The Wild Board Jukebox Thread

Old
02-12-2012, 10:41 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Oh, goodie, a chance to impose my musical tastes on other people!

I've got something like 2500 plays of Arcade Fire on last.fm, plus unhealthy amounts of concert merch, so I probably have to include them... they're best heard in album form, but here are starting places (YT quality is *****, so up it to 480 if it's an option): [1] [2] [3] [4]

Also The Shins are awesome indie rock: [1] [2] [3]

If live in MN and you're not listening to Minneapolis Hip-Hop, then you're wasting it. Brother Ali [1] [2] [3] [4] and Atmosphere [1] [2] [3]

Cloud Cult is also local, more indie. Huge ****ing sound, amazing concerts. If you want to be absolutely devastated, read up on their backstory while you listen. [1] [2] [3]

One more local band, because you need more bluegrass in your life: Trampled by Turtles [1] [2]

Celtic punk is way the **** cooler than it sounds. Flogging Molly [1] [2] [3] and Dropkick Murphys, who got Bobby Orr, Shawn Thornton, and Milan Lucic to be in their latest video (link 3): [1] [2] [3]

Oh man, that look longer to type up than I was expecting. I could keep going for a long time... haven't hit any ska, or garage rock revival, or very much "indie rock", or blues rock. Lemme know if you like any of this stuff and I'll hit you up with more.
Not that I'm necessarily opposed to your list but I feel like you should work for The Current. I only listen to the radio at work but they play all those bands regularly.

I currently can't get this song out of my head.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:47 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Road trip coming up. Need to find some new music. Into Indie mostly, preferably upbeat so I don't fall asleep while driving... Like some hip hop here and there if it's good, don't want any pop-ish crap though.

Suggestions needed!

Annnnd go!!!!
anything by Cunninlynguists is good hip hop. Especially "Southernunderground."

Some others to listen to:

Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Redman - Whut...Thee Album, Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters
Atmosphere - Overcast!
EF@MM - Happy ***** You Songs

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:50 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
Not that I'm necessarily opposed to your list but I feel like you should work for The Current. I only listen to the radio at work but they play all those bands regularly.

I currently can't get this song out of my head.

The Current's good ****, dude. Fits with what he asked for, too. Lots of indie, not too much pop, mostly upbeat.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
The Current's good ****, dude. Fits with what he asked for, too. Lots of indie, not too much pop, mostly upbeat.
I like The Current a lot. I've found good folk music because of that station. They made me appreciate the radio again.

Oh ****. I didn't even read that he wanted suggestions.

this providence, do you like Modest Mouse? Probably my favorite indie artist.

Wilco is up there for me too. Their collaboration with Billy Bragg where they put music to Woody Guthrie lyrics was solid. Mermaid Avenue. The first album is a lot better.

The live album by Built to Spill is mind blowing (not as into their studio albums). Here is their 20 minute cover of Cortez the Killer.

Elliot Smith is really good too. I loved the posthumous double disc: New Moon.

Joy Division is one of those decent older indie / post-punk bands to fall back on, if you can't think of something else.

Another newer indie band that is hit or miss is Okkervil River. I liked their album: The Stand-Ins but another album I heard was average. I appreciated their intellectual lyrics too.

Old
02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
anything by Cunninlynguists is good hip hop. Especially "Southernunderground."

Some others to listen to:

Nas - Illmatic
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Redman - Whut...Thee Album, Dare Iz A Darkside, Muddy Waters
Atmosphere - Overcast!
EF@MM - Happy ***** You Songs
Safe to say, N.Y. State of Mind is the greatest hip hop song ever written.

I'm not as into rap or hip hop as others but Fugees - The Score is one of the better albums, I've ever heard. A lot of good memories associated with that album.

A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders. I liked that one too.

I also like Lupe Fiasco. Ha ha. I know a lot of people avoid him though!

Old
02-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I know nothing about rap or hip hop and can't stand most of it, but I've been listening to the new Gym Class Heroes the last couple days. Aside from the poppy radio songs it's good. I missed everything they did after Papercut I.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:10 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll be checking out the few I don't have. iTunes account credit card isn't going to look so hot this week with all the new songs, along with finally switching over to the iPhone.

Random stuff:
1. Had my nose broken at a Flogging Molly concert when I was 17.
2. Been a fan of The Shins for a while.
3. No self respecting Minnesota can't not love the local hip hop scene. At least the stuff I grew up with.
4. Don't care for Modest Mouse.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll be checking out the few I don't have. iTunes account credit card isn't going to look so hot this week with all the new songs, along with finally switching over to the iPhone.
I know the feeling. I'll spend anywhere from $75-100 on iTunes any given month, so for Christmas, if there's not something I "need" I ask for iTunes gift cards. Got about $7 left of the $250 I got this year.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:21 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:

Random stuff:
1. Had my nose broken at a Flogging Molly concert when I was 17.
2. Been a fan of The Shins for a while.
3. No self respecting Minnesota can't not love the local hip hop scene. At least the stuff I grew up with.
4. Don't care for Modest Mouse.
How dare you. Modest Mouse is awesome. I am shocked and appalled!

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If/when they give me 320kbps I will start buying from iTunes. I'm not paying for 128. Sucks because I'd like to get rid of all my CD's. Wish you could pay $1-2 for an album instead of $10.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If/when they give me 320kbps I will start buying from iTunes. I'm not paying for 128. Sucks because I'd like to get rid of all my CD's. Wish you could pay $1-2 for an album instead of $10.
You can load your CDs into iTunes.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4045

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Dee Oh Cee

Wait, people still pay for music?

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Oh, goodie, a chance to impose my musical tastes on other people!

I've got something like 2500 plays of Arcade Fire on last.fm, plus unhealthy amounts of concert merch, so I probably have to include them... they're best heard in album form, but here are starting places (YT quality is *****, so up it to 480 if it's an option): [1] [2] [3] [4]

Also The Shins are awesome indie rock: [1] [2] [3]

If live in MN and you're not listening to Minneapolis Hip-Hop, then you're wasting it. Brother Ali [1] [2] [3] [4] and Atmosphere [1] [2] [3]

Cloud Cult is also local, more indie. Huge ****ing sound, amazing concerts. If you want to be absolutely devastated, read up on their backstory while you listen. [1] [2] [3]

One more local band, because you need more bluegrass in your life: Trampled by Turtles [1] [2]

Celtic punk is way the **** cooler than it sounds. Flogging Molly [1] [2] [3] and Dropkick Murphys, who got Bobby Orr, Shawn Thornton, and Milan Lucic to be in their latest video (link 3): [1] [2] [3]

Oh man, that look longer to type up than I was expecting. I could keep going for a long time... haven't hit any ska, or garage rock revival, or very much "indie rock", or blues rock. Lemme know if you like any of this stuff and I'll hit you up with more.
No worries, it's a good list and reflects many of my music choices.

Something I've been listening to lately is Lazerbeak's latest album. He's the producer to most of the Doomtree records and always been a fan of the guy going back to his old band The Plastic Constellations. The record itself is mostly instrumental but if you like great beats and most of the Doomtree collective it's a must-listen.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
You can load your CDs into iTunes.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4045
Yup, and choose your bitrate. Also, I am almost 100% sure everything I have ever downloaded from iTunes is 320 kbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Wait, people still pay for music?
Yup, only if it's not popular enough to be on torrent. Or if I really dig the band.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh I've got all mine loaded and encoded, I meant buying music.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Another newer indie band that is hit or miss is Okkervil River. I liked their album: The Stand-Ins but another album I heard was average. I appreciated their intellectual lyrics too.
There were some great tracks on The Stage Names (which I think was sort of a two-part thematic arc with The Stand-Ins) but I haven't really heard (or felt the need to look for) any of their other stuff.

Quote:
Amazon MP3 does 256kbps VBR. Maybe that's not HQ enough for you, but it's damn good quality to my ear. Also, Amazon sells their music for way the **** cheaper than iTunes, and they don't encode personal information in most of their MP3s (and if they do, there's a disclaimer on the album page, and it's trivially easy to remove).

Old
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd do $5 an album at 256 but hate paying for reduced quality. Funny the difference between $5 and $10. I'd probably buy several albums per month at $5 but I usually only buy 2-3 per year at $10.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
I'd do $5 an album at 256 but hate paying for reduced quality. Funny the difference between $5 and $10. I'd probably buy several albums per month at $5 but I usually only buy 2-3 per year at $10.
Amazon puts 100+ albums on sale for $5 each month, so that would be worth checking out.

Also, since we've mentioned Brother Ali recently, he put out a new EP today for free. http://www.rhymesayers.com/brotherali

Last edited by llamapalooza: 02-13-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 05:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
my 2 month old loves Sigur Ros and Jonsi. Uplifting indie music? Mates of State do it for me. Really poppy, but for whatever reason I dig it.

Public Enemy still gets me pumped when it shows up on random.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:04 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Yeah, if you're paying for music, I recommend Amazon over iTunes. Especially since Amazon added the cloud service to back up your purchase (they didn't have that for awhile).

I usually get music via Waffles.fm or from a friend on Dropbox. But if I really like the artist or even an artist I don't really like puts out an amazing album, I have no qualms about purchasing the album. Which is usually a digital copy because other than for lyrics, I have no use for CD's.

This year on Amazon, I've purchased:

Menkena - With You, I'll Travel (This is one of the better indie albums, I've heard in a long time. A little trivia for those who like punk music: Jimmy Menkena was a guitarist for INDK. A major transition between the two bands.)

Brendan Kelly (from The Lawrence Arms) & The Wandering Birds - A Man With the Passion of Tennessee Williams EP (Really weird EP. One track is experimental, one is punk, and the last track is acoustic. The last track is awesome, easily the best of the EP. )

West End Hotel (Brent Hinds from Mastodon side project) - Don't Shiver, You're A Winner (I really liked this album. Over the top, drunk sing-a-longs with bizarre lyrics. Great cover of the Misfits to top it all off.)

Gregg Ginn (ex-Black Flag guitarist) and the Taylor Texas Corrugators - Legends of Williamson County (A solid collection of instrumental psychedelic jams.)

Old
02-13-2012, 06:08 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
oooo and Pavement/Stephen Malkmus/Silver Jews. eat it up.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:28 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Safe to say, N.Y. State of Mind is the greatest hip hop song ever written.
my favorite part of the song is right at the beginning when you can hear Nas say "I don't know how to start this *****" right before he kicks off the first verse.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
my favorite part of the song is right at the beginning when you can hear Nas say "I don't know how to start this *****" right before he kicks off the first verse.
Hell yeah.

I also like "Straight out of the ****ing dungeons of rap." Ha ha.

I sit in awe every time it comes on. When people talk about it, I have to go listen to it (like now). That's how I know it's my favorite hip hop song.

But so many great lines, man.

"Laughing at baseheads, trying to sell some broken amps"
"I ran like a cheetah with thoughts of an assassin"
"I know this crackhead, who said she gotta smoke nice rock
And if it's good she'll bring ya customers in measuring pots"
"I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death"
"I ain't the type of brother made for you to start testin
Give me a Smith and Wesson, I'll have n****z undressing"
"Life is parallel to Hell but I must maintain"

Old
02-18-2012, 03:13 PM