HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft Talk 2.0

View Poll Results: Which would you draft this upcoming summer?
Mikhail Grigorenko 53 42.40%
Nail Yakupov 54 43.20%
Other 18 14.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2012, 11:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Jonathan Diaby is wrecking ball. Do want. He's a 2013 though, right?
Yes and I agree.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:06 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think when drafting you have to pick the best player, no matter the position. But there are some great points in regards to us need some offensive power. I think the best way to go about it is thru a trade, if you want to go with a forward that isn't as highly ranked as where you are picking, you simply trade down and get another pick.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:09 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Saw the Gophers-Pioneers game last night. Laleggia looks like a real gamer. He's also having a fantastic season with 10 goals, 33 points in 30 games as a freshman.

Is he still draft elligible or is he an undrafted free agent only next year?
he's draft eligible

Old
02-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
he's draft eligible
How exactly is he not rated?

He had 80 points in Junior A last year, and is one of the best freshmen in the country this year.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:37 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
How exactly is he not rated?

He had 80 points in Junior A last year, and is one of the best freshmen in the country this year.
I don't think they rate guys that have been passed over twice, since he's a '92. I got to think he'll get drafted though now that he's doing well at a top program in the NCAA despite him being undersized for a defensemen. I'm sure the Habs have taken a look at him since he was a teammate of MacMillan's in the BCHL and now Didier's at DU.

One guy I like on DU as an undrafted FA is David Makowski, he's had some injury problems this year though. I like their FA goalie Juho Olkinuora as well although now that Sam Brittain is back he won't likely play much and they now have a 3 goalie system.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

I know everything can be worked on and can be improved, but there is one guy I do have my reservations and it's Griffin Reinhart. I actually don't see this guy racking some points in better leagues. And I have a LOT of my reservations (see Timmins effect...) based on his foot speed. A whole lot of work there. Agility mostly. And the guy looks HUGE out there yet, he doesn't use that body so much but plays a good game positionnaly though, but you see him play and wish he'd be way more physical than what he is.

So depending where we pick, I'd be hesitant in going for him. I guess I am amongst a few people. I do know that everything can be worked on yet, chances are I'd like other prospects more than him. He might not make my ND list but he's not going to be a favorite for me.

Old
02-13-2012, 12:40 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I know everything can be worked on and can be improved, but there is one guy I do have my reservations and it's Griffin Reinhart. I actually don't see this guy racking some points in better leagues. And I have a LOT of my reservations (see Timmins effect...) based on his foot speed. A whole lot of work there. Agility mostly. And the guy looks HUGE out there yet, he doesn't use that body so much but plays a good game positionnaly though, but you see him play and wish he'd be way more physical than what he is.

So depending where we pick, I'd be hesitant in going for him. I guess I am amongst a few people. I do know that everything can be worked on yet, chances are I'd like other prospects more than him. He might not make my ND list but he's not going to be a favorite for me.
Huge fan of Reinhart after watching the Oil Kings and Everett quite a bit. The kid is a beast. Yes he's not physical enough for his frame, but that can be taught and he's not a pylon. Not sure if you watched a bad game but he's pretty mobile for a 6'4" frame. What I really like is his mature positional play. Quite impressive for a '94. I'd pick him over any D not named Dumba/Murray (even Trouba).

SIDE NOTE: I think Galchenyuk is back practising - most likely no contact.
Quote:
Alex galchenyuk @AGally94:
Rbc centre #shooting #targets

Last edited by DekeLikeYouMeanIt: 02-13-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 02:16 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I really, really, don't want a D in the first round of this draft. I really don't want a D in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

We're sorely lacking offensive potential in the prospect pool right now. It needs to be addressed. Lots of 3rd liners and D with pro potential. No goalies, no power forwards, no top center and outside of Kristo/Gallagher, no snipers.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:28 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I really, really, don't want a D in the first round of this draft. I really don't want a D in the first 3 rounds of this draft.

We're sorely lacking offensive potential in the prospect pool right now. It needs to be addressed. Lots of 3rd liners and D with pro potential. No goalies, no power forwards, no top center and outside of Kristo/Gallagher, no snipers.
I agree but if we trade down to Washington's 2 picks. Reinhart and a forward would be amazing.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I agree but if we trade down to Washington's 2 picks. Reinhart and a forward would be amazing.
Rather 2 forwards. I like the potential of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz, Ellis, Nash and Bennett. With Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz in the NHL, another defenceman in the first round is lame. I'd take the 2 1sts and swing for the fences. Bank on Gaunce becoming a Getzlaf, and try for one of Collberg and Aberg for a legit sniping winger.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
S Bah

Quote:
If the Habs are in a position to trade for both of Washington's first round picks then they are certainly in position to get a gamechanging forward out of the draft.Either way the Habs first round would be great and I for one would be cheering Gauthier and Timmins pick/picks like a crazy man.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Jesker

Anyone has an idea of the reason why Oli Maatta is falling down in the recent standings and lists ? His injurie seems to have made him drop from several spots, but then again why guys like Galchenyuk, Rielley, Ceci and Koekkoek are standing still ?

