HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#57: KINGS @ STARS, 2/12/12 PostGame T & T ... Rookies WIN IT !!!

Old
02-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

vCash: 500
That one felt good.

Seventyx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Not to toot my own horn, but...
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Ya know, I've got a weird feeling that tomorrow's Dallas game will be one of the four-goal "explosions" for the Kings' offense... because that will be just enough to keep us hanging around, thinking that they've "turned a corner". Then it'll be back to four games of two goals or less in a row.
Here's hoping the second half of my prediction is WAY OFF!!

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
backhander

this game really highlights what Penner does not bring to the table...the two rookies show their passion and energy (rightfully so). it must make Penner feel great that these kids are in the headlines and scoring. glad to see the kings win and able to put up some goals!

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Another great game from Nolan & King I'm loving it! As other said they go to the net and Richards already chemistry with them. He just knows to throw the puck towards the net and one of them will be there! It's a beautiful thing!
It is a beautiful thing. Four days to the next game seems a long way off, but it does give The Alpha Line (Richards King Nolan) a chance to get three days of quality practice time in.

Wish Kompton could stay clear of the kids...

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:56 PM
deeshamrock

From ESPN' article on the game, this note on Penner (and a change in jobs...)

On the eve of his much-publicized Pancakes with Penner fundraiser at a restaurant in the South Bay, one in which fans entered a drawing to eat breakfast with the maligned veteran, Kings left wing Dustin Penner was a healthy scratch for the second consecutive game. With the success of Nolan and King so far, Penner might want to consider filling out an application while hes there

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:59 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
After today's games:
The Kings have 25 games remaining, and 65 points.

89 points gets the Kings into the playoffs with the #8 seed (one point in front of Dallas and Calgary). That's do-able with a 24 points, a 12-13 record for the rest of the year.

Current pace - 94 points, #7 seed (three points in front of Phoenix).

Sutter Points Percentage (12-5-7) = .649. Project that out for 25 games and the Kings would get 32 more points, for a total of 97 points.... which would be enough to be two in front of Chicago for the #6 spot (and land that first-round matchup against the Sharks).

To take the Pacific, the Kings need 103 points (projected), which would tie them for 5th with Nashville if it didn't get them the division winner #3 seed. To do that, they need a record of 19-6 (percentage of .760).

If you take out the three remaining Kings/Sharks head-to-head matchups, the Sharks are projected to get 98 points in the other 79 games. To stay within striking distance, the Kings need 92 points (or 93, depending on how you look at it) in their other 79 games... 27 points in 22 games, a record of 13-8-1 and a percentage of .614... and of course, a three-game sweep IN REGULATION of the Sharks.
Thanks for the updates after every game. It's interesting to see where they stand points-wise in relation to the teams they're chasing.

They definitely were in "bend, don't break" mode for most of the game, but they made the huge plays when they had to. Clifford broke up a dangerous cross ice pass in the last 30 seconds. Mitchell made a huge block with about 15 seconds to go. I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but King made a great play to keep the puck alive on Nolan's goal. Seventyx7 and I were watching the game, and we both groaned simultaneously because Nolan actually turned the wrong way on the forecheck, and it looked like Dallas was going to break it up the wall easily. However, King made an incredibly strong play on the boards to keep it alive and allowed Richards to swoop down and pick it up. The rest is history.

It's really amazing how much better Richards is looking already with King and Nolan on his line. Fox took an implicit shot at Penner and Stoll in the postgame. He said something along the lines of "Richards actually has players who will hunt down the puck on the forecheck." I've seen/heard several implicit shots at Penner and Stoll in the last couple days from people around the team. Very interesting.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:16 PM
SLang

Honestly, it's not just Penner and Stoll who should be embarrassed by the play of Nolan and King. It's every god d*mn veteran on this team. Really? Bringing in two rookies is going to save your season? What a joke.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Manchester Monarchs 3 - Dallas Stars 2 - Justin Williams 1.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I've always liked Ricahrdson, but it looks like he's lost interest. I don't see the same effort from him anymore.

I concur. It's a shame we can't get that 2nd round pick back. Refund? LoL!

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:24 AM
theMajor

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Manchester Monarchs 3 - Dallas Stars 2 - Justin Williams 1.

its amazing what those guys have done in 2 games. i hope it rubs off on the rest of the team!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
kingsdarkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I concur. It's a shame we can't get that 2nd round pick back. Refund? LoL!
we'd be lucky to get a 4th for him now.

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Dropdapuck

Quote:
its amazing what those guys have done in 2 games
Well they do have the King of Kings playing wing.

Dropdapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:17 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Nolan's gonna fight John Scott? I want some of whatever the hell it is you're on.
If no one is available to fight John Scott, guess what... John Scott doesn't fight anyone. Problem solved.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I like the points like any other, especially these vs the Stars.

But the Kings got badly outplayed in the 1st. The 2nd was a little better but was still bad. I quit watching after the 2-1 of Eriksson because I couldnt handle it anymore.

I take it but the Kings still have a major problem.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:45 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Nolan's gonna fight John Scott? I want some of whatever the hell it is you're on.
Should we really be basing our lineup on John Scott? He's pretty useless and he's only fought twice this season.

Besides, NOBODY should be fighting John Scott. Maybe Chara, but anyone else, even Westy, is at a huge disadvantage.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post

I quit watching after the 2-1 of Eriksson because I couldnt handle it anymore.

Oh come on! Even with our 76-0-5 record when leading after 2 periods? When the 2nd period ended and we had the lead, I KNEW the game was ours!

Old
02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
rapots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Oh come on! Even with our 76-0-5 record when leading after 2 periods? When the 2nd period ended and we had the lead, I KNEW the game was ours!
After 2-2....I had that black cloud over my head the record will be broken as well

rapots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Honestly, it's not just Penner and Stoll who should be embarrassed by the play of Nolan and King. It's every god d*mn veteran on this team. Really? Bringing in two rookies is going to save your season? What a joke.
Agreed. It really points to the lack of veteran leadership on this team. And it's also strange when you could probably pare 10 million dollars worth of payroll off of Lombardi's team and be better off. Stoll, Penner, Richardson, Hunter, Lewis, Westgarth-there is still room for more accountability. Even if you're not required to score goals to have a role on the team you need to produce in the role that you have. If not we'll sit you down and bring in a kid who will bust his butt to stay in the show. Accountability and 3 goals a game, that's all I ask for.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Capn Brown

A couple of impressive tidbits from the stats yesterday....

1) Lok was a perfect 5 for 5 on his faceoffs. Stoll who?

2) King was the ONLY Kings player to finish with a +2. Not bad for a guy most people here said was "useless" last year.

Old
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

Penner, I thought had been one of the better forwards since the all-star break but I suppose we see things differently.
Something happened that Sutter didn't like or he wouldn't have been scratched the last two games.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
well Sutter is Murray part II

I want a young fresh coach dang it

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:54 AM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Something happened that Sutter didn't like or he wouldn't have been scratched the last two games.
I believe it was the second goal against in florida, he is right behind the guy and doesn't try to lift his stick or yell boo or anything, we are not built to have floaters everyone needs to bust their butts every shift and penner for one doesn't.......a coach told me once that when he looks out on the ice if we are standing straight up we aren't skating or hustling and we were off , watch penner he almost always glides, could just be his way but it looks real bad, especially when two kids come in and hustle,forecheck and are in the slot area for passes

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Per the Dallas board
LOL. They know now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Great, the rookies score and everybody jumps on their bandwagon and bashes Stoll and Penner.

Penner, I thought had been one of the better forwards since the all-star break but I suppose we see things differently.

In any case, I hope the rookies keep it going.
I agree, though on the flip side I think these ake up recalls were long overdue. Penner has looked better since the ASG, but Nolan/King should have been a recall under TM to bench Penner and give him a message. Sutter obviously seen something we didn't. It paid off in the form of three points in four games, as well as a couple of goals.

Quote:
Well, if we are tooting our own horns here....

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...7&postcount=32

Good to see the kids succeeding early. Don't expect it to continue at a top six pace, but one/both should be able to give us depth on the 3rd/4th line. I'd prefer to keep up Nolan of the two, since he will use his size more, but King could do what Penner was supposed to do with Richards, go to the front of the net and try and tip in some goals. Penner hasn't done that much yet.

Now it's time to do some scoreboard watching and see what happens with San Jose/Chicago and a few other Western teams.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:16 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

I didn't get to watch Nolan and King's first game on Saturday as my DVR didn't tape it, but last night was amazing. Richards had TONS of jump and they had so many chances. I thought they were the best line out there all night. I don't think it's a fluke either. These kids don't look to be getting chances by luck, but just skill, grit and hard play. Richards looks like the man we know he can be. Amazing.

That said, the 1st Stars goal was Johnson's fault. If he played the man and not the puck, Ericcson stick wouldn't have been free to just whack the puck in. Kopitar lost his man on the 2nd goal. Quick kept us in it last night when the shots were 20-6.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I just think there are some interest in Penner and the kings are just sitting him out, since he's had several nagging injuries during the season.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote