HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RC "getting it" the way JM never did... OR NOT

Old
02-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Maliki2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Not to sound simplistic, but that is what good coaches do. Get their players to step up their game.

Cunneyworth has a lot to learn. I am pleased to see the Habs not sitting on leads as in the past. They had their foot to the pedal all the way against Toronto. Poor Jacques would not have allowed that.
Agreed this team is day and night from what we saw with Martin. RC is a new coach. We shouldn't be throwing him under the bus. He is getting it done much better than Martin ever has. Which one was the experienced coach again!??!

Last edited by Maliki2: 02-12-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Maliki2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
An idiot could see that the team relied on out of this world goaltending and Cam/Gio scoring big goals.

We were facing like 40+ frigging shots a game and you credit the coach for that? OK, well, we can give Martin credit for the two series wins. But what about the complete obliteration by the Flyers in the 3rd round? Halak looked human and Cam/Gionta couldn't score and low and behold we lost... Completely outclassed in 4 of the 5 games.

Martin gets legendary status around here for some reason.
Martin deserves none of it. Halak was the main reason we go to the third round. Cammi and Gio helped but Halak WAS the one and only reason. One needs to watch the highlight saves that Halak made to see this. Anyone else that thinks that Martins coaching was doing it for us needs to have their heads checked.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:40 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Martin figured out that Gill would shot down Crosby, thats pretty good
gill "Shot" down crosby ? no wonder hes been away for so long,god damn media feeding us concussion excuses

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:45 PM
JohnLennon

I fully support the idea of playing the players who deserve to be played based off their effort. Playing veterans is not necessarily a bad thing because they have the experience with them to help in many situations, but if a certain veteran is not playing well, why play him over a younger guy who is spilling his heart out on the ice? I like many decisions Cunneyworth has made with this team.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:42 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I liked JM imposing a defensive system to the players, the hard way. If you compare our defensive game in the JM era, moved then into the RC era to the way they were playing before, there is no comparison. I still remember Kovalev floating at the opposing blue line waiting for the break out pass. And the complete lack of defensive awareness of some guys back then, including AK46.

JM hammered defensive awareness into our forwards. The "all 5 guys in the picture" rule that Cammaleri openly disagreed with in an interview.

RC is a good coach for sure. Game awareness, good communication skills, quickly adapting. However, the style of play that got us the last few victories would probably not win us much in the Playoffs. I still want to see from his team a big comeback from a 2-3 goal deficit or the team holding on a 1 goal lead for the third period - cause this is what you need when the games really count.
that's an interesting theory, the habs certainly don't have any defensive liability other than dd and even he is getting better and better every game. and AK's defensive game now is night and day what it used to be

if martin's legacy is that every player on the roster knows how to play the defensive side of the game, then it was worth it. you can teach defense, but you can't teach offense

anyways, i like RC even though he still lots of wtf moments

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:18 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I guess Hitchcock has Martin to thank too, huh? You Martin fanboys are ridiculous.

Martin employed the most passive system I have ever seen. Our goalies faced 30+ shots a night and the team played in their own end the entire game and you are celebrating this garbage?
you should look at numbers before typing anything, cause you sure do sound like a RC fanboy...

I know, I know, RC cant do no wrong... greatest coach ever!!

and how many shots do you think Price faced in his last 3 games ?
(and since RC has replaced JM ?)

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:20 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Agreed this team is day and night from what we saw with Martin. RC is a new coach. We shouldn't be throwing him under the bus. He is getting it done much better than Martin ever has. Which one was the experienced coach again!??!
difference being that with JM, we were in the PO picture all the time he was here...

how's RC doing on that front ?

Old
02-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

This thread would come out sooner or later, once Habs get into a good streak. Not taking anything away from RC but a monkey piloting a team would one day benefit from a winning streak too. Typical Habs fan jumping the gun again.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:40 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
This thread would come out sooner or later, once Habs get into a good streak. Not taking anything away from RC but a monkey piloting a team would one day benefit from a winning streak too. Typical Habs fan jumping the gun again.
pretty much, I mean... EVERY single team get a 4 or 5 game winning streak at one point in a 82 games season...

well, except for CLB maybe.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:02 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
pretty much, I mean... EVERY single team get a 4 or 5 game winning streak at one point in a 82 games season...

well, except for CLB maybe.
they got the wrong kinds of streaks

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:07 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

I too think the thread is uncalled for. Cunney was rather terrible and I don't know if the streak is hiding it or what.

I'm happy Martin's gone. Playing and losing 1-0 games at home is unacceptable. At least with a blowout loss you know it's statistically possible and you just move one, with those boring losses it was just Martin's system beating itself. And you could blame it on anything and everything, but it was god damned terrible to watch.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:48 AM
BobbyFischer*

We're certainly getting our Cunney's worth lately, eh fellas... amirite????

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Cunneyworth also knows how to work with young players. Martin did not know how to adapt from his old school style of coaching.
this is absolutely correct. Look at how garbage players like Desharnais, Subban, Price and Pacioretty fared under him. Imagine if Martin didn't ruin those guys. This is the worst excuse ever. Martin developed more young talent in 2 years than any previous coach had done in the last 20.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:39 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
you should look at numbers before typing anything, cause you sure do sound like a RC fanboy...

I'm talking about the PLAYOFFS! Halak faced 40+ shots several times in the playoffs and stood on his head. He carried the team through those 2 rounds. If you think Martin had anything to do with the Habs success during those playoffs, you either don't watch hockey or you're an unwavering fanboy. Pick one.

And isn't it fitting that you excluded the 23 shots Price faced against Winnipeg? Or the 22, 23 that he faced against Jersey and Washington? Your agenda is clear as day.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:42 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
this is absolutely correct. Look at how garbage players like Desharnais, Subban, Price and Pacioretty fared under him. Imagine if Martin didn't ruin those guys. This is the worst excuse ever. Martin developed more young talent in 2 years than any previous coach had done in the last 20.
Sergei, O'Byrne, Latendresse, Lapierre, Pouillot, Emelin, Boyd, Dagostini, etc... Yea, Martin's a player development genius.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:44 AM
Corncob

Quote:
If you think Martin had anything to do with the Habs success during those playoffs, you either don't watch hockey or you're an unwavering fanboy. Pick one.
Yeah you'd have to 'not watch hockey' to think that a head coach had any influence on his teams success

Wait you were serious? I understand that sometimes coaches get too much credit for success and too much blame for failure (nature of the beast) but you actually think that teams win or lose play off series and it has nothing at all to do with the coach?

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:48 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
I'm talking about the PLAYOFFS! Halak faced 40+ shots several times in the playoffs and stood on his head. He carried the team through those 2 rounds. If you think Martin had anything to do with the Habs success during those playoffs, you either don't watch hockey or you're an unwavering fanboy. Pick one.

And isn't it fitting that you excluded the 23 shots Price faced against Winnipeg? Or the 22, 23 that he faced against Jersey and Washington? Your agenda is clear as day.
Not in the post I quoted. Learn how to read.

But since you like to post BS "facts", I'll help you out a little.

Of all the PO games Halak played in the 09/10 season, only in 3 of the 18 he faced 40 shots or more... not once he faced 40 shots in the Pittsburgh serie... and in the Philadelphia serie he didnt even faced 30 shots once... in 9 of the 18 games he faced less than 30 shots... and out of the (only) 3 games he faced over 40 shots, one went into OT...

so, clearly YOU ARE the one not watching hockey. hater.

no more than you excluding the 39 against Buffalo or the 34 against Florida or the 35 vs Ottawa...

actually it's yours that is clear as day, and it's simple as this : Everything JM did was wrong and Connie cant do any wrong as he's the best coach ever

Old
02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Sergei, O'Byrne, Latendresse, Lapierre, Pouillot, Emelin, Boyd, Dagostini, etc... Yea, Martin's a player development genius.
Boyd... lol

Old
02-13-2012, 07:56 AM
habdynasty

The Martin Fan club is here, is his career over?
( love thread ignore going going gone !

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:58 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

under Connie this season Price faced 30+ shots half the games he played (10/20)...

before him, in the same season under JM, Price faced 30+ shots in half the games he played (14/29)...

so yeah, obviously...

Old
02-13-2012, 08:08 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Yeah okay. When you begin to make sense, I guess we can start paying attnetion to what you are saying.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:09 AM
onice

Quote:
Yup, now that he dropped the 2 man forecheck at all time to a system closer to what JM used we look WAY better...
I really don't know what games you're watching but Cunneyworth does not have a one-size-fits-all system. He changes it up depending on the circumstances. I've seen plenty of two man forecheck and Martins' 5 skaters on the blue line system all in the same game. Sometimes in back to back shifts the players change the checking style.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
HCH

Quote:

Why the love affair for Martin? He isn't the coach of the team nor should he be. Has anyone checked his record since he left that Ottawa team that was oozing with talent, the same team that consistently fell short of expectations.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Why the love affair for Martin? He isn't the coach of the team nor should he be. Has anyone checked his record since he left that Ottawa team that was oozing with talent, the same team that consistently fell short of expectations.
I agree, the Sens never made the Stanley Cup final until they fired his sorry ass. Every year Quinn's less talented Leafs would eliminate the Sens.

So how come the great Martin coach is still not coaching? Because everyone knows that Muller was the brains behind the Habs success, once Muller was gone, this team floundered.

Stop giving Martin credit when Muller deserved it, only reason Martin's team won was because of their PP, which is what Muller was responsible for.

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:11 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
wow, pretty solid strategy:

In 4 wins vs Washington, Halak saves:
47, 38, 54, 42

In 3 losses vs Washington, Halak saves:
37(OTL), 13/21(split with price), 32(price)

In 4 wins vs Pitt, Halak saves:
39, 35, 39, 35

In 3 loses vs Pitt, Halak saves:
20, 24, 25

yeah, fantastic "out coaching"... Ok guys, let them bombard us with shots, if our goalie makes 35+ saves/night, we'll have them right were we want them!"

Too bad Halak didn't get the memo in the philly series

to be fair, they obviously let them (pens/caps) shoot from the outside. I think it was a pretty clear strategy ; goalie makes the 1rst save, and the Ds have to be good to clear the front of the net.

There were some magic saves from up close, but every game he had 25+ perimeter shots. So the total shots is increased imensely by that. Martin derserves credit for that ; He knew the caps and pens were going to try and run us over ... and he dictated where the action was going to come from and built a strategy around it ... and Made the entire locker room buy his idea with determination . He played some interesting line match-ups too.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote