HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#55 | Florida Panthers vs. New York Islanders | Feb 12 | L 1-4

Old
02-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Isles75

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Oh look, we currently have the #5 overall pick. What is it with that pick?

Sad to say, we are not making the playoffs. Fire up the phones Garth, we need a defenseman.
It's the Hockey Gods mocking us. Their subtle way of reminding us of a certain type of defenseman we will never have again.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
just got back from the game, had amazing seats and wow is Aaron Ness Short. Seriously its like seeing Michael J Fox on the ice, good passer and skater though but definitely aint going to stop anyone with his size.

Tough loss, they played like absolute crap. Okposo needs to go!! Im sorry but this guy is a bust.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
It's the Hockey Gods mocking us. Their subtle way of reminding us of a certain type of defenseman we will never have again.
we were 3 players away from being competitive at the start of the year. with nabakov's emergence, we were down to two: a top pairing dman, and a legit top six consistent threat. those are big items to get, but until we get them, this team will have a hard time surviving. now, w/o hamo, we're really hurting defensively (and we're missing some of his jam, undeniably). without rick nash, we're missing a solid top 6.

Last edited by Disgraced Cosmonaut: 02-12-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Isles75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
we were 3 players away from being competitive at the start of the year. with nabakov's emergence, we were down to two: a top pairing dman, and a legit top six consistent threat. those are big items to get, but until we get them, this team will have a hard time surviving. now, w/o hamo, we're really hurting defensively (and we're missing some of jam, undeniably). without rick nash, we're missing a solid top 6.
I hear ya. But last year really ****ed us. I Hope Strome produces on that huge upside, because I really wanted Larsson in last years draft.

Isles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles75 View Post
I hear ya. But last year really ****ed us. I Hope Strome produces on that huge upside, because I really wanted Larsson in last years draft.
i'll take suter over larrson over the next 4 years. i wish (w/o actually hoping) that they'll overwhelm him with an offer.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
i'll take suter over larrson over the next 4 years. i wish (w/o actually hoping) that they'll overwhelm him with an offer.
And I'd take Weber over Suter, but it's going to take 8+ million/year for either of them to consider the Isles.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
And I'd take Weber over Suter, but it's going to take 8+ million/year for either of them to consider the Isles.
I would give Suter 8 million for 5 or 6 years. But then i checked my bank account and only have 800 dollars waaahhh #poorcollegesenior

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
sure. i'm assuming they'll keep weber.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Islander Prophet

This loss is huge, we have no choice to win 4 of the next 5 games if we want to keep up. What helps is that the three teams we're chasing (WSH,TOR,OTT) are also struggling, so I wouldn't be surprised if we can make the playoffs with less than 90 pts ( the 3 teams are all currently 6 games over .500, so 88 pts right now is in). All this to say that we need a strong streak of wins in the next few games to get back the momentum that is slowly slipping away now with two hard losses in the last 3 games

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:00 PM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
This loss is huge, we have no choice to win 4 of the next 5 games if we want to keep up. What helps is that the three teams we're chasing (WSH,TOR,OTT) are also struggling, so I wouldn't be surprised if we can make the playoffs with less than 90 pts ( the 3 teams are all currently 6 games over .500, so 88 pts right now is in). All this to say that we need a strong streak of wins in the next few games to get back the momentum that is slowly slipping away now with two hard losses in the last 3 games
Then, what happens next? The Isles have a game that is somewhat meaningful that would put them within striking range of a playoff spot and they come out with a pathetic effort such as today and their home in home with the Leafs. Today, Tavares was the only one who seemed to play with some emotion and to actually care.

JTforPres2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
islandermike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Don't feel so bad. The Devils were doing real good, and beating really good teams including the Rangers twice in a week, and the other Division teams not including the Isles who we didn't play, and lost in a shootout to St Louis which was probably our best loss of the year, and were shutdown by the Panthers yesterday.

The Devils didn't play like they had been yesterday. Maybe the Panthers took that momentum, and fed off it.

One thing I noticed is Brian Rolston. The dude looks like he's strolling through Rockefeller Center out there. I remember being upset that Rolston was scratched most of the 95 playoffs for the Devils cause he was having a good rookie season. When he came back to the Devils I was pretty disgusted by the contract, and his play after that gave me no reason to change my mind. He played good for the Devils second half of last season when Lemaire was able to get 110% out of every player. That's the only time he impressed me in his second run with the Devils.

I truly feel bad the Islanders agreed to this contract for Trent Hunter a fan favorite who was instantly waived, and bought out by the Devils.

Rolston is the most lethargic looking player out there. With his 13 minutes of ice time though I'm sure it's not him. Capuano is just not giving him a chance just like Sutter didn't.
Clearly Rolston is done, the problem is Rahkshani is not ready. I'd see if Dibenedetto, Ullstrom or even Nino can take that spot on the 3rd line with Bailey and Martin.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
That's not exactly how you prorate totals over 82 games to see what those teams would end up at, based on their current pace. Their actual pace would see Toronto finish with 91 points (90.78 points rounded up), Ottawa with 90 points (90.48 rounded down), and Washington with 91 (90.95 rounded up). So as it stands, it's looking like a team will need 91 points or more to make the playoffs in the East.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
Clearly Rolston is done, the problem is Rahkshani is not ready. I'd see if Dibenedetto, Ullstrom or even Nino can take that spot on the 3rd line with Bailey and Martin.
i'd choose "not ready" over "washed up and doesn't give a @%##" any day.

Rakhshani's almost 24 years old. He's had 1 year and a half in the AHL, almost a PPG player. He can't be more ready to at least TRY in the NHL. And frankly, he's been better in five games than Rolston, Reasoner, Comeau, Wallace, Niederreiter, Haley, Gillies, Pandolfo have looked all year.

I'd have Rakhshani and Ullstrom in the NHL, Nino in junior, Rolston in Bridgeport where he can at least contribute.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
i'd choose "not ready" over "washed up and doesn't give a @%##" any day.

Rakhshani's almost 24 years old. He's had 1 year and a half in the AHL, almost a PPG player. He can't be more ready to at least TRY in the NHL. And frankly, he's been better in five games than Rolston, Reasoner, Comeau, Wallace, Niederreiter, Haley, Gillies, Pandolfo have looked all year.

I'd have Rakhshani and Ullstrom in the NHL, Nino in junior, Rolston in Bridgeport where he can at least contribute.
agreed 100%

Rhett may not have scored while he was up here, but I thought he played well. It would also be nice to have another option on the PK (don't recall if he got much PK time?) He's definitely NHL ready though.

Rolston makes me hate everything about this franchise. Is there another NHL roster he'd be on right now? The guy has 8 stinkin points all year, and that's with getting at least 25 games of 2nd line duty & 40 or however many games he's played with PP time.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
just got back from the game, had amazing seats and wow is Aaron Ness Short. Seriously its like seeing Michael J Fox on the ice, good passer and skater though but definitely aint going to stop anyone with his size.

Tough loss, they played like absolute crap. Okposo needs to go!! Im sorry but this guy is a bust.

Hopefully he uses that to his advantage like Marty St. Louis.

02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
agreed 100%

Rhett may not have scored while he was up here, but I thought he played well. It would also be nice to have another option on the PK (don't recall if he got much PK time?) He's definitely NHL ready though.

Rolston makes me hate everything about this franchise. Is there another NHL roster he'd be on right now? The guy has 8 stinkin points all year, and that's with getting at least 25 games of 2nd line duty & 40 or however many games he's played with PP time.
+1

i really noticed how our 3rd line and pp got weaker since rolston's back.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
Islander Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
That's not exactly how you prorate totals over 82 games to see what those teams would end up at, based on their current pace. Their actual pace would see Toronto finish with 91 points (90.78 points rounded up), Ottawa with 90 points (90.48 rounded down), and Washington with 91 (90.95 rounded up). So as it stands, it's looking like a team will need 91 points or more to make the playoffs in the East.
Actually i consider that at least two of these teams will close the rest of the season at around 500 so i would not be surprised at all if we can make the playoffs at 90 pts or below. Especially ottawa and the leafs are looking shaky. They could even play for less than 500 for the remainder of the season.

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote