HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

People still killing themselves over the Kono trade?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 05:45 PM
Foppa

vCash: 500
People still killing themselves over the Kono trade?

5 goals in 9 games for us, he's really starting to heat up. Brings an all-out hard-nosed hustle and will score the sloppy goals.

He's a quantum leap ahead of Battaglia and although the Caps could get their glory from the deal in the future with JJ, this deal at least somewhat makes up for the Vrbata debacle.

Battaglia has certainly not yet rectified his game in Washington...8 games, no points, -7.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Belgican

Wow, didn't know Battaglia's stats, he's not on the best team, but well, that's horrible !

Old
11-09-2003, 05:59 PM
imagine29028

I talk to bates every night (as he calls for his wake up calls) and I am gonna tell him what you all think! :mad:

nah....but I am glad Kono is playing great...

Old
11-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Foppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine29028
I talk to bates every night (as he calls for his wake up calls) and I am gonna tell him what you all think! :mad:

nah....but I am glad Kono is playing great...
I don't think Bates is a bad player, he's got size and some skill and has proven he can pop 20 goals in the right situation.

I think a lot of frustration was vented not only at his inability to find his niche in Denver but that we also gave up a great young player to get him.

Konowalchuk just fits better...

Old
11-09-2003, 06:24 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Kono is certainly a better player than I gave him credit for. Once Kariya returns to the lineup, the Avs may finally have a legitimate third line (since they won the Cup in 01). Short-term this looks to be a solid addition, but long term depends on whether Konowalchuk is resigned, and what becomes of Johansson and the third round pick.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Well......I really hope he resigns. Our bottom lines have been a joke ever since Yelle left

YELLE COME BACK

Old
11-09-2003, 07:24 PM
RoyIsALegend*

The difference between Steve Konowalchuk and Bates Battaglia is that Konowalchuk *wins* the battles in the corners and for loose pucks that Baggs would usually lose. Also, Kono is a talented enough player to realize that while in the offensive zone with Joe Sakic, Alex Tanguay, Teemu Selanne, etc. that he has to go to the net to score some goals.

Kudos to Pierre Lacroix for finding the right fit of a crash-the-net type player that the Avs have struggled with incorporating in the past.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Kono is also quite good on deflections (maybe I'm just jumping on that bandwagon after two beauts in Chicago). As I said in my GDT post, perhaps he is that true body the Avs have been looking for to put in front of the net for a nice combination of skill, attitude, hard work, and muscle.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:06 PM
Zodiac

Love it!

Kono is playin great.

Thank God PL traded for him.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:38 PM
El_Loco_Avs

fingers crossed for him to keep up his play at this level...

Old
11-10-2003, 03:31 AM
imagine29028

I also like how he's getting mixed into the PK/PP type situations as well

Old
11-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Gumballhead

I have to say that Kono has been way better than I expected. I was expecting solid and responsible, but he's got more grit and scoring ability than I ever would have guessed, and he's clutch, or so it seems.

He's one of those players that championship teams need, I can't wait to see him and Niko together on the third line. Both those guys have been great. Absolutely super pickups by PL.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:26 AM
hoserthehorrible

Konowolchuk is a huge upgrade over Battaglia and quite frankly I'd rather have Konowolchuk than Vrbata as well. We'll see what happens with Johansson and the 3rd rounder long term but for the short term I think this is a great pickup for the Avs.

Kono has been scoring goals of late, something Battaglia wasn't doing, but that's not even the main reason he's here. His main role is to kill penalties, provide a defensive stopper on the third line and provide leadership and a great work ethic. A few things Battaglia couldn't or wouldn't do. The fact that Kono can play on the PP, play effectively on the 1st or 2nd line, and score some big goals is a bonus.

When Kariya gets back, Kono will likely get moved to the third line and together with Nikolishin and perhaps Hinote he'll be a large part of what I think will be one of the top 3rd lines in the league. Both Nikolishin and Konowolchuk can play solid defensive hockey, kill penalties, forecheck, backcheck, and play lots of effective minutes against the opposing team's top lines. Konowolchuk appears to have more scoring touch than Nikolishin but I think they can both knock the puck in the net. I'd love to see the 3rd liners knock in 35 - 45 goals between them.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Well......I really hope he resigns. Our bottom lines have been a joke ever since Yelle left

YELLE COME BACK
Man, Yelle is the unsung hero on the Flames, and probably one of the most untouchable commodities on the team right now.

This guy can do it all, minus putting up the big numbers. His game is so well refined in all other aspects its unreal.

I still don't believe Lacroix's quote last year when he said after the Drury trade they were going to put Yelle on waivers anyways. Maybe Lacroix was on crack, because you don't give up those types of players.

Old
11-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

It doesn't look like Yelle is doing all that great in Calgary this season, but then again no one is doing good in Calgary. Even though our bottom two lines are a bit of a piecemeal operation, they're 10 times better than the garbage we had there last season.

Bates for whatever reason forgot what made him great two seasons ago as the RW on the BBC line. He's not forechecking with any authority, not shooting, just sort of floating and looking lost. I for one don't miss him one bit, though I'll admit I labeled the trade for Kono as a panic move earlier. Once again PL makes me look like a chump. :p

Old
11-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Miller259

Location: "If hockeys to tough, go play tennis"-Bryan Marchment, Colorado Avalanche
Hmmmm......

I'm not surprised. I've only seen him a couple of times in an Avs uni and I don't notice anything different about him really. Strong in the corners, on the PK, crashing the boards and general good defensive play is intailled in Konowalchuk. I didn't expect him to score so many goals at first, but that's what happens when 5-6 snipers all funnel their rebounds to him.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:18 PM
hoserthehorrible

If I'm not mistaken Battaglia was fairly popular in Carolina, a fan favorite, and he seemed to be full of life and loved to hit the nightclubs. Once he got to Colorado he seemed to be distant from the rest of the team, he wasn't performing, he didn't seem to be able to focus, and he just seemed lethargic.

All that could be caused by lots of reasons but for some reason I have a suspicion that Battaglia is having alcohol or drug problems. Hopefully not, but my instincts tell me otherwise.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller259
I'm not surprised. I've only seen him a couple of times in an Avs uni and I don't notice anything different about him really. Strong in the corners, on the PK, crashing the boards and general good defensive play is intailled in Konowalchuk. I didn't expect him to score so many goals at first, but that's what happens when 5-6 snipers all funnel their rebounds to him.
I am not sure what you are saying, I think because of how you worded things, but I will say that one thing he adds to the Avs that we were severely lacking is the ability to get position in front of the net, facing our shooters, and deflect pucks on net. I think Pepe was the last guy we had that was legitimately good at that.

Also, he's a very smart player with good vision. Last night he made a great play along the boards where he beat two guys to get the puck in the Chicago end. That was impressive hustle and hard work, but the kicker was that in the midst of all of it, he got his body turned and made a solid pass up the middle. The puck was deflected, but it could have easily ended with a one-on-one with Leighton. When you hustle and outwork players and still have the presence of mind to get in good body position to actually do something, that's going to give your team chances you wouldn't otherwise get. Hinote wins a lot of races to the puck, and little battles along the boards, but the end result is not generally an accurate pass. It's good, but messy. Kono seems to have a very good idea of where he is, where he needs to get to, and where other players are. That's going to be huge once we get that third line rolling, and it ain't too bad right now with him on the 2nd line.

Old
11-10-2003, 05:08 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoserthehorrible
for some reason I have a suspicion that Battaglia is having alcohol or drug problems. Hopefully not, but my instincts tell me otherwise.
What the...?

Old
11-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
I still don't believe Lacroix's quote last year when he said after the Drury trade they were going to put Yelle on waivers anyways. Maybe Lacroix was on crack, because you don't give up those types of players.
Yelle's line back then, (Including Yelle) wasn't playing well, and was in obvious need of improvement. While I loved Yelle when he was here, and was upset when he left, I'm almost positive he couldn't be playing the way he is for the Flames, if he were still with the Avs. I think he is the perfect example of how a trade can rejuvenate a career. Plus he has a much bigger role in Calgary, which is also boosting his play.

I think our third line might be the best we've ever had, with Niko, Kono, and whoever we put on the right, either Hinote or McCormick. Plus Svatos might be able to come back this season, and show us what he was showing flashes of earlier, but he might have a tough time beating out McCormick, or whoever we might trade for, since he would have missed a lot of time, and only played a few games as an NHLer anyway. If I had my wishes, I would love to see us acquire Scott Thornton, if either he or Konowalchuk can play on the right, which I think they might. Anybody know if either guy has ever played on the right, and if they had success? The only problem is, if Pierre is planning on trading for a goalie later in the season, our assets are pretty thin to aquire Thornton and a goalie, but then again SJ might get desperate if they are in need of a salary dump.

Closed Thread