Notices

2012 NHL Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2012, 05:23 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
I'd much rather a forward with some offensive capabilities, but if it is a defenseman that they take, I would have no complaints with Trouba being "THE GUY".

These are the way I rank the forwards I think we'll have a chance at

- Girgensons
- Collberg
- Faksa
- Hertl
- Teravainen

Haven't been overly impressed with Gaunce, but players tend to grow on me after more viewings.

And these are how I rank the defensemen

- Trouba
- Ceci
- Reinhart
- Reilly
- Maatta
- Bystrom

Wouldn't mind selecting a goalie by the 3rd round either. Would be nice to have a good young goaltender coming up through the system.

Last edited by untouchable21: 02-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old
02-12-2012, 02:02 AM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
saw a couple mock drafts with us taking Sebastian Collberg...anyone have any info on this guy? hes pretty small tho 5'11 174lbs

Old
02-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 2252
I actually just thought I'd share some of the sites that I like to read material on the upcoming prospects on. For any of those that are interested

Those are a few of the sites that I enjoy perusing.

Old
02-12-2012, 06:33 AM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I actually just thought I'd share some of the sites that I like to read material on the upcoming prospects on. For any of those that are interested

Those are a few of the sites that I enjoy perusing.
Good list. Here are some additional ones:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...layout=default
http://dansallows.com/
http://mnhockeyprospects.com/
Major scouting services

Most blog's mentioned above are operated people who also post on HF.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1982 View Post
Good list. Here are some additional ones:

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/
http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...layout=default
http://dansallows.com/
http://mnhockeyprospects.com/
Major scouting services

Most blog's mentioned above are operated people who also post on HF.
Good list man. I totally forgot to add dobber and dansallows, I had them in another folder in my bookmarks. Never been to the mnhockeyprspects site though.

Old
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Sweech
COYS!

I was just thinking...Imagine if we drafted Tom Wilson from the Plymouth Whalers and both he and Adam Lowry ended up panning out. (I really do believe that Adam will).

That would be two very intimidating players on the wings.

Old
02-12-2012, 05:15 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I was just thinking...Imagine if we drafted Tom Wilson from the Plymouth Whalers and both he and Adam Lowry ended up panning out. (I really do believe that Adam will).

That would be two very intimidating players on the wings.
Can you tell me a bit about Lowry? I know he is injured now and I know he is the captain and seems tough and productive. Can you paint a picture for a bro about how you see him fitting in one day?

Edit: great avatar by the way......a true front mans front man!

Old
02-12-2012, 07:40 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Can you tell me a bit about Lowry? I know he is injured now and I know he is the captain and seems tough and productive. Can you paint a picture for a bro about how you see him fitting in one day?

Edit: great avatar by the way......a true front mans front man!
He seems like the prototypical work in progress type of prospect. He grew quite a lot in a short time frame, so he's still getting used to his body and needs to fill out his frame. Despite his size he is very adept at skating (probably comes from having a former NHLer/coach as a father).

To me he projects as a great powerforward/complimentary winger, think Scott Hartnell. He also has a great personality, and from what I take from his interviews and scout opinions it seems he is his own harshest critic. He seems to want to gravitate towards the gritty rough and tumble game, which he is perfectly fine with playing, but he also has a ton of skill. It almost seems like he'd rather play the grit game than the skill game, even though he's shown the ability to do both. I have sometimes worried that he may be mentally limiting himself in this area.

He also has insane determination level. As can be seen from the fact that he fractured his wrist in the 4th game of the season and was still able to contribute physically and on the scoreboard with regularity before the diagnosis of the injury was discovered, which he later had to have surgery for.

I really think he has all the tools: size, skating, and skill and simply needs to work on putting it all together at the fast pace the game is at today. His bloodlines and dedication to the game and to improving himself are only pluses for him.

That being said I still hold that he's a long term project. I see him being slowly worked into the jets' system. Finishing his OHL term and then playing AHL for a season or two before becoming a Jets regular. I obviously have a very high opinion on him and will definitely go on record to say that I have absolutely no doubt that he'll become an NHLer.

Edit: Found a decent article on Lowry's injury for ya: http://shawnmullin.wordpress.com/201...lowry-injured/

Last edited by Sweech: 02-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old
02-12-2012, 08:46 PM
ps241
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He seems like the prototypical work in progress type of prospect. He grew quite a lot in a short time frame, so he's still getting used to his body and needs to fill out his frame. Despite his size he is very adept at skating (probably comes from having a former NHLer/coach as a father).

To me he projects as a great powerforward/complimentary winger, think Scott Hartnell. He also has a great personality, and from what I take from his interviews and scout opinions it seems he is his own harshest critic. He seems to want to gravitate towards the gritty rough and tumble game, which he is perfectly fine with playing, but he also has a ton of skill. It almost seems like he'd rather play the grit game than the skill game, even though he's shown the ability to do both. I have sometimes worried that he may be mentally limiting himself in this area.

He also has insane determination level. As can be seen from the fact that he fractured his wrist in the 4th game of the season and was still able to contribute physically and on the scoreboard with regularity before the diagnosis of the injury was discovered, which he later had to have surgery for.

I really think he has all the tools: size, skating, and skill and simply needs to work on putting it all together at the fast pace the game is at today. His bloodlines and dedication to the game and to improving himself are only pluses for him.

That being said I still hold that he's a long term project. I see him being slowly worked into the jets' system. Finishing his OHL term and then playing AHL for a season or two before becoming a Jets regular. I obviously have a very high opinion on him and will definitely go on record to say that I have absolutely no doubt that he'll become an NHLer.

Edit: Found a decent article on Lowry's injury for ya: http://shawnmullin.wordpress.com/201...lowry-injured/
Thanks allot

I love what I am reading since I have a soft spot for gritty guys with character. I have mentioned it before but if I had one player that I would love to add to the Jets it would be David Clarkson from the Devils. He is a piece that would fit in perfectly on our 2nd line and PP. He is so tough to compete against!

I am looking forward To follow Lowry's progress over the years he seems like my kind of player. Seems like a solid 3rd round pick and I remember everyone ( the experts) liking the pick when it happened.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:16 AM
Sweech
COYS!

A guy I think we should look out for us drafting perhaps in the 6th or 7th round is Pascal Zerressen. He's a big German defenseman. He's an overager at 19 though. Here's a Q&A with him: http://dansallows.com/interview-pascal-zerressen/

The reason I think we may draft him is because I think we'll have scouting on him through our European scout Dean Fedorchuk. Dean was a late addition to the scouting staff and I know he is based out of Germany and has experience in the DEL specifically (in fact I believe he stated on his resume that he was willing to scout in the DEL). I'm positive that if he likes what he sees the team will use a later pick to draft the kid. His size and attitude make him sound very attractive to Chevy and co.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
A guy I think we should look out for us drafting perhaps in the 6th or 7th round is Pascal Zerressen. He's a big German defenseman. He's an overager at 19 though. Here's a Q&A with him: http://dansallows.com/interview-pascal-zerressen/

The reason I think we may draft him is because I think we'll have scouting on him through our European scout Dean Fedorchuk. Dean was a late addition to the scouting staff and I know he is based out of Germany and has experience in the DEL specifically (in fact I believe he stated on his resume that he was willing to scout in the DEL). I'm positive that if he likes what he sees the team will use a later pick to draft the kid. His size and attitude make him sound very attractive to Chevy and co.
I'd rather draft Jason Kasdorf with those late round picks.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'd rather draft Jason Kasdorf with those late round picks.
I think the Jets may end up taking at the minimum one token 'pegger in every draft.

This year they may go with a goalie again and take Chris Driedger. He's pretty good too.

I'd actually laugh if that happened for real though and it's not like it's outside the realm of possibility either.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I think the Jets may end up taking at the minimum one token 'pegger in every draft.

This year they may go with a goalie again and take Chris Driedger. He's pretty good too.

I'd actually laugh if that happened for real though and it's not like it's outside the realm of possibility either.
They could market it as a local reality show. Have locals compete for a chance to be the Jets 7th round pick, lol.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Huffer

vCash: 958
I know we haven't talked about the draft a lot lately with all the buzz and attention to the playoff push.

For discussion sake, if we assume that we are picking somewhere around 13-16, does that change anyone's mind on who we should take, or who might be around at that spot?

Old
03-07-2012, 12:10 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I know we haven't talked about the draft a lot lately with all the buzz and attention to the playoff push.

For discussion sake, if we assume that we are picking somewhere around 13-16, does that change anyone's mind on who we should take, or who might be around at that spot?
what a tough question a couple weeks ago i was sold on us needing a big top 6 type forward but i like how our top 6 has played so far and wouldn't be all that upset if they took a D-Man. That being said im sure they just go for the best available guy and not with a position of need

Old
03-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
what a tough question a couple weeks ago i was sold on us needing a big top 6 type forward but i like how our top 6 has played so far and wouldn't be all that upset if they took a D-Man. That being said im sure they just go for the best available guy and not with a position of need
That's the way I'm looking at it.

In that spot, just take the best guy available and in all likelihood it's going to be a defenseman. If Trouba fell that far I would be ecstatic.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Quote:
That's the way I'm looking at it.

In that spot, just take the best guy available and in all likelihood it's going to be a defenseman. If Trouba fell that far I would be ecstatic.
Well that's not any Fun....

Seriously though, I am a big believer in BPA myself.

I'm just trying to get some discussion going. There have to be some guys here that have seen a lot of these prospects. For someone like myself who hasn't seen any of them, it's cool to hear people's opinions.

Here is a top 30 from draftsite.com. (Not saying it's the best or anything)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1128449

Some interesting names in our range. And Gaunce is at 23.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:24 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:

I'm just trying to get some discussion going. There have to be some guys here that have seen a lot of these prospects. For someone like myself who hasn't seen any of them, it's cool to hear people's opinions.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Zemgus Girgensons
Ht/Wt: 6' 2"/175 lbs
Position: C
Team: Dubuque (USHL)

Quote:
A native of Riga, Latvia, Zemgus Girgensons has been a pleasant surprise in North America. He has good size, soft hands and a physical edge to his game that make him a can't-miss prospect. Girgensons has great skating stride and he plays well at all ends of the ice. He has tremendous leadership despite not knowing a lot of English. His first season in North America with the USHL's Dubuque Fighting Saints was a huge success, nearly going a point per game, and winning the Clark Cup as league champion that season. A smart, two-way centre, he can play in all situations and he can be counted on for also dishing out the big hit when needed. He has acclimatized quite nicely to the North American style. Girgensons will be entering his second season with the Saints in 2011-12, expected to fill the leadership and offensive gap left behind with the graduation of Calgary Flames draft pick John Gaudreau. Although picked in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft by the WHL's Kelowna Rockets, Girgensons has committed to playing at the University of Vermont starting in 2012-13. He will also be given the chance to shine at the 2012 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships for his native Latvia when the tournament is held in Calgary and Edmonton over the Christmas holidays. He needs to work on his speed a bit more since his stature is a bit lanky but that will improve in time. Once he fills out, he could become an elite power forward. Girgensons has a bright future and he is a great role model for young hockey players in Latvia.
Submitted by: Margann Laurissa

Old
03-07-2012, 12:25 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

I want a kid form ontario

Old
03-07-2012, 12:29 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Personally, I'm more interested in late round picks than I am in early round picks. Some potential late round steals IMO:

Alessio Bertaggia (Brandon)
Christoph Bertschy (Bern)
Mathew Campagna (Sudbury)
Gianluca Curcuruto (Sault Ste. Marie)
Tomas Filippi (Baie-Comeau)
Alex Gudbranson (Kingston)
Nikita Gusev (CSKA 2)
Tomas Hyka (Gatineau)
Denis Kamaev (Rouyn-Noranda)
Andrey Makarov (Saskatoon)
Jake McCabe (University of Wisconsin)
Tanner Richard (Guelph)
Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon)
Erik Thorell (Farjestad)

Old
03-07-2012, 12:40 PM
mondo3

BPA isnt always a fair assessment, as there could be 2 players with the similar ratings who play different positions. you might have a choice between your 14th rated center and your 15th rated goalie, so you can still draft based upon need. different scenario if you'd prefer a goalie but the next one available in your rankings is rated 25th; then you'd likely go BPA.

Old
03-07-2012, 12:47 PM
Joe Hallenback

Any guy the Jets get is probably at least 2 years away from making the lineup.

My preference is they take a D hopefully someone falls in the 15-20 range like a Cody Ceci

Old
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Zemgus Girgensons
I only saw him play during the WJHC, and he didn't have a great team to help him out. How has he been this year? Have you seen him play?

Old
03-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I want a kid form ontario
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Personally, I'm more interested in late round picks than I am in early round picks. Some potential late round steals IMO:

Nikita Gusev (CSKA 2)
Tomas Hyka (Gatineau)
Tanner Richard (Guelph)
Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon)
Erik Thorell (Farjestad)
Interesting. Any idea which round these guys could go in? I'm assuming you have watched these guys and they have impressed you?

Old
03-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:

Wow, Faksa at 14, Girgensons at 16, GAUNCE AT 23! This one is the most different rankings I have seen. Dansk is the top goalie, in the mid first round . Have not seen anyone else rank him above Vasilevski or Subban, and he is usually mid to late 2nd round. Interesting.

Quote:

Zemgus Girgensons
I'd be very happy with that pick. Good skater, big kid, plays a very safe sound two way game. Projects into a Rod Brind A'mour two way center type, Scheifele-Girgensons - Burmistrov down the middle in a few years would absolutely deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post

Nikita Gusev (CSKA 2)
Tomas Hyka (Gatineau)
Tanner Richard (Guelph)
Lukas Sutter (Saskatoon)
Erik Thorell (Farjestad)
I'll comment on some of the guys I know.

Bertschy is an interesting player. Got good hands, skates well, but from what I saw plays the perimeter too much. I was frusterated with him at the WJC, I was expectng more.

Hyka might go as high as 2nd round. Well known for Philly blunder in camp last year (Philly tried to sign him, but found out they couldn't since he played in Europe last year), he has great wheels and very good hands.

Alex Gudbrandson is the younger brother of FLA top pick Erik Gudbrandson, so he has good bloodlines, but he does not have the top end talent of Erik. He has just 9 points on the year. But he does have a nasty edge to his game, and likes to hit.

The rest I don't know too too much about, hearing very good things about Nikita Gusev though.

Also, doubt anyone cares, but I am drafting for WPG in a 7 round mock draft and so far I have taken...

Round 1 (9th) - C Radek Faksa, Kitchener (OHL)
Round 2 (39th) - C Henrik Samuelsson, Edmonton (WHL)
Round 3 (69th) - D Trevor Carrick, Mississauga (OHL)
Round 5 (129th) - G Patrik Bartosak, Red Deer (WHL)
Round 6 (159th) -
Round 7 (189th) -

Closed Thread