HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Predators Prospect Updates - Pt II

Old
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
no rookie game. just integrated into the skills comp. For his portion of the challenge relay, i thought he looked great...but he was really only involved for about ten seconds.
Maybe I'm biased, but it looked like Smith got through the puck control event the fastest out of everyone. Not that it's much of an accomplishment though.

Datsyuk was silky smooth.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Maybe I'm biased, but it looked like Smith got through the puck control event the fastest out of everyone. Not that it's much of an accomplishment though.

Datsyuk was silky smooth.
i thought he did to.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:19 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Smith got rave reviews on his relay on the post-game show. And maybe a bit bias, but it seemed the loudest cheer was for him of all of the relays.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Zach Budish and the Golden Gophers are on NBC sports.

Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:18 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Maybe it's too early to give up on cam Reid. He's on the Winterhawks as an overager and he's scored 19 pts. in 14 games for the WHL playoff bound Winterhawks.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Maybe it's too early to give up on cam Reid. He's on the Winterhawks as an overager and he's scored 19 pts. in 14 games for the WHL playoff bound Winterhawks.
All that needs to be said... Not really that great of stats

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 01:03 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
All that needs to be said... Not really that great of stats
3rd on the team in pts/G but still. what he did was a ******* move.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:30 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
3rd on the team in pts/G but still. what he did was a ******* move.
I can see it a number of ways. As a former coach at the collegiate club level, I don't appreciate what he did...but also realize that college hockey is not for everyone. Reid appears to be at a crossroads in his career where he felt that he needed more game experience than the NCAA could give him and saw this opportunity as the best route to take the next step in his development.

In Portland, Reid is playing 3-4 games per week as opposed to 1-2 per week in the NCAA. As I wrote earlier, during their first rookie camp together, Reid (#83) and Craig Smith (#81) caught my eye as guys with a a good frame that needed filling out and a lot of raw skill. We know what Craig Smith has done, but we also know that Reid spent last summer training in Vancouver to increase his strength & speed and has filled in some of his lanky frame. I think he might be a different player now than what he was when he was drafted and simply feels that playing for an NHL coach in Mike Johnston on a top junior team might be best for him to continue developing right now.

It hurt SCSU. There is no doubt about that, they had to play a defenseman up front this past week I believe due to a lack of healthy forwards, but as for his professional prospects, I'm not sure I'd write him off at all. IIRC, he informed SCSU that he was considering this opportunity, they made their case, and he chose to pursue it. As a prospect grows up and changes his mind on a commitment he made as an 18 year old when he turns 20, I'm not going to hold it against him as a character flaw unless there is a pattern there of waffling or indecision.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I can see it a number of ways. As a former coach at the collegiate club level, I don't appreciate what he did...but also realize that college hockey is not for everyone. Reid appears to be at a crossroads in his career where he felt that he needed more game experience than the NCAA could give him and saw this opportunity as the best route to take the next step in his development.

In Portland, Reid is playing 3-4 games per week as opposed to 1-2 per week in the NCAA. As I wrote earlier, during their first rookie camp together, Reid (#83) and Craig Smith (#81) caught my eye as guys with a a good frame that needed filling out and a lot of raw skill. We know what Craig Smith has done, but we also know that Reid spent last summer training in Vancouver to increase his strength & speed and has filled in some of his lanky frame. I think he might be a different player now than what he was when he was drafted and simply feels that playing for an NHL coach in Mike Johnston on a top junior team might be best for him to continue developing right now.

It hurt SCSU. There is no doubt about that, they had to play a defenseman up front this past week I believe due to a lack of healthy forwards, but as for his professional prospects, I'm not sure I'd write him off at all. IIRC, he informed SCSU that he was considering this opportunity, they made their case, and he chose to pursue it. As a prospect grows up and changes his mind on a commitment he made as an 18 year old when he turns 20, I'm not going to hold it against him as a character flaw unless there is a pattern there of waffling or indecision.
so since this is his last year in junior, presumably this summer he will either be signed to an ELC by the preds and get a chance to make the roster in milwaukee or else he will be cut loose, right?

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
so since this is his last year in junior, presumably this summer he will either be signed to an ELC by the preds and get a chance to make the roster in milwaukee or else he will be cut loose, right?
No, since he was drafted out of the NCAA, the Preds maintain his rights until his class graduates. Therefore, if necessary they can sign him to an ATO or minor league deal and still maintain his NHL rights for another season or two...

Old
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No, since he was drafted out of the NCAA, the Preds maintain his rights until his class graduates. Therefore, if necessary they can sign him to an ATO or minor league deal and still maintain his NHL rights for another season or two...
I see. But what happens if he isnt good enough to crack the roster in milwauke?? Cincy?

or could he go back to college since presumably he has eligibility left?

Old
02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I see. But what happens if he isnt good enough to crack the roster in milwauke?? Cincy?

or could he go back to college since presumably he has eligibility left?
He can't go back to a US college because a jr contract counts as a pro contract. He's ineligible at this point.

I also don't think it was a bad move on his part to leave SCSU. No one knows what the circumstances were, and now he's playing on the top line of one of the best teams in all of the CHL. The points are a bit of a smokescreen, given his age and line mates, but it's still better than going to Portland and NOT producing.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Knighthammer

London Knights fan here, just wanted to pass along that Austin Watson had a pretty productive weekend. 1g 7a in the last three games.

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:12 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighthammer View Post
London Knights fan here, just wanted to pass along that Austin Watson had a pretty productive weekend. 1g 7a in the last three games.
Who are his line mates these days?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:24 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Preds article talking about some of our prospects: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

Pretty high on D Garrett Noonan.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 02:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Preds article talking about some of our prospects: http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NSH|home

cue the Caddyshack clips on the jumbotron

Old
02-24-2012, 08:56 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Just turned on NBCSN and I'm catching the last couple mins of BU and Vermont. Noonen is in the box for roughing.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Shalla with another goal and an assist tonight. Guy keeps chugging along.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

For you Canadians, I'm watching UND-DU game on nbcsn, right now ... Is Nick Shore related to Eddie in any way shape form or fashion?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:46 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Mattias Ekholm looks to be having a pretty good time so far: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8373

It seems when a lot of people on here are trying to configure rosters for next year, everyone always forgets about Ekholm. I think he sticks with the club next year.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Always forget to put Budish stuff on here but he hosted the Gopher radio show on Monday. There's nothing Nashville-related but you get a good idea at his mind for the game.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/gophers (2/27 Don Lucia Show)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
For you Canadians, I'm watching UND-DU game on nbcsn, right now ... Is Nick Shore related to Eddie in any way shape form or fashion?
No but he is related to Drew.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2012, 09:06 PM
teddygmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post

Two huge goals by Noonan today to help BU advance!
He now has 16 goals on the season, up from 4 last year!

teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:04 AM
braindead

Saw the other day that the Preds signed prospect Jack Mclellan and saw an article today that he was in Phoenix practicing with the team and would be practicing with them the rest of the year.

Is this typical? I guess he was signed after the AHL deadline but it seems like others have joined the Ads later and it seems like he would be practicing with them instead. Any insights?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Saw the other day that the Preds signed prospect Jack Mclellan and saw an article today that he was in Phoenix practicing with the team and would be practicing with them the rest of the year.

Is this typical? I guess he was signed after the AHL deadline but it seems like others have joined the Ads later and it seems like he would be practicing with them instead. Any insights?

I know last year pickard practiced with nashville after the ECHL season ended... I think its just a way to get prospects who would otherwise be doing nothing some practice time.

Old
03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

MacLellan is expected to join Milwaukee soon on an ATO. He has a one year ELC (due to age it can't be longer) that won't start till next season. I really like this signing. MacLellan fit in seamlessly at prospect camp last summer and has a bright future ahead...

UPDATE: Apparently MacLellan is staying with the Preds to practice the rest of the season.

http://www.browndailyherald.com/mobi...tors-1.2714785

Last edited by Seth Lake: 03-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.