Old
02-13-2012, 03:18 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesker View Post
Anyone has an idea of the reason why Oli Maatta is falling down in the recent standings and lists ? His injurie seems to have made him drop from several spots, but then again why guys like Galchenyuk, Rielley, Ceci and Koekkoek are standing still ?
He's playing now. Maatta was never rated that high for the most part. He didn't play as much in the WJC and he's getting easier minutes in London with Harrington and our boy Tinordi taking the bulk. Overall he's average at everything. Doesn't stand out.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Rather 2 forwards. I like the potential of Beaulieu, Tinordi, Dietz, Ellis, Nash and Bennett. With Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Diaz in the NHL, another defenceman in the first round is lame. I'd take the 2 1sts and swing for the fences. Bank on Gaunce becoming a Getzlaf, and try for one of Collberg and Aberg for a legit sniping winger.
Agreed, our offensive pool is awful. With this winning streak it feels like we are not going to get that elite 1st line player either, this is going to suck if we finish 9th.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Collberg or Sissons is just as good as Faksa or Gaunce IMO. The difference between the rest of the first round after the top 8 is just way too close to really say it's going to cost us anything.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Dietz, Nash and Bennett are all long shots. To me, Reinhart will be special. Yes I want forwards, but I don't think the crop is good enough to pass over Rino.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Dietz, Nash and Bennett are all long shots. To me, Reinhart will be special. Yes I want forwards, but I don't think the crop is good enough to pass over Rino.
Sure, but Subban, Emelin, Diaz are already NHL players, and Tinordi, Beaulieu are good bets... thats 5 defencemen already... and we aren't counting Josh Gorges.

Only need one of the various long shots to make it and you have your 7 D.

And there are a ton of those longshots Dietz, Nash, Bennett, Ellis, Pateryn, Nash, Stejskal, Didier, Nygren, Kishel, Sullivan etc...

Unless a Dman is head and shoulders above as BPA, we need to take the forward. If the two guys are close in talent level, gotta take the forward.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:12 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Sure, but Subban, Emelin, Diaz are already NHL players, and Tinordi, Beaulieu are good bets... thats 5 defencemen already... and we aren't counting Josh Gorges.

And there are a ton of those longshots Dietz, Nash, Bennett, Ellis, Pateryn, Nash, Stejskal, Didier, Nygren, Kishel, Sullivan etc...
You aren't even including Markov and whatever free agents we pick up. We have zero need on defense. Our offense is brutal, Plekanec is working with scraps right now. They aren't even comparable, our offensive need is immense.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
You aren't even including Markov and whatever free agents we pick up. We have zero need on defense. Our offense is brutal, Plekanec is working with scraps right now. They aren't even comparable, our offensive need is immense.
100% agreed.

See my edit, Unless you have a Dman who stands out head and shoulders above the forwards as BPA, you need to go for the forwards.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

True. I'm trying to draft the best player. Not just the BPA at the time of drafting but the player that projects to be the best.

I'm just not convinced from what I've seen of Faksa, Gaunce and I don't like what I've seen of Girgensons.

Collberg looked really smart imo and he has hands and drive to go with it. Would love to draft him at the right spot.

Forsberg is interesting because others heap praises on his offense and from my limited viewing in the WJC and 1 Leksand game, he looked talented but somewhat disinterested. And I don't know anything about Aberg

I like the guys that are available later though. Slepyshev, Hertl and Wilson (even though he's strictly a RW).

Old
02-13-2012, 09:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
100% agreed.

See my edit, Unless you have a Dman who stands out head and shoulders above the forwards as BPA, you need to go for the forwards.
The funny thing is Columbus and Edmonton could pick anyone. We sit here and say "Ahh **** Yakupov and Grigorenko are gone for sure" but Columbus might be gun shy with another Russian and Edmonton might be thinking their Defense is just too brutal not to pick up someone like Murray.

I don't think we will ever get another chance at a top pick, this season is an anomally for sure.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
The funny thing is Columbus and Edmonton could pick anyone. We sit here and say "Ahh **** Yakupov and Grigorenko are gone for sure" but Columbus might be gun shy with another Russian and Edmonton might be thinking their Defense is just too brutal not to pick up someone like Murray.

I don't think we will ever get another chance at a top pick, this season is an anomally for sure.
Agree on Columbus potentially being gun shy, but I think if they get gun shy they trade down. Which is why we should be trading away our UFAs and loading up on second round picks

If the Oilers get second overall, I think they grab Grigorenko. If they get 3rd overall or lower, I think its Murray, Trouba, Dumba, etc...

One thing to remember about the Oilers on Defence... they traded for Teubert last year, drafted Klefblom at 19 overall, and drafted Musil at 31 overall (1 pick outside first round). They basically added three first round Dmen to their prospect pool last season, so its not as bad as some might think with the PRV, Hall, RNH, top draft picks the last 3 years. Grigo is too good a 1-2 punch with RNH to pass it up, and they could get an extra 1st rounder from Hemsky (possibly) and they'll have another high second rounder, to once again add Dmen that way if necessary.

I also agree that this season is an anomaly, that is why we have to make it count and get the Centre we haven't had since Bobby Smith..

Old
02-13-2012, 10:01 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Agree on Columbus potentially being gun shy, but I think if they get gun shy they trade down. Which is why we should be trading away our UFAs and loading up on second round picks

If the Oilers get second overall, I think they grab Grigorenko. If they get 3rd overall or lower, I think its Murray, Trouba, Dumba, etc...

I also agree that this season is an anomaly, that is why we have to make it count and get the Centre we haven't had since Bobby Smith..

One thing to remember about the Oilers on Defence... they traded for Teubert last year, drafted Klefblom at 19 overall, and drafted Musil at 31 overall (1 pick outside first round). They basically added three first round Dmen to their prospect pool last season, so its not as bad as some might think with the PRV, Hall, RNH, top draft picks the last 3 years.
I don't think Teubert will amount to much but the others could be good. I don't think Klefbom and Musil can be really in the same league as Murray, Trouba or Dumba.

More picks is a very good idea but if we were going to trade with someone like Columbus I bet they would be after prospects and not picks given their history with picks. If we end up 5th - 8th would you give up someone like Bournival and our 1st to get #1 overall? I don't think our 5 prospects in the World Jrs went unnoticed.

Also would you rather grab Yakupov for Plekanec or just go with Grigorenko and try to build a line from scratch?

Old
02-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
I don't think Teubert will amount to much but the others could be good. I don't think Klefbom and Musil can be really in the same league as Murray, Trouba or Dumba.
No obviously none of those guys are in the same league as Murray, Dumba, Trouba, but I'm just saying its not a barren wasteland.

Quote:
More picks is a very good idea but if we were going to trade with someone like Columbus I bet they would be after prospects and not picks given their history with picks. If we end up 5th - 8th would you give up someone like Bournival and our 1st to get #1 overall? I don't think our 5 prospects in the World Jrs went unnoticed.
I would definitely do that trade.

Also if teams want prospects.... the extra picks give you the flexibility to move a prospect without it hurting as much.

So no matter what, its win/win to load up on picks.

Heck even if you don't trade them, youve given Timmins more chances to find you a gem.

Quote:
Also would you rather grab Yakupov for Plekanec or just go with Grigorenko and try to build a line from scratch?
I prefer the centre in theory if its say Forsberg vs Galchenyuk; but Yakupov to me is head and shoulders ahead of Grigorenko so I'd take him.

Ive got this draft ranked in tiers like so

1) Yakupov

2) Grigorenko

3-7) Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Trouba, Murray (all close depends on team picking)

8-12 or 13 with Reilly, Reinhart, Faksa, Gaunce, Girgensens, etc...

Old
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
No obviously none of those guys are in the same league as Murray, Dumba, Trouba, but I'm just saying its not a barren wasteland.

I would definitely do that trade.

Also if teams want prospects.... the extra picks give you the flexibility to move a prospect without it hurting as much.

So no matter what, its win/win to load up on picks.

Heck even if you don't trade them, youve given Timmins more chances to find you a gem.

I prefer the centre in theory if its say Forsberg vs Galchenyuk; but Yakupov to me is head and shoulders ahead of Grigorenko so I'd take him.

Ive got this draft ranked in tiers like so

1) Yakupov

2) Grigorenko

3-7) Galchenyuk, Forsberg, Dumba, Trouba, Murray (all close depends on team picking)

8-12 or 13 with Reilly, Reinhart, Faksa, Gaunce, Girgensens, etc...
I agree with your rankings of the players and after Galchenyuk I think it is pretty much a crap shoot.

If we get into the lottery I hope Gauthier makes a push for #1, I would be sad if we moved someone like Gallagher but Yakupov is perfect.

Closed Thread