HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question on Rick Knickle

Old
02-11-2012, 12:26 PM
hbk

vCash: 500
Question on Rick Knickle

Coyote fan coming in peace.

Given the uncertainty regarding our team there is a very good chance that UFA's will continue to avoid the Coyotes for the near future.

The future of the Coyotes franchise is going to be on Maloney and Director of Scouting Rick Knickle. Given Knickle's previous history with the Predators I was wondering if any Preds fans could shed some insight on some his finds, preferences (physical players/skilled players), etc.

Good luck to the Preds. Watching your team play the Bruins right now and first thought I had was "there's this year's Stanley Cup final".

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

At first I thought someone had butchered Scott Nichol's name...

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:42 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Who is that?

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Who is that?
Rick Knickle was a scout with the Nashville Predators.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 04:15 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'll be honest... I don't know a lot about his scouting history. You might want to post the question in the Prospects thread and maybe the Admirals/Cyclones thread. Those are probably the posters who know the most about him.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
FD

I remember him from my time working for the preds from 98-2003. I wish I could remember the players he scouted that the Preds drafted, but I cannot. I do remmebr he carried a lot of weight when player evaluations were done for draft prep. I know Poile valued him deeply, and would take his player recommendation over most when they were deadlocked. There was an early changing of the guards of Preds scout, Rick survived that...but I left the team and lost track of guys like this. I know this doesn't give you much, but what I remember...he was a valued player evaluator.

Last edited by FD: 02-12-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Incorrect reference...Radulov wasn't his
FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
I remember him from my time working for the preds from 98-2003. I wish I could remember the players he scouted that the Preds drafted, but I cannot. I do remmebr he carried a lot of weight when player evaluations were done for draft prep. I know Poile valued him deeply, and would take his player recommendation over most when they were deadlocked. There was an early changing of the guards of Preds scout, Rick survived that...but I left the team and lost track of guys like this. I know this doesn't give you much, but what I remember...he was a valued player evaluator.
He was primarily tasked with western Canada. We were heavily into WHL picks during his time of influence: Hamhuis, Hartnell, Erat, Upshall, as well as a slew that didn't pan out. Most notably, he was the one that convinced Poile to go way off the board and take a dman that was rated in the late third in the mid second--Shea Weber.

Since he left, we've made only one selection from the WHL--Taylor Aronson from Portland. Most of our high picks have either been scandinavian(kekkalainen and Bergman) or northeastern/north central junior (OHL, qmjhl, NCAA) scouted by Kealty or even Fenton.

It's usually pretty clear who Poile's go-to scouts are, based on how many guys we take from that region.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He was primarily tasked with western Canada. We were heavily into WHL picks during his time of influence: Hamhuis, Hartnell, Erat, Upshall, as well as a slew that didn't pan out. Most notably, he was the one that convinced Poile to go way off the board and take a dman that was rated in the late third in the mid second--Shea Weber.

Since he left, we've made only one selection from the WHL--Taylor Aronson from Portland. Most of our high picks have either been scandinavian(kekkalainen and Bergman) or northeastern/north central junior (OHL, qmjhl, NCAA) scouted by Kealty or even Fenton.

It's usually pretty clear who Poile's go-to scouts are, based on how many guys we take from that region.
this brings up an interesting thought... is Poile naturally drawn to defensemen(as it has seemed for years) or was it simply that his best scout was scouting the one junior league that seemd to put a premium on defense??

and now that he is relying on other scouts who primarily look at more offense oriented leagues are we going to see more forwards??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:20 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I'll be honest... I don't know a lot about his scouting history. You might want to post the question in the Prospects thread and maybe the Admirals/Cyclones thread. Those are probably the posters who know the most about him.
Believe it or not, the Preds scouts aren't interested in talking to me! He seemed like a good guy.

I remember Rick as the back-up goalie to Danny Lorenz on the Admirals. He also played for half of the IHL teams that I can remember, from Albany to San Diego. He was a very good goalie and had a long minor league career. Too bad that he only played 14 games for the LA Kings. Lorenz had 8 games with the NY Islanders. There are a lot of goalies like those two, not quite good enough for the NHL, but plenty fine everywhere else.

Last edited by adsfan: 02-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote