HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Souray: "We should be ashamed of ourselves."

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Souray: "We should be ashamed of ourselves."

I know there are a lot of threads about Julien's firing, but I think one about the responsibility of the players is required.

RDS interviewed Souray after practice this morning and he had that to say. He may not have had the best season so far, but this locker room could do a lot better with more Sourays. He knows that Julien was fired in large part due to the crappy efforts put out by this team, and here's hoping this is a wake up call to these guys.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
So.. Souray was at practice today? That's a good sign! I hope he's fit to play tonight.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Thanks for posting that. I just found out whats been going on but im glad someone had a quote like this, hopefully everyone in the dressing room thinks this. But it is too late for Julien now, hopefully the players realise they have plenty of time to change their own seasons.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:29 PM
KingJarl

Ok, ok. I just don't get it. Montreal has done this a few times, where they've played so horribly bad that a coach gets fired (Tremblay, Therrien, Julien), right? Why does this happen?

It just seems to happen more here than in any other Canadien city, so what's the deal? Every other Canadian team has had the same coach for years, except of course Ottawa. But of course, the only reason they have a new coach is because they couldn't execute in the playoffs (Lalime!), and not because of an effort worthy of embarassment.

Kingjarl

Old
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
And he looked very sincere as other players like Dandeneault and Begin but yeah, Souray looked downright ashamed.

Old
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave
Thanks for posting that. I just found out whats been going on but im glad someone had a quote like this, hopefully everyone in the dressing room thinks this. But it is too late for Julien now, hopefully the players realise they have plenty of time to change their own seasons.
Souray was almost crying. Begin also said Julien is the best coach he ever had and Dandenault had great words about Claude too.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Yeah, Steve Begin probably feels like he owed a lot to Julien. He has played a lot this year (because he has earned it himself), but Julien is the one who gave him that chance to begin with.

Old
01-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Ross MacLochness

Found this on the NHL board:

"We'd hate his guts for 364 days of the year, and on the 365th day we'd pick up our Stanley Cup rings."

-Steve Shutt on Scotty Bowman.

Meaning, another mistake by Julien... got too buddy-buddy with the players.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:11 PM
oli500

You know julien did all he could with this team, Its to bad you cant fire players because I would of fired half of the team. The one thing about julien that I think cost him his job was him being to much of a nice guy.

So here are my list of players that cost the coach the job

1. Mike ribeiro

2. Jose theodore

3. Richard Zednik

4. Pierre Dagenais

5.Radek bonk (it wasent the first time bonk made a costly mistake that cost us a couple points+his lack of skil on the ofensive side .)

6.Jan Bulis (He could of done so much more)

7. Mark Streit (he shouldent be in the nhl)

Old
01-14-2006, 01:22 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
You know julien did all he could with this team, Its to bad you cant fire players because I would of fired half of the team. The one thing about julien that I think cost him his job was him being to much of a nice guy.

1. Mike ribeiro

2. Jose theodore

3. Richard Zednik

4. Pierre Dagenais

5.Radek bonk (it wasent the first time bonk made a costly mistake that cost us a couple points+his lack of skil on the ofensive side .)

Your list is terrible. I'll give you Theodore, and maybe Bonk. But you can't say a few players cost the coach his job. Especially these players.

Jan Bulis is second on the team in even strength points and is roughly on pace for career highs, which is damn good for a 3rd liner. Pierre Dagenais came into the season as a 13th forward and an insurance policy in case the young guys didn't produce. Mark Streit is a 7th defenseman, who has outplayed Komisarek to this point. Richard Zednik is Richard Zednik. I don't see any difference between him this year and last season, when he was everyone's beloved clutch performer.

I think Claude Julien cost himself this coaching job. Or, if you want, the team as a whole has sucked, which cost him his job. To try to pick a few players and pin all the blame on them isn't right.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:39 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Pretty funny (or not depending....) the Souray's comment on Julien's defending his player in press conferences while at his first press conference as the coach, Gainey point at Souray as being one of the underachiver....I'm sure Souray misses Julien already....

Old
01-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
Pretty funny (or not depending....) the Souray's comment on Julien's defending his player in press conferences while at his first press conference as the coach, Gainey point at Souray as being one of the underachiver....I'm sure Souray misses Julien already....

I can't believe that Gainey doesn't mention Bonk, Ribeiro, Kovalev, Zednik but has to mention OUR BEST DEFENSEMAN and our most improving and physical defenseman.

Not a good start for gainey...

Old
01-14-2006, 01:49 PM
oli500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
Your list is terrible. I'll give you Theodore, and maybe Bonk. But you can't say a few players cost the coach his job. Especially these players.

Jan Bulis is second on the team in even strength points and is roughly on pace for career highs, which is damn good for a 3rd liner. Pierre Dagenais came into the season as a 13th forward and an insurance policy in case the young guys didn't produce. Mark Streit is a 7th defenseman, who has outplayed Komisarek to this point. Richard Zednik is Richard Zednik. I don't see any difference between him this year and last season, when he was everyone's beloved clutch performer.

I think Claude Julien cost himself this coaching job. Or, if you want, the team as a whole has sucked, which cost him his job. To try to pick a few players and pin all the blame on them isn't right.
When we went true injurys problems jan bulis had to step up his games. He went true a horible strecht of not scoring when we needid him to come true. Unlike most people here I have to say that jan bulis those have some hands. He led up the league when he was in europe last year. Jan Bulis is the type of player that if he wanted to be could be a big part of this team. Instead hes happy with the role hes given and dosent push any harder to acomplish something big. Bulis got an asset that so many other hockey players would love to have and that is speed. If this guy worked a bit harder on his scoring abilitys urond the net he could of endid up being a reguarler on the scoring sheat, instead like I said hes just happy with the role hes given. Bulis could of given us so much more than what he has.

Old
01-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso

I can't believe that Gainey doesn't mention Bonk, Ribeiro, Kovalev, Zednik but has to mention OUR BEST DEFENSEMAN and our most improving and physical defenseman.

I just thought it was funny but really I do think that at the same time, by not pointing out forwards, he definately shows that he believes success must start with goalie and defence so I sure hope it also means that a guy like Markov will have more responsability and will be able to pinch a little more.

Maybe it was also a way to say that Julien misused their defenceman as well....and like it was mentioned before he probably also means that those 3 could also be much better that they are which could be a sign that he believes in those guys as well.....

Old
01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
znk

Quote:

1. Mike ribeiro

2. Jose theodore

3. Richard Zednik

4. Pierre Dagenais

Take bulis out of that list. He's been the only constant player durring the last month. And he's supposed to be a 3rd liner. I dont understand how he could have donne more. He's also second on the team for even strenght points.

Old
01-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Take bulis out of that list. He's been the only constant player durring the last month. And he's supposed to be a 3rd liner. I dont understand how he could have donne more. He's also second on the team for even strenght points.
I agree, and I would also strike Dagenais, just because the success of no NHL team will ever depend on him. It's like blaming a spare lightbulb for not burning more brightly rather than looking at why one had to resort to it in the first place. H

Theodore should be first on that list, IMO. The team was able to steal some games at the beginning of the season when he struggled, and as far as I can remember, there hasn't yet been a single game where Theodore has bailed out of his teammates. You absolutely need that, especially when your goaltender is supposed to be elite and the biggest reason you'll be able to contend for a playoff spot in a tough division and a strong conference.

Old
01-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Habsurd

Quote:

1. Mike ribeiro

2. Jose theodore

3. Richard Zednik

4. Pierre Dagenais

Definately take Bulis Off that list , along w Streit ... who definately has nhl skills ... (watch him start blossoming under Gainey... give him a chance).

To be fair, I think you should put Kovalev on there..... But his main problem may have been his injury/post injury conditioning. Same goes for Bonk.

Souray could be there but same as Kov and Bonk..... the benefit of the doubt. But i'd rank Theo, Ribeiro and Zed as the top 3 culprits.

Old
01-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Form and Substance

Well Theo's definitely not been the man this year (he did win us a couple of games though but he's cost us a few more as well), Ribs has been next to useless in a lot of games, which is a shame because he had such a good start, and although I didn't expect much production from Bonk, I did expect more than one frickin tippin goal from him, and factor in the lackluster and often uninspired play of the team in that late November, December stretch, and you have a recipe for amazingly delicious cow dung.

Old
01-15-2006, 04:32 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso

He critisized Bouillon?

Closed Thread