HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expected Report Saying Beacon Sports To Bring Double-A Affiliated Baseball

Old
02-10-2012, 04:12 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
AAA and A didn't work. Why would AA?
As someone who grew up almost living and breathing baseball, I'd rather see a AA game than a AAA game.

In AAA, you tend to get a league full of "tweeners". Anyone who follows baseball is familiar with "AAAA" players: guys who can dominate minor league baseball, but can't break through to the majors for whatever reason (Jake Fox being the first guy who comes to mind).

AA ball is great baseball. The game's true superstars usually spend very little time in AAA ball... they play up to AA ball and get called right up to the majors. The pace of the game is very fun, and the discrepancy in talent usually leads to very fun games.

The best analogy I can make is that AAA ball = the AHL, while AA ball = OHL.
AA ball is almost exclusively younger players who leave it all out on the field, and has very little of the "aging once-was-a-star" and "old and bitter ballplayer" syndrome that AAA ball sometimes suffers from.

It's just really fun baseball. If I can't have a MLB team, AA ball is my next choice.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Inkling
Bulls Belong in Blvl

Quote:
AAA and A didn't work. Why would AA?
When did Ottawa ever have single A?

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
The team that's likely relocating to Ottawa are the Binghamton Mets... who are currently affiliated with the NY Mets... but affiliation talks haven't been discussed yet which is why there's speculation that they could affiliate themselves with the Jays once the relocation to Ottawa is approved.

EDIT: here's an article about it in the Citizen http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...388/story.html
Not so fast..team B-Mets president Michael Urda responds to rumors..

"The Binghamton Mets have not been sold, and we have not been contacted by anyone interested in our club," Urda angrily said. "There's 12 teams in the Eastern League and we have to address it every single week ... Enough's enough."

New York Mets director of minor league operation Adam Wogan said in November that the Mets had a "good relationship with Binghamton, and we'd like to continue it long-term."

----
http://www.pressconnects.com/article...text|FRONTPAGE

Last edited by Ski: 02-10-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

And, I'll add the hockey relationship is still on standstill after this current season..

Rangers rumor's of coming back to Bingo runs rampant..

Old
02-11-2012, 05:24 AM
SenzZen
Unholy Masquerade

Sorry folks. Just a bitter old Expos fan, here.

I watch my brother get pumped up by the Jays' hype machine every off-season. And then again when they string wins together after they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. For the life of me I don't know why he bothers.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:09 AM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Ugh. I'm with you there.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
pt_mck

Quote:

I watch my brother get pumped up by the Jays' hype machine every off-season. And then again when they string wins together after they've been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. For the life of me I don't know why he bothers.
Me three

Economics at the MLB level are totally out to lunch

When you have the yankees at $202,000,000 and the Royals at $36M something is wrong

However a AA could work if they keep ticket prices low and keep games under 2.5 hrs

pt_mck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM
BK201

Do you guys watch the fat cats? Just asking because they are currently selling season tickets at 4 season tickets for the price of one and was wondering if it's a good idea to buy them?

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
As someone who grew up almost living and breathing baseball, I'd rather see a AA game than a AAA game.

In AAA, you tend to get a league full of "tweeners". Anyone who follows baseball is familiar with "AAAA" players: guys who can dominate minor league baseball, but can't break through to the majors for whatever reason (Jake Fox being the first guy who comes to mind).

AA ball is great baseball. The game's true superstars usually spend very little time in AAA ball... they play up to AA ball and get called right up to the majors. The pace of the game is very fun, and the discrepancy in talent usually leads to very fun games.

The best analogy I can make is that AAA ball = the AHL, while AA ball = OHL.
AA ball is almost exclusively younger players who leave it all out on the field, and has very little of the "aging once-was-a-star" and "old and bitter ballplayer" syndrome that AAA ball sometimes suffers from.

It's just really fun baseball. If I can't have a MLB team, AA ball is my next choice.
That's exactly how I'd explain it.

The top prospects spend more time in AA than in AAA. AAA is for lifers, rehab stints, and a quick stop for young players who are in the middle of fast tracking to the big leagues.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

There's no sense in getting too amped up right now...but they do have one of the best systems in baseball so their is hope.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:06 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
And, I'll add the hockey relationship is still on standstill after this current season..

Rangers rumor's of coming back to Bingo runs rampant..
Fair trade?

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
pepty

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Do you guys watch the fat cats? Just asking because they are currently selling season tickets at 4 season tickets for the price of one and was wondering if it's a good idea to buy them?
The Fat Cats are a lot of fun but I dont think its been decided yet for sure if they can play at the stadium all season this summer..

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sens83 View Post
Fair trade?
Tough call..3 or 4 seasons ago I'd welcome it, now at least after winning the Cup and Ottawa paying a little more attention to the farm, I dunno..

Conn has been decent the last few years talent wise, and Rangers might win it all this year..

Old
02-12-2012, 09:07 AM
sens83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Tough call..3 or 4 seasons ago I'd welcome it, now at least after winning the Cup and Ottawa paying a little more attention to the farm, I dunno..

Conn has been decent the last few years talent wise, and Rangers might win it all this year..
Personally, I think the best years for Ottawa prospects are the next 5, so I want them to stay.

sens83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
The Fat Cats are a lot of fun but I dont think its been decided yet for sure if they can play at the stadium all season this summer..
Ah good to know. This is why I came in here to ask thanks.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote