HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks at Caps 7:30 PM 2/13/2012

Old
02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Wtf does that even mean? I'm talking to the people who think the problem lies in no #19 and no #52. What's the excuse if they miss the playoffs with them back or get bounced in round 1 or 2?
That drrrrr, only one team wins the Stanley Cup every year. So if "getting bounced from Round 2" is a huge disappointment then a HUUUUUUGE majority of the teams in the league are complete @#$^ing failures.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
marcel snapshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blokeyhighlander View Post
I'm wondering if having an NHL coach who was respected as a force in the game is the reason for Semin's turn around. He's consistently back-checking and even going to the corners from time to time. I bet he tuned Bruce out but is more willing to listen to Hunter.

I'm seeing zero defensive effort in Ovi's game. It's just been brutal this year watching him stand up tall and not pressuring the puck.
I agree with the Dale/Semin thing. Dale played with a guy in Quebec, Michel Goulet, who had the same skillset as Semin -- highly skilled, great scoring instincts, and put up great numbers for several years. But the guy also was good defensively. I think Dale respects Semin's skill set, and didn't prejudge him on the whole "lazy" and "defensively irresponsible" thing -- and has really gotten through to him. When's the last time he took a bad penalty (no doubt jinxing him tonight)?

As for Ovie, it's still painful watching him in the D-zone -- he glides, he watches, he reacts instead of anticipating, and he's still ready to blow the zone at the first opportunity. I can forgive him blowing the zone early - we need him to do that, and it makes the other team's D hesitant to pinch, but the gliding and the watching is just unbearable at times. He has just not assimilated the idea that it's his job to play defense too, not to just wait for the puck while everyone else plays D. Semin gets it - Ovi not yet.

marcel snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
That drrrrr, only one team wins the Stanley Cup every year. So if "getting bounced from Round 2" is a huge disappointment then a HUUUUUUGE majority of the teams in the league are complete @#$^ing failures.
Glad to know you are so very pleased with just making the playoffs. How crazy of me to want some progress over the past 4 years instead of the same old one and done failure. How selfish am I?

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:09 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Glad to know you are so very pleased with just making the playoffs. How crazy of me to want some progress over the past 4 years instead of the same old one and done failure. How selfish am I?
Yea, I am because I realize that once teams make the playoffs, essentially, anyone can win.

So yes, I'll take 82 games of winning 80% of them 6-5 and making the playoffs with a chance at winning. Than watching this winning maybe 50% of your games 2-1 garbage with no home ice advantage(see: $$$$).

Old
02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I agree with the Dale/Semin thing. Dale played with a guy in Quebec, Michel Goulet, who had the same skillset as Semin -- highly skilled, great scoring instincts, and put up great numbers for several years. But the guy also was good defensively. I think Dale respects Semin's skill set, and didn't prejudge him on the whole "lazy" and "defensively irresponsible" thing -- and has really gotten through to him. When's the last time he took a bad penalty (no doubt jinxing him tonight)?
Meh. He's playing for a contract.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:14 AM
tmljeh19

Quote:
Yea, I am because I realize that once teams make the playoffs, essentially, anyone can win.

So yes, I'll take 82 games of winning 80% of them 6-5 and making the playoffs with a chance at winning. Than watching this winning maybe 50% of your games 2-1 garbage with no home ice advantage(see: $$$$).
Once again you are babbling on about something irrelevant to what I am talking about. That's wonderful that you enjoy making the playoffs and losing. Glad you have such lofty goals for your so called favorite hockey team.

tmljeh19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:17 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Meh. He's playing for a contract.
Exactly.

Ship him to the moon for all I care.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:19 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Once again you are babbling on about something irrelevant to what I am talking about. That's wonderful that you enjoy making the playoffs and losing. Glad you have such lofty goals for your so called favorite hockey team.
It's not really a lofty goal sir. I'm just not new to watching hockey and realize that it's probably the most balanced sport out there in terms of competition, so yes, if my favorite team does get bounced in round 2, I wouldn't whine and call it a "failure".

