HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres' Adam learning how to deal with failure

Old
02-13-2012, 06:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Sabres' Adam learning how to deal with failure

http://wgr550.com/Sabres--Adam-Learn...ilure/12255453

Quote:
For the first time in his career, Buffalo Sabres' rookie Luke Adam experienced failure.

He was sent down to the minor league Rochester Americans Saturday after failing to score in his last 20 games with Buffalo.

“It was a bit of a shock,” he said after Rochester's 4-1 loss to the San Antonio Rampage. “I didn't see it coming.”

He played like someone in shock on Saturday night. Adam only registered only two shots and took two penalties, both of which San Antonio scored on. Coach Ron Rolston said the 21-year-old center played “an average game.”
Quote:
“Ice time in hockey is not something you are given,” Adam said quietly, looking down at the three or four microphones below him. “It's not something that's owed to you. Nothing is owed to you in this game. I had to earn it. Obviously (coach Lindy Ruff) didn't like the way things were going.”
Quote:
Before packing up his gear in Buffalo, Adam talked with Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff.

“They just told me they wanted me to play,” he said. “I wasn't playing very many minutes up there, I had kind of been struggling on the score sheet, so he said he wanted me to come down here and play the power play that I'm used to playing and play the big minutes I'm used to playing.”

Why did he lose those minutes? Did Ruff explain why he was relegated to the fourth line?

“No,” he said under his breath.

Ruff wouldn't say either. All the Sabres' coach would let on was if Adam performed in Rochester, he would be back in Buffalo soon. “It's up to him,” Ruff said before Saturday night's loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning
So they tell him he's getting sent down to play. If he plays well, he will get called back up. But if there's no room for him in the lineup, what gives?

And the article ends with some opinions from Coller:

Quote:
The American Hockey League – just one step below the NHL – didn't offer the type of challenge for Adam as it does most second-round picks. Adam was named AHL Rookie of the Year after scoring 62 points in 57 games. During the 2010-11, he was given a sniff of the NHL. He played in 19 games, scoring four points.

Because of an injury to Jochen Hecht and Derek Roy's lack of chemistry with Pominville and Vanek, Ruff tapped Adam on the back to begin 2011-12 to center the two star veterans.

It seemed odd at the time. The Sabres had just signed Villie Leino to an enormous contract and dubbed the big-money forward their new solution at center. They had failed to move Roy in the off-season for a more capable two-way center and Adam hadn't shown much in his 19 games. In a way, it was disappointing that a team that had spent to the cap would have to start a rookie at No. 1 center.

But Adam eased skepticism. He scored six points in his first four games and 10 in his first nine with the Sabres. He was clicking with Vanek and Pominville. After one month he was looking
like the Sabres' version of Steven Stamkos or Jeff Skinner.

Then the Cloud Nine evaporated. Whether it was the “rookie wall,” or complacency, attitude or simply poor play, is hard to tell.

Whatever the reason, the 21-year-old is learning failure. It's an important crossroads. Scouts say it can make or break a player. If he comes to terms and is motivated by it, he'll succeed. If not, he'll fail.

Adam has nearly a whole week to think about his first failure. We'll learn much more about whether he's learning the language or not on Friday night when the Americans play again at home.
--------------------------

Anyways - anything to dissect here? A little harsh with the overusage of "failure" IMO. What do you think?

I don't recall reading much written by Matthew Coller, either.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:49 AM
slip

Holy hyperbole. One minute Adam is the next Stamkos, the next minute he's a FAILURE.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:51 AM
HiddenInLight

Sounds like he's been left in the dark as much as we have when it comes to ice time....doesn't seem too happy with ruff...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:52 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Holy hyperbole. One minute Adam is the next Stamkos, the next minute he's a FAILURE.
He definitely tries to paint the Ruff/Adam convo in an interesting light…

Old
02-13-2012, 06:53 AM
heartsabres*

Really who cares. He is a prospect on the bubble. If he can't contribute to the sabres then send him back down. There are 20 other guys waiting for his spot. Maybe he puts it together maybe he doesn't. Until then buy-bye.

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:53 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

One thing that's right is the notion of testing his mental strength here. If this breaks him, we know we are looking at another headcase mental midget. He needs to go to Rochester for the first time and play damn well. No sulking and pouting, Kassian style.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:02 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Sounds like he's been left in the dark as much as we have when it comes to ice time....doesn't seem too happy with ruff...
Adam has no right to be upset with anyone but himself. If he can't figure out why he's being sent down -- I mean, no goals in 20 games when you're suppose to be creating offense is pretty clear cut -- then he most definitely needs to be sent down to get his head straight and his game in order.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
“It was a bit of a shock,” he said after Rochester's 4-1 loss to the San Antonio Rampage. “I didn't see it coming.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coller
Whether it was the “rookie wall,” or complacency, attitude or simply poor play, is hard to tell.
Do these guys have goose brains? What about "sent down to the minor league Rochester Americans Saturday after failing to score in his last 20 games" is so complicated?

-Team needs offense
-Rookie without strong defensive responsibility or physical presence isn't creating it
-Rookie goes back to minors

How unusual.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

To be honest, I don't think Adam was actually playing poorly, which might be why he's "surprised."

He wasn't a negative. He didn't have costly turnovers or penalties that led to opportunities for the other team, and he didn't look out of place on the fourth line.

I could see him starting to build a comfort level with his game there, and Ruff sending him back to Rochester to remind him what being a scorer is like.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Jame
Dream '16

while he definitely deserved to be sent down... it's still surprising he was never given another shot with vanek and pommer, where he did most of his scoring, and we looked like a decent team...

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

I've made this comparison before: Luke Adam reminds me of another Adam (Creighton).

He lacks top end speed, seems lost at times away from the puck, and doesn't finish on his scoring chances.

Luke needs to play with Gerbe-like abandon to contibute in the NHL.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:35 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Do these guys have goose brains? What about "sent down to the minor league Rochester Americans Saturday after failing to score in his last 20 games" is so complicated?

-Team needs offense
-Rookie without strong defensive responsibility or physical presence isn't creating it
-Rookie goes back to minors

How unusual.
This sums it up quite well. Produce, or get sent back.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:40 AM
OcAirlines

cardiffgiant, htsportplaya and Jame pretty much summed it up

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
DuklaNation

Adam wants to know why? He was -4 in one game and it was over after that.

DuklaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Adam has no right to be upset with anyone but himself. If he can't figure out why he's being sent down -- I mean, no goals in 20 games when you're suppose to be creating offense is pretty clear cut -- then he most definitely needs to be sent down to get his head straight and his game in order.
I'm in that boat too -- outside of a few games with Kassian and Leino, he's been average to downright poor since before Thanksgiving. Don't score, don't shoot, don't play good defense, don't hit, and don't win faceoffs? And he's surprised?

02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
while he definitely deserved to be sent down... it's still surprising he was never given another shot with vanek and pommer, where he did most of his scoring, and we looked like a decent team...
Because ice time and linemates are a reward with Ruff. We can't just throw Adam on the top line and give him more ice time when he didn't deserve it! He needs to play his way back there!

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:31 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm in that boat too -- outside of a few games with Kassian and Leino, he's been average to downright poor since before Thanksgiving. Don't score, don't shoot, don't play good defense, don't hit, and don't win faceoffs? And he's surprised?
I'm surprised that it took this long for him to be sent down, but I'm more surprised that anyone would be... surprised. I was concerned with his play, but it's almost of more concern that he has no clue.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
I'm surprised that it took this long for him to be sent down, but I'm more surprised that anyone would be... surprised. I was concerned with his play, but it's almost of more concern that he has no clue.
Agreed. And considering his Dad played as a pro, it's not like this is something new. A rookie, playing badly in limited minutes on a team that wants to make a last-minute playoff push? He should be pleased he's getting a chance to actually play somewhere and make himself better.

Someone tell him to call the Rock and see what the old man has to say.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
LHJMQFAN

One thing I have learned about sport journalists is that they are c*** suckers and they give their opinion over reporting the facts. In Buffalo there are three stooges writing and talking about hockey... bet you they never skated in their entire lives!!! Young players and players in general should never read what they have to say because they love to put down a guy they flattered just months before... as if another guy's failure makes them better... I think NOT!

LHJMQFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
ontariosabresfan

This was long overdue. Get the kid some minutes.

ontariosabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:54 AM
JPurp26

Adam needs to fix a lot of things before he sniffs the NHL again.

He is soft, never finishes his checks and his skating is only mediocre. The one thing hes got going is his shot which is very good. He really needs to work hard to be top 6 guy in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam is moved at the deadline in part of a trade.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:21 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post

He is soft, never finishes his checks and his skating is only mediocre. The one thing hes got going is his shot which is very good. He really needs to work hard to be top 6 guy in the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised if Adam is moved at the deadline in part of a trade.
I would be surprised if Luke gets dealt at the deadline because I don't see a deal being out there at the deadline that he gets tossed into.

Now if we're in the offseason and there is a Regehr-esque deal for a center coming to Buffalo, then I can see Adam being the Butler equivalent in a deal like that one. I just don't see that type of deal happening at the trade deadline.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post

Exactly. Adam was very far from developed, but our lack at center thought we could use him after the Traverse Tournament where he was MVP. He needed to go to Rochester after that and work on some flaws. He doesn't have the hands to create on his own, he's a big body that doesn't hit.

Long overdue.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm there too...

He's a talented player. He'll get his game back. I have no reason to think he won't. But for now, Adam needs to get his head straight and make it impossible for the Sabres to ignore him.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Clock

Sounds like the kid still has much to learn.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote