HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What was his name ? (Mod edit, answer: Thomas Hyka)

Old
02-12-2012, 09:15 AM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
What was his name ? (Mod edit, answer: Thomas Hyka)

What was that cats name that scored a goal during the pre-season and then did the crazy celebration down along the boards ?I remember it turned out that he could not be offered a contract for some reason etc ? Any way, has anyone kept track of him and have any info on where he is playing now etc.....MSE ?

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-12-2012 at 10:09 AM.
SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:20 AM
mirimon

You mean Thomas Hyka, I think.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:20 AM
PJStock*

Tomas Hyka?

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:35 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...d-lead-to.html

Quote:
When Tomas Hyka makes it to the NHL, he'll have a funny story to tell about his road getting there.

Hyka was announced as one of 15 training camp cuts by the Flyers Monday. He was slated to be returned to Gatineau of the QMJHL, his junior team and preseumably, since he had joined the Flyers in camp as an undrafted free agent on an amateur tryout contract, would end up going unsigned before the October 1 deadline and then be eligible for the 2012 draft.

Hyka packed up his gear and was in a car on the way to the airport to fly back to Gatineau to start working out with the Olympiques when his phone rang. It was Flyers G.M. Paul Holmgren.

Holmgren told Hyka there was a mistake and that he wasn't waived. He should report back to the Flyers.

Meanwhile, nobody bothered to explain this to Gatineau, and the Olympiques coach Ben Groulx was confused that Hyka hadn't returned for practice Wednesday morning as expected.

Instead, Hyka was in the Flyers lineup at Wells Fargo Center against the Toronto Maple Leafs, playing wing alongside Claude Giroux, who starred at Gatineau before making the leap to the NHL.

"We thought about drafting Hyka in the third or fourth round," one Flyers executive told me prior to the game. "But the draft goes in a lot of different directions all the time, and sometimes you forget about guys - and that's what happened with Hyka.
More... http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...lyers-contract

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:44 AM
SgtJoseph

Thank you MSE ! I was talking with my brother last night and for the life of me i could not remember the lads name ! Thanks !

Old
02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
healthyscratch

He even saved the puck for a preseason goal? Priceless. Where's he at now did we retain him or is he going back into the draft to us to take with our first round pick this year?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
He even saved the puck for a preseason goal? Priceless. Where's he at now did we retain him or is he going back into the draft to us to take with our first round pick this year?
He is draft eligible for 2012, not the Flyers' property. He currently plays for Gatineau in the QMJHL.

This thread has been tagged, too, for future recall. (Hyka and Flyers are options).

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 02-12-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
FlyersFan61290

I would love if the Flyers could draft him this yr. anybody know where he's slated to go? I'm assuming 3rd round but idk. Honestly he and players like him are why I wouldn't move any picks at the deadline. Like i would rather keep the 3rd that could potentially turn into Hyka then have Gill for the rest of the season and playoffs (it would actually probably cost MAB or another prospect too) but that's just me.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:19 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I would love if the Flyers could draft him this yr. anybody know where he's slated to go? I'm assuming 3rd round but idk. Honestly he and players like him are why I wouldn't move any picks at the deadline. Like i would rather keep the 3rd that could potentially turn into Hyka then have Gill for the rest of the season and playoffs (it would actually probably cost MAB or another prospect too) but that's just me.
At one point, he was 65th among North American skaters. That doesn't include Euro goalies or skaters or N.A. goalies.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?pg=2

Old
02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
At one point, he was 65th among North American skaters. That doesn't include Euro goalies or skaters or N.A. goalies.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm?pg=2
Thanks

So unless things change/have changed drastically he'll go lower then I expected.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:25 AM
SgtJoseph

Just read he has 51pts in 47 games......17 goals....not too shabby !

Old
02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Yeah, almost makes you wish we drafted him instead of a goon in the 7th round.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Yeah, almost makes you wish we drafted him instead of a goon in the 7th round.
Ugh. Totally unacceptable on the Flyers' part; a highly embarrassing gaffe that screams "incompetence." You have Hyka rated as a third/fourth round talent and you forget about him because the draft goes in "a lot of different directions all the time"? What the hell does that even mean? Shouldn't Homer have a list in front of him with players still on the board ALL THE TIME?!

At least you can bet the Flyers will be hell bent on getting Hyka and might even draft him a round early to ensure he becomes part of the organization.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Ugh. Totally unacceptable on the Flyers' part; a highly embarrassing gaffe that screams "incompetence." You have Hyka rated as a third/fourth round talent and you forget about him because the draft goes in "a lot of different directions all the time"? What the hell does that even mean? Shouldn't Homer have a list in front of him with players still on the board ALL THE TIME?!

At least you can bet the Flyers will be hell bent on getting Hyka and might even draft him a round early to ensure he becomes part of the organization.
Not only that, but they acknowledged that they re-remembered him when the Mathers pick came around.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
It's totally unacceptable to "forget" about a player that you've thought to pick in the 3rd/4th round. Of course, mistakes can be made, but you should notice that a player that you did rank as high ad 3-4 round is still there to pick in the 5-7 rounds. So ignorant and primitive!

I don't mean that Hyka is some kind of superstar though. Im not going to be surprised if the Flyers is so blinded by the mistake at the '12 draft so they waste a high draft pick..

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:

Holmgren should be fired! With Thomas Hyka, the Stanley Cup is assured. He's a guaranteed superstar.

Norm MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:54 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Hyka scored since returning from the concussion but this NHL.com story was from late last week:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=618718

Quote:
QUEBEC MAJOR JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE

Tomas Hyka (65), RW, Gatineau Olympiques: Labeled as a skilled forward and great playmaker, Hyka has erupted for 17 goals, 51 points and a plus-7 rating in 43 games. He's currently sidelined with a concussion.

Marr: "He's suffering from a concussion right now, but when I watched him, he was doing something special every game. When I watch Hyka, I'm seeing another Ales Hemsky kind of guy; they played for the same team in Gatineau. In fact, it wasn't too long ago, a player with the same frame as Hyka (5-foot-11, 160 pounds) played for Gatineau and played the same way. Now, that player [Claude Giroux] is now starring for the Flyers."

Old
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Hyka scored since returning from the concussion but this NHL.com story was from late last week:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=618718
Players with viruses fit in the Flyer's long-term plans perfectly.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Amateur Hour

I hope the Flyers draft both Hyka and current teammate Alexandros Soumakis. The latter is a 5'5", 195-pound tank with a nasty disposition and plays like wrecking ball. He has some offensive skill, too.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Some mock drafts have him going as high as the 2nd round, but most have him in the 3rd/4th. I have a feeling though that a team like the Red Wings will get him instead.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Some mock drafts have him going as high as the 2nd round, but most have him in the 3rd/4th. I have a feeling though that a team like the Red Wings will get him instead.
And, of course, he'll turn into one hell of a player for them. But hey, at least we have Derek Mathers in the system!

Old
03-01-2012, 05:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. This guy scored a goal in an NHL preseason game, remember? I figured they were already getting his plaque ready in the Hall of Fame in Toronto right next to Joacim Erikkson's.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 06:05 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. This guy scored a goal in an NHL preseason game, remember? I figured they were already getting his plaque ready in the Hall of Fame in Toronto right next to Joacim Erikkson's.
Hey, he atleast sniffed an nhl preseason game, which half, no wait, 3/4 of our prospects wont or get to do. I bet thats one more game than what Mathers would play professionally.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I wonder if people who make comments like this even understand why the rest of us are so pissed off.

Old
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
I wonder if people who make comments like this even understand why the rest of us are so pissed off.
You don't understand, man. Holmgren is like some kind of wizard. He KNOWS things. GMing is an arcane art, it requires mystical connections to other planes of awareness that we can't possibly comprehend. Therefore, we can't question anything Homer does and he never makes any mistakes. Asset management is too complex for mere mortals to understand.