HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Kids and full sized goals?

Old
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Kids and full sized goals?

Can someone please explain to me why kids, specifically kids under 8, are playing with full sized goals, especially if they are playing half or cross ice? It makes no sense to me that kids that size should be playing with goals that adults play with.

Of course, this comes from a goalie who's son also plays goal, but even other parents make similar comments.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:45 AM
sanityplease

Doesn't the kids lack of ability/strength make up for it somewhat? Just watched a 7-8 year old game on Sunday, it's not like they're shoot laser beams from the point or anything. The winning goalie had pretty good lateral movement & covered the bottom of the net well, he/she only let in 1 goal. Don't think that any of the 5 goals scored that game were more than 1' off of the ice. If the nets were much smaller, you'd probably see a lot of non-scoring/soccer like games.

I don't really see the issue.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:50 AM
goalie29

It's probably a cost issue. And storage. Plus - is it necessary?

Though as a 5'2" goalie, I've often said that instead of tailoring gear rules to the height of the goalie, they should have smaller nets for us shorties!

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:51 AM
vyktor

Our Cross ice program uses goals that are 3' high 4' wide, as recommended by USA hockey. Maybe your rink/program or what ever is too cheap/ doesn't have the money to get them.

It is actually a huge problem when the goalies start wearing pads, if they can butterfly at all it is near impossible for a lot of kids to score, or they just lay down.

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyktor View Post
It is actually a huge problem when the goalies start wearing pads, if they can butterfly at all it is near impossible for a lot of kids to score, or they just lay down.
I was not aware that goalies ever don't wear pads. When my son was in IP they rotated goalies (all wearing pads fwiw) around the team, so the lack of skill on the goalie side offset the lack of skill on the skater side and the size of the net really wasn't an issue.

Purely anecdotally (and as a result maybe not true!), it seems that kids today can lift the puck from an earlier age than when I was a kid (the sticks perhaps). If the large nets result in more goals that's not such a bad thing.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goalie29 View Post
It's probably a cost issue. And storage.
This would be my guess also.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
Doesn't the kids lack of ability/strength make up for it somewhat? Just watched a 7-8 year old game on Sunday, it's not like they're shoot laser beams from the point or anything. The winning goalie had pretty good lateral movement & covered the bottom of the net well, he/she only let in 1 goal. Don't think that any of the 5 goals scored that game were more than 1' off of the ice. If the nets were much smaller, you'd probably see a lot of non-scoring/soccer like games.

I don't really see the issue.

Relatively speaking it does looks more like a soccer goal than a hockey goal. Even if he lies down he wouldn't cover the entire goal and asking a 6 year old to cover a 6' wide goal is too much IMO. Virtually every other sport uses smaller goals, fields, etc for kids this age. It seems to me that hockey should as well.

No, kids aren't shooting laser beams from the point, but most 5, 6 and 7 year olds don't have the lateral skating ability to get from post to post for even ths softest of shots either. It's all relative.

As for your soccer analogy, I've watched my son play soccer on little goals for the past 2 years and there are plenty of goals scored.

Vyktor, I was talking with one of the coaches and he said that full sized goals are used everywhere in the area. My rink does have smaller goals, but they are using the full sized ones like the other rinks.

Anyway, I know I come from the goalie's perspective and I wouldn't expect position players to sympathize.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 02-13-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old
02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I was not aware that goalies ever don't wear pads. When my son was in IP they rotated goalies (all wearing pads fwiw) around the team, so the lack of skill on the goalie side offset the lack of skill on the skater side and the size of the net really wasn't an issue.

Purely anecdotally (and as a result maybe not true!), it seems that kids today can lift the puck from an earlier age than when I was a kid (the sticks perhaps). If the large nets result in more goals that's not such a bad thing.
Most house leagues here in Western PA just rotate a kid usually with a goal stick (though sometimes without) at least until they get to mite major which is mainly 7-8 year olds, same with some of the Mite Minor Jamborees. it actually gets pretty dicey when some of theses kids start to really fire them and the "goalies" are unprotected.

IMO a 4x3 net is too small for padded goalies that are 7-8 yo though.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

For league that use smaller sized nets, do they actually drill holes and put pegs in for these nets or do they just rest on the ice?

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
For league that use smaller sized nets, do they actually drill holes and put pegs in for these nets or do they just rest on the ice?
For the cross ice, full sized nets the goals just rest on the ice.

FWIW, I think a 4x3 net for a kid in full gear is plenty big and would be proportional with what older kids/adults use. At the one rink I take my son to for sticks and pucks they will set up the smaller nets and kids, certainly the better ones, still score.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
sanityplease

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post

I get where you're coming from. In fairness though, they can use their stick & body to do pretty well covering the bottom of the net. But then again my kid's not a goalie.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
pelts35.com

That kid in the video has some serious skills. He's doing some legitimate goaltening moves (bfly slides, t-pushes) and is in the minority of 6 year olds.

Using the stick/body on foot and ice are 2 entirely different things altogether (insert scene from Airplane here).

In any event, it just is what it is.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Kulluminati

I can see where you're coming from but I think that this would along with being a cost/storage issue, also be detrimental to the development of the goalie. At what age would you change the net size from 'small' to standard? The way it is right now just lets kids adapt to the regulation size net as they themselves grow. What if your age 9 and you play on this small net, then when your 10 the goal has suddenly grown in area by 20-25% wouldn't that just mess you up?

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Can someone please explain to me why kids, specifically kids under 8, are playing with full sized goals, especially if they are playing half or cross ice? It makes no sense to me that kids that size should be playing with goals that adults play with.

Of course, this comes from a goalie who's son also plays goal, but even other parents make similar comments.
As most have said, cost is a huge factor. Some ice rinks do have smaller nets but most are just to give a target and not meant to have a kid stand in front of. I have been to a lot of ice rinks and cannot ever remember seeing a smaller net that was still designed to have a goalie play in. All are full size or tiny target nets.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:57 PM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
I get where you're coming from. In fairness though, they can use their stick & body to do pretty well covering the bottom of the net. But then again my kid's not a goalie.

Holy cow that kid is good. He must have some older brothers or something.

UvBnDatsyuked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:14 PM
vapor11

Understood it would be better for your son if he stopped every puck on a smaller net..but if the players can't score they are not having fun..Playing at that age is about fun/development

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
epo

The youngest league here with full-time goalies averages 8.3 goals a game. That has as much to do with lack of parity as it does large nets.

Are real nets even made in smaller sizes.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:42 PM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
I for one am kind of thankful I grew up playing with a regulation net. It seemed huge at the time and I often got frustrated, but it forced me to really work on lateral movement and being able to stretch out to make saves. It's made me a much better goalie as an adult.

bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
I can see where you're coming from but I think that this would along with being a cost/storage issue, also be detrimental to the development of the goalie. At what age would you change the net size from 'small' to standard? The way it is right now just lets kids adapt to the regulation size net as they themselves grow. What if your age 9 and you play on this small net, then when your 10 the goal has suddenly grown in area by 20-25% wouldn't that just mess you up?
At what age do they raise the basketball net?

At what age do kids stop playing baseball on diamonds with bases 60 feet apart?

At what age do kids start using full size soccer goals or soccer balls for that matter?

Kids will adapt as they grow, just as they do in other sports.

I'm not looking for my son to stop every shot. I'm looking for the goal to be proportional with how the goal would appear for an adult. Even with a smaller net, there would be plenty of scoring.

Eco, yes, real nets are made in smaller sizes.

And I'm not buying the cost/storage excuse. In terms of cost you're talking about a couple hundred bucks. In terms of storage, they could be hung on a wall or put in a closet.

Last edited by pelts35.com: 02-13-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old
02-14-2012, 07:01 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
It changes at 9 when you move from Mites to Squirts, unless you are good enough to play up to Squirts at 8. Which is also when you go from cross ice to full ice.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
madmutter
I heff to be med

The main focus in hockey at 7 or 8 years old should be fostering a love for the game and increasing or maintaining a players enthusiasm. Skills development is very important but secondary at this age.

A standard net leads to more goals, scoring goals is fun, having fun means wanting to play more hockey, playing more hockey leads to being a better hockey player.

From a goaltender standpoint I suppose that making more saves is fun but a 7 or 8 year old should not be playing more than half their games in goal until they are 9, if not 11 years old anyway.

The only people who have ever said that a hockey game has too many goals in it are defensively minded coaches (who should relax that focus some at younger levels) and goalies (who are weird, everyone knows that. ).

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:36 PM
capebretoncanadien

Lol smaller nets...

1. Cost
2. Extra work dragging the big nets off and little ones on.
3. Kids of Beginner/Novice level are not roofing shots.
4. Of what benefit is it?

Pointless IMO

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote