HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#55|Feb. 11, 2012|Rangers at Flyers|1:00 p.m. ET

Old
02-11-2012, 08:41 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Some quotes by Timonen...

"Every game matters & you have to bring it every night. I donít care who you are. If youíre 18 or 40, it doesnít matter to me."

"Sometimes we go up and down. Then you lose games. Thatís not the way championship teams play."

"It was a big game for us and I was expecting more. "

"To be honest, I think we had half the guys going, half the guys not."
So last year at this time, the comments from the players were that guys were not only not on the same page but not even on the same chapter. Is the bolded comment this year's version of the same thing? And is there going to be another massive turnover once the season is done?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:43 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I am old school. That crap stays in house. If he is supposed to be a team leader well I guess he is not doing his job very well. Because what I take from his comments is that at least two of his d partners are dogging it among others. There is nothing worse than hanging your dirty laundry out in the media. Guys will not forget this.This team sure does miss it's captian. But going public will only fracture this team more and with all these rookies playing right now their heads must be really spining. The Philly media is just loving Kimmo.I wonder now how much longer Danny keeps his "A". At least Matt Read said he was not playing well the other day. Kimmo should look in a mirror. We are officially in the dog days of the season.
I love Kimmo but I agree, he needs to stop saying this to the media.

Funny thing, tonight the Leafs honoured Mats Sundin. Pat Quinn was talking about him on the radio and said he was a good, quiet leader who led by example and never yelled. He then said that those who yell are usually madder at themselves than at their teammates. So maybe Kimmo is mad at himself and is blaming everyone.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:46 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Also, Briere has been totally worthless this season. This guy and his salary are dragging down whatever line he plays on.

Jagr has also been AWFUL for a few weeks now. Turns the puck over on the blueline 5 times a game
Oh wait he will turn it on in the playoffs. Jagr does seem to carry the puck more in traffic than he did at the beginning of the season

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post

Funny thing, tonight the Leafs honoured Mats Sundin. Pat Quinn was talking about him on the radio and said he was a good, quiet leader who led by example and never yelled. He then said that those who yell are usually madder at themselves than at their teammates. So maybe Kimmo is mad at himself and is blaming everyone.
Ah where have the days of Bobby Clarke gone? That man did just as much behind the scenes as he did on the ice when he was captain. He had the backing of the coach and owner. Ah well times have changed I guess. But not all for the better I tell you.

PS Toronto is getting killed 5-0 by Montreal. Calling B.B. This is Homer.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post

Agree, Kimmo's comments really annoyed me today for some reason.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Ah where have the days of Bobby Clarke gone? That man did just as much behind the scenes as he did on the ice when he was captain. He had the backing of the coach and owner. Ah well times have changed I guess. But not all for the better I tell you.

PS Toronto is getting killed 5-0 by Montreal. Calling B.B. This is Homer.
Leafs absolutely sucked tonight. What a damper for Hockey Day in Canada and Mats Sundin night.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:07 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
only Bob imploded today. isn't it the goalie's job to pick up the D when they make a mistake ? or that only applied when Bryz played NYR.

got news for you: at no time in Bry's game vs NYR did he look as Bad @ Bob did swimming laps as goal #5 was put by him today

Kimmo was right: the difference vs NYR is that their goalie covers up their mistakes .... today: Bob ? not so much
no offense, but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, once again. Pick the D up? You have got to be kidding me. Did you even bother to watch the game. Only goal he could have saved was Cally's first goal. Every other goal was either a back door goal with the guy standing by himself and no one within 10 feet of him, or a deflection goal.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:29 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
no offense, but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about, once again. Pick the D up? You have got to be kidding me. Did you even bother to watch the game. Only goal he could have saved was Cally's first goal. Every other goal was either a back door goal with the guy standing by himself and no one within 10 feet of him, or a deflection goal.
don't even waist your time, logic will not prevail when dealing with Bernie Parent 1974.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Some quotes by Timonen...

"Every game matters & you have to bring it every night. I donít care who you are. If youíre 18 or 40, it doesnít matter to me."

"Sometimes we go up and down. Then you lose games. Thatís not the way championship teams play."

"It was a big game for us and I was expecting more. "

"To be honest, I think we had half the guys going, half the guys not."
Isn't it the veteran leader's job to GET them going? Where were YOU Kimmo?

Lead by example, not by whining.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:54 PM
BernieParent

Same crap, different season. If it's February, the Flyers are swooning. I appreciate your posting that vid, older Bernie Parent, because it demonstrated how absolutely pitiful the defensive coverage was. Pretty much every Flyers skater in the view blew their assignment. How 3 defenders allow the Ranger forward (Hagelin?) to move to the opposite post, and when he whiffed, Callahan was able to walk out uncontested, pick up the puck, and take his sweet time shooting into the open net.

The Flyer D zone coverage is abysmal. What exactly do they practice?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Same crap, different season. If it's February, the Flyers are swooning. I appreciate your posting that vid, older Bernie Parent, because it demonstrated how absolutely pitiful the defensive coverage was. Pretty much every Flyers skater in the view blew their assignment. How 3 defenders allow the Ranger forward (Hagelin?) to move to the opposite post, and when he whiffed, Callahan was able to walk out uncontested, pick up the puck, and take his sweet time shooting into the open net.

The Flyer D zone coverage is abysmal. What exactly do they practice?
Follow the shiny red ball?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:11 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
took you guys quite long to see our def isnt competitive, all you did was blaming bryz
It's not just defence- the entire team sucks in defencive zone leaving a goalie helpless. Flyers could have Lundquist or thomas in the net today to much the same result.

As for the offence, they always look a fraction of the second behind the paly, passing is inacurate and therefore they are easily marjed by the opposing D or goalie reads the play well and sees the puck. It feels at times that they have not practiced together and really do not play great offencievely. I know, they did score a lot of goals, but right now they are not an offencive threat for any decent defencive team.

Lundquist did have a very few difficult saves today, the rest of them were easy by any goalie standards.

I have been torched on this forum, but I need to get it off my chest- Flyers do not look like a well coached team. They do not execute any system. I do not really know if they tuned out a coach, or the coach's system just "smoke and mirrors"

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Ranger fan here.

just a quick comment.

Considering the ridiculous level of injuries you guys have had this season, coupled with the crazy amount of turnover from the offseason...from an outsiders point of view, its tough to be pissed off about a team only a 3 game swing out of the best record in the East.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:56 AM
drownedsailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Ranger fan here.

just a quick comment.

Considering the ridiculous level of injuries you guys have had this season, coupled with the crazy amount of turnover from the offseason...from an outsiders point of view, its tough to be pissed off about a team only a 3 game swing out of the best record in the East.
We're not going anywhere in the Post season with this D which is why everyone's overreacting.

It's so much more than this game and the Standings...

drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:57 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
It's not just defence- the entire team sucks in defencive zone leaving a goalie helpless. Flyers could have Lundquist or thomas in the net today to much the same result.

As for the offence, they always look a fraction of the second behind the paly, passing is inacurate and therefore they are easily marjed by the opposing D or goalie reads the play well and sees the puck. It feels at times that they have not practiced together and really do not play great offencievely. I know, they did score a lot of goals, but right now they are not an offencive threat for any decent defencive team.

Lundquist did have a very few difficult saves today, the rest of them were easy by any goalie standards.

I have been torched on this forum, but I need to get it off my chest- Flyers do not look like a well coached team. They do not execute any system. I do not really know if they tuned out a coach, or the coach's system just "smoke and mirrors"

Well they could always get rid of the players that tune him out and don't buy into his system AGAIN....

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:01 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Well they could always get rid of the players that tune him out and don't buy into his system AGAIN....
Still think Lavy should do what Torts does, which is sit players if they don't do well enough.

Old
02-12-2012, 01:01 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Ranger fan here.

just a quick comment.

Years of this team buying at the deadline and always being a contender(or doing everything we could to be one) have made us spoiled to the point where we can't accept mediocrity, even if it is for the better in the long run. In the summer, many predicted a 6-8th finish, or missing the playoffs entirely. We're in 4th right now. Early season success made the fanbase think that this year would be just like every year before, that all these rookies and new faces playing huge roles would pick up right off where one of the best young 1-2 center punches in the world left off when they left. Basically, we've been spoiled and can no longer take a step back to take a look at the big picture.

BillyShoe1721 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:04 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Still think Lavy should do what Torts does, which is sit players if they don't do well enough.
I'm pretty sure Briere has sat a few periods this season

02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Torts till sit a player for a period if they make a big mistake. He will move a player down the lineup if hes struggling but playing hard and smart (ie, cant score) if your line is playing well in that game, he's going to keep rolling it out, even if it isnt the most skilled line. if all the lines are playing like crap, he switches everything up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:07 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm pretty sure Briere has sat a few periods this season
No I mean he sits the players from the games, as in scratches them.

Old
02-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
No I mean he sits the players from the games, as in scratches them.
Well, he did that to JVR last year, if I'm remembering correctly.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:36 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Well, he did that to JVR last year, if I'm remembering correctly.
I think in this case, it should be much broader. Show it to Carle by replacing him by Lilja. I'm sure that might do something.

Old
02-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
I think in this case, it should be much broader. Show it to Carle by replacing him by Lilja. I'm sure that might do something.
Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh that's hard to justify. A bad Carle game is nothing like a bad Lilja game. Just imagine Lilja playing 20 minutes.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:02 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Eeeeeeeehhhhhhh that's hard to justify. A bad Carle game is nothing like a bad Lilja game. Just imagine Lilja playing 20 minutes.
Then don't play him for 20 minutes. If need be, make someone else get the time. The last time Lilja played, I don't think he did that bad. Better than Carle has been. He at least nailed someone.

Old
02-12-2012, 05:54 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Funny how Kimmo's words suggest the team is split again. Funny how some of the players that were moved actually played well defensively. Lavi's system is just not good enough when you don't think of defense as something important. Just in watching 24/7 you can see that Torts has a far better finger on the team's pulse than Lavi does. He sits guys out for playing badly which is something Lavi should have done early in the season. He should have done it to Briere for his lacklustre play and his repeated stupid penalties but it seems he won't ever go against the older guys.