HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How was the Sundin-Clark Trade received?

Old
02-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Dylbot

vCash: 500
How was the Sundin-Clark Trade received?

I was only nine at the time, so I don't really recall what fans thought of the trade.

With Sundin's number going to the rafter tonight, I'm curious as to what people thought of the trade at the time.

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:06 AM
FrozenJagrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylbot View Post
I was only nine at the time, so I don't really recall what fans thought of the trade.

With Sundin's number going to the rafter tonight, I'm curious as to what people thought of the trade at the time.
Well, how would you feel now if you found out that the heart and soul of your favourite team, the captain and only first overall pick the team has had in recent memory (ever?) ended up being traded for some Swedish kid who was perceived as selfish and somewhat gutless?

I was 4 years old when the trade went down, so all I remember is that "WENDY GOT TRADED! =(". But it isn't hard to empathize with fans. Maybe they were excited to be getting one of the top young talents in the game, but knowing Leafs fans as I do I can't imagine that was the case for the most part.

FrozenJagrt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Hot Water Bottle

I was in a pool hall in the Toronto area when the trade was being discussed on the TV. A certain TV host was indeed making sarcastic comments about the new Leafs captain being "a Swedish guy called Mats"

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:30 AM
whatname

not very well. Clark was coming off a near 50 goal campaign, and Toronto loved his toughness. The Blue Jays came off a recent back to back World Series championships, and Clark and Gilmour were still the biggest athletes in Toronto. That's how much people loved them. Leafs brought Clark and Gilmour back after they had not so great seasons. Clark eventually gave his name to a restaurant just outside of Toronto a few years ago, I heard the food sucks but people went there due to the name.

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:49 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

As a Nordiques fan I hated it at the time and still do to this day, even though we ended up with Claude Lemieux from it. Most of us Nords fans thought we were trading a player with excellent potential for someone who just reached his peak that season and was gonna be on the way down from then on.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:04 PM
bozaksniffles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyfriend of Sara View Post
I was in a pool hall in the Toronto area when the trade was being discussed on the TV. A certain TV host was indeed making sarcastic comments about the new Leafs captain being "a Swedish guy called Mats"
I think I saw Sara on the casting couch

bozaksniffles* is offline   Reply With Quote