HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Julien fired!! Gainey head coach (ALL TALK IN HERE)

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Habsurd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if the information has been given already so...

Basically Gainey fired Julien and Green and named Carbo and Jarvis Associate coaches. Gainey will take over for the rest of the year as Head coach to ease Carbo's transition to the position. As of next year, Carbo will be the head coach.

I don't feel bad about this move at all 'cause this team needed a shake-up, and it was clear that Julien lost his players. Carbo and Gainey, being players themselves in the past, said that CJ couldn't recognize some of the little signs the players were giving him, and ultimately couldn't deal with the situation appropriately.

Whether or not it will make this team play a better system and have better lines, remains to be seen. Gainey didn't agree with everything Julien did so far, but he respected his decisions and went along with them. He evaluated this team and the coaching staff during that time, and when it was clear that what Julien was doing didn't work, Gainey did what he had to do.

I think what is encouraging is that Gainey wants to play the kids more, and while he still wants to make the playoffs, he clearly stated he wanted to give young players a chance to develop and get experience. This is in contrast with what Julien was doing (he was pro-veteran), and some of the clash between the two was regarding this. Gainey gave Julien the chance to try his methods and philosophy, but in the end when it didn't work, he fired him.

This board was divided for the last few weeks over Julien, with one camp saying he should be fired, and the other saying Gainey would never do it. I was in the first camp, but I didn't want to fire Julien because I couldn't see a better replacement. It's funny because many posters from the second camp were bashing people and saying things like "Gainey knows better than you and won't fire Julien". I wonder how those condescending posters who always think they know everything and spend their time bashing people feel today...

Well placed 'punctuation' at the end, and nice post period.....as were a couple following. Sorry for Julien, but GREAT for the team!

Old
01-15-2006, 10:31 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Here are my thoughts on the Julien firing:

In a post earlier this week, I said there was one element (or several) within the organization that needed to be changed. I think Gainey felt that the coaching system was what needed to be tweaked.

I was chanel surfing over at my gfs yesterday and say that Julien had been fired. My first reaction was anger and sadness (like awww man...why did they do that???). I like Claude. He's a nice guy. He's sincere. But I think these traits may ultimatly has been his downfall.

Bob Gainey was able to sell me on why he fired Claude. I'm hoping that the GM can set the boys straight and get us on the winning track.

(this has got to be one of my worst posts...I'm soooo hung over)

Old
01-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Medicine Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
Bob Gainey was able to sell me on why he fired Claude.
I felt the same way. Julien is a good coach IMO. He'll likely soon find another job in the NHL. But his system didn't really fit with the Habs this year. Our biggest asset, speed, wasn't being utilized and neither was our youth.

Old
01-15-2006, 11:20 AM
nic29+

I was watching the sports highlights last night because I wanted to see if Montreal won and I thought they said that the coach was fired but I wasn't sure if I heard it right. WOW

Old
01-15-2006, 12:53 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
I didn't read the entire thread so I don't know if the information has been given already so...

Basically Gainey fired Julien and Green and named Carbo and Jarvis Associate coaches. Gainey will take over for the rest of the year as Head coach to ease Carbo's transition to the position. As of next year, Carbo will be the head coach.

I don't feel bad about this move at all 'cause this team needed a shake-up, and it was clear that Julien lost his players. Carbo and Gainey, being players themselves in the past, said that CJ couldn't recognize some of the little signs the players were giving him, and ultimately couldn't deal with the situation appropriately.

Whether or not it will make this team play a better system and have better lines, remains to be seen. Gainey didn't agree with everything Julien did so far, but he respected his decisions and went along with them. He evaluated this team and the coaching staff during that time, and when it was clear that what Julien was doing didn't work, Gainey did what he had to do.

I think what is encouraging is that Gainey wants to play the kids more, and while he still wants to make the playoffs, he clearly stated he wanted to give young players a chance to develop and get experience. This is in contrast with what Julien was doing (he was pro-veteran), and some of the clash between the two was regarding this. Gainey gave Julien the chance to try his methods and philosophy, but in the end when it didn't work, he fired him.

This board was divided for the last few weeks over Julien, with one camp saying he should be fired, and the other saying Gainey would never do it. I was in the first camp, but I didn't want to fire Julien because I couldn't see a better replacement. It's funny because many posters from the second camp were bashing people and saying things like "Gainey knows better than you and won't fire Julien". I wonder how those condescending posters who always think they know everything and spend their time bashing people feel today...
To tell you the truth, I believe Bob justified his incompetency by firing the coach. He gave him Dandenault and Kovalev to work with. He signed an overrated goalie to a 3-year 5 M $ per season contract.

Claude Julien will come back as an NHL coach, and kick Montreal's butt as early as next season. Too good of a coach. He'd be PERFECT in a situation like Washington.

Closed Thread