vCash: 500
DEG Metro Stars (Germany) to KHL?

just rumours, article here

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Scarecrow Boat

Google translator changed KHL to NBA. Knew right away the article was unreadable lol

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:55 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

It says that club has financial problems, russian investor is interesting in buying club, maybe join KHL. Club will discuss this topic in near future. Correct me if wrong

EDIT:
I have just found out that there is Germany thread. Would be better to move it

Old
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
mexicohockey

Hard to imagine that this will work in Düsseldorf.
The fanbase never really accepted the move to the new arena a few years ago, the DEL system in general was widely critized for breaking with traditions, so moving to a different league and losing every imaginable rivalry will not work out. Recipe for disaster.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

A new article about the situation. http://www.eishockeynews.de/aktuell/...-lehnt-ab.html

Düsseldorf thanks the KHL for the invitation, but are staying in the DEL. Despite the rejection they are still interested in further developing a partnership with their discussion partners in Russia.

sturmthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

I'm not even sure if the DEG will stay in the DEL. They've got some serious financial problems there, additionally Fortuna (the local soccer club) has good chances to get promoted to the Bundesliga, which will have another negative impact for the DEG.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Alpine

I was interested in the comment of a huge building in Dusseldorf.
It's a 13,400 seat venue and Metro Stars averaged 5,200 not far below the league average of 5,755 last season.
Is it the cost of the building, the location that hurts?
Last question, I promise...
What was the capacity of the old rink and the average attendance there?

Team and league attendances in 2010-11 from IIHF.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=4f3f3c48a0

Only 1 NA league the NHL draws more than the top 4 European leagues.

Last edited by Alpine: 02-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
Is it the cost of the building, the location that hurts?
No, as far as I know, the ISS Dome is rather cheap. Cologne, however, has some serious problems because their over-sized arena (18,500) is very expensive. Düsseldorf has just lost its biggest sponsor (Metro) which makes it hard to finance a successful team with a low attendance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
ILast question, I promise...
What was the capacity of the old rink and the average attendance there?
The capacity of the Brehmstraße is 10,285. Their attendance average in their last season there (2005/06) was 6,601. Most people are complaining that the new ISS Dome is "too modern" and it doesn't generate a "hockey feeling". I don't know how the prices have grown since moving to the Brehmstraße. I've been to the ISS Dome twice (and will go to another away game of my local team in March) and I'd describe it as "nothing special". The Brehmstraße has more standing areas, which made the atmosphere pretty good. I've been there once, but I watched a game between Düsseldorf's junior team and Dortmund (Oberliga).

I hope these information are useful for you.

If there are any questions left, feel free to ask

Old
02-09-2012, 12:24 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

KHL is in connection with Hannover Scorpions. Club can join KHL next season or later.

Old
02-09-2012, 06:29 PM
PlietscherDassel

I would love to have a german team in the KHL. Just to see what happens. I think it could work pretty well.

PlietscherDassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
KHL is in connection with Hannover Scorpions. Club can join KHL next season or later.
Who's going to finance that team? Hannover's got problems to finance a competitive DEL team, if they joined the KHL, they'd get humiliated in every single game. However, I don't think anyone would miss them, Hannover is Indians territory!

Old
02-10-2012, 11:11 AM
PlietscherDassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salzig View Post
Who's going to finance that team? Hannover's got problems to finance a competitive DEL team, if they joined the KHL, they'd get humiliated in every single game. However, I don't think anyone would miss them, Hannover is Indians territory!
I think the only possibility to see a german KHL team is via foreign (russian) investors.

PlietscherDassel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
I read an article a few days ago that said the Russian investors would pump €2,000,000 into the team annually. If that is enough to make them competitive in the KHL is another question though.

Old
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
mexicohockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
I read an article a few days ago that said the Russian investors would pump €2,000,000 into the team annually. If that is enough to make them competitive in the KHL is another question though.
Not even close. 2m € is what an average 2nd tier team in Germany will spend. For the KHL with all the nightmarish travel and much bigger payroll you should have around 10m €.

mexicohockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 02:58 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
10m €.
If I remember, HC LEV´s budget is cca 13m euro

Old
02-11-2012, 06:41 PM
sturmthis
@Zen_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicohockey View Post
Not even close. 2m € is what an average 2nd tier team in Germany will spend. For the KHL with all the nightmarish travel and much bigger payroll you should have around 10m €.
Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea of how much Düsseldorf currently spends on their roster right now? The travel I think would be the major reason to stay away from the KHL as a German team. Especially if DEG tries to go in spending below the average team.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:55 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmthis View Post
Thanks for the information. Do you have any idea of how much Düsseldorf currently spends on their roster right now? The travel I think would be the major reason to stay away from the KHL as a German team. Especially if DEG tries to go in spending below the average team.
If any german clubs joins KHL it wont be DEG but Hannover Scorpions

Old
02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
If any german clubs joins KHL it wont be DEG but Hannover Scorpions
I doubt it ever happens but the Scorpions would make more sense than the DEG. Hannover has never really embraced the upstart Scorpions - the 2nd tier Hannover Indians have been the city's traditional hockey team for decades. So might as well go to an entirely different league as the die hards don't care about the Scorpions either way. They also have a pretty big arena they haven't been able to fill (averaging 3,790 this season with a 10,767 capacity) in recent years.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Alpine

My question is...does the KHL have the business plan in broadcast and merchandise sales to include teams from Germany, Czech Rep, Switzerland and maybe Italy.
It's a grand dream............but with average attendance under 7,000.......sponsors and gates won't cut it at the salaries being offered?

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Foma Kiniaev

Quote:
The capacity of the Brehmstraße is 10,285. Their attendance average in their last season there (2005/06) was 6,601. Most people are complaining that the new ISS Dome is "too modern" and it doesn't generate a "hockey feeling". I don't know how the prices have grown since moving to the Brehmstraße. I've been to the ISS Dome twice (and will go to another away game of my local team in March) and I'd describe it as "nothing special". The Brehmstraße has more standing areas, which made the atmosphere pretty good. I've been there once, but I watched a game between Düsseldorf's junior team and Dortmund (Oberliga).
Take it from someone who played in their youth teams and knows a bit about the club and its devotees, you hit the nail right on the head. However, the location is also something that has led to some of the DEG fans deciding not to attend the games due to the longer travel time, as it is located outside the city in what the city's government is calling a type of business park, whereas Brehmstrasse is right in the middle of the city and is very easy to get to (and many of the fans live in the city instead of in the suburbs.)

The atmosphere is also rather lacking as mentioned above, as the ISS Dome is rather large and Brehmstrasse is more confined leading to a greater sense of togetherness (for lack of a better word). I don't even think they sell out the games against Cologne anymore, which is rather sad considering they used to cram the old rink to more than 110% capacity. Loved those days as well since, when you played in the youth teams you got free entrance to some of the seated areas up top and right behind the opposing teams' goal.

Foma Kiniaev is offline   Reply With Quote