HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread pt. II

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2012, 08:01 AM
operasen

vCash: 500
I could get behind more Todd White; more Shaun Donovan - that type of personality. Scratches seems to have evolved nicely in the afternoon. They should do that for the morning show as well as two guys on the radio.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:14 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrayedd View Post
Here's to hoping Sun Media will follow suit and relieve the jokers they call sports writers ASAP and re-tool!
No chance that Sun restructures. They have a very successful formula:

Ensure articles appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator, and make sure to take a side, regardless if it is the correct one or not
+
Write at a 3rd grade level
+
Charge as little as they can for their paper
+
Fill as much space as they can with ads
=
$Profit$

Sun Media papers are possibly the worst newspapers in the country, but let it never be said that there isn't money to be made in sensationalistic and biased stories written like you're trying to explain something to an eight year old.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:29 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post

Ensure articles appeal to the absolute lowest common denominator, and make sure to take a side, regardless if it is the correct one or not
+
+
+
=
$Profit$

Sun Media papers are possibly the worst newspapers in the country, but let it never be said that there isn't money to be made in sensationalistic and biased stories written like you're trying to explain something to an eight year old.
When Don Brennan Was doing the morning show, they were talking about the one second skip in the clock that won the game in LA and stevf read an article about why the click skipped and Brennan said he wouldn't have put the explanation in because he didn't know what sone of the words mean or how to spell them......

I wasn't sure if he was serious but I leaned more to the he is an idiot.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:48 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Man, you are critical. They guy just started, give him a break. He is extremely knoweldgeable with contacts out the wazoo, the show is going to get better.
He has been on several times,this is not the first time I heard him. He does have a lot of knowedge and I hope he will do well , but he seems in too much of a rush to impart his point of view and too often his appearances turn into a monologue..

I did notice that yesterday he had relaxed a bit by the end of the morning and was considerably easier to listen to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutineplato View Post
Lee Versage isn't the biggest on air personality, and he is still painful to listen to sometimes but he's gotten better over time..
I actually like Versage, his enthusiasms are entertaining .I enjoy his and AJ's junior hockey knolwedge but find his NFL/Cowboys fixation boring but maybe thats because I dont follow the NFL.

Todd White is developing quite the on air personality and Donovan as well. Donovan makes perceptive observations though it is sometimes obscured by his slow way of speaking and reluctance to criticize another player.

Old
02-11-2012, 05:36 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

vCash: 50
I don't mind White and Dono but they are one dimensional.

How about hiring some real journalists?

Old
02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
otown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
I don't mind White and Dono but they are one dimensional.

How about hiring some real journalists?
Of course they are one dimensional that is why they are there. It is about analysing the team and the NHL after all. Who better than former players who have lived and breathed the NHL instead of more "wanna be hockey insiders" who actually think they are journalists.

Wayne Scanlan is the exception. He is a true journalist.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post
Of course they are one dimensional that is why they are there. It is about analysing the team and the NHL after all. Who better than former players who have lived and breathed the NHL instead of more "wanna be hockey insiders" who actually think they are journalists.

Hey guys,

I'm in my last year of the Radio Broadcasting program at Algonquin College.

Just thought I'd mention that I will have Liam Maguire on our show, The Press Box, tonight from 11-12. He will be in studio.

Also, I know I will probably get some flack for this, but Eklund will be on Wednesday night for the first segment.

Station is CKDJ 107.9. Comes in best when streamed though. Would love some feedback if anyone is able or wants to listen.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in my last year of the Radio Broadcasting program at Algonquin College.

Just thought I'd mention that I will have Liam Maguire on our show, The Press Box, tonight from 11-12. He will be in studio.

Also, I know I will probably get some flack for this, but Eklund will be on Wednesday night for the first segment.

Station is CKDJ 107.9. Comes in best when streamed though. Would love some feedback if anyone is able or wants to listen.

Oh ya, website is ckdj.net lol

Old
02-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffy View Post
Oh ya, website is ckdj.net lol
will do.

Just a heads up, don't let Liam talk about anything pre-1980. You will literally smash your face on the table from falling asleep.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by otown View Post

They are company men. That is all they are and as long as they remain uncritical of the Senators they will remain employed. Donovan is okay but the problem is Jason York froths at the mouth when he is on (going on about Chum) and he doesn't bring much despair. Todd White is fine for the most part but again he lives close to Phillips so he can't call him or other players out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I want Liam McGuire
Liam is fine...but then he goes: "I remember in 1934 Leo Dandurand had this great smoked meat sandwich. He had a dab of mustard and ever since the Canadiens adopted a 3-2 forecheck, with the exception of one match in late January against the New York Rangers, where their top centre had a sinus infection. Also, why isn't Paul Henderson in the Hall of Fame, I'm going to have a pint now."

Quote:
You might not like his personality but he does his job well. He is respectful and knowledgeable enough to talk about many issue's pertaining to sports and I thought had very good chemistry with Phil.

Phil did a good job.
Phil was horrid. He would high voice all the time, wax about his agent and girlfriend and was arrogant beyond compare. Sorry he lost his job but glad he got replaced, even if is by the terminally bland Terry Marcotte at the moment.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:42 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post

Phil was horrid. He would high voice all the time, wax about his agent and girlfriend and was arrogant beyond compare. Sorry he lost his job but glad he got replaced, even if is by the terminally bland Terry Marcotte at the moment.
THIS. x10000

Phil was the absolute worst. THE WORST. He sounded like he hadn't hit puberty yet and he was the master of the sports "non-take", where he'd ramble about a subject for about 2 minutes with no substance whatsoever.

Good riddance. I hope he never works in radio, or sports, again. He made me miss Kulka. KULKA!

Old
02-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Daffy

Quote:
will do.

Just a heads up, don't let Liam talk about anything pre-1980. You will literally smash your face on the table from falling asleep.
If you or anyone else was able to give a listen, I'd love any feedback.

Liam is a super nice guy.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Rooverick*

Not sure why Mike Sutherland got replaced. Thought he was very good doing the updates. Great radio voice.

Jerome was years overdue and Phil never should have gotten on-air.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post

+
+
+
=
$Profit$

Im not disagreeing. Except, do they profit? I honestly dont know anymore. I know that the newspaper industry is in trouble, is trying to figure out how to restructure in order to make money.

But i cant remember the last time i bought a paper. I used to buy 3 a day sometimes, say when the Sens were on a Cup run . But now i read all my news on-line and dont pay for it, although i would be willing to if i had to. And the last time i read garrioch was when someone here linked his on line column.

This is one reason i get a bit surprised about the reaction to sports media sometimes, i mean, you are still reading them? Do people still buy the paper version of newspapers and read them for sports other than perhaps when grabbing a bite to eat at a fast food joint by yourself? Does the Sun actually still make money?

Quote:
They are company men.
Phil bugged me because he just sounded like a typical leafs fan. I dont really care much one or the other about most of them, but the Lee Versage guy seems to draw more ire than i would've expected, he seems to talk sports the way i thought most here are wanting them to. That was funny about Liam.

But the company men line, i mean, well every ex player basically will be, it doesnt disqualify their insights as players especially Sens players. And that's more valuable. One thing Sens fans arent short of is reasons for casting blame and scapegoats to heap it upon.

Its the positive things they bring that are more important. But in a way, that also points out to why its a good thing that each team has homer announcers. I want to hear our announcers talk about the game from the Sens perspective. We are down or we are up. Its our pk or our pp. And i love listening to other teams announcers to hear their perspective (bias if you must) on the the game, team, league. Which is why calling announcers homers is hardly an insult to me; it's expected.

But they can always improve, i've enjoyed listening to Doug Wilsons bro lately.

Old
02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
FreakyBunny

The only real loss here for me is Michael Harris. Of all the talk radio hosts in Ottawa, he was the most objective, balanced one. He had a lot of integrity earned through years of beat reporting and his connection with the Donald Marshall case. I guess it's back to the CBC for me in the afternoons.

Jungle was an embarrassment. You could tell Steve and JR were getting tired of his limited repertoire. The Jim-O-Matic was basically the equivalent of the "I Wanna Punch Stew Out" song.

I hope the rest of them land on their feet, as I hope Jim does....just not hear...in Ottawa, ever again.

Old
02-15-2012, 12:13 PM
operasen

Got to agree on Michael Harris. He had the best afternoon show - interesting, topical, informed and balanced. I jope he lands on his feet; I'm sure he will with that talent and resume.

Old
02-16-2012, 07:00 AM
Macca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakyBunny View Post
Jungle was an embarrassment. You could tell Steve and JR were getting tired of his limited repertoire. The Jim-O-Matic was basically the equivalent of the "I Wanna Punch Stew Out" song.

I hope the rest of them land on their feet, as I hope Jim does....just not hear...in Ottawa, ever again.
I'm actually listening to the morning show now. In the past I'd try but I would change the station after about five minutes; I couldn't handle the grade 8 humour or the topic being discussed, and the discussions were never about any sport. Without Jermone both Steve and JR actually talk about the Sens game the previous night and are not distracted anymore by useless banter - it's a pleasant change!

Old
02-16-2012, 10:59 AM
operasen

Still need to clean up some stuff (like Dirty Dozen - they can be more creative than they are) but yes, I've listened in this week as well.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:29 AM
otown

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
Still need to clean up some stuff (like Dirty Dozen - they can be more creative than they are) but yes, I've listened in this week as well.
Couldn't agree more. The "Dirty Dozen" has to go! TGOR is much better now that Jungle is gone. Less distraction and more relevant sports talk. Tod White is a good addition to Sportscall as a fill in. Tremendous insight and a timely move with the deadline approaching.

Old
02-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

Quote:
Liam is fine...but then he goes: "I remember in 1934 Leo Dandurand had this great smoked meat sandwich. He had a dab of mustard and ever since the Canadiens adopted a 3-2 forecheck, with the exception of one match in late January against the New York Rangers, where their top centre had a sinus infection. Also, why isn't Paul Henderson in the Hall of Fame, I'm going to have a pint now."

Vey true. But I'm speaking for myself, I love those old school hockey stories. Feel like a kid listening to my grandfather telling tall tales.

Old
02-17-2012, 11:06 AM
PoutineSp00nZ
Beat that $%^& Bryan

Quote:
They are company men. That is all they are and as long as they remain uncritical of the Senators they will remain employed. Donovan is okay but the problem is Jason York froths at the mouth when he is on (going on about Chum) and he doesn't bring much despair. Todd White is fine for the most part but again he lives close to Phillips so he can't call him or other players out.

Bahaha that's why I'm nto crazy about Liam on the radio. if they gave him a leash he might be a decent host though. I'm pretty sure he did have his own show at one point but it only lasted a month or something.

Old
02-17-2012, 07:14 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Good luck Daffy. It's a brutal job market in that industry.

Liam used to be on OSR 1200 quite a bit, and I thought he was actually pretty good, but he obviously pissed off some people because he didn't last very long.

OSR was under very heavy influence from the Sens brass at the time as I recall, and when someone said something that was unpopular or controversial (ie: the truth) they would flex their muscles.

Kind of like this place...

Old
02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Why doesn't Todd White take Don Brennan's temporary (I'm hoping) spot on TGTOR? What the hell else is he doing for income?

Old
02-17-2012, 09:09 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
Good luck Daffy. It's a brutal job market in that industry.

Liam used to be on OSR 1200 quite a bit, and I thought he was actually pretty good, but he obviously pissed off some people because he didn't last very long.

OSR was under very heavy influence from the Sens brass at the time as I recall, and when someone said something that was unpopular or controversial (ie: the truth) they would flex their muscles.

Kind of like this place...
Nah, that just happens for you.

Old
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
Why doesn't Todd White take Don Brennan's temporary (I'm hoping) spot on TGTOR? What the hell else is he doing for income?
Don't quote me on this one, but I'm pretty sure he's got a job with the Sens looking after the Alumni association or something.

From what I've heard, at least. Seems like a comfy gig.

Closed Thread