HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moen in Habs plans?

Old
02-13-2012, 07:22 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I'd trade him. White and Blunden are more than capable of playing a 4th line role. With Leblanc developing, Eller and Kostitsyn, the 3rd line is pretty much set.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
White and Blunden are more than capable of playing a 4th line role.
Blunden has yet to prove that to me. He certainly hasn't shown any indication of being anywhere near to the player Travis Moen is.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:34 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Nothing wrong with him being back, that being said I am sure if someone was willing to overpay he would be moved at the deadline.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:56 AM
MXD

I hope he's traded -- we need every draft pick we can obtain for him.

Of course, if he really wants to comeback here, he'll sign in july.

That's ... Travis Moen, for Christsakes! His picture appears besides the word " support player " in the dictionnary.

I'd do the same for every pending UFA, even AK (though I try to sign him first -- playing him with Gomez on the 4th doesn't help in that regards).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:00 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethreekings View Post
i'd trade him. White and blunden are more than capable of playing a 4th line role. With leblanc developing, eller and kostitsyn, the 3rd line is pretty much set.
lol.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:01 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I hope he's traded -- we need every draft pick we can obtain for him.

Of course, if he really wants to comeback here, he'll sign in july.

That's ... Travis Moen, for Christsakes! His picture appears besides the word " support player " in the dictionnary.

I'd do the same for every pending UFA, even AK (though I try to sign him first -- playing him with Gomez on the 4th doesn't help in that regards).
Of course, he'll obviously choose to come back here instead of staying with the contender we traded him to...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:03 AM
PunkinDrublic*

For all of you hoping Moen will be gone ! Bwahahahaha ! Bad news for you.

I have been saying this for months. Habs management loves this guy and so do the rest of the GMs in the league.

He is here for 3-4 years. And this makes me VERY happy.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:15 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love Moen...

pls stay and never leave me Travis.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:33 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
If they want to keep him, I'm fine with that. But do it now ! Don't take a shot in the dark, HOPING to re-sign him at some point after the deadline. We're in no position to squander assets. Don't want another Souray situation.

Sign him now or trade him. Period.
This. I don't see the point in waiting. It's not like Moen's value is going to change in the final 26 games. And as we always find out, the closer you get to July 1st, the easier it is for the player to just wait and see what the market will bring, usually it's in the player's best interest to do so.

I don't compare this at all to the Souray situation, however. Souray was a monster performer for us, his scoring had a bigger impact and was worth keeping for the season stretch run. But Moen... he's "solid", but I don't know that him vs. White/Blunden/Schultz makes a huge difference in the standings for a short run of games. He's good to have over the long haul of a season, and in the playoffs. But in our situation, I'd be surprised if Moen made a tangible difference to our remaining stretch run.

So I say put your best offer on the table to him today. If he takes it, great. If not, trade him. I like him and he's a good player and steadying influence and all that, but ultimately not irreplaceable and draws something of a premium salary for the role he plays. He's not the guy to squander potential assets over for a 25-game stint.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
For all of you hoping Moen will be gone ! Bwahahahaha ! Bad news for you.

I have been saying this for months. Habs management loves this guy and so do the rest of the GMs in the league.

He is here for 3-4 years. And this makes me VERY happy.
Sure they love this guy! And that's the problem.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
I'd trade him. White and Blunden are more than capable of playing a 4th line role. With Leblanc developing, Eller and Kostitsyn, the 3rd line is pretty much set.
Moen is a career NHLer...Blunden managed to string together a couple of good games. The two are not even comparable.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
If they want to keep him, I'm fine with that. But do it now ! Don't take a shot in the dark, HOPING to re-sign him at some point after the deadline. We're in no position to squander assets. Don't want another Souray situation.

I totally agree with you. Moen is coming off a 3 year $4.5 million deal ($1.5 per). When we first signed him i thought that was maybe a bit high...now i feel its about right.

Negotiations would appear to be fairly simple in this case....if the Habs want to keep him (and i hope they do), offer him another 3 years at $4.5, with maybe the wiggle room to bring it up to say $5 million over 3 years. If Moen wants to stay then i think he accepts that deal, especially with the uncertainty that lies ahead.

If he wants to test the market, then at least we know that ahead of time and we move him for the best possible return by the deadline.

Seems simple, no?

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
PunkinDrublic*

His agent says he is staying in Montreal.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I totally agree with you. Moen is coming off a 3 year $4.5 million deal ($1.5 per). When we first signed him i thought that was maybe a bit high...now i feel its about right.

Negotiations would appear to be fairly simple in this case....if the Habs want to keep him (and i hope they do), offer him another 3 years at $4.5, with maybe the wiggle room to bring it up to say $5 million over 3 years. If Moen wants to stay then i think he accepts that deal, especially with the uncertainty that lies ahead.

If he wants to test the market, then at least we know that ahead of time and we move him for the best possible return by the deadline.

Seems simple, no?
It seems sooooooo simple. And yet, time and again, this doesn't seem to be the thought process used by management. I would love to hear an honest explanation of the actual thought process. Maybe read them in somebody's biography years later. Is the potential return (e.g. 2nd round pick) just not valued very much by management? Are the "intangible" elements that a respected teammate like Moen carries into the room during a stretch run factored so much more highly than we do? I'm not even sure how either of those argue against making an offer right now, however.

I get it that maybe an ex-player like Gainey would look at asset management with a tilt towards the value of keeping the player around, a player-centric perspective. I sort of think of Gauthier as a bit more development-oriented, however, where assets like picks and prospects could carry a little bit more weight. But who knows.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:56 AM
OpenIceHit

vCash: 677
I can't wait they re-sign him so we can move forward with other needs.

This team needs a re-tool, not a total rebuild from the base. With the right moves, I expect this team to be top 4 in the East next year. And Moen is part of it.

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It seems sooooooo simple. And yet, time and again, this doesn't seem to be the thought process used by management. I would love to hear an honest explanation of the actual thought process. Maybe read them in somebody's biography years later. Is the potential return (e.g. 2nd round pick) just not valued very much by management? Are the "intangible" elements that a respected teammate like Moen carries into the room during a stretch run factored so much more highly than we do? I'm not even sure how either of those argue against making an offer right now, however.

I get it that maybe an ex-player like Gainey would look at asset management with a tilt towards the value of keeping the player around, a player-centric perspective. I sort of think of Gauthier as a bit more development-oriented, however, where assets like picks and prospects could carry a little bit more weight. But who knows.
It is strange that all other teams in the NHL seem to be able to sign players during the season, yet the Habs never do.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:03 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
It is strange that all other teams in the NHL seem to be able to sign players during the season, yet the Habs never do.
Gorges says hi!

dcal64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:33 AM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

If we can get a good return, why not trade him!? But if we plan on keeping him, it's about time we put together a real 4th line.

Moen-Konopka-White
Blunden or Darche as 13th forward

That line would be able play hockey (8-9mins per game), get the respect and distribute the shoulders! I think they would be fun to watch also lol..

Habster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:

That's about the size of it. Same for AK. Why has this simple approach been so difficult for Habs management to grasp?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
yianik

Moen will get more than the $1.5M he is currently getting, say no more than $5.5m-$6m over 3, and Im fine with that. I wouldnt wait until after the deadline though, its sign now or sell now.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:01 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If we cannot get a 2nd round draft pick for him then KEEP HIM!

Next season:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Leblanc - Eller - Moen
Blunden - White - Schultz

Markov - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Kaberle - Diaz

Price
Budaj
And we would have 10-11 M in cap space with that lineup to upgrade a another forward and D-men..

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

The more I think about it, the more I think we should keep both Moen AND Gill until the end of the season. You guys need to realize that management had playoffs hope while we were sitting in the 15th spot so now that we are 11th, I can't see us being sellers unless we lose all our games before the trade deadline. If we want to push for the playoffs (and actually have a solid team if we're in), Moen and Gill are obvious keepers.

In fact, only three guys should be on the trade block IMO :

- Andrei Kostitsyn (if they plan to play him with Eller and Leblanc keep him, if they plan to play him with Gomez, trade him if you can get at least a 1st round pick)
- Yannick Weber (Weber has been linked to Edmonton and a deal I'd like to see is something like Weber+Kristo for MPS)
- Chris Campoli (midround pick will do it)

Until the end of the season :

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Darche - Plekanec - Bourque
MPS/Kostitsyn - Eller - Leblanc
Moen - Nokelainen - White

Markov* - Emelin
Gorges - Subban
Gill/Kaberle/Diaz (some kind of rotation between them if Markov is healthy, Gill being an obvious regular if we get into the playoffs)

Price
Budaj

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Also my thinking. I also think we should keep Darche, who is more than capable of replacing Moen in the PK role. Despite the fact that Moen is maybe more valuable on our team than a 2nd round pick next year, the idea of stockpiling picks is too attractive to pass up.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
Also my thinking. I also think we should keep Darche, who is more than capable of replacing Moen in the PK role. Despite the fact that Moen is maybe more valuable on our team than a 2nd round pick next year, the idea of stockpiling picks is too attractive to pass up.
But the ract remains that if the management thinks that we can get into the playoffs, Moen is a keeper.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habster33 View Post
If we can get a good return, why not trade him!? But if we plan on keeping him, it's about time we put together a real 4th line.

Moen-Konopka-White
Blunden or Darche as 13th forward

That line would be able play hockey (8-9mins per game), get the respect and distribute the shoulders! I think they would be fun to watch also lol..
Ask Sens fans about Konopka's hockey playing ability.

Sure he wins faceoffs, but as soon as the draw is done he becomes useless, and is one of the worst offenders in the NHL for minor penalties taken per minute of ice time.

He's a liability. I dont get the fascination with this guy.

No doubt he's a good fighter, but if he was actually capable of taking a regular shift he wouldn't have lasted on the free agent market as long as he did this summer, only getting a deal in mid July for one year at limited dollars.

Konopka has been made out to be something that he is not by Habs fans.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote