HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXXII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
I would sacrifice my first child for a chance to play the Rags in the playoffs.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Andy

Man, I wonder where the Rangers would be without Lundqvist this season. I've watched many games, while they are not terrible(imo they are a playoff team), they aren't a 1st place team. That man bails them out of so many games, but the goalie is a part of the team.

If the habs do make the playoffs, i would love for them to play the Rangers.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Man, I wonder where the Rangers would be without Lundqvist this season. I've watched many games, while they are not terrible(imo they are a playoff team), they aren't a 1st place team. That man bails them out of so many games, but the goalie is a part of the team.

The east is the weakest I can remember for some time. I wouldn't be afraid of playing any team except a completely healthy philly.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Where would we be without Price? And clearly the team that we shouldn't face are the Bruins. Everything else is beatable unless Lundqvist does play the same. It's not like we're throwing incredibly firepower at him. As far as the Rangers are concerned, not enough merit goes to their team and especially their D's. But the East as a whole is incredibly weak.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Where would we be without Price? And clearly the team that we shouldn't face are the Bruins. Everything else is beatable unless Lundqvist does play the same. It's not like we're throwing incredibly firepower at him. As far as the Rangers are concerned, not enough merit goes to their team and especially their D's. But the East as a whole is incredibly weak.
I thought Price has played below expectations this year .

Old
02-12-2012, 03:06 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Price looked so composed last night. All week, really. He looks like he's moving in slow motion. So confident, swatting pucks away and playing the puck all the way up the ice. He's in the zone.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I thought Price has played below expectations this year .
Well since the expectations for the guy that we traded everybody to make room for him means that it's extremely high, even if he was just "good", can you imagine where we would be if he had been mediocre? You answered your own question. Goalie is part of the team and with the Habs, it might have been more true than any other teams in this league. Rangers are playing a good system and work well right now with a coach who is continuously on their face. It works this year. In the regular season. Remains to be seen how it will work in the playoffs. But I doubt that we would invent some new firepower on our team. So if we meet the Rangers we need Lundqvist to be just good. Problem is that usually in the playoffs, aside from a couple of odd years, goalies do play extraordinairy to make it far. If Lundqvist does it, he just do what any cup winning goalies does. Which is what our goalie will have to do if we want to go far as well. Lately, Price is being absolutely stellar. Funny part about that is that we are scoring way more goals....seems to me that there is a correlation between the 2 and again, confidence plays a huge part.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Price My Man Crush

The Rangers are 19-5-1 on their last 25 games.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Watching Rangers games makes me sick to my stomach. After 2 periods, they show that McD led the Rangers in TOI. He scores the second goal on a beautiful toe-drag and finishes the game with 25 mins of ice-time (most on the Rags, of course).

How the **** do you trade the most used defenseman on the best team in the East for a guy that team is desperately trying to get rid off.

**** off.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Watching Rangers games makes me sick to my stomach. After 2 periods, they show that McD led the Rangers in TOI. He scores the second goal and finishes the game with 25 mins of ice-time (most on the Rags, of course).

How the **** do you trade the most used defenseman on the best team in the East for a guy that team is desperately trying to get rid off.

**** off.
"How the **** did we trade a 23-year-old 30-goal scorer and a +15 heart and soul defenceman for 6 goals from Craig Rivet" - hypothetical San Jose Sharks fans.

Win some trades and lose some. That Gomez trade sucks, we're running out of ways to say it, but Habs fans gotta move past it..

Old
02-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
"How the **** did we trade a 23-year-old 30-goal scorer and a +15 heart and soul defenceman for 6 goals from Craig Rivet" - hypothetical San Jose Sharks fans.

Win some trades and lose some. That Gomez trade sucks, we're running out of ways to say it, but Habs fans gotta move past it..
Gorges wasn't doing that much for them and the pick turned into gold, something that could've well turned into a miss. Playoff teams will always deal futures for some help heading into the post-season, so they often lose out on deals.

That was an offseason deal. We traded a guy WE picked and had seen 3 years of. Even Timmins was fuming when he learned we dealt McD.

That was the stupidest trade I've ever seen. Even the Ribs trade doesn't look half as bad.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Difference is that we had McDonagh in our pool. San Jose didn't have Pacioretty in their pool. Possible that their scouting group knows that they would not have have picked him anyway.

And the win some lose some theory does apply when it's about even in both categories. We do always have to go back to that trade to mention how good a transaction was. But we don't have to go that far back to know how bad our trades were. And as good as Gorges is, and he is great, this is not as obvious as goal scorers or point producers players. Which McDonagh will end up being on top of being great defensively. Or like Grabs is. Or like Lats was prior to his concussion etc. Sorry but trade wise, we have lost more than we have won. Our WINS are with the draft, where we have WON more than we lost.

The trade made no sense then. Makes no sense now. And will even make less sense in the future.

Old
02-12-2012, 03:59 PM
sheed36

Quote:

Difference being who's to say the Sharks would've even drafted Pacioretty? The Habs already had McDonagh in their system and practically gave him away..

I agree with your last point though that it's time to move on.. Everyone agrees it was a brutal trade but it's over and done with and there's nothing that can be done to undo it unfortunately.. It's quite sad to see the amount of young players the Habs have practically given away for very little return who have turned into solid NHL players elsewhere.

Edit.. Damn.. I stepped away for a few minutes while typing my reply and WS posted practically the same as me..

Old
02-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Difference being who's to say the Sharks would've even drafted Pacioretty? The Habs already had McDonagh in their system and practically gave him away..

I agree with your last point though that it's time to move on.. Everyone agrees it was a brutal trade but it's over and done with and there's nothing that can be done to undo it unfortunately.. It's quite sad to see the amount of young players the Habs have practically given away for very little return who have turned into solid NHL players elsewhere.
I'm all for moving on though we also have to MOVE the ones that made those mistakes. Everytime you see the people responsible for that, you have no choice but to make allusions to those trades. So it is tough to move on seeing how good or great those players already are and will become......but moving on from the people who made those moves possible will be a start to moving on....

Edit: Great minds think alike do they....

Old
02-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post

I'll move past it once the Habs aren't outside the playoffs blaming the season on Markov not being there.

Guess what? We're probably comfortably in a playoff spot if McD slides into that top spot. We'd actually have an amazing top 4 with him.

That trade wasn't just brutal. It was backbreaking. We got a crippling contract for a core player that's likely going to be a top defenseman in the league for a long time.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I'll move past it once the Habs aren't outside the playoffs blaming the season on Markov not being there.

Guess what? We're probably comfortably in a playoff spot if McD slides into that top spot. We'd actually have an amazing top 4 with him.

That trade wasn't just brutal. It was backbreaking. We got a crippling contract for a core player that's likely going to be a top defenseman in the league for a long time.
Some will say that Gomez made it possible to have the run we had with Halak. Probably forgetting a certain guy named Koivu who chances are would have done just the same if not more. Was indeed backbreaking.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Difference is that we had McDonagh in our pool. San Jose didn't have Pacioretty in their pool. Possible that their scouting group knows that they would not have have picked him anyway.

And the win some lose some theory does apply when it's about even in both categories. We do always have to go back to that trade to mention how good a transaction was. But we don't have to go that far back to know how bad our trades were. And as good as Gorges is, and he is great, this is not as obvious as goal scorers or point producers players. Which McDonagh will end up being on top of being great defensively. Or like Grabs is. Or like Lats was prior to his concussion etc. Sorry but trade wise, we have lost more than we have won. Our WINS are with the draft, where we have WON more than we lost.
I understand that it was an awful move. Agree with you on all accounts. I like to think out loud when I post, and try and understand the moves. Because I refuse to beleive anyone running the Habs can be that dumb, they just simply make mistakes and as crazed fans we have to deal with them.. McDonagh didn't make a lot of sense to be the prospect included. He fits the mold of the ideal Hab. Gainey-Gauthier-Timmins- era regime has favoured college-educated NCAA players. In trades, draft, and UFA signings. Cole, Gio, Cammy, Gill, Moore, Halpern, Bourque.. Guys who on average are probably a bit sharper upstairs than kids who ran wild in the OHL or Q or WHL or whatever for three or four years. There must be more reason McDonagh was included. Must be.

I don't like the Grabovski example though. Remember Grabovski skipping a plane in Phoenix after being a healthy scratch? He wasn't very popular here, but in hindsight I guess it makes sense to feel a sting when they have success elsewhere. Plekanec and Koivu were coming off of good years, Gainey wanted a big centreman. I viewed Grabovski trade as a bit of a gentleman's agreement between him and Cliff Fletcher as anticipation towards signing Sundin. A second round pick for Grabovski wasn't a bad return- sent it for Robert Lang who was the Habs best forward in the upcoming season..

Old
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
I understand that it was an awful move. Agree with you on all accounts. I like to think out loud when I post, and try and understand the moves. Because I refuse to beleive anyone running the Habs can be that dumb, they just simply make mistakes and as crazed fans we have to deal with them.. McDonagh didn't make a lot of sense to be the prospect included. He fits the mold of the ideal Hab. Gainey-Gauthier-Timmins- era regime has favoured college-educated NCAA players. In trades, draft, and UFA signings. Cole, Gio, Cammy, Gill, Moore, Halpern, Bourque.. Guys who on average are probably a bit sharper upstairs than kids who ran wild in the OHL or Q or WHL or whatever for three or four years. There must be more reason McDonagh was included. Must be.
Timmins was fuming after the deal. Gainey clearly didn't ask him if it was wise to include McD in the deal.

Gainey panicked. I dread the fact Gauthier might have told him Gomez was a player worth giving a blue-chip prospect on defense.

Yes, they are that dumb. Everyone could see it was stupid at the time, now it just looks beyond idiotic. That should've been a fireable offense for all involved.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:26 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Timmins was fuming after the deal. Gainey clearly didn't ask him if it was wise to include McD in the deal.

Gainey panicked. I dread the fact Gauthier might have told him Gomez was a player worth giving a blue-chip prospect on defense.

Yes, they are that dumb. Everyone could see it was stupid at the time, now it just looks beyond idiotic. That should've been a fireable offense for all involved.
Sather must of been doing cartwheels in his office when he was able to dump Gomez. Add to it he managed to pry away McDonagh is highway robbery.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

clearly didnt asked Timmins... so what makes you think he asked Gauthier ?

Old
02-12-2012, 04:29 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Timmins is the head scout of amateur scouting.
Gauthier was Gainey's right hand man. You're kidding yourself if you think Gauthier wasn't involved. But to which level? That, we'll never know.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:31 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Gauthier was head of pro scouting. He was most likely the one giving reports on Gomez.

Old
02-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Moen in Glory
@MoeninGlory

Blue Jackets are painful to watch.

And tonight the Ducks are not much better. Ugly game!

Old
02-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The east is the weakest I can remember for some time. I wouldn't be afraid of playing any team except a completely healthy philly.
"Afraid" isn't the operational word here. How about a completely healthy Boston or Pittsburgh or the Rangers? Aren't Florida, the Isles, the Devils, the Sens, the Leafs, and the Jets improved? And the Rangers have swept the Flyers.

You don't think some of the usual powerhouses in the West have slipped? While Phoenix and St. Louis are improved, Chicago, Detroit, and Vancouver seem weaker. Anaheim is a joke.

Old
02-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Watching Rangers games makes me sick to my stomach. After 2 periods, they show that McD led the Rangers in TOI. He scores the second goal on a beautiful toe-drag and finishes the game with 25 mins of ice-time (most on the Rags, of course).

**** off.
I'm trying to "get over it", but if the Rangers go all the way (I'm betting on them getting exposed in the playoffs, their offense really doesn't impress me) they better send a thank you card to Gainey. Not only is McD looking really good, but without that cap space their offense would be even more underwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
"Afraid" isn't the operational word here. How about a completely healthy Boston or Pittsburgh or the Rangers? Aren't Florida, the Isles, the Devils, the Sens, the Leafs, and the Jets improved? And the Rangers have swept the Flyers.

You don't think some of the usual powerhouses in the West have slipped? While Phoenix and St. Louis are improved, Chicago, Detroit, and Vancouver seem weaker. Anaheim is a joke.
The Rangers don't scare me, healthy or not, they haven't outplayed us in a while. Boston has had great luck with injury and with or without Horton it's the same story, we've lost to them but they never dominated us, even in the Cammalleri gongshow.

The fact remains few teams in the east scare me. For some reason the one team I completely write off winning against right now is the Caps despite looking bad against everyone else. If Crosby and Malkin were both healthy than the Pens would be another story, but it's been a long time since we have seen that

Closed Thread