HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to honor "The Captain": Mark Messier

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2006, 12:36 PM
charliemurphy

vCash: 500
I got chills at the start of the ceremony when the Rangers were in the hallway waiting for him to come out. U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" in the background was a great touch. Great ceremony but no tears. Great speech by Graves, Leetch, Richter and Messier as well.
I do think I'll lose it when #2 gets raised, lol.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Trottier
Very Random

A great celebration worthy of its subject.

These may seem like silly observations, but nonetheless:

Isn't it refreshing to see to (ex)professional athletes who are articulate, passionate and respectful of both the game they played and each other? Listening to Richter, Leetch, Graves and #11 last night, each of those attributes were on display. That is why I love this sport, as much as anything else.

Being an NYI fan from the 80s, Mark Messier's career has intersected with my following of the sport for a lonnnnnng time. I'll leave it to others to rate him alltime in meaningless polls, etc. What I'll remember is his uniqueness. He played the game the way you wanted to as a kid. Fearlessly. Personally, I like my hockey players with supreme skills and a lot of bite. In my time at least, few, if any combined both attributes at the level that #11 did.

Finally, passion. It was on display last night. But to me, the most memorable words of the night, delivered by Richter (I believe) were his recalling the genuine enthusiasm that Messier displayed in the achievements of his peers. How many times did you see #11 bubbling after a teammate scored a goal? I recall that vividly, a seemingly infinite amount of times. That, to me, says a ton about the guy.

He loved what he did and was great at it. Can't beat that.

Old
01-13-2006, 01:51 PM
94now

I didn't believe him when he sad he is comfortable with retirement. He is not. He made an impression of someone who is forced out. He should have played another year or two being in much better shape than Howe, not on this team, for sure, but may be somewhere else... The King has been dethroned... My hart goes to you, Mark.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:04 PM
GUYMAN

Thanks Mess

What a great night. If only Leetch had been there in person. Just watching on TV I was totally choked up. Like S.Rosen said what Mess and the '94 team did truly will last a lifetime. I went to the 1st two rounds of the playoffs during that run, incredible. And the parade of course. I always tell me friends the only bad thing about it is no sports moment will ever be able to top that for me.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
AXN

Kind of makes you wonder when they will win another cup. The last one was not easy. It took seven games and they started to use touchup icing.

Old
01-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now
I didn't believe him when he sad he is comfortable with retirement. He is not.
That's interesting. I have the same impression. Understandably, some fans were ready to turn the page and felt that #11 should have hung them up when he did, if not sooner. And a few attributed narcissistic reasons for his continuing to play on, such as self-pride and money.

I never did. Perhaps some of that, indeed, came into play. But I always felt that the guy kept playing simply because he loved what he did. He loved the game. Getting on the ice.

Very hard to walk away from something one is so passionate about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUYMAN
I went to the 1st two rounds of the playoffs during that run, incredible. And the parade of course. I always tell me friends the only bad thing about it is no sports moment will ever be able to top that for me.
I have been an NYI fan for decades, always will be. But my most memorable in-person hockey experience will forever be witnessing Game Seven live at MSG in June '04. Living in Manhattan at the time and being a hockey fan first and foremost, shared a pair of NYR season tickets with a friend during that time period, alternating games.

Game Seven was my turn.

Last edited by Trottier: 01-13-2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck57
Any thoughts and will Gretz's #99 be retired in MSG anytime soon you think?
I think since nobody is allowed to wear #99 because it's been retired from the entire league, Gretzky's jersey should hang in every single arena in the NHL.

Old
01-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
That's interesting. I have the same impression. Understandably, some fans were ready to turn the page and felt that #11 should have hung them up when he did, if not sooner. And a few attributed narcissistic reasons for his continuing to play on, such as self-pride and money.

I never did. Perhaps some of that, indeed, came into play. But I always felt that the guy kept playing simply because he loved what he did. He loved the game. Getting on the ice.

Very hard to walk away from something one is so passionate about.
That's what always bothered me about certain comments. I don't think I've ever seen anyone who enjoyed playing the sport as much as Messier. He truly loved getting out there on the ice.

Not everyone was going to get along with him, and that's natural when someone is a take charge leader. But no one could deny that the man LOVED the sport.

Old
01-13-2006, 08:03 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Amazing night. The best part was Deyna Reeves and Mark's entrance. I thought it was a brilliant idea to have him walk out, greet the boys, and walk on in like he always did. Raising the cub again got the loudest ovation. Love you Mark...forever

Old
01-14-2006, 05:44 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Yes!! I finally got to watch it, thanks to a poster on the board that mentioned another message board. Amazing night I wish I was there, I ran out of tears by the end of the ceremony. My girlfriend saw me and asked what was wrong and I told her "I've been tearing up for the last hour or so" and then preceded to explain that tearing up at a sport retirement is one of the few times a man is allowed to.

I have to agree with another poster on here, I loved it but I would NOT have brought the cup back. Don't hockey players have an "unspoken" rule not to touch it unless you've just won it? I donno seemed a bit odd.

Really wish Leetchie could have been there, was great to see Beuk again though, wow I miss that guy, Kovy's ovation did surpise me didn't expect that warm of a welcome......and Gilbert looked like he still wanted to play, all playing to the crowd and such....

Anyways it was an amazing show, props to MSG for that.....when we find out that Leetch's number is going up I'll be buying a ticket from cali to NY to see that for sure......after that all we need is Gravey.................and Ulfie Why? He's Ulfie hehehehehehe

Old
01-15-2006, 12:17 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
It was total BS that they never released tickets to teh public, even in the season ticketholder presale.
That isn't true. A woman who sits two rows in front of me was able to score an extra pair in 427 during the season-ticket holder pre-sale.

Old
01-15-2006, 12:54 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg
That isn't true. A woman who sits two rows in front of me was able to score an extra pair in 427 during the season-ticket holder pre-sale.
I actually saw a nice sign from section 427 sticking from your railing

Old
01-15-2006, 04:26 PM
patnyrnyg

I do not sit in 427. That is where she was able to pick up an extra pair for her nephews.

Closed Thread