HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The fight in this team is making a winner

Old
02-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The fight in this team is making a winner

I personally think that Torts and Sather have done a great job of getting enough grit on this team to make it a winner. Having guys like Cally,Dubi and Danny G who are skilled players but never shy away from contact has given the Rangers a chip on their shoulder. Guys like Prust and Rupp do the fighting and enough of it to hinder other teams from intimidating the Rangers smaller talented forwards. Guys a player like Stu (I did it all for the ) Bickel has a huge set of balls and his teammates feed off of that. This kid is not a Norris trophy winner but a great stand up teammate that lets no one touch Hank or a smaller Ranger.. he maybe a glimspe into the future with Big Mc coming soon. The Rangers are playing like they are 10 feet tall and it because of the team togetherness and toughness they are enjoying. Great job guys of sticking up for each other even Emminger and Boyle today when guys hit Staal come to his aid. Gotta love it and let's hope it continues.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
I personally think that Torts and Sather have done a great job of getting enough grit on this team to make it a winner. Having guys like Cally,Dubi and Danny G who are skilled players but never shy away from contact has given the Rangers a chip on their shoulder. Guys like Prust and Rupp do the fighting and enough of it to hinder other teams from intimidating the Rangers smaller talented forwards. Guys a player like Stu (I did it all for the ) Bickel has a huge set of balls and his teammates feed off of that. This kid is not a Norris trophy winner but a great stand up teammate that lets no one touch Hank or a smaller Ranger.. he maybe a glimspe into the future with Big Mc coming soon. The Rangers are playing like they are 10 feet tall and it because of the team togetherness and toughness they are enjoying. Great job guys of sticking up for each other even Emminger and Boyle today when guys hit Staal come to his aid. Gotta love it and let's hope it continues.
This team is obviously very close. They play for each other, they play for their coaches and they play for the fans. Nobody on this team wants to let anyone down.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
trilobyte

It's great seeing guys fighting for the right reason. I like the way the Rangers seem to keep gritty guys with character, as opposed to the goofs that a team like the Flyers get in Sestito and Rinaldo. The recipe works for the Rangers because they get guys with character.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:23 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Big reason -- we've kept a designated core together for a while now, and the players in the minors know the system. Callahan. Anisimov. Dubinsky. Girardi. Staal. Lundqvist. Stepan. Sauer. These players developed together, and they know one another quite well. Gaborik, while he is no tough guy, is clearly a tremendous teammate, as is Brad Richards.

There is not one "cancerous" player on this team. Even Wolski is a laugher in the room.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Levitate

I agree in a lot of ways...it's important to have a tough team that can wear down the other team and make them jumpy, and stand up for each other when things get tough. You can often see that when they start hitting hard, they get the momentum back and other teams start making bad passes.

It's also important, IMO, that the Rangers really have teamwide toughness, it's not just a few guys who don't contribute anything but fists and fighting. Rupp was a great signing IMO. He's not exactly a top tier heavyweight who can destroy guys, but he can fight and get the job done, and he plays the game real well for a 4th liner, he just brings a lot and it's not just his fists.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 06:59 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Big reason -- we've kept a designated core together for a while now, and the players in the minors know the system. Callahan. Anisimov. Dubinsky. Girardi. Staal. Lundqvist. Stepan. Sauer. These players developed together, and they know one another quite well. Gaborik, while he is no tough guy, is clearly a tremendous teammate, as is Brad Richards.

There is not one "cancerous" player on this team. Even Wolski is a laugher in the room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I agree in a lot of ways...it's important to have a tough team that can wear down the other team and make them jumpy, and stand up for each other when things get tough. You can often see that when they start hitting hard, they get the momentum back and other teams start making bad passes.

It's also important, IMO, that the Rangers really have teamwide toughness, it's not just a few guys who don't contribute anything but fists and fighting. Rupp was a great signing IMO. He's not exactly a top tier heavyweight who can destroy guys, but he can fight and get the job done, and he plays the game real well for a 4th liner, he just brings a lot and it's not just his fists.
I agree with both of these posts

Im sure some people will disagree but I think thats a big reason why Avery isnt on the team. He may be liked by some guys in the locker room but I think he likes having spot light and is a distraction

Old
02-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

#therightway

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:48 PM
True Blue

I do not think that the "team tough" can be understated. Yes, for team toughness you need a few players that are willing to go toe to toe with anyone. THat is Rupp and Prust. And more or less Bickel. Pound for pound, Prust is about as tough as any in the league. He is truly an example of not the size of the dog in a fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

THis team does not back down to anyone and they are willing to play any game the opposition wants to play. FOr the first time in my memory, we have a team that will play you on the rink or in the parking lot. THey do not care They are not intimidated by anyone and not afraid of anyone.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:05 PM
aemoreira1981

Liking the fight in this team---in the Eastern Conference even more so, you can't be a pushover and expect to advance in this conference.

I also wonder if the decision to get Avery off the team was truly only Torts' decision now, especially since this team has no distractions anymore.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:12 PM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Liking the fight in this team---in the Eastern Conference even more so, you can't be a pushover and expect to advance in this conference.

I also wonder if the decision to get Avery off the team was truly only Torts' decision now, especially since this team has no distractions anymore.
Not sure if it was only his decision but I agree that without him the team has no distractions and its certainly a good thing. Obviously he is a better player than Wolski, Mitchell, and Bickel but I think this team is better off without him. Not saying he wasnt liked in the locker room but how many times did he get into **** before a game, or cause distractions with **** hes said.

Old
02-12-2012, 08:17 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Last year was the essential year to the development of this team. In my mind, it was last year that the leadership core of Staal/Callahan/Dubinsky/Girardi assumed control of that locker room, with Boyle, Prust and Stepan integrated into that group.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:24 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I do not think that the "team tough" can be understated. Yes, for team toughness you need a few players that are willing to go toe to toe with anyone. THat is Rupp and Prust. And more or less Bickel. Pound for pound, Prust is about as tough as any in the league. He is truly an example of not the size of the dog in a fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

THis team does not back down to anyone and they are willing to play any game the opposition wants to play. FOr the first time in my memory, we have a team that will play you on the rink or in the parking lot. THey do not care They are not intimidated by anyone and not afraid of anyone.
Prust and Rupp can also take a regular shift and not look out of place. They're not goons. Having a goon or two does not make a team tough.

02-13-2012, 07:50 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Prust and Rupp can also take a regular shift and not look out of place. They're not goons. Having a goon or two does not make a team tough.
I agree with you. In many ways, this team reminds me of a team from '94. But not the Rangers. This team, and the organization, reminds me of the Devils. They do not need to goon it up with anyone. But they also do not yield an inch on the ice.

The team is built very similarly to that team. And the organizational depth reminds me of that team as well.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

As long as we don't let some weak wraparound shot in.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:02 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

As fan for 40 years now I love the makeup of this years team. Especially the consistently blocked shots, cleared creases and glass rattling hits. Very exciting to watch, especially the physical play.

However, I think as a general rule a team is not as good as they look when they are on a roll, nor as poor as they appear after a losing streak.

That would put NY somewhere closer to the the upper half of the conference rather than on top.

Yes they look fantastic this year. Its been a great run so far. They have the look of confidence and believe they can win even if they fall behind.

They are big enough. They are tough enough, they are certainly fast enough too. Philly isn't in the same ballpark without Pronger available...

Last week I would have said the weak point on this team is its woeful powerplay, but thanks to Philly that doesn't seem to be the case (this week) thanks flyers !

I honestly feel that the road to the finals runs through Pittsburgh and ultimately Boston. The Bruins actually don't scare me as much as the Penguins do. If Pitt is back and healthy they are scary good. Their ability to score on the counter play is not only impressive but must be respected by the rangers d who will quite likely not be able to pinch effectively in a series. So NY will have to power the offense by going once again to the well which so far this year has kept on giving.

Dump it to the corner, race in there and dig it out. Start the cycle and look at throwing the puck into the crease or back out to the point for deflections and shots through screens. With the defensive pairings so far this season I like the possibility on a few of those chances per period in the second season.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:28 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
As fan for 40 years now I love the makeup of this years team. Especially the consistently blocked shots, cleared creases and glass rattling hits. Very exciting to watch, especially the physical play.

However, I think as a general rule a team is not as good as they look when they are on a roll, nor as poor as they appear after a losing streak.

That would put NY somewhere closer to the the upper half of the conference rather than on top.

Yes they look fantastic this year. Its been a great run so far. They have the look of confidence and believe they can win even if they fall behind.

They are big enough. They are tough enough, they are certainly fast enough too. Philly isn't in the same ballpark without Pronger available...

Last week I would have said the weak point on this team is its woeful powerplay, but thanks to Philly that doesn't seem to be the case (this week) thanks flyers !

I honestly feel that the road to the finals runs through Pittsburgh and ultimately Boston. The Bruins actually don't scare me as much as the Penguins do. If Pitt is back and healthy they are scary good. Their ability to score on the counter play is not only impressive but must be respected by the rangers d who will quite likely not be able to pinch effectively in a series. So NY will have to power the offense by going once again to the well which so far this year has kept on giving.

Dump it to the corner, race in there and dig it out. Start the cycle and look at throwing the puck into the crease or back out to the point for deflections and shots through screens. With the defensive pairings so far this season I like the possibility on a few of those chances per period in the second season.
I agree 100% with the bold part. Rangers usually play well against the Bruins and I think the last 2 seasons they won the season series.

Pitt definitely scare me the most out of anyone in the East. Rangers have played well against them too the last 2 seasons but they are playing good hockey right now and with the way that Malkin line is playing they can score on anybody. If they get Crosby back they will be very dangerous.