HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2011-12 Season Thread (Pt.2)

Old
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I got verbally berated on the Knights board (Jr.A) when I questioned Mark's coaching knowledge. It's painfully evident every game that he's coaching as he goes. Flying by the seat of his pants if you will. Look down that bench.....past Mark, who doesn't really have much experience in the past decade plus..you've got 3 coaches with basically no experience what-so-ever. The lack of direction is showing..and the bad decisions are piling up.
It is an inexperienced group for sure. MArk Knows the game, can evaluate talent, is a hard ass negotiator but running a bench takes a certain personality and experience. I questioned him as an asst last year because of his demanor. He has laid off the tirades directed at players since taking over the head spot but Im not sure how comfy he is. MAnaging is a skill and I ffor one thought Dale was pretty good at it, although he oft was questioned by Knights fans.
Im almost hoping Mark is trying not to give anything away to opponents scouts to use come POs. We still got a 4pt lead and 1 game in hand. For now

HEy PP I know that verbal berating didnt get to ya. It wsnt even that bad lol rve24

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Metro119

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JDTPbUtRQU&sns=em

Video of lron7 doing his thing

Metro119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 08:06 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post

HEy PP I know that verbal berating didnt get to ya. It wsnt even that bad lol rve24
If anything it amped me up and proved my case.

Last night I stopped counting at 6 for the number of line matchups the Knights lost...that was in the 1st period. Yes the personnel dressed right now limits your ability to win matchups..but fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me is not a very good approach when you're a coach...especially when it seems like you need to be fooled 20 times before it sinks in.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
aresknights

Dale was a notorious line match up guy. Maybe its not Marks style, maybe hes feeling his club out seeing who he wants to play in what situations, and maybe hes just holding off on set matchups until the POs. I dont know just throwing ouit possibilities.

This weas a Knights team this weekend that was as physical as I remember.
BOs game is picking up every weekend seemingly, Raine is hard on opponent Fs in our end, NAmes may have awoke from whatever his issue has been the last 2 months.

And we kept or lead in the div and conf with the Rags and Whale each losing when we did Fri. The Rangers now play Sun vs Sag and Tues vs Guelph. Those are the 2 games in hand and they currently sit 10pts back. They win these 2, they have 3 games (?) left vs London. Could be interesting but the Knightts are in great shape for the div title.

Old
02-08-2012, 05:24 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
It is an inexperienced group for sure. MArk Knows the game, can evaluate talent, is a hard ass negotiator but running a bench takes a certain personality and experience. I questioned him as an asst last year because of his demanor. He has laid off the tirades directed at players since taking over the head spot but Im not sure how comfy he is. MAnaging is a skill and I ffor one thought Dale was pretty good at it, although he oft was questioned by Knights fans.
Im almost hoping Mark is trying not to give anything away to opponents scouts to use come POs. We still got a 4pt lead and 1 game in hand. For now

That Knight's bench is anything but lacking coaching talent....there is a lot of knowledge on that bench so I wouldn't be too worried. Now go over to the Soo and look at how that team is run , it would be major concern to me as a fan. Ramage/ Hunter/ Dylan/ Misha are all doing very well and will figure out this PP stuff. Ramage & Hunter have more hockey sense stuffed in their index fingers than the whole Soo management combined. ( from owners to Stapleton )

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
dino200022

Big weekend coming up any predictions?? I am liking wins ove Windsor and Kitchener while a close loss to the Whalers.

One big thing I dont like about the coaching staff is how once we build a two goal lead the team goes passive? I cant confirm it is the staff or players fault but when you get a two goal lead by attacking and and banging and then all of a sudden you dump the puck in and dont chase it. Never understood why you would just hand the puck over and let the other team come out of there zone untouched! One more thing that bothers me is when the opposing team is on a line change and the Knights stand behind the net setting up there "breakout" while all 5 opposing players are by there bench. Why not skate it out while u have that much room then work on the regroup from there instead of waiting for the other team to attack you and doing the same one d behind the net then passes to the other D breakout/turnover! Just a few kinks I would like to see worked out, you will never see Murphy sit behind his net when there is room to run just does not make sense to me!

dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2012, 03:05 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
That Knight's bench is anything but lacking coaching talent....there is a lot of knowledge on that bench so I wouldn't be too worried. Now go over to the Soo and look at how that team is run , it would be major concern to me as a fan. Ramage/ Hunter/ Dylan/ Misha are all doing very well and will figure out this PP stuff. Ramage & Hunter have more hockey sense stuffed in their index fingers than the whole Soo management combined. ( from owners to Stapleton )
I agree they have more hockey knowledge than the Soo management group. Its one thing to have a lot of hockey knowledge and another to be a good bench boss. Its about on the fly adjustments, game managemnet (how often do you play certain guys) communication ect.... I was always on Dales side, even with some criticism form fans. He became very adapt at managing a game IMO, even if I didnt always agree or understand decisions. MAybe Mark will prove to be a better coach Im not sure, but the fact is they are an inexperienced group- Dylan first year asst, Ramage first year asst, Misha first year full time after a couple years as occasional bench asst and occasional eye in the sky, and Mark hadnt run a bench in 10 years. Im not saying they wont succeed just that they are inexperienced.
As far as the PP, theres been room for improvement and has been for 2.5 years now.

Old
02-09-2012, 07:45 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
I agree they have more hockey knowledge than the Soo management group. Its one thing to have a lot of hockey knowledge and another to be a good bench boss. Its about on the fly adjustments, game managemnet (how often do you play certain guys) communication ect....
BINGO!!

Real world analogy

Book Smarts vs Street Smarts

Old
02-10-2012, 04:31 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
BINGO!!

Real world analogy

Book Smarts vs Street Smarts

Kelso was all over you two last night.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:30 AM
JL17

Last night was a prime example of bad match ups and poor decisions when it comes to coaching... 3 London goals went in off Whaler players so London was lucky last night.

Good coaches don't continue to put out there weakest player time after time after time when every shift leads to mistake after mistake and a couple ending up in your net. Martin took his timely 3rd period penalty again. We'd score and out goes Martin right after only to have fun in your own end. That game showed he doesn't belong... maybe a permanent scratch for the remainder of the season would be good. I perfer Ferry over him or even Flemington will make less mistakes.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 07:46 AM
dino200022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Last night was a prime example of bad match ups and poor decisions when it comes to coaching... 3 London goals went in off Whaler players so London was lucky last night.

Good coaches don't continue to put out there weakest player time after time after time when every shift leads to mistake after mistake and a couple ending up in your net. Martin took his timely 3rd period penalty again. We'd score and out goes Martin right after only to have fun in your own end. That game showed he doesn't belong... maybe a permanent scratch for the remainder of the season would be good. I perfer Ferry over him or even Flemington will make less mistakes.
My exact feelings as well, we escaped with a W. The boys worked hard and got the breaks tonight. Martin is just cut. He is slow, stupid and scared to get to the puck first. The one goal he actually slid into the corner while Aleardi just walked right around him, the other he was in the box for and the other we are on the PK and he is pinching haha. I dont know who is dumber Martin of Hunter for actually letting him see the ice or even dressing him!

As big as the win was last night to go 8 up on Plymouth, Sunday is going to be even bigger with Kitchener having 1 game in hand if London loses they will be 8 Behind with game in hand which is tonight against Plymouth. If Kitchener can get those points and still win sunday they will be 6 behind with 2 games left against London who they would be 4-0 against ouch. Big implication tonight in Plymouth if the Whale can do us a favour and both win and tire out the Rangers it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dino200022: 02-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.
dino200022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
hardoil3232

martin

hopfully hughes soon returns and keep martin in a suit

hardoil3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardoil3232 View Post
hopfully hughes soon returns and keep martin in a suit
I think well see that for sure. In the last 6-7 games Martin has been scratched 3 times. They are rotating him and Ferry, and both have obvious limitations on the back end.
I try not to get on players case, and ultimately look at the coach for making these decisions but its getting ugly. He wasnt stri=ong back there to begin with and has gooten worse (due in part to confidence)
Well need all 6 D healthy (our best 6) if were going to make a real deep run

Old
02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
aresknights

Watson was great, as I thought hed be tonight. After a week or so of adjustment hes stepped up his play, competes real hard and can be used on any of three lines and not skip a beat. A real valuable piece moving forward.

Houser was human tonight but got the big W. CONGRATS!!! Wonder if his parents jack up the bid on his pink jersey? its gotta be worth something to him. Hopefully he can get the jersey (if he cares that is)

I thought both teams had breakdowns but both showed a good level of compete in spite of those miscues. Both squads went back and forth, answering each other thru the night. And I dont think the knights were intimidated by the size or hitting in this game or any games recently.

London Fs seem to be looking to get the puck to the points more and having the D fire at the net. ANy1 else notice that over the last few games? The D is also lugging the puck a bit more. I see some subtle changes happening here in prep for POs

The 5 F PP? Any1? Bueller, Bueller? 2 for 3 did they go? I am suprised Harry isnt back there yet but maybe theyre just easing him in, watching his minutes Im not sure itll stay this effective but it seems if they go 1-7 the roof is falling but if they go 3-7 over 2 games no one notices. hhhmmmm

Good discipline for the most part in the 2 games. Very few minors (yes I know there was one by 26, but all in all good discipline)

The O has woke up the past 2 nights and hopefully has a few snipes left for Sunday afternoon. (aagghh league senoirity--- Rangers are senior so we dont get them here on a Friday to often)

Another scheduling bonus for all to chew on --PLy vs Ktown tonihgt! Hopefully it doent go to OT and become a 3 pt game.

Old
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post

When a person continually makes the same poor decisions in life, without having his hand forced to do so, most times that person would be considered an idiot. Why are some so quick to excuse our bench for the poor decisions they make? Keep going to the well boys...sooner or later that bucket is gonna be empty. This is either a very sick form of someone trying to prove "I told you he doesn't belong"...or some kind of sick twisted approach to making the customers you serve endure some pain.

If any of the 3 (Ferry,Flemmer,Martin) dress once the lineup it 100% healthy...to me they are not serious about putting the best available to them on the ice every game. I will question it and continue to question it shall it happen.

Old
02-12-2012, 10:20 AM
KnightWatch

I feel bad about all the abuse Flemmer, Ferry and in particular, Martin take. Truthfully, they would fit in well with most teams in this league, but on a team like this, stacked with talent, they should be forced to take a back seat. They all try hard, do everything that they're asked of and don't complain when asked to play a position they may not feel comfortable in playing. Additionally, they've all contributed some very valuable minutes when the team was severely short-handed at different times this season. So, in that regard, I think we should be grateful to them for the service they've provided in being important members of this team. Plus, I think Flemmer will still be required in certain games down the stretch and into the playoffs should things have the potential to get nasty...and the other two as well to rest some of the regulars and keep them fresh for the playoffs.

All that being said, yes, with a healthy squad, once playoffs get rolling, all 3 should be watching most games from the stands, and I believe the coaching staff is well aware of that.

KnightWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWatch View Post
I feel bad about all the abuse Flemmer, Ferry and in particular, Martin take. Truthfully, they would fit in well with most teams in this league, but on a team like this, stacked with talent, they should be forced to take a back seat. They all try hard, do everything that they're asked of and don't complain when asked to play a position they may not feel comfortable in playing. Additionally, they've all contributed some very valuable minutes when the team was severely short-handed at different times this season. So, in that regard, I think we should be grateful to them for the service they've provided in being important members of this team. Plus, I think Flemmer will still be required in certain games down the stretch and into the playoffs should things have the potential to get nasty...and the other two as well to rest some of the regulars and keep them fresh for the playoffs.

All that being said, yes, with a healthy squad, once playoffs get rolling, all 3 should be watching most games from the stands, and I believe the coaching staff is well aware of that.
I for one am not blaming any of the 3 players you mentioned...this falls on coaching. Right now there isn't much choice but to dress lesser talents, but come crunch time with a healthy roster, if you are still dressing players because you feel indebted to someone, you are showing favourtism before success. I can endure right now, but come playoffs if someone is sitting inorder to repay a debt....I'm crying foul.

Old
02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
KnightWatch

....and I'll be right beside ya!

Old
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWatch

I for one am not blaming any of the 3 players you mentioned...this falls on coaching. Right now there isn't much choice but to dress lesser talents, but come crunch time with a healthy roster, if you are still dressing players because you feel indebted to someone, you are showing favourtism before success. I can endure right now, but come playoffs if someone is sitting inorder to repay a debt....I'm crying foul.
Nicely put by both ya

Old
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
dgb

Another 6 point weekend, but another weekend that makes me a bit nervous. Yes, we beat Plymouth and Kitchener, but we seemed to just hang on Friday night, and we let Kitchener back in it in the third period yesterday and escaped with the shootout win. Championship teams go up 6-3 (Friday) and 3-1 (Sunday), hang on to the lead and win the game. If we do what we did this weekend in the playoffs, I'm not confident we'll make it out of the West.

dgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:13 PM
panny2727

any thoughts on the bruins prospects knight, spooner, and hamilton. any one gaining any size or showing that they belong in the nhl

panny2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb View Post
Another 6 point weekend, but another weekend that makes me a bit nervous. Yes, we beat Plymouth and Kitchener, but we seemed to just hang on Friday night, and we let Kitchener back in it in the third period yesterday and escaped with the shootout win. Championship teams go up 6-3 (Friday) and 3-1 (Sunday), hang on to the lead and win the game. If we do what we did this weekend in the playoffs, I'm not confident we'll make it out of the West.
If we do this in the playoffs--what, hang on against good teams and get the W?

I get what ur saying, but against good teams nothing comes easy. Itll be a dogfight for whoever gets thru the West.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
dgb

All I'm saying is that if we play like we did on the weekend, and let teams back into games in the third period, the wins won't be wins, they'll be losses. We did let 2 good teams back into games this weekend. We can't do this in the playoffs.

dgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
KnightWatch

You can say what you want about this weekend's games, but the important thing is that they found a way to win. It may not have been pretty, but they got it done....which is more than Plymouth or Kitchener can say.

Most importantly, the Knights proved to themselves that they can beat their two top conference rivals. If the play hard and smart, they now know that they "can" beat any team in this league...which I'm sure before this weekend they may have doubted.

Old
02-16-2012, 11:26 PM
sportnut

news from the east

With the playoffs just around the corner in tier 1 CCHL, here's how London's picks from the east are doing:
Jacob Jammes: 21 points in 35 games (broken jaw at the moment)
Remi Elie: 38 points in 49 games

sportnut is offline   Reply With Quote