Old
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
It's not really a lofty goal sir. I'm just not new to watching hockey and realize that it's probably the most balanced sport out there in terms of competition, so yes, if my favorite team does get bounced in round 2, I wouldn't whine and call it a "failure".
when expected to be a Stanley cup contender and one of 2-3 teams expected to win it getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is a failure im sure most would agree

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:44 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
Unfortunately, we're light on talent. While shipping him to the moon is a nice idea, they need a return or need to spend that money.

I'm not certain anymore that either will happen.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:47 AM
NeilYoung

Atleast Greens almost back, for how long who knows.

That'll make things decent for a bit though. Watching our d-men throw the puck away for no reason time after time is beyond annoying.

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:55 AM
MD Moose

Quote:
Serious question. What happens if this team misses the playoffs? Or gets bounced in the first or second round again? What will it be then. Id like a serious answer.
The serious answer would be that the organization should look to improving their management, which would seemingly suggest bringing in someone with more competence than McPhee.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Aucoin is here getting his feet wet in case MP gets injured. Just like MP was toiling as a 4th line winger all year, waiting for an injury to a scoring C. Just like ramping up Orlov's minutes a few games back, its high time to figure out what we have in terms of depth at C and D. Get Aucoin up here, and let's expose him to what we may need him to do later, see if he can figure out how to trap yet still help generate scoring chances; be ready to pinch hit for an injured MP.

The system Dale is trying isn't new to hockey, its just taking time for the C/W up high to figure out when to join the forecheck, and how to trap when play is coming at them. It's not rocket science stuff. I feel they are erring on the side of caution and staying back, to not get in trouble. I do expect it to take time for the players to adapt but don't know whats reasonable - 3 months perhaps.
Maybe Dale didn't like Knuble talking about the teams lack of shots. The other GM's know his game, it won't change his trade value much.
Scott Hannan didn't need to watch any games to learn a new system and now these guys need 3 months to figure out stuff that isn't rocket science? Sure, they are younger, but hockey is hockey. These guys have been playing since they could walk.

The Caps responded to BB fairly quickly when he came on board. The Ducks have apparently picked up on BB's system in the same amount of time that Hunter's had to teach his troops. If the problem is personnel, then I don't think any amount of time is going to fix things. If that is indeed the case, DH needs to be flexible and make some changes that give the current squad the best chance to succeed.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy76 View Post
when expected to be a Stanley cup contender and one of 2-3 teams expected to win it getting bounced in the 1st or 2nd round is a failure im sure most would agree
+1 For Cappy76

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Atleast Greens almost back, for how long who knows.

That'll make things decent for a bit though. Watching our d-men throw the puck away for no reason time after time is beyond annoying.

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:32 PM
txpd

Quote:
Aucoin is here getting his feet wet in case MP gets injured. Just like MP was toiling as a 4th line winger all year, waiting for an injury to a scoring C. Just like ramping up Orlov's minutes a few games back, its high time to figure out what we have in terms of depth at C and D. Get Aucoin up here, and let's expose him to what we may need him to do later, see if he can figure out how to trap yet still help generate scoring chances; be ready to pinch hit for an injured MP.

The system Dale is trying isn't new to hockey, its just taking time for the C/W up high to figure out when to join the forecheck, and how to trap when play is coming at them. It's not rocket science stuff. I feel they are erring on the side of caution and staying back, to not get in trouble. I do expect it to take time for the players to adapt but don't know whats reasonable - 3 months perhaps.

Maybe Dale didn't like Knuble talking about the teams lack of shots. The other GM's know his game, it won't change his trade value much.
i love that dale is getting aucoin's feet wet. not so excited about aucoin and perreault playing a main part in the shorthanded goal that resulted in a loss.

is making the playoffs still going to be easy? do the caps still have plenty of points they can afford to spend while getting player's feet wet?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:34 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Scott Hannan didn't need to watch any games to learn a new system and now these guys need 3 months to figure out stuff that isn't rocket science? Sure, they are younger, but hockey is hockey. These guys have been playing since they could walk.

The Caps responded to BB fairly quickly when he came on board. The Ducks have apparently picked up on BB's system in the same amount of time that Hunter's had to teach his troops. If the problem is personnel, then I don't think any amount of time is going to fix things. If that is indeed the case, DH needs to be flexible and make some changes that give the current squad the best chance to succeed.
Hannan actually sat for a game to learn, and then ran around for a good 10+ before he sorted out our zone D. Was that a Woods defense?

I think it was in place to help make Sarge fit in.

I think looking back to the philly game Nick OT GWG, that its easy to coach up a team to go attack, do what you think is right, foot on the neck. At least easier than trying to restrain/retrain a team that had failed doing that after 4 years.

Does anyone know, is BB now running zone D out in Anaheim?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Does anyone know, is BB now running zone D out in Anaheim?
Id have to think its the same as when he first started here, hence taking Woods with him.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 12:38 PM
txpd

most teams play zone. it looked like zone when i watched them. they have big forwards that are not all tha fast, like getzlaf and man to man would not serve them very well

Old
02-13-2012, 12:44 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i love that dale is getting aucoin's feet wet. not so excited about aucoin and perreault playing a main part in the shorthanded goal that resulted in a loss.

is making the playoffs still going to be easy? do the caps still have plenty of points they can afford to spend while getting player's feet wet?

if the caps tossed a game or two because dale didnt like a veteran talking about the team's lack of shots, then he is not the strong leader i thought he was.
You sure are tossing around the word love a lot lately.

Aucoin's feet wet... my thinking, in our trap. Or are they running the trap in Hershey, and Aucoin has already mastered it. It doesn't matter, we are thin at C. Dale or George wants to see Aucoin, obviously. Is it really that confusing?

Making the playoffs is still easy, half the teams make it, no matter how horrible they are. Don't you know this? "Crappy" teams fans in full meltdown still make it every year. And then win a series, imagine that. Coaching coming to the surface. Its nice to know Dale shares coaching duties with his assistants, not compartmentalize it. I think that will help him as a rookie coach.

Last I saw 3rd place was still easily within reach.

Why are you always hitting the panic button, or talking about people hitting the panic button, or not. We haven't even hit the trade deadline line yet. This team is ripe for a shakeup and has been for well over a year.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
txpd

aucoin was playing a lot of wing and was playing wing on the pp when the caps gave up that goal. i am still not getting it.

the division lead is close. does that mean it will be easy? not hitting any panic button. just the same throwing points away when in 9th place to get a career minor leaguer's feet wet or to give a rookie baby defenseman some first pair minutes to see if it blows up in his face is a different story.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Ok thanks on the zone feedback.

For as popular as it sounds, I am surprised it doesn't get much discussion. Is it safe to presume we ran zone under Hanlon too. I can't remember jack and just took it for granted. My eyes only started to open to it when Hannan came on board, and then fo real when Dale scrapped it and sat Sarge.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:53 PM
txpd

man to man defense is not widely used because it routinely pulls your defensemen extended distances from the front of your own net. it also means that you dont pressure the puck very hard as long the puck stays to the outside. this is a reason why the caps give up so much d zone possession time.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
man to man defense is not widely used because it routinely pulls your defensemen extended distances from the front of your own net. it also means that you dont pressure the puck very hard as long the puck stays to the outside. this is a reason why the caps give up so much d zone possession time.
A question: They also gave up a ton of D zone time when they were still playing zone. So what was the cause then? If it's personnel, then why is that not the reason now. If this were a new problem, it would make more sense to blame man to man, but as it is a chronic long-term problem, I'm not sure that's the whole story.

californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Perhaps it's Mike Green more than any system. Get him in the lineup, teams wont be so bull headed in just trying to pin us down. With Wideman as our best overall Dman now, maybe teams are just seeing little risk in going for it. Wideman is racking up the points to counter, but he isn't MG52, and isn't scaring anyone in our defensive zone. We are young and teams should be getting after us.

Sure they targeted Green to be hit, but they perhaps had to do that to beat us.

Get a healthy Green back in the mix, and its just gotta help in all areas of the game. Gotta.