HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bob MacKenzie on Bonk trade

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 02:48 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

vCash: 500
Back when he was in Ottawa, Bonk was Don Cherry's favourite senator...

I never understood why.

Old
01-15-2006, 03:14 AM
Hammourabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin
Back when he was in Ottawa, Bonk was Don Cherry's favourite senator...

I never understood why.
Ease of use would be my guess. "Bonk" is a relatively easy name to pronounce for a european player to have, not having too many "v"s and "k"s sandwiching "y"s; and let's not kid ourselves, Cherry needs all the help he can get in that department. It's also a short name, so he can't have that much trouble remembering it.

Old
01-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I'm disappointed in Bob's statement. I would expect that kind of stuff from a whiny HF poster, but I mean, I actually respect Bob McKenzie. I think when you consider that Huet has given us some pretty decent backup goaltending, and Bonk has, to me anyways, for the most part shown he is a decent player (maybe not a top line player, and maybe not worth the salary he makes, but....), I don't see how you call this trade a 'clunker'.

Also when you factor in the fact that Garon started the year struggling, and can hardly be deemed an ESTABLISHED #1 NHL goalie yet, I think you are rushing waaay to quickly to judgement by calling the trade a 'clucker'.

Heck, I'm still not 100% convince that the habs didn't end up getting the best goalie in the deal (now don't jump all over me, I'm not stating if I was a GM and was offered Garon for Huet, I wouldn't jump at it, but......)
well Garon has 20 wins already, and was defensive player of the month, I think that's making a name for yourself don't you?

But I guess we all really have to judge his value after today's game right?

Old
01-15-2006, 04:14 AM
TheRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz

Also when you factor in the fact that Garon started the year struggling, and can hardly be deemed an ESTABLISHED #1 NHL goalie yet, I think you are rushing waaay to quickly to judgement by calling the trade a 'clucker'.

Heck, I'm still not 100% convince that the habs didn't end up getting the best goalie in the deal (now don't jump all over me, I'm not stating if I was a GM and was offered Garon for Huet, I wouldn't jump at it, but......)
Garon started struggling, huh? I would be very happy to see Theo to get one of those struggles It's evident that you have not seen many Kings games and don't know where the major weaknesses coming from.Moreover, you have not seen many of Garon's games where he started to "struggle"

Old
01-15-2006, 04:35 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamourabi
Ease of use would be my guess. "Bonk" is a relatively easy name to pronounce for a european player to have, not having too many "v"s and "k"s sandwiching "y"s; and let's not kid ourselves, Cherry needs all the help he can get in that department. It's also a short name, so he can't have that much trouble remembering it.

"Weird/Funny original post!!

Funny but/and in a weird (but good) way!! ha ha!!

P.S.: I'm sure Cherry wouldn't mind mispronouncing European names...in fact I'm sure he would do it intentionally to annoy European players!! (just kidding! ).

Closed Thread