HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do yo still believe Brayden Schenn can be a top line center?

Old
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Is Schenn untouchable?
Absolutely. You just don't trade away a top prospect thats only played 30 games for you, and was the kid you traded the team captain for. Why anyone would even put him in a rumor is beyond me.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Top Cheese Danish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Is Schenn untouchable?
Yes. If Schenn gets traded, Homer will basically be admitting the Richards trade was a mistake.

Top Cheese Danish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Yes. If Schenn gets traded, Homer will basically be admitting the Richards trade was a mistake.
Not if he gets tremendous value for Schenn.

But I don't see it happening.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Elever
Hth

Why would Schenn be a top line centre if you have Giroux? I think it's the ideal situation because he's gonna excel and score more as a 2nd line centre. Also frees up the Giroux line cos Schenn can take more line matching type of assignments come playoffs. Couturier will hopefully develop into a good 3rd line centre who puts up good numbers but all three lines get rolled a lot like now so not the usual line 1-3 situation, I like Schenn more than Couturier for offense though.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Why would Schenn be a top line centre if you have Giroux? I think it's the ideal situation because he's gonna excel and score more as a 2nd line centre. Also frees up the Giroux line cos Schenn can take more line matching type of assignments come playoffs. Couturier will hopefully develop into a good 3rd line centre who puts up good numbers but all three lines get rolled a lot like now so not the usual line 1-3 situation, I like Schenn more than Couturier for offense though.
Both these guys are better defensively than Giroux is right now, plus they are good offensively. It's not out of the question that one of them can overtake Giroux. It really depends more on who their linemates are. Giroux needs at least one linemate who can backcheck to make up for his deficiencies and who can score since Giroux is mostly a playmaker. If he doesn't have chemistry with his linemates he may drop down to second. It really doesn't matter who's # 1, 2 or 3 as long as all 3 keep improving.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Both these guys are better defensively than Giroux is right now, plus they are good offensively. It's not out of the question that one of them can overtake Giroux. It really depends more on who their linemates are. Giroux needs at least one linemate who can backcheck to make up for his deficiencies and who can score since Giroux is mostly a playmaker. If he doesn't have chemistry with his linemates he may drop down to second. It really doesn't matter who's # 1, 2 or 3 as long as all 3 keep improving.
Giroux is the best forward on the team by far. Schenn and Couturier have a long way to go before they overtake him.

Old
02-12-2012, 11:35 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I believe the question was more directed towards the concept of will Brayden Schenn live up to his hype. Even if he is never #1 on the depth chart he can still play like a top line center. Kind of like how Malkin is the #2 center but he is really a #1 center or a few years back with Sakic and Forsberg.

Schenn is hotter then Couturier now for offense but in the long run I wouldn't be shocked if Couturier was better offensively. Sean will need to add more weight to his frame and he is coming straight out of the QMJHL into the NHL. It's hard to expect Sean to be much of an offensive player at the moment.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I believe the question was more directed towards the concept of will Brayden Schenn live up to his hype. Even if he is never #1 on the depth chart he can still play like a top line center. Kind of like how Malkin is the #2 center but he is really a #1 center or a few years back with Sakic and Forsberg.

Schenn is hotter then Couturier now for offense but in the long run I wouldn't be shocked if Couturier was better offensively. Sean will need to add more weight to his frame and he is coming straight out of the QMJHL into the NHL. It's hard to expect Sean to be much of an offensive player at the moment.
He's also playing most of his minutes with Rinaldo and assorted scrubs (Sestito, Zolnierczyk, Shelley) on the 4th line. I'm encouraged by his offensive potential as well. It will be quite impressive when he gets into the teens in goals scored this year.

Old
02-12-2012, 11:43 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Giroux is the best forward on the team by far. Schenn and Couturier have a long way to go before they overtake him.
Offensively, sure, but his defence is horrible. If Schenn and Couturier progress as I expect they will, they could overtake him as the #1 centre. His defence hasn't improved at all but they are both defensively responsible.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Offensively, sure, but his defence is horrible. If Schenn and Couturier progress as I expect they will, they could overtake him as the #1 centre. His defence hasn't improved at all but they are both defensively responsible.
Typically line 1 is reserved exclusively for the strongest offensive players. Even if they aren't great defensively it doesn't usually matter because they spend so much time in the offensive zone.

It would be unusual for Schenn or Couturier to skip over Giroux based on defense if they can't match him offensively. You can compare it to Vancouver. Even though the Sedins obviously won't split up. Giroux is similar to Henrik where Schenn should be similar to Kesler who is a Selke threat. Despite his great D he will always play behind the better offensive player.

Old
02-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:

Offense is the most important thing for a #1 center, and I think "horrible" is an overdramatic assessment of Giroux's defense. He's not noteworthy on defense one way or the other, and he's certainly not the second coming of Daniel Briere. He's no worse than Malkin or Sedin or Stamkos and the kind of elite centermen who are known for their scoring and not their checking.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:32 AM
Krishna

Saw a friend post this on fb and thought it wpould be a sweet nickname..

Locomoschenn

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:41 AM
thelos
Bunk

Giroux could always go back to RW too

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Giroux could always go back to RW too
Giroux is better with the puck on his stick

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:59 AM
dats81

Schenn has played less than 30 games for this team.
So far neither him nor Couturier are in the spot to challenge G for first line center.

Maybe one of them can take Briere's spot next year, if they continue to progress nicely and/or Briere doesn't get his mojo back.

Who knows what this team will look like a couple of years from now? They may hit a wall at some point, failing to develop their game till the level of dominance, unable to live up to the hype, turn into gifted role players. Richards and Carter seemed to be a lock on this team and we all know how quickly everything changed at some point.

And this team has a history of moving players from center to wing and vice versa (Briere, Carter,...). The question is not whether Schenn will be a first line center, it's more about Schenn turning into a dominant player anytime soon and if he will be given the ice time that he needs to accomplish this level. Personally I think that he has shown physicality along with great finishing skills so far.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Broad Street Elite

For all our troubles finding a top flight goaltender, we seem to be able to find Centers all over. As far back as Lindros, we've consistently had at least 2 centers that would be number 1 centers on many (most?) other teams.

Now, for those saying that Schenn or Couturier are untouchable, that term is simply a myth. ANYONE can be traded. For example, Giroux... if Detroit offered us Datsyuk, Kronwall and a 1st (yes, absurd), you have to do it.

That said, Schenn doesn't move for anything less than a top 20 defenseman or overwhelming offer. Giroux 1C, Schenn 2C, Couturier 3C is pretty amazing for the next decade.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Locomoschenn

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

Locomoschenn

Hahahahaha. No.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
Prongo
Beer

Has there ever been reports that Homer was even thinking about shopping Schenn? I think a ton of this speculation of him being available was just the fan base basically. I have never even heard of Schenn being traded for anything by any sort of insider. I say he goes nowhere Also Schenn I believe will be a first line center. He has the tools and skills. The last month and half he has put it all together.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Has there ever been reports that Homer was even thinking about shopping Schenn? I think a ton of this speculation of him being available was just the fan base basically. I have never even heard of Schenn being traded for anything by any sort of insider. I say he goes nowhere Also Schenn I believe will be a first line center. He has the tools and skills. The last month and half he has put it all together.
Lol, I haven't heard any but you reminded me of the last "insider" Schenn rumor. Eklund with Schenn to the Leafs for Kris Versteeg, last season lol.