HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thoughts on Rinaldo at this point in time

View Poll Results: What do you think of Rinaldo?
I love him!!! Great energy player for the team! 26 28.89%
I like him. He's been solid. 38 42.22%
I'm indifferent. 10 11.11%
I dislike him. I think he needs to go. 5 5.56%
I HATE him!!! Why does he exist?! 8 8.89%
I'm unsure. 3 3.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-06-2012, 02:43 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Rinaldo is fearless, and hopefully that gives his teammates some confidence. That said some of the players i like on the lower lines need to be able to give us something more to hold down roster spots. If rinaldo could kill penalties , he would be a staple for this team, same with harry Z. Their speed and energy are important to this team but they need to do other stuff.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:14 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
I didn't think Rinaldo would be able to play as disciplined as he has. If he keeps it up the reputation calls will eventually (more or less, at least) disappear. I'd rather have him than Zolnierczyk or Sestito in the lineup atm. That said though, he would probably have benefitted from another year in the AHL (as would Scrabbles have done). They both need to work on their defensive game, even if they are energy players.

I've said before that if/when we can field a fully healthy team on forwards, I would like Wellwood to be the 12th forward (assuming Jagr, Roo, JvR, Couturier, Schenn, Read, Brière, Hartnell, Voracek, Simmonds, Talbot are all locks) because I believe he would be better at keeping up with two (somewhat) skilled linemates. I'm not so sure about that anymore.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Kaktus*

It would be really cool if he started to play some PK, I believe he can do it because he decent on his skates. Like a min a game.

He worked very hard during 2011 off season and it shows.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 09:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I really wanna unleash Rinaldo and Sestito on the Pens. I don't think they'll be able to handle Sestito.
That's been proven to not work on the Penguins - and any other team that considers themselves a true Cup Contender. Hence why they owned us between 2006-2010. The Flyers finally got that message.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:36 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
That's been proven to not work on the Penguins - and any other team that considers themselves a true Cup Contender. Hence why they owned us between 2006-2010. The Flyers finally got that message.
I don't think that was the reason. They've had much better center depth those years and our forward depth in general wasn't good enough to offset it. That seemed to start about last year.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
I don't think that was the reason. They've had much better center depth those years and our forward depth in general wasn't good enough to offset it. That seemed to start about last year.
The Flyers had enough center depth to win more than they were before last season, they never played smart enough to beat them and always got into penalty trouble. More like since Lavy took over. Why do you think Holmgren wanted Max Talbot so bad and told Carcillo to get lost? They wanted that kind of sandpapaer player who knew how to be on the right side of the officials.

The Flyers went into a lot of games trying to prove they were the tougher team, and often enough lost. When they went into those games just trying to score goals and play defense, they started to win. Although, Crosby being out for essentially more than a year also helps, but they started having success before he got hurt.

Old
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

I'm a big fan of Rinaldo and his new style of goon that's being ushered in. I'm not sure how anyone could really complain about him. He hits, he draws penalty, and he plays the game smart. Sure he's not an offensive juggernaut or even a real threat, but he's also not a 100% liability out there like a Cote was. As long as he keeps pissing people off, drawing penalties, hitting, and doing so without taking too many penalties, I appreciate his value.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
The Flyers had enough center depth to win more than they were before last season, they never played smart enough to beat them and always got into penalty trouble. More like since Lavy took over. Why do you think Holmgren wanted Max Talbot so bad and told Carcillo to get lost? They wanted that kind of sandpapaer player who knew how to be on the right side of the officials.

The Flyers went into a lot of games trying to prove they were the tougher team, and often enough lost. When they went into those games just trying to score goals and play defense, they started to win. Although, Crosby being out for essentially more than a year also helps, but they started having success before he got hurt.
And John Stevens not being a good coach as well. We forgot about that.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
captainpaxil

hes mantained discipline wihich is something alot of people doubted hed be able to do and with that hes been able to showcase the talents he does have. hes a decent skater and hits like a truck esp for a guy his size. i love the energy he brings and natural intensity is contagious, its something you can't really coach. im looking forward to seeing him develop defensively. though hell never be much of a scorer with proper training he shouldnt be out of place if asked to move up and down the lineup later on.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:03 AM
Ryker

Rinaldo: "Do you want me to sign your jersey and later make out?"
Girl: *bursts into laughter*

She looks hot and I have nothing against him, by the way.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:06 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156

02-12-2012, 07:50 AM
SgtJoseph

Whats not to like about Rinaldo ? He is the new generation Bob Kelley in my opinion.....You know when Rinaldo is on the ice, you can hear it ! Good type of player to have on a club.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:13 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Does anyone have stats on how many minors he's taken vs drawn?

EDIT: Found it. He's taking 3.6 and drawing 3.6 per 60 minutes.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Man Hole Inspector*

This guy went to my high school and was an absolute beauty. He will hook up with any girl with two legs, funniest guy in the league.

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:24 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Hole Inspector View Post
This guy went to my high school and was an absolute beauty. He will hook up with any girl with two legs, funniest guy in the league.
Shouldn't let such things stand in the way of a one-legged beauty queen.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:46 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post

Rinaldo: "Do you want me to sign your jersey and later make out?"
Girl: *bursts into laughter*

She looks hot and I have nothing against him, by the way.
she's like 15

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:49 AM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
I wasn't sure at the beginning of the season, knowing his penalty stats in the AHL, but so far I've been impressed, he's solid and does his job right.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:34 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Does anyone have stats on how many minors he's taken vs drawn?

EDIT: Found it. He's taking 3.6 and drawing 3.6 per 60 minutes.
He was drawing more than he's taking, which is proof that the refs are starting to not buy his act anymore.

That's about the only number that supports that he is a positive contributor to the team. He's even a terrible fighter.

Old
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Worked for the Broons when they didn't act like morons.

Lavi just needs to make sure Tom and Zac keep it clean. If the officials want to continue to call reputation penalties on clean hits, that is a NHL issue.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Worked for the Broons when they didn't act like morons.

Lavi just needs to make sure Tom and Zac keep it clean. If the officials want to continue to call reputation penalties on clean hits, that is a NHL issue.
That's the thing - they didn't act like morons. And everything they did was calculated. They were quite cerebral about it. They knew the refs couldn't possibly call everything, and the times they did, the Canucks PP couldn't do anything about it. If it's the Lucic's and Marchand's that's one thing. But when it's the goofballs who "stir the pot" it's another story.

It may be an NHL issue, but you're putting these guys in the lineup knowing that you're leaving it to the interpretation of the league and the officials. Two wrongs don't make a right. The league knows what they're there to do, unless Rinaldo magically becomes Brad Marchand overnight.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:03 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
That's the thing - they didn't act like morons. And everything they did was calculated. They were quite cerebral about it. They knew the refs couldn't possibly call everything, and the times they did, the Canucks PP couldn't do anything about it. If it's the Lucic's and Marchand's that's one thing. But when it's the goofballs who "stir the pot" it's another story.

It may be an NHL issue, but you're putting these guys in the lineup knowing that you're leaving it to the interpretation of the league and the officials. Two wrongs don't make a right. The league knows what they're there to do, unless Rinaldo magically becomes Brad Marchand overnight.
I honestly don't know what you are talking about?

Rat face has become one of the biggest goons/dirty players in the NHL. Rinaldo is nowhere near him on the level of dirty plays.

Yesterday was one of the few times I have seen Rinaldo go out of his way to pick a fight...and the game was pretty much over by that time so I really do not have a problem with it.

Otherwise, he is throwing perfectly legal body checks 90% of the time they show him on camera.

He can skate, he can pass and he can play the body.

I really do not see anybody who deserves to be on the 4th, ground and pound line more than Zac.

Not saying you can't find another guy to do what he does, but surely you can't stick Shelley or Harry Z in there and expect the same performance.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:

your hate for Rinaldo is hillarious. So far, he has done everything the team has asked him to do. He makes game changing hits, draws penalties and has played very well at both ends of the ice. Not to mention the other team seems intent on trying to kill him, which is always a good thing.

Rinaldo is the perfect fourth liner. In juniors he was a pretty good PK'er too. Hope he stays up with the big club. I would rather scrabbles on his line than Sestito though.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Who cares if Marchand is a dirty player? The guy produces. Plain and simple.

Marchand may be a huge jerkface, but he backs it up. 20-goal rookie season, 10 more in the playoffs playing with Patrice Bergeron against the Sedins a lot. This year with more minutes, and more trust from his coaches, he'll be a 30-30 player. I don't like dirty players, but I'll take it if they're going to be among the top 50 forwards in the league. That may be a less-than-generous estimate.

As for hitz and fightz, were the Rangers intimidated and put off when he laid someone out yesterday? Is anyone anymore? If they are, they're not the teams you're trying to get past to get to the Finals. Remember when this was supposed to work against the Penguins?

Zolnierczyk is/was only marginally better. Honestly, I don't expect he'll be back up this season, but he'll give you what Rinaldo and Shelley positively contribute in one player. If Paul Holmgren was being honest with himself, the guys to put with Couturier on the 4th line for the playoffs are not currently in the organization.

Old
02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Who cares if Marchand is a dirty player? The guy produces. Plain and simple.

Marchand may be a huge jerkface, but he backs it up. 20-goal rookie season, 10 more in the playoffs playing with Patrice Bergeron against the Sedins a lot. This year with more minutes, and more trust from his coaches, he'll be a 30-30 player. I don't like dirty players, but I'll take it if they're going to be among the top 50 forwards in the league. That may be a less-than-generous estimate.

As for hitz and fightz, were the Rangers intimidated and put off when he laid someone out yesterday? Is anyone anymore? If they are, they're not the teams you're trying to get past to get to the Finals. Remember when this was supposed to work against the Penguins?

Zolnierczyk is/was only marginally better. Honestly, I don't expect he'll be back up this season, but he'll give you what Rinaldo and Shelley positively contribute in one player. If Paul Holmgren was being honest with himself, the guys to put with Couturier on the 4th line for the playoffs are not currently in the organization.
It did actually, when Rinaldo killed that guy, didn't the flyers tie it up, then almost go infront?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

your hate for Rinaldo is hillarious. So far, he has done everything the team has asked him to do. He makes game changing hits, draws penalties and has played very well at both ends of the ice. Not to mention the other team seems intent on trying to kill him, which is always a good thing.

Rinaldo is the perfect fourth liner. In juniors he was a pretty good PK'er too. Hope he stays up with the big club. I would rather scrabbles on his line than Sestito though.
He has done what he has been asked to do. No doubt about that. He's been asked to do what career minor leaguers are expected - don't completely **** us over when you're on the ice.

He's not a good enough player. Advanced numbers back up this claim. He's constantly outplayed when he's on the ice against bad competition, and worse as we saw yesterday when marking an underacheiving Anisimov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It did actually, when Rinaldo killed that guy, didn't the flyers tie it up, then almost go infront?
Did they win? How did our PK do yesterday? We had 4th liners last year who played that role pretty good. The Rangers didn't look to be shaking in their boots.

Every time he does something good, it's like reminiscing Little Big League when Billy goes crazy when Jerry finally gets on base. He hasn't been a complete failure, but that doesn't make him a good NHL player.