HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nolan and King SIMPLE HOCKEY

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2012, 12:27 AM
  #1
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Nolan and King SIMPLE HOCKEY

King and Nolan looked great cause they went to the Net. It's that simple really, they both played a really simple game.

They paid the price to get into the prime scoring area, Nolan with a little more skill could have had two goals(this guy is a 7th rounder).

Simmer lives around the net (that's why he is scoring). Nolan went through two NYI on his really good chance. The Kings need to pay the price to score.

Nolan and King will score cause they play a simple game, and crash the Net.

They don't waste time doing head fakes, or trying to get a perfect shot through four shins.

When Nolan and King won BOARD BATTLES ,THEY TOOK IT TOO THE NET freakin imagine that.

Maybe Morris should coach the Kings, cause his kids did in one game what the Kings have lacked (consistantly) all year. Loki doesn't score much, he does attack Center ice (more than Kopitar sadly). Slava, no need to point out how good he has been.

All these kids coached by Morris.

(Tony suggested they deserve a separate thread.)


Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 12:38 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:50 AM
  #2
TwoForRoughing
Building a Dynasty
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
I really liked the way those two played tonight. You could tell both were nervous and somewhat hesitant, but they played simple, yet effective hockey after the first period. The two of them (along with Rick) generated I think three solid scoring chances.

In general though, I'm not as high on King as I am on Nolan. I just love the way Jordan plays. He's not afraid to drop the gloves with anyone and he plays with great energy. He's smart too. It would not shock me one bit to see him as the Kings' permanent 4th line LW in the future.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:06 AM
  #3
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 7,361
vCash: 500
Nolan could make me temporarily forget about Simmonds.

Some players like Nolan, Clifford and Simmonds can make the jump to the NHL quicker and look to adjust better than most players because of the combination of size and hands. Nolan back checked once to block up a shot in the slot, elbowed Tavares in the head while barrelling toward the net and threw 1-2 heavy checks. That's not counting his almost 2-3 goals he scored.

He plays hard and goes to the tough areas and with his size and attitude he is tough to move. That alone could make an NHL career.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:19 AM
  #4
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
King and Nolan looked great cause they went to the Net. It's that simple really, they both played a really simple game.

They paid the price to get into the prime scoring area, Nolan with a little more skill could have had two goals(this guy is a 7th rounder).

Simmer lives around the net (that's why he is scoring). Nolan went through two NYI on his really good chance. The Kings need to pay the price to score.

Nolan and King will score cause they play a simple game, and crash the Net.

They don't waste time doing head fakes, or trying to get a perfect shot through four shins.

When Nolan and King won BOARD BATTLES ,THEY TOOK IT TOO THE NET freakin imagine that.

Maybe Morris should coach the Kings, cause his kids did in one game what the Kings have lacked (consistantly) all year. Loki doesn't score much, he does attack Center ice (more than Kopitar sadly). Slava, no need to point out how good he has been.

All these kids coached by Morris.

(Tony suggested they deserve a separate thread.)
Wait, the Kings' system doesn't allow that, right?

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:22 AM
  #5
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Wait, the Kings' system doesn't allow that, right?
It doe, But you need players WILLING TO DO THAT.


Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 02:00 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:37 AM
  #6
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Jason Lewis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,236
vCash: 500
So this either means...the rest of these players are trying to unlearn the effects of Terry Murray and his perimeter offense still..


Or they are just plain soft pansies and don't want to drive the center lane.

Cause Nolan and King did it today and both had some great scoring chances...maybe the best scoring chances.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:55 AM
  #7
TwoForRoughing
Building a Dynasty
 
TwoForRoughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: UCLA, Los Angeles
Posts: 2,312
vCash: 500
Clifford-Andreoff-Nolan

*drool...*

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:56 AM
  #8
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!
 
FrozenKing18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: So Cal
Country: United States
Posts: 5,895
vCash: 500
Those 2 played great.

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:12 AM
  #9
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs
 
DocWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 10,639
vCash: 500
Watching those two was the best part of the game.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:31 AM
  #10
redcard
Registered User
 
redcard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,772
vCash: 500
They started a little slow, and it looked like they were just wasting Richards, but that last shift of the second from Nolan was the best shift of any player in the game. From then on it looked like they settled in pretty well.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 03:31 AM
  #11
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast
 
Seventyx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Norcal
Country: United States
Posts: 1,164
vCash: 500
They seemed to energize Richards too. Hopefully they bring that effort every game. If so it will be hard to send them down.

Seventyx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:26 AM
  #12
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
It doe, But you need players WILLING TO DO THAT.
This right here indicates that it's not a systems issue, its a player issue.

I agree, there is nothing in the Kings system that prevents them from driving the net, there was a game, a few games ago, can't remember which one, we won 3-1, it was Penner's goal, I believe it was Stoll gets the puck from the corner, and looks to the D, which is fine, but the path to the net was clear, he ends up losing the puck, Richards gets it, drives to the net, and can't remember if he passed it or it bounced out, but Penner drove it to the top corner...

Either way, that goal happened because Richards drove to the net, with the puck.

It's a simple concept.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
  #13
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry
 
Rorschach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 7,144
vCash: 500
I wouldn't get too attached to either of these guys. It would make a lot of sense that we're bringing up guys we intend to trade in order to do that "showcase" thing while sending down the one guy we intend to keep (Voynov), instead of unloading some underperforming and now overpaid (by a lot) vets.

DL has a tendency to show a lot, maybe too much, loyalty to the NHLers on the squad that have actually played in the NHL while he was in office and trade prospects off instead.

- R
.><.

Rorschach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
  #14
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
I wouldn't get too attached to either of these guys. It would make a lot of sense that we're bringing up guys we intend to trade in order to do that "showcase" thing while sending down the one guy we intend to keep (Voynov), instead of unloading some underperforming and now overpaid (by a lot) vets.

DL has a tendency to show a lot, maybe too much, loyalty to the NHLers on the squad that have actually played in the NHL while he was in office and trade prospects off instead.

- R
.><.
Nope

This is more like Stoll and Penner are gone or waived. No team is eager to help the Kings scoring woes.

The Deadline has far more buyers than sellers. Even Carolina is now thinking of locking up Rutuu.

The Senators Gm just said he will not be active at all (cause the asking price for any UFA is too high). ETC ETC.

This is Dean trying to find anyone willing to pay the price to score. Slava was sent down simply because he doesn't have to go through waivers. They were close to Manchester, Slava can now play all weekend and not sit.

With the Market being so bare. Dean would be smart to get anything for Stoll and Penner. Some team will take a chance on those two guys (if the asking price is low).

They may even give up a Prospect (winger) stuck behind depth.


Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:57 AM
  #15
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Nope

This is more like Stoll and Penner are gone or waived. No team is eager to help the Kings scoring woes.

The Deadline has far more buyers than sellers. Even Carolina is now thinking of locking up Rutuu.

The Senators Gm just said he will not be active at all (cause the asking price for any UFA is too high). ETC ETC.

This is Dean trying to find anyone willing to pay the price to score. Slava was sent down simply because he doesn't have to go through waivers. They were close to Manchester, Slava can now play all weekend and not sit.
Pretty much this, I expect Penner to be traded, he has been playing well lately, but too little too late in his case...

Stoll I can see them keeping around and letting him walk....they value his faceoffs more than the fans do.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:17 AM
  #16
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Those guys did more in one game than Penner & Stoll have done all season.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
  #17
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
This right here indicates that it's not a systems issue, its a player issue.

It's a simple concept.


Yeah, 2 rookies who have had one practice with the team is playing the Kings system.

Maybe they were just playing the style of hockey that everyone outside of LA plays? Maybe they were told to just play a simple game because they do not know the Kings system. Nah that can't be it, they are just two hockey geniuses that picked up the system in one practice and showed everyone that has been playing the system for 3+ years how it is done. ffs.

How many players have come to LA and played great for 5 or so games and then tail off as they learn the defensive system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I agree, there is nothing in the Kings system that prevents them from driving the net, there was a game, a few games ago, can't remember which one, we won 3-1, it was Penner's goal, I believe it was Stoll gets the puck from the corner, and looks to the D, which is fine, but the path to the net was clear, he ends up losing the puck, Richards gets it, drives to the net, and can't remember if he passed it or it bounced out, but Penner drove it to the top corner...
LOL!

As far as the Penner goal from the high slot, it was a wrap-around attempt by Richards (after he received a PASS from Stoll, not a turnover), Richards lost control of the puck and tried to kick it to his stick and fanned on the shot, but it ended up in the high slot where the F3 forward was in a defensive position and one-timed the loose puck into the top corner. Completely broken play, not exactly a set play with a player driving the net, but go ahead and imagine it differently if it makes you feel better. ffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2011020792

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:27 AM
  #18
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
They seemed to energize Richards too. Hopefully they bring that effort every game. If so it will be hard to send them down.
I hope that does continue and given the nerves that has to occur in your first NHL game, I thought Nolan adjusted well as the game went on and I did see a connection with Richards. Richards has always been good working with rookies, did it quite well in Phlly because he's smart and has a lot of patience (and spend a lot of extra time in pratkices when they'd first come up, working with them Last year he did that trying to improve Nod's hands and coordition ). That line should get better every game.

I think most Kings fans liked what that size, engery and tenacity of the two rookies brought and I think that will get better today and the rest of the week.

What happens when Stoll comes off IR? And Penner was a healthy scracth yesterday.
I don't want Stoll or Penner anywhere near Richards. I was hoping that DL would trade for a winger ane Richards would inherit who ever fell off Kopi's line.

WHere to Stoll and Penner fit going forward?

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:30 AM
  #19
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
I hope that does continue and given the nerves that has to occur in your first NHL game, I thought Nolan adjusted well as the game went on and I did see a connection with Richards. Richards has always been good working with rookies, did it quite well in Phlly because he's smart and has a lot of patience (and spend a lot of extra time in pratkices when they'd first come up, working with them Last year he did that trying to improve Nod's hands and coordition ). That line should get better every game.

I think most Kings fans liked what that size, engery and tenacity of the two rookies brought and I think that will get better today and the rest of the week.

What happens when Stoll comes off IR? And Penner was a healthy scracth yesterday.
I don't want Stoll or Penner anywhere near Richards. I was hoping that DL would trade for a winger ane Richards would inherit who ever fell off Kopi's line.

WHere to Stoll and Penner fit going forward?
If Dean is smart, waived or traded for a prospect Winger, or low draft pick.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
  #20
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post


Yeah, 2 rookies who have had one practice with the team is playing the Kings system.

Maybe they were just playing the style of hockey that everyone outside of LA plays? Maybe they were told to just play a simple game because they do not know the Kings system. Nah that can't be it, they are just two hockey geniuses that picked up the system in one practice and showed everyone that has been playing the system for 3+ years how it is done. ffs.

How many players have come to LA and played great for 5 or so games and then tail off as they learn the defensive system?



LOL!

As far as the Penner goal from the high slot, it was a wrap-around attempt by Richards (after he received a PASS from Stoll, not a turnover), Richards lost control of the puck and tried to kick it to his stick and fanned on the shot, but it ended up in the high slot where the F3 forward was in a defensive position and one-timed the loose puck into the top corner. Completely broken play, not exactly a set play with a player driving the net, but go ahead and imagine it differently if it makes you feel better. ffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2011020792
The only thing off is that it wasn't a turnover by Stoll.

Richards drove the net, in fact, that's pretty damn much a prequiste for a wrap around attempt, don't you think??

Yea, it was a broken play, but if Richards doesn't drive the net, the puck doesn't bounce out to Penner, does it?

Take a look at what Stoll did vs what Richards did..maybe you can find Waldo in there...

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
  #21
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post


Yeah, 2 rookies who have had one practice with the team is playing the Kings system.

Maybe they were just playing the style of hockey that everyone outside of LA plays? Maybe they were told to just play a simple game because they do not know the Kings system. Nah that can't be it, they are just two hockey geniuses that picked up the system in one practice and showed everyone that has been playing the system for 3+ years how it is done. ffs.

How many players have come to LA and played great for 5 or so games and then tail off as they learn the defensive system?



As far as the Penner goal from the high slot, it was a wrap-around attempt by Richards (after he received a PASS from Stoll, not a turnover), Richards lost control of the puck and tried to kick it to his stick and fanned on the shot, but it ended up in the high slot where the F3 forward was in a defensive position and one-timed the loose puck into the top corner. Completely broken play, not exactly a set play with a player driving the net, but go ahead and imagine it differently if it makes you feel better. ffs.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2011020792
Ron Hextall is the GM of Manchester, I will try and find it for you. But I am pretty sure the Monarchs run the same system as the Kings.

Hextall set it up that way, so Prospects would not be lost on the parent club for call ups. He talked about that in an interview, I will try and find it for you.

Here it is on the Monarchs Website:

Ron Hextall:

"I think the worst thing a player can do is come up from the minor leagues, to this level where the game is faster, and then all of a sudden he starts thinking about everything and he gets behind the 8-ball,'' Hextall said. ``The transition should be made as smoothly as possible when you're coming up a level.

"We play the same system down there as we do up here. The coaches went through the training camp just so that when guys do come up, they're playing an instinctual game."

So with that said, Nolan and King are just willing to pay the price (so far).


Last edited by damacles1156: 02-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.
damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
  #22
verbalkint47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: oc
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Nolan needs to ditch the visor. Like the fact that King doesn't wear one. Less visors = more cajones.

verbalkint47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
  #23
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room
 
KINGS17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 17,478
vCash: 500
I thought everyone knew that they play the same system in Manchester as they do in LA.

KINGS17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:06 PM
  #24
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I thought everyone knew that they play the same system in Manchester as they do in LA.
One of the Manchester faithful can correct me.

But I am pretty sure Morris just coaches it with more pace, Slighty more uptempo if you will.

But the X's and O's are the same(from what I have seen). I have watched only a handful of the Monarchs games. They look like a fast team, cause they move the puck quickly(at least they try too).

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:12 PM
  #25
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint47 View Post
Nolan needs to ditch the visor. Like the fact that King doesn't wear one. Less visors = more cajones.
Yes because wearing a visor has stopped Noaln from racking up PIM's in the AHL? But hey more balls, less eyes!!!!

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.