HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The day after an Eventful Saturday

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
The day after an Eventful Saturday

Ok, now that we have had a chance to reflect on the game, lets curb our enthusiasm for just one second.

First of all, we won this game on special teams. Its nice to see the special teams play exceptionally well at both ends of the ice.

But we really haven't had much of a chance to see the team 5 on 5 in meaningful minutes besides the 1st period where I thought the habs looked no better than before. The jury is still out on how our team can perform 5 on 5 under these rejuvinated circumstances.

Also, I think its important to keep in mind that the first game after a management shakeup is usually a mirage. Sometimes this type of mirage can last for 10 or even 20 games where the team plays a little above their heads. I always talk about short term fixes and long term fixes. Mirages are short term fixes so lets see how this team is performing after the mirage before we get a little carried away because I wouldn't be surprised if this squad goes on a little bit of a mini streak right now.

On to the coaching situation: I recall a thread where I challenged people to find an apt coach to replace Julien rather than just say "fire julien". Well, considering that I wanted to go down the route of experienced coaches and the fact that the coach has to be bilingual for "political purposes" , nobody did really come up with an apt replacement. However, in that thread, I did mention Carbonneau's name. I recall "Capitano" pulling for Carbo hard as well. My concern was that he has no head coaching experience. Having said that, I love Gainey's idea of slowly moulding him for the job. If I had to go through the route of rookie head coach again, then Gainey's plan is exactly the way to go.

Finally, I'd like to wish Claude Julien all the best in his future. I still think he's a smart coach and for whatever reason, this team seeimingly quit on him. Its a results oriented business but I think he's the best coach we had since Alain Vigneault. The team let him down just like Souray said. Better days should be ahead for CJ.

Old
01-15-2006, 08:36 AM
felixd

I wasn't in the "fire Julien" camp and I am sad for him because apparently he is a really nice person, but I am really excited about Bob and Carbo co-coaching till the end of the year. Bob is really going to get to know his team and his players inside out and he is going to know exactly who he wants out and who has a future with the team. That's what he did with Dallas and look at them now. He won them a cup and they have been the best team in the pacific division for years

Old
01-15-2006, 10:08 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I think it shows again that our management has guts and ultimately a keen desire to win. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to just say "hey, Julien is a good coach" (he is), "hey, we're only a couple of points out of a playoff spot" (we are), "hey, CJ has a 3-year deal, let's not waste the money", "hey, our schedule coming up is really rough, do I want to step in now against THAT?", etc.

Instead, Gainey took the proactive view that yes, the schedule we have coming up IS really tough, so if there is a chance to save the season, maybe NOW is the time, and we better get on it. If the team had gone 1-7 in its next 8 games, we'd probably be out of the playoffs for good, and what difference would it have made if Julien was fired then or not? As it is, who knows, we might still go 1-7 (though I'm doubting it), but Gainey has at least made a play to give the team a shot in the arm when needed most, and he put himself in the line of fire to do it.

The Kovalev deal last season, and now this move are two big statements in my mind that the current management isn't actually going to be satisfied with mediocrity. In both cases, it could have been argued that we didn't NEED to make those moves, that we were still building, that Julien was still a good coach, that we still had time to turn things around, etc, etc, yada, yada. Waffling and conservative, tight-fisted and blindly optimistic, like in the past. But, for all that some will argue that there are other proactive roster moves Gainey could have made too and didn't, I still see this as a sign that his ultimate goal and his methods are really in the right place.

Looking forward to this tough stretch in the schedule, it's make or break time, maybe, a little earlier than expected!

Old
01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
mcphee

Considering that Gainey has hired the 2 centers that he spent most of his time beside, the rw'ers can't be far behind. Jimmy Roberts ? Chris Nilan ? Rick Chartraw ? Hmm, Reggie Houle spent some time there. [joking ,relax]

Old
01-15-2006, 10:12 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I think it shows again that our management has guts and ultimately a keen desire to win. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to just say "hey, Julien is a good coach" (he is), "hey, we're only a couple of points out of a playoff spot" (we are), "hey, CJ has a 3-year deal, let's not waste the money", "hey, our schedule coming up is really rough, do I want to step in now against THAT?", etc.

Instead, Gainey took the proactive view that yes, the schedule we have coming up IS really tough, so if there is a chance to save the season, maybe NOW is the time, and we better get on it. If the team had gone 1-7 in its next 8 games, we'd probably be out of the playoffs for good, and what difference would it have made if Julien was fired then or not? As it is, who knows, we might still go 1-7 (though I'm doubting it), but Gainey has at least made a play to give the team a shot in the arm when needed most, and he put himself in the line of fire to do it.

The Kovalev deal last season, and now this move are two big statements in my mind that the current management isn't actually going to be satisfied with mediocrity. In both cases, it could have been argued that we didn't NEED to make those moves, that we were still building, that Julien was still a good coach, that we still had time to turn things around, etc, etc, yada, yada. Waffling and conservative, tight-fisted and blindly optimistic, like in the past. But, for all that some will argue that there are other proactive roster moves Gainey could have made too and didn't, I still see this as a sign that his ultimate goal and his methods are really in the right place.

Looking forward to this tough stretch in the schedule, it's make or break time, maybe, a little earlier than expected!
Good post BG. I know you aren't crazy about some of the moves and contract length and how they limit future moves, but I get your point. For 10 years they were attempting to make the best of a bad situation,now they're making moves with winning in mind. Whether the moves are the right ones are what this board exists to discuss, but at least you have someone committed to winning.

Closed Thread