HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs beat Leafs 5-0 | Price with a SO on Mats Sundin night

Old
02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
googlymoogly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
Anyone else hear Healy's comment early in the first period?

"The Canadiens are terrified of Toronto's speed up front."

Terrified? Wow, what a thing to say.

Terrible comment. Nice win.
They were so terrified they figured they needed to score 5 goals to win the game. Poor Price could barely keep up with the speed of attacking mighty Leafs.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Habs Junkie

A few points on last nights game:

-Goal scorers: Cole-Pacioretty-Bourque-Eller all 6'2" and Darche 6'1", who said the habs were small?
-Where's the people saying Pleks doesn't have vision, two beautiful assists on great passes by him
-Darche is in beast mode
-Price makes goaltending look easy
-Kaberle looking great out there moving pucks out of our zone
-The team had a game plan to "bring it" and did not take the foot off the pedal even though that first period could of put anyone to sleep. Props to Cunneyworth and co.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
They were so terrified they figured they needed to score 5 goals to win the game. Poor Price could barely keep up with the speed of attacking mighty Leafs.
yup, the fig lovers of cbc were wetting there pants over this,

5-0 is a nice score to wet by

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:58 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Not many people here have mentioned it but Subban had a ****in awesome game last night keeping things simple.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone View Post
Anyone else hear Healy's comment early in the first period?

"The Canadiens are terrified of Toronto's speed up front."

Terrified? Wow, what a thing to say.

Terrible comment. Nice win.
This made me laugh, the only guy with speed is Kessel.....maybe Grabo, but nothing to be terrified about...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Andy

lol habs cause leafs to have team meeting

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=387599

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:18 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
tsn is completely butt hurt

there habs leafs highlights are so short and only show two habds goals

if toronto would have won 5-0 it would have been a 5 goals shown and them slobbering all over kessel

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:31 AM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
This game couldn't have gone better. Hope they can keep the ball rolling. These kind of games make living in the middle of "leafs nation" so worth it, all the leaf fans are in hiding now haha (plus TSN is so pissed Sundin night was ruined lmao). So happy with this win!

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:37 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch View Post
This game couldn't have gone better. Hope they can keep the ball rolling. These kind of games make living in the middle of "leafs nation" so worth it, all the leaf fans are in hiding now haha (plus TSN is so pissed Sundin night was ruined lmao). So happy with this win!
It's all good...if I remember correctly though, the Habs laid an egg on BG's big night in Montreal 2 seasons back...retirement cermonies seem to hurt the host more than the visitors...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
It's all good...if I remember correctly though, the Habs laid an egg on BG's big night in Montreal 2 seasons back...retirement cermonies seem to hurt the host more than the visitors...
I was there. 3-0 loss to Columbus. Horrible game.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:49 AM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Sundin and koivu were put in similar situations. Both star players who were surrounded with garbage their whole careers. I immediatly lose respect for anyone who rips on either. Sundin had every right to not waive, it wasn't his job to rebuild a team too inept to do it themselves.
Sundin wasn't surrounded with garbage. Maybe some players were over the hill when they were with him.. but still, there were all sorts of good players on his team. I'll give you credit, he occasionally had a **** winger like Renberg or Hoglund. But nothing like what Koivu dealt with. Aside from Tanguay, Kovalev, and for a brief time Zednik.. Koivu had crap to play with, man. The Leafs blew the bank and traded all sorts of prospects for All-Stars pre-lockout on a few occasions, they never delivered. Ironically if Koivu had Sundin's size, or Sundin had Koivu's heart and grit (not that Mats didn't have those things... just not as much as Koivu IMO) both of their teams may have won something, who knows.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Not many people here have mentioned it but Subban had a ****in awesome game last night keeping things simple.
I love his rushes up the ice, but when he's playing a quiet, simple game, he's most effective. The flashier stuff can come when management surrounds him better.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Sundin wasn't surrounded with garbage. Maybe some players were over the hill when they were with him.. but still, there were all sorts of good players on his team. I'll give you credit, he occasionally had a **** winger like Renberg or Hoglund. But nothing like what Koivu dealt with. Aside from Tanguay, Kovalev, and for a brief time Zednik.. Koivu had crap to play with, man. The Leafs blew the bank and traded all sorts of prospects for All-Stars pre-lockout on a few occasions, they never delivered. Ironically if Koivu had Sundin's size, or Sundin had Koivu's heart and grit (not that Mats didn't have those things... just not as much as Koivu IMO) both of their teams may have won something, who knows.
Not only that, but Sundin was almost always healthy, especially in his prime. Saku couldn't catch a break, only Zednik had worse luck than the guy. You can blame it on his size, but I don't think that has anything to do with getting cancer.

Not to downplay Sundin, of course having a guy you can rely on to stay healthy is part of the game, and as much as I'm never going to love a Nordiques/Leafs cornerstone, I do respect Sundin. But few players coped with a worse situation than Koivu.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:28 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shack23 View Post
I hate the Canadiens, unconditionally. But i thank you from the bottom of my heart for making Sundin look like the putz that he is. A good portion of Leaf fans hate that guy, yet had to watch that travesty take place. Here's hoping that you never beat the Leafs ever again, and wishing you a 12th pick in the draft.
Careful you don't swallow your own venom. Sundin wasn't on the ice but he watched 20 chokers flail helplessly.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
sheed36

In the Leafs GDT last night many Leaf fans were ripping on Schenn for how bad he was and needs to be off the team.. However it's a much different story when you go to the trade rumor board here and Schenn suddenly as the value of Bobby Orr when they include the guy in trade proposals..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Sundin wasn't surrounded with garbage.
I'd say he was, actually. Look at the 1998 Leafs as just one example: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/1998.html

Mike Johnson, Derek King, and Igor Korolev as the 3 top scoring forwards behind Sundin on the team? Only a half year of a broken Wendel Clark near retirement? Look at that defense too, and tell me (besides Schneider) who was even marginally gifted at moving the puck quickly up the ice to the forwards. Yushkevich, maybe? That's as bad, or worse, than anything Koivu had behind him at any point.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
In the Leafs GDT last night many Leaf fans were ripping on Schenn for how bad he was and needs to be off the team.. However it's a much different story when you go to the trade rumor board here and Schenn suddenly as the value of Bobby Orr when they include the guy in trade proposals..
Part of me feels bad for Schenn. People talk about how bad we are at developing prospects, few teams are worse at it than the Leafs. They are turning the kid into Komisarek 2.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

if toronto would have won 5-0 it would have been a 5 goals shown and them slobbering all over kessel
TSN is from Toronto.
NOOB.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

tsn and cbc just loes the leafs

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
No, it doesn't really mean that. Since the walk out the 8th placed team got in with 93, 88, 93, 94, 92 and 92 points. One can think it would be the same this year. So we should look at accumulating at least 92, 93 points but to be on the safe side 94 points.

Forget about having to leapfrog over other teams. That's BS. Keep your attention on the point total. We have 55 points in 56 games.

We need 39, maybe 38 more points and we have 26 games left. That's a clip of 19-6-1, maybe 19-7-0.

Do you think this team can do it? If they play like they have the last 4. It looks doable. If they play like the 3 games after the all star it looks like a pipe dream.
Forget about any arbitrary number of wins needed to get in. The Habs could use a lot of help but it's not as though the other teams vying for the 8th spot in the East are champions. How many more games can they afford to lose while the Habs are winning? The Habs' current 4-game winning streak should make them feel a bit less secure.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
What do you call winning 5-0 on Mats Sundin Night at the ACC in front of invited former Leafs? Inflicted humiliation.

What do you call killing off all the Leafs' power plays? Expected.

What do you call adding insult to injury? Darche.

What do you call chipping away at the Leafs' hold on the last playoff spot while gaining 2 points in the standings? Justice.

What do you call doubting that the Habs can make the playoffs? Faintheartedness.

What do you call rooting for a team that's been playing as well as the Habs to lose? Insulting.

What do you call Hab tankards? Traitors.

What do you call someone who thinks it's realistic that the Habs will finish in the last 5 and be rewarded with a top 5 draft pick? Don Quixote.
Best post ever.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:47 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'd say he was, actually. Look at the 1998 Leafs as just one example: http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/1998.html

Mike Johnson, Derek King, and Igor Korolev as the 3 top scoring forwards behind Sundin on the team? Only a half year of a broken Wendel Clark near retirement? Look at that defense too, and tell me (besides Schneider) who was even marginally gifted at moving the puck quickly up the ice to the forwards. Yushkevich, maybe? That's as bad, or worse, than anything Koivu had behind him at any point.
In the early to mid 2000's they assembled a lot of pretty solid veteran teams. Guys were maybe a bit past their prime, but much much better than the Habs were. Thinking of Koivu's linemates I can come up with Brian Savage/Oleg Petrov, Chad Kilger/Sergei Berezin I think the year he returned from illness, Zednik/Whoever, maybe Nicklas Sundstrom for a bit . I guess Kovalev, occasionally, and Higgins/Ryder was a decent set of linemates for a while.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Stradale

Josh Gorges is now +15.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:07 PM
haburger

kaberle was really solid again tonite.nice play to gain the zone an help set up the pp marker too.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Go Habs Go

I love that little video they had on cbc of young pk. He's still doing the same moves lol

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote