HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Callahan comparable to Adam Graves?

Old
02-12-2012, 09:43 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Callahan is an instance of where attaining Captaincy has raised his level of play. He's on another level this year than prior. He's got that swag.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
nyrfan1026

I'm just going to say that its been an honor watching Callahan blossom into the player he's becoming today. I was at one of his first games (might have been his first honestly), that one St. Patty's Day at MSG vs Boston. Made an immediate impression with a rigorous fore-check and two goals that were the direct result of some ridiculous work ethic.

I was there for his first playoff goal vs ATL in Game 3 (also a two goal-performance). Took an immediate liking to the kid. Many Rangers fans thought he would be no more then a 3rd line grinder. I'm sure we all remember those days.

Thats when Chris Drury came along and showed the kid what it took to become a winner. Many Rangers fans despise the guy but Callahan, nor Dubi, would be half the players they've become without playing beside Dru, albeit on his last legs.

Coach Tortorella deserves some major credit as well; Callahan's exact style of play is what Torts is looking for out of his group and has provided him the perfect opportunity to step and be the guy that his teammates can look across the locker room and ask themselves if they are working as hard as that guy.

Its been quite the ride, between his call-ups, demotions back to the A, and struggles, but he exemplifies what it means to a New York Ranger, and I couldn't be more damn pride. I was gushing with pride yesterday as I forced my roomates to watch the game yesterday and they were all impressed.

Sorry for the poor quality of this video, (and I'm not quite sure how to add a YT in a post) but this was the goal that started it all. I was there also, jaw-wide open as I saw this unfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiZHnKZ71A

Last edited by nyrfan1026: 02-12-2012 at 10:33 PM.
nyrfan1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
I agree. People forget just how tough Gravey was. I do not recall seeing him loose a fight. And until his back was acting up, he was a prototypical power forward. He was the bodyguard to Mess. And everyone knew it. I like Callahan But I am not sure that he will ever be the power forward that Graves was. Which does not mean that he does not do things to stand out in his own right.
Think this is spot on. They both play/played the game the right way and share admirable qualities but Graves was a power forward and answered the bell for Mess or Leetch. Cally leads by example and is a great captain.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:45 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I see similarities.
Agreed.

But Cally is also unique enough for players to start being compared to him. The Rangers scored a huge coup with this kid.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan1026 View Post
I'm just going to say that its been an honor watching Callahan blossom into the player he's becoming today. I was at one of his first games (might have been his first honestly), that one St. Patty's Day at MSG vs Boston. Made an immediate impression with a rigorous fore-check and two goals that were the direct result of some ridiculous work ethic.

I was there for his first playoff goal vs ATL in Game 3 (also a two goal-performance). Took an immediate liking to the kid. Many Rangers fans thought he would be no more then a 3rd line grinder. I'm sure we all remember those days.

Thats when Chris Drury came along and showed the kid what it took to become a winner. Many Rangers fans despise the guy but Callahan, nor Dubi, would be half the players they've become without playing beside Dru, albeit on his last legs.

Coach Tortorella deserves some major credit as well; Callahan's exact style of play is what Torts is looking for out of his group and has provided him the perfect opportunity to step and be the guy that his teammates can look across the locker room and ask themselves if they are working as hard as that guy.

Its been quite the ride, between his call-ups, demotions back to the A, and struggles, but he exemplifies what it means to a New York Ranger, and I couldn't be more damn pride. I was gushing with pride yesterday as I forced my roomates to watch the game yesterday and they were all impressed.

Sorry for the poor quality of this video, (and I'm not quite sure how to add a YT in a post) but this was the goal that started it all. I was there also, jaw-wide open as I saw this unfold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiZHnKZ71A
Showed him leadership, however Cally's game has been the same since day one, see my other quote what Richie said about him...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Crease

He reminds me more of Ryan Smyth.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
TheRedressor

I think Dubinsky has a tool set more like Graves in terms of size and style of play, just has nowhere near the consistency of an Adam Graves. Dubinsky (when he used to score goals LOL) would score from the same areas, protect the puck similarly on the forecheck and also stick up for teammates in the same manner.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:15 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Cally is 10x the skater Gravy was. He's also got a better set of hands. Tenacity heart, soul, and willingness to sacrifice their body, they're the same. Because of his better skill and hence the ability to get it done on the ice, I've got to give it to Cally as the better leader. Graves was really a protector who became a goal scorer by chipping pucks in from around the net. Graves and Prust are a better comparison then Graves and Cally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
I think Dubinsky has a tool set more like Graves in terms of size and style of play, just has nowhere near the consistency of an Adam Graves. Dubinsky (when he used to score goals LOL) would score from the same areas, protect the puck similarly on the forecheck and also stick up for teammates in the same manner.
agreed, better comparable then Prust even.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
NYRKindms

Messier = Hank

All we need is Hank to use the lumber a little more like at the beginning of the season and the comparison is complete.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Wolf View Post
Pierre and Edddie Olcyk brought up a point today during the Caps game. Pierre asked if Callahan reminded Eddie ( I refuse to use his nickname ) of Adam Graves. Eddie responded "Well..from the outside I can see it."

He went on to elaborate a bit later ( I'm paraphrasing ) "You have a different perspective on these guys having been in the locker room with them. Adam Graves was really good with the other players.."

Is he insinuating Callahan is not as vocal, or did he simply mean that since he played with Graves...he thought he was the better leader? Either way, I felt it was a slight to Callahan simply because the Black Ace himself never played with him. Anyone else pick up on that?

Furthermore, do you feel the comparison is accurate?
He expanded on this even further by saying unless you're in the locker room you don't get the full measure of a player as a Captain, he meant no disrespect to Cally.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Bardof425*

cally's a better player. Gravey was a better goal scorer and fighter. Both heart and soul guys with huge balls. Comparable, but Cally is the better player IMHO.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Richter915

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Exactly. Cally is a step up from graves.

Richter915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

A little OT, but Cally is only two goals away from hitting 100! Hoping it's at the Garden!
Although two against the Bruins won't hurt.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Great stat from Jody Mac this morning Rangers are 23-0-3 in the last 26 games Cally scored...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Well I revere both men as Gods, that's something they have in common

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:59 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Graves was a beast in front of the net on the PP until his back went bad.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:22 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter915 View Post
With all due respect, can I ask how old you are? They playing style was somewhat different, but Graves was an absolute monster when it came tiem to playing in front of other team's goalies. And that was in an era when regular hacks, whacks and cross checks from opposing defensemen was the norm. If you had not watched him regularly, you would forget how good he was.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richter915 View Post
Blasphemy.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:01 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
With all due respect, can I ask how old you are? They playing style was somewhat different, but Graves was an absolute monster when it came tiem to playing in front of other team's goalies. And that was in an era when regular hacks, whacks and cross checks from opposing defensemen was the norm. If you had not watched him regularly, you would forget how good he was.
Great post. Graves was unbelievable in front of the net. He was a monster at finding rebounds and popping them in all while getting mugged by the dman. You aint kidding about parking in front back then. Dmen would do pretty much anything they wanted to guys in front. Forwards were constantly getting knocked down and cross checked. Pretty much the reason why Graves didnt last longer. The helmet over the eyes was my favorite. Now if a dman pushes the forward too hard when hes in front its a penalty

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Edge

It's hard to make the comparison because just as Graves was hitting his stride, he hurt his back and was never the same player.

A healthy Graves was probably a consistent 40 goal, 100 pim player. I don't see a healthy Callahan quite on that same level.

Personally, for me, Callahan resembles a prime Mike Peca.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote