HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Versteeg, the new Patrick Sharp?

Old
02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Versteeg, the new Patrick Sharp?

Versteeg is having a great season, and considering we only got a 2nd and a third for him is starting look like horrible value. We traded for an injured player, and then when he didnt produce we traded him at his least valuable point. Imagine having him on the PP and as a trade chip for a young defense man. IMO we really blew this trade.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:00 PM
mirimon

Well, he wouldn't have had as much ice time if he had stayed with us, might not have been on the first pp even. We wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Jagr either, I believe. It's too bad that things didn't work out for him here, but I'm not laying sleepless at night worrying about us giving up on him too early.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Well, he wouldn't have had as much ice time if he had stayed with us, might not have been on the first pp even. We wouldn't have had the cap space to sign Jagr either, I believe. It's too bad that things didn't work out for him here, but I'm not laying sleepless at night worrying about us giving up on him too early.
True, but he would be playing with more talent.

Cap space could have been had by keeping Schenn in the ahl, right?

Old
02-12-2012, 06:09 PM
DUHockey9

Sharp was buried on the depth chart behind Richards and Carter, and frankly, didn't do all that much with his time anyway (7 in 41 and 8 in 22). There were also rumblings that they did him a favor by moving him somewhere he could get a real chance (perhaps at his request?).

If anything, I think it's more like Nodl than Versteeg. Nodl was drafted in the 2nd round (versus Sharp in the 3rd), put up 27 pts in 115 games over 3 seasons (versus 15 pts in 66 games over 3 seasons for Sharp). Both didn't see very much playing time.

The Flyers decided to "gauge interest" on Nodl and give him away. They made some space on the roster for someone else to have a shot, and gave Nodl a chance elsewhere.

Do I wish we still had Sharp? Hell yea; but I don't lose sleep over it in the slightest. It's not like we traded away someone who was showing great promise at the time.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Tim Tebow

Versteeg's role with the Flyers was limited even last season at about 15 minutes a game. Compared to the Panthers who play him over 20 minutes a game. Plus Versteeg has fallen off anyway he hasn't been to impressive the past couple months.

We aren't sure what we will get from the picks yet were as with Sharp we can at least say Matt Ellison was as big a bust as you can get.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:23 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh. He didn't really fit in here. You have to figure that if Versteeg was still here someone else wouldn't be (Read, Jagr, Talbot, etc). Six of one half dozen of another.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:52 PM
BrindamoursNose

Not really. He just didn't work here (or TO). He at least was a contributor in Chicago. He wasn't a secret by any means this season (although he wasn't expected to do so well).

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I always argued to keep him over Lieno. At least we didn't keep Lieno...

Who knows how Versteeg would be played here; maybe he would have replaced Jagr on Roo's line? I just knew people sold him short, with the little amount of time he played on this team.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Versteeg is having a great season, and considering we only got a 2nd and a third for him is starting look like horrible value. We traded for an injured player, and then when he didnt produce we traded him at his least valuable point. Imagine having him on the PP and as a trade chip for a young defense man. IMO we really blew this trade.
Versteeg sucked here. So we cut bait and moved on. He played for other teams before he got here also so I do not understand what kind of point you are trying to make. What did Chicago get for him? What is the impact of the two picks we have? Call me after the trade with the panthers is done.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Versteeg sucked here. So we cut bait and moved on. He played for other teams before he got here also so I do not understand what kind of point you are trying to make. What did Chicago get for him? What is the impact of the two picks we have? Call me after the trade with the panthers is done.
Chicago's hands were tied down by their lack of cap space. They had to deal him. We on the other hand didnt. We gave up a first and a third for a couple months for him and then traded him for a 2nd and a third. We lost significant value by acquiring a player and trading him when his value was the lowest possible. My gripe is not so much what he could have done for the flyers, it is more about the value we got for him.

Imagine what versteeg's trade value would be at this trade deadline.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:09 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Versteeg was in the "Richards" group and this off season was about trying to build team chemistry. You knew what kind of a player he was in Chicago. He is a good player with high energy and can chip in points. We got picks for him and we cleared cap to bring in other players so I am happy.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:13 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Sharp was buried on the depth chart behind Richards and Carter, and frankly, didn't do all that much with his time anyway (7 in 41 and 8 in 22). There were also rumblings that they did him a favor by moving him somewhere he could get a real chance (perhaps at his request?).

If anything, I think it's more like Nodl than Versteeg. Nodl was drafted in the 2nd round (versus Sharp in the 3rd), put up 27 pts in 115 games over 3 seasons (versus 15 pts in 66 games over 3 seasons for Sharp). Both didn't see very much playing time.

The Flyers decided to "gauge interest" on Nodl and give him away. They made some space on the roster for someone else to have a shot, and gave Nodl a chance elsewhere.

Do I wish we still had Sharp? Hell yea; but I don't lose sleep over it in the slightest. It's not like we traded away someone who was showing great promise at the time.
Nodl wont amount to anything much

How can you compare him to Sharp?

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Versteeg was in the "Richards" group and this off season was about trying to build team chemistry. You knew what kind of a player he was in Chicago. He is a good player with high energy and can chip in points. We got picks for him and we cleared cap to bring in other players so I am happy.

If we could use those two picks to successfully re-tool the defense, I would be happy with that, but I fall into the camp who thinks we gave up on an injured player too quickly. Why do we assume that Versteeg couldn't have succeeded in Philadelphia after Richards was dealt?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:26 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
If we could use those two picks to successfully re-tool the defense, I would be happy with that, but I fall into the camp who thinks we gave up on an injured player too quickly. Why do we assume that Versteeg couldn't have succeeded in Philadelphia after Richards was dealt?
I just believe that they wanted to get rid of all the people that didn't buy into the system. Plus getting rid of him gave us the cap space to sign Jagr and Bryz. I liked Versteeg though and wasn't happy to see him go. Just trying to look on the positive side of it.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:37 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I just wish we never traded for him. We could have used that pick

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:41 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Nodl wont amount to anything much

How can you compare him to Sharp?
Did you not read what I wrote? Look at the numbers. I was comparing Sharp at the time of his trade, to Nodl at the time we waived him. Neither were particularly impressive, and Nodl was drafted higher.

Stop acting like you knew Sharp was going to turn into what he is.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I think both trades were ok. We needed a winger, probably overpaid a little but nothing extreme. Then we traded him to Florida for a similar package. Would have been nice to get the first back, but we needed Versteeg (or a similar player last year). It's just like this year...we could stand pat and essentially throw in the towel for the season or trade something to go for the Cup. We aren't going to get anything of value unless we trade something of value.

Old
02-12-2012, 07:52 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think both trades were ok. We needed a winger, probably overpaid a little but nothing extreme. Then we traded him to Florida for a similar package. Would have been nice to get the first back, but we needed Versteeg (or a similar player last year). It's just like this year...we could stand pat and essentially throw in the towel for the season or trade something to go for the Cup. We aren't going to get anything of value unless we trade something of value.
I say stand pat, we'd do more harm to the team trying to fill a void in one position by stripping pieces at another

Old
02-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Did you not read what I wrote? Look at the numbers. I was comparing Sharp at the time of his trade, to Nodl at the time we waived him. Neither were particularly impressive, and Nodl was drafted higher.

The point is that Sharp eventually turned into an annual 30-goal scorer, which is why people still fret about it. No one expects Nodl to do that.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
The point is that Sharp eventually turned into an annual 30-goal scorer, which is why people still fret about it. No one expects Nodl to do that.
and my point is...

Nobody expected Sharp to do that in 2005 either. That's all.

Old
02-12-2012, 08:19 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:
We were trying to make a run for the Cup. I would do it again.

Old
02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

Actually I was always a Sharp fan because he was a hometown bot playing on my fav team. I never liked the trade from the get go.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I say stand pat, we'd do more harm to the team trying to fill a void in one position by stripping pieces at another
What are you worried about happening? You think dealing MAB and a pick is going to hurt the team?

Old
02-12-2012, 08:26 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
What are you worried about happening? You think dealing MAB and a pick is going to hurt the team?
trading young roster forwards is what i am worried about

Old
02-12-2012, 08:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
trading young roster forwards is what i am worried about
Well yeah. I'm obviously not advocating for the team to make a bad trade. I would trade a young forward for a young defenseman and even an older one depending on who that is. This team has a glut of young forwards but little defense to speak of in the pipe line (no, Gus is not a future #1). I don't think a trade like that is happening though. Doubt the team wants to trade Schenn or Couturier and JvR is injured. I could see Read or a healthy JvR get dealt for a defender, which I wouldn't be opposed to depending on who the defender is, but I think the more likely deal will be picks and prospects for a rental winger and defender.