HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Take a deep breath...

Old
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
Jagr is the least of this team's concerns and worries right now
considering many of his turnovers result in chances for the other team, you should be more concerned about him

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
which is sad

I have no problem with this team losing, as long as they put in a good effort

but when they lose because of simple blown defensive coverages and stupid plays (ie: anything Carle does), it's a joke
Same. It's why I stopped watching the Eagles this past season.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
well, there's two kinds of losses

a hard fought loss and a terrible loss

I can't remember the last time the Flyers had a hard fought loss
I'd argue that last night was hard fought. Aside from that...it's been awhile.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I don't think it was

they continued to let DET back in the game with bonehead defensive plays

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:21 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
considering many of his turnovers result in chances for the other team, you should be more concerned about him
This.

Also: Considering resigning him when it is clear he has lost a gear since his lower body injury that we got an educational view of on the bench.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:52 PM
dawkins121

I think a lot of the doom and gloom from this team stems from how much the defense has regressed. Going into the season expections were tempered because of how young the forwards would be. It was expected that if we contended it would be because our strong defense and goaltending would keep us afloat.

However, the goaltending has been inconsistent and the defense has been terrible. Everyone is excited about the future of the offense, but where do we go from here on defense? Coburn and Meszaros have taken huge steps backwards, Carle has looked bad and is probably on his way out, Timonen is too old to build around, and guys like Bourdon and Gustaffson don't seem to have top pairing potential. It's really starting to look like the defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt but there are very few good options out there (especially if a third of the league is bidding for Suter this summer).

Honestly I love our forwards and I'm more optimistic than most about Bryzgalov (I think he will bounce back, if not this year than next year. He is not as bad as he has looked this year). But the future looks bleak on defense and forget about finding an easy fix. Even signing Suter won't be enough. I don't know what happened to Coburn and Meszaros but unless they go back to their 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 forms respectively I'm not sure if they even qualify as top 4 guys (in which case they are making waaaay too much money).

So even though this team is exceeding expectations, the flaws that they are showing are much more troubling than the weaknesses we expected (inexperience up front).

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I think a lot of the doom and gloom from this team stems from how much the defense has regressed. Going into the season expections were tempered because of how young the forwards would be. It was expected that if we contended it would be because our strong defense and goaltending would keep us afloat.

However, the goaltending has been inconsistent and the defense has been terrible. Everyone is excited about the future of the offense, but where do we go from here on defense? Coburn and Meszaros have taken huge steps backwards, Carle has looked bad and is probably on his way out, Timonen is too old to build around, and guys like Bourdon and Gustaffson don't seem to have top pairing potential. It's really starting to look like the defense needs to be blown up and rebuilt but there are very few good options out there (especially if a third of the league is bidding for Suter this summer).

Honestly I love our forwards and I'm more optimistic than most about Bryzgalov (I think he will bounce back, if not this year than next year. He is not as bad as he has looked this year). But the future looks bleak on defense and forget about finding an easy fix. Even signing Suter won't be enough. I don't know what happened to Coburn and Meszaros but unless they go back to their 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 forms respectively I'm not sure if they even qualify as top 4 guys (in which case they are making waaaay too much money).

So even though this team is exceeding expectations, the flaws that they are showing are much more troubling than the weaknesses we expected (inexperience up front).
Excellent post!

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Disagree completely. Even if some of them did fight hard, it was at most 1/2 of the team. Sad.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Dooley36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA pa rappa the rapper... im reading this while in class drawing way too much attention to myself ctfu...

but matt carle is god awful. It's frustrating to watch but I think a lil shake up will turn things around

Dooley36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:41 PM
Ryker

Quote:
well, there's two kinds of losses

a hard fought loss and a terrible loss

I can't remember the last time the Flyers had a hard fought loss
You think you can make that distinction, but you can't. Someone who's huffing and puffing isn't necessarily working harder than the guy suffering in silence. It's also not obvious to see what's better - to have a team that is battling hard, but always falls just short, or a team that's lackadaisical, but has the chops to overwhelm when the players get the proper kick in their butts.

I see what you're saying, though, but I also think this impression a lot of people get is due to the fact that when the Flyers play well, they usually win, so losing a couple in a row just requires play that at least looks much worse.

I don't know, I just think there's a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, and I would still wait a couple more games before starting to worry about whether we are going to make the playoffs or not. And as far as effort goes, even Laviolette said it wasn't the problem last night, and often when they someone plays bad it just seems as if there's no effort behind it, even though there's usually just as much as it always is.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote