HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Falcons and Blue Jackets extend agreement & lease; discussion on future

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-27-2012, 07:53 PM
  #26
MM658
Registered User
 
MM658's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Springfield, MA area
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Its amazing how he says expenses are high but doesn't mention which expenses or anything about reducing them. Maybe they can buy used pucks from the midget leagues in the area to reduce expenses.
http://www.masslive.com/sports/index...-_cost_of.html

MM658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
  #27
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM658 View Post

Interesting. He still doesn't say how he reduces expense nor does he indicate all his revenue sources. I know for a fact that each team that sold 1 set of jerseys to MeiGray during the 3 year contract period was paid $20k per year. So the jerseys are sold at the end of the year and they recoup those expenses. They also sell a lot of the sticks as well. There used to be a stick program in the AHL where sticks were provided at no cost.

The AHL is a non profit organization so the "dues" that are paid in are combined with other league revenue such as merchandise sales, etc. This revenue is then reduced by expenses )officiating, etc). The net profits are then divided up and sent back to each club. IIRC, the dues paid were about a wash to what was provided back in a dividend to each club.

His biggest expense that needs to be covered by ticket sales, etc. is the affiliation. He also fails to mention how much he is paying for the arena and if he gets any of the concession money.

So, he, like every other business owner, is painting the picture he wants the public to see so he can get what he wants (more ticket holder, better arena lease, etc).

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:55 PM
  #28
Majik1987
I know kung fu...
 
Majik1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 4,185
vCash: 500
Looks like the annual pledge drive is in full swing...

Quote:
The Falcons rank 28th in attendance in the American Hockey League with an average of 3,341 per game after their first 25 home dates.


"That's just not good enough and this franchise is losing money,'' Landon said. "We think we can make this work, because Springfield is a great hockey market, and what we are asking is for our attendance to average in the 4,200-4,300 range.'''
Link
I'll say this though, Landon is candid. He definitely gets his thoughts out there.

__________________
The Chicago Wolves = 2008 Calder Cup Champions!
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:45 AM
  #29
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Looks like the annual pledge drive is in full swing...



I'll say this though, Landon is candid. He definitely gets his thoughts out there.
He's a broken record. How many years has he been saying this?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
  #30
MM658
Registered User
 
MM658's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Springfield, MA area
Country: United States
Posts: 115
vCash: 500
He's a broken record because his team's performance is a broken record -- as in, having broken the record for most consecutive non-playoff seasons. Asking people to financially support a perennial doormat is asking a lot in this economy. And each season of stench that gets added to the pile just makes a tough-sell even tougher.

MM658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 02:20 PM
  #31
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,411
vCash: 500
Field a winning team. Can't even win with old man Giroux on your squad.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:20 PM
  #32
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
They don't even seem like they try, but also this is where I think the veteran rule should be changed. I think it should be up to 8 veterans which would be only half your skaters. Also, I think some of these fringe AHL guys can spend some time in the E and get more experience and time to hone their game. As it is now, they have 4 years to either make it or hit the road. So for a lot of these guys, they are done by the age of 25.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:44 AM
  #33
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,411
vCash: 500
I have noticed the differences between an AHL and ECHL veteran is minimal as one year the guy could be in one league then the next the other league.

8 veterans? That would tick off the NHL. That would also be entering UHL territory. Makes for a more fun product for the fans though.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:05 AM
  #34
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
They don't even seem like they try, but also this is where I think the veteran rule should be changed. I think it should be up to 8 veterans which would be only half your skaters. Also, I think some of these fringe AHL guys can spend some time in the E and get more experience and time to hone their game. As it is now, they have 4 years to either make it or hit the road. So for a lot of these guys, they are done by the age of 25.
I like estending the veteran rule myself. Of course, i proposed in another thread using a "franchise" exemption. Designate one player with more than 4 years experience and make him the "franchise" player. Build the team's identity around this player, and then the fans would have somebody to identify with.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:41 AM
  #35
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I like estending the veteran rule myself. Of course, i proposed in another thread using a "franchise" exemption. Designate one player with more than 4 years experience and make him the "franchise" player. Build the team's identity around this player, and then the fans would have somebody to identify with.
It's a great idea that won't fly because most NHL teams won't pay the kind of money that such a vet could get if he goes overseas.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
  #36
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
And teams like Springfield do not understand that sometimes you have to spend some money in order to field a competitve team if your NHL affiliate is not stepping up to the plate.

I think that Springfield should just fold as should several other teams and relocate to where they may be able to draw better. Or move those teams out west and change affiliations so that the western NHL teams alleged issues are addressed.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:35 PM
  #37
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
And teams like Springfield do not understand that sometimes you have to spend some money in order to field a competitve team if your NHL affiliate is not stepping up to the plate.
You do realize that the team that you follow is in the minority that has some control over signing/paying for players, right?

Springfield and most other AHL teams do not have the authority to sign their own players per their affiliation agreement. Their GM does make recommendations to the Blue Jackets and it's up to them if they want to take his recommendation. Case in point, he recommended the signing of Manny Legace and CBJ acted on that recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk
I think that Springfield should just fold as should several other teams and relocate to where they may be able to draw better.
And where do you propose that they relocate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk
Or move those teams out west and change affiliations so that the western NHL teams alleged issues are addressed.
Just "move out west" and change affiliations. Yep, that's an easy thing to accomplish.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
  #38
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked
 
Sports Enthusiast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 11,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
And teams like Springfield do not understand that sometimes you have to spend some money in order to field a competitve team if your NHL affiliate is not stepping up to the plate.

I think that Springfield should just fold as should several other teams and relocate to where they may be able to draw better. Or move those teams out west and change affiliations so that the western NHL teams alleged issues are addressed.
Except most NHL teams DON'T CARE about their AHL team.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:11 PM
  #39
Tommy Hawk
Registered User
 
Tommy Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
You do realize that the team that you follow is in the minority that has some control over signing/paying for players, right?

Springfield and most other AHL teams do not have the authority to sign their own players per their affiliation agreement. Their GM does make recommendations to the Blue Jackets and it's up to them if they want to take his recommendation. Case in point, he recommended the signing of Manny Legace and CBJ acted on that recommendation.



And where do you propose that they relocate?



Just "move out west" and change affiliations. Yep, that's an easy thing to accomplish.
They negotiated the affiliation agreements so they can negotiate terms into them. Just because they don't want to have those terms doesn't mean they shouldn't. Also, like Florida and Rochester, Florida was allegedly supposed to provide x number of veterans and they didn't. Rochester should have stood up and said get me them or I will get them and deduct it from your fee.

As for moving out west, do you think if there were some teams that said we want to go to New Mexico, AZ, Las Vegas, Long Beach, San Diego, etc, that Andrews would be able to stop them?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Except most NHL teams DON'T CARE about their AHL team.
But the team OWNERS should care about their team.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.