HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What would YOU do as GM?

Old
02-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
I'd fire the GM. If I made this made poor decisions and left the team as it stands today, I would deserve the pink slip.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I'd fire the GM. If I made this made poor decisions and left the team as it stands today, I would deserve the pink slip.
If there's anything that's not an issue with this team, its Paul Holmgren. He's shown that he's willing to do whatever it takes to field a winning team, and give this team a bright future.

Trading carter for a voracek and couturier is a poor decision? Simmonds schenn and a 2nd for Richards? Both are looking good right about now. The Bryzgalov signing is looking bleak and scary, but homer had no way of knowing that bryz wouldnt be the goalie he was in Phoenix here. Sure he's not the best at managing the cap, but he usually always finds a way to make things work.

So please explain why holmgren is an issue.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Reaper1097

My dream scenerio:

1) Trade Carle @ deadline this season
2) Trade JVR for Luke Schenn @ deadline this season
3) Trade Meszaros or Coburn @ draft this offseason
4) Do not resign Jagr
5) Attempt to trade Briere in the offseason (Highly doubtful)
6) Sign Suter
7) Sign Parise
8) Sign Gaustad
9) Attempt to trade Bob in offseason (see what any offers are)
10) Healthy return of Pronger next season

Resulting lines:

Hartnell-Giroux-Parise
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Briere-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Gaustad-Rinaldo

Pronger-Suter
Timonen-Schenn
Gus or Bourdon-Meszaros or Coburn

Bryzgalov
Bob

Reaper1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:59 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Honestly, I don't think Holmgren should do anything until the off season. It's easy to over react and say blow it up now, but fact is, the year was going to be up and down and that when you have 7 rookies in your lineup at any given time during the year, there's going to be some issues.

The off season gives Holmgren a chance to re-evaluate things. I'm sure the first thing he does is talk to Timonen to get a feel whether he wants to come back for his final season or if he would prefer to go to a contender. Once Kimo makes his decision, then Holmgren can do his bidding from there.

While I don't think Laviolette needs to be fired, I think Holmgren needs to send a message that this team has to tighten up defensively. Maybe firing Kevin McCarthy is the way to go at this point. He's the coach of the defense and it's up to him to ensure that they're ready game in and game out. They've looked very much out of sync and it's clear that the game plan isn't getting through. A new assistant (someone from outside the organization) should be the way to go.

And who ever suggested to trade Giroux needs a slap. He's the one thing that has pretty much kept this team afloat this year. You don't trade a guy like him. You build around him.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Honestly, I don't think Holmgren should do anything until the off season. It's easy to over react and say blow it up now, but fact is, the year was going to be up and down and that when you have 7 rookies in your lineup at any given time during the year, there's going to be some issues.
So if at the dead line Chicago offers us Kaberle like package for Timonen or maybe more. Timonen is under contract next year and will make 3M. Let's say McNeill/Olsen and 1st plus conditional if Hawks wins the cup. Do we trun it down?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:19 AM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
Did you read the thread title? "What would you do as GM?" Your answer, "I'd fire the GM."

Thats gold. /thread

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:

The off season gives Holmgren a chance to re-evaluate things. I'm sure the first thing he does is talk to Timonen to get a feel whether he wants to come back for his final season or if he would prefer to go to a contender. Once Kimo makes his decision, then Holmgren can do his bidding from there.

While I don't think Laviolette needs to be fired, I think Holmgren needs to send a message that this team has to tighten up defensively. Maybe firing Kevin McCarthy is the way to go at this point. He's the coach of the defense and it's up to him to ensure that they're ready game in and game out. They've looked very much out of sync and it's clear that the game plan isn't getting through. A new assistant (someone from outside the organization) should be the way to go.

And who ever suggested to trade Giroux needs a slap. He's the one thing that has pretty much kept this team afloat this year. You don't trade a guy like him. You build around him.
Agree with this post, except, I'd look to move Carle for a 2nd round pick at the deadline. Would also like to add that you have to see where Pronger is at over the summer. I want to believe that he will play again, but you can't move on until you know for certain one way or another.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:40 AM
DUHockey9

Can we please not make this a Homer debate again? We just re-hash all the same issues every 2 months.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
I agree with everything minus one thing: I would be on the phone exploring Carle's value.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:54 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I'd trade a prospect/pick for a big body, net clearing, nasty to play against, hard nosed D man.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I'd trade a prospect/pick for a big body, net clearing, nasty to play against, hard nosed D man.
I bet 30 out of 30 teams have the same request.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:08 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper1097 View Post
My dream scenerio:

1) Trade Carle @ deadline this season
2) Trade JVR for Luke Schenn @ deadline this season
3) Trade Meszaros or Coburn @ draft this offseason
4) Do not resign Jagr
5) Attempt to trade Briere in the offseason (Highly doubtful)
6) Sign Suter
7) Sign Parise
8) Sign Gaustad
9) Attempt to trade Bob in offseason (see what any offers are)
10) Healthy return of Pronger next season

Resulting lines:

Hartnell-Giroux-Parise
Simmonds-Schenn-Voracek
Briere-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Gaustad-Rinaldo

Pronger-Suter
Timonen-Schenn
Gus or Bourdon-Meszaros or Coburn

Bryzgalov
Bob
You forgot to add "get rid of the salary cap" because there is no way that team is fitting under the cap. Parise is making $6 million and is going to get some kind of raise. Suter will be above $5 million (probably more than $6 or $7 million). Voracek is due for a raise, probably will get at least another million, if not more. While that team would be pretty damned good, it's not going to fit under the cap.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:13 AM
boxcar65

Considering he is a rookie who was in the ECHL last year, Bourdon has been playing fairly well. He looked pretty good last night against one of the top teams in the league. He's only going to get better with time. He already is somewhat physical, and that aspect of his game is going to keep improving the longer he is here. All it takes is confidence, and that will continue to build.

boxcar65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If there's anything that's not an issue with this team, its Paul Holmgren.
Oh boy.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
dats81

A capable GM should explore ALL possible options.
In our case:
What does it take to acquire a #1D, if there is one available at all?

What does it take to acquire a big ugly ****er who can clear the crease and stabilize the D for now? Younger candidates with possible intention of resigning with the Flyers preferred....

Can we add a Veteran winger who can play the PK without giving up any roster players?

Does it make sense to move M.Carle instead of letting him walk in the offseason? What would be an offer that we can't refuse, a 2nd + conditional pick? Would anybody be crazy enough to offer a first for him?

And last but not least, the GM should not make any of these decision without the agreement of the head coach.

Last edited by dats81: 02-13-2012 at 09:04 AM.
dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:29 AM
DUHockey9

Bourdon has his rookie mistakes at times, but overall continues to show he might have a place on a bottom pairing in the NHL. The issue is, with the current state of our D corps, he's playing a fairly large role. Both he and Gus are averaging nearly 16 minutes a night. Ideally, we'd only be breaking 1 of these rookies into the NHL, rather than both.

As for what I'd do, I've mentioned my opinion in a number of threads but I guess I'll add it here...

I do NOT make any big moves at all. It's clear this team has it's issues (as I really expected since the summer); but that doesn't mean we aren't talented. If the stars align this team could make noise. That doesn't mean you go mortgaging the future in the slightest however.

I would see what sort of rental D-man I could get for 3rd rounders and marginal prospects (MAB and basically anyone on the Phantoms). Despite what others think, I really do think Hal Gill helps this team and he should cost very little. He will block shots and help the PK (which has been TERRIBLE of late). Gill leads the best PK team in the league in SH/TOI.

The only significant roster piece I'd move is JVR (everyone knows I don't like him), but I think that's unlikely given his concussion. I'm also not convinced these rumblings of us moving a D for real. I'd trade Carle or Mesz or maybe Coburn if the price was right, but I just don't see that happening when we need D so bad ourselves.

In summary, very minor move(s), to marginally improve the D and PK. Don't move any significant pieces at all (read 2nd round or greater). It doesn't make sense to make a splash with a team THIS young, that is having growing pains. We also need further clarity around Pronger (even though it looks like he's done, you really need to be 100% sure before you can go replacing his salary).

Last edited by DUHockey9: 02-13-2012 at 08:48 AM.
DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:38 AM
DumpyD

I'd fix the defense.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Hollywood Couturier

I'd go ride my bike.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:59 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Try to get some dope to cough up a 1st rounder or good prospect + 2nd rounder for Carle at the deadline.

Go for broke on Suter in the offseason

Flip Mezsaros for a pick or prospect.

Use some of those assets from Carle and Mez to go after another D via trade. Someone that can play on the PK and doesnt lose their positioning constantly in their own end

Let Jagr walk.

Re-up Hartsie long term

Maybe flip Bob for some prospects or a valuable 4th line center that can win some draws

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Kaktus*

Suter (off season move), Meszaros, Coburn, Grossman (dead line move), Bourdon

and hopefully we'll get something good for Timonen, Jagr and Carle trades.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I'd go ride my bike.
cruel

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
cruel
Just for clarification I wasn't referencing Homer's accident.

Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Sneekypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
This...The Flyers forwards are very gritty and make teams pay but down low the flyers are a joke physically outside of Mez, but don`t make anyone pay in front of the net.

Sneekypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Icedog2735

I would make minor moves giving up someone like a Sesito or Rinaldo or HarryZ for a comparable 3rd/4th liner who is a solid defensive forward and not just a bruiser ... The major pieces I would move are JVR, Briere, or Carle if I could to get a blue chip D prospect from a team making a Cup run or shut down forward prospect. If I have to throw in Gus or MAB to sweeten the deal I would. Otherwise I am going to stand pat and try my best to get Suter in the offseason.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Try to get some dope to cough up a 1st rounder or good prospect + 2nd rounder for Carle at the deadline.

Go for broke on Suter in the offseason

Flip Mezsaros for a pick or prospect.

Use some of those assets from Carle and Mez to go after another D via trade. Someone that can play on the PK and doesnt lose their positioning constantly in their own end

Let Jagr walk.

Re-up Hartsie long term

Maybe flip Bob for some prospects or a valuable 4th line center that can win some draws
I wouldn't give Hartnell more than 3 years. He is having a great season, but it might also be getting to the point where you wonder about him breaking down.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote