HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Capitlols

vCash: 500
Didn't GMGM only consider Muller and Hunter? Inexperience either way. That's why you fire BB in the off-season.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:34 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yup. It seems that Dale the coach doesn't really preach any of the things Dale the player practiced.
That's probably the most disappointing thing about Hunter to me. I thought when he was hired we would at least change to be a hard team to play against. A team with a dose of sore loser and grit, but it's been nothing of the sort.

Schultz and Knoobs to Beantown.....sign me up.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone besides me pointing out that he might not be a very good fit.

02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
I could be wrong, but I don't remember anyone besides me pointing out that he might not be a very good fit.
Oh there were several of us that said he would need to coach at the AHL level before he's be a fit here. I always figured he'd get the Hershey job at some point if they really wanted to make him a coach here. Or an assistant or something. But jumping right from the OHL to NHL? Yeah, just terrible timing and fit.

Someone came on here days before Bruce was fired saying Dale was going to be hired...I basically called him a clown. So yeah.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:39 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's hard to sell that he's not the right guy when he doesn't have a healthy roster and his star players aren't playing up to snuff.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
I was always skeptical (afraid it'd be similar to the MacLean situation and would tarnish his rep) and figured they wouldn't hire someone with no experience to replace BB (same reason promoting French wouldn't have worked etc.) Didn't really have an idea of what the fit would be like though, didn't have enough familiarity with him from a systems perspective.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Knuble got his fair chance here in DC. He got a ton of top line time over the years. The writing on the wall was getting Brouwer and Ward. The writing on the wall may have started with the wiped out goal in game 7 vs Montreal. The sissified G contact rules really handcuffed him to do what he was brought he to do, screen the goalie. If they blow the whistle when he does what we brought him here to do... what is he supposed to do.

I was happy with his effort against TB and specifically Rollo. It just didn't work out.

I am still happy with Dale. Alzner said it himself. Hockey is a simple game. It doesnt take a genius to play or coach. Knowing no other candidates guaranteed to do better, I still stand behind Dale. He has not fallen on his face, and is still retraining the brains. Its early, and George has yet to shake up the lineup, its 15 months and ticking from being time.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 02-13-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmljeh19 View Post
Teddy already playing the injuries card

Per Whyno twitter:

"Wish us a speedy recovery to some of our players - and hope we can add some jump via the trade markets during the new few weeks."
Lol, I knew it was a matter of time before that would come out.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I most certainly was a vocal opponent of the hire.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM
SDBondra

I've got no problems with Hunter either. There have been some positives. I don't think the team will turn it around until Backstrom and Green are healthy. If anyone thought the problem with this team was Boudreau and that changing coach would magically fix things, they weren't paying attention on the ice.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:12 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleycaps98 View Post
A little smoke from Boston:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/bruins-tal...2&feedID=10428

What would be a fair return for one? Both?
Sarge and Knuble for Corvo

Old
02-13-2012, 03:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
this is why i dont comment much about potential coaches or gm's. i thought dale would be great. except i thought dale would be one thing and he turned out to be another. i guess i at least expected lindy ruff. not jacques lemaire lite

Old
02-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Jedgi

I reserve judgment until the end of the season and playoffs.

Some of you may end up looking very silly if Dale can get the Caps past the elephant that is round 2 of the playoffs.

Although I do agree, I was expecting and hoping for a more up-tempo system.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedgi View Post

Some of you may end up looking very silly if Dale can get the Caps past the elephant that is round 2 of the playoffs.

past round two? a lot of things will need to change for that to happen. i am remembering where the flyers were two season ago when lovy's game wasnt taking very well in philly.

but knowing how hard it has become to make up ground in these tight playoff races, its getting scary now that they wont even make the playoffs. taking about ecf just seems so premature

Old
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:

Same here I was def expecting a team that was hard to play against and a high octane offense. The biggest dissapointment that I have had is that the team isnt harder to play against I thought the team would play a little more like Dale did. But oh well, I think we are seeing a glimps of what he is trying to do with the offense there are times in games where it looks like they're opening it up a bit and then get reeled in quickly or that they sit back. Once we see more of a balance of that opening up I think we'll be fine. Its on GMGM to go out and nail down a 2nd line Center and then push hella hard at Suter in the offseason.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

I won't feel silly at all.

I hope it happens, but it doesn't change the fact that he was hired for purposes of nostalgia, and not much else. The team isn't any harder to play against, hasn't ramped up the physical play, aren't executing better offensively, and haven't improved their performance on the road.

The only difference has been the goaltending.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:37 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:

Has to just make the playoffs at this point.

And yeah, I do put plenty of stock into Backstrom and Green being out as a part of the struggles and don't blame him for it. But overall...Im not seeing the things from this group that we should have expected after a coaching change.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Ovi and Semin have come to life under Dale. Someone said over 10-20 games I dont remember exactly, that Ovi was on a 50 goal pace. Our goals against however boring its been, had to have improved in his tenure. We saw some signs of winning ugly, but then we lost Nick, almost undeniably our MVP this year, and probably our weakest position depth wise. So Dale is treading water. I am encouraged by the news on Green and Nick but am not doing cartwheels for riding a stationary. Regardless of those two, if Dale was brought in to win this year, George needs to be active in oh I would say T minus 14 days or so.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Jedgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
past round two? a lot of things will need to change for that to happen. i am remembering where the flyers were two season ago when lovy's game wasnt taking very well in philly.

but knowing how hard it has become to make up ground in these tight playoff races, its getting scary now that they wont even make the playoffs. taking about ecf just seems so premature
I didn't say it would happen. I merely said I was reserving judgment until the Caps season is done.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I won't feel silly at all.

I hope it happens, but it doesn't change the fact that he was hired for purposes of nostalgia, and not much else. The team isn't any harder to play against, hasn't ramped up the physical play, aren't executing better offensively, and haven't improved their performance on the road.

The only difference has been the goaltending.
I think thats a bit of a stetch....while he didnt have coaching experience above the junior level to suggest he isnt a quality hockey guy is too much. They didnt just hire some old ex-player...or even a popular ex-player. Guys get hired out of junior sometimes (and generally fail in the NHL) and this one played over 1,000 NHL games and has owned/coached a junior team for a decade.....its not like they hired Ron Weber

Old
02-13-2012, 04:15 PM
EroCaps

The team is playing better in both ends than it did under Boudreau.

The problem lay at the feet of an enormously underachieving #8, injured 52 and 19 and of course the other Russian, who despite playing well recently, has been awful most of the year and should have been dealt years ago for a C.

It doesn't help that Knuble fell off a cliff, Hendricks is fat and happy with his contract and Joel Ward is invisible most nights.

GMGM's fingerprints are all over it.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
But jumping right from the OHL to NHL? Yeah, just terrible timing and fit.

Someone came on here days before Bruce was fired saying Dale was going to be hired...I basically called him a clown. So yeah.
Most people found that pretty hard to believe. I'm not really sure he's a good enough communicator. Johnson may be for his role but that's not nearly enough, especially for this team.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Ridley Simon

It's on GMGM

What, we expected Dale Hunter to say "no George, I'm not ready to coach the Caps. You really need to get someone who has experience...call Pat Quinn"

GMGM is not capable of hiring a seasoned, veteran coach. Not at all.

Cassidy
Hanlon
Boudreau
Hunter

Dale is doing what he can. I liked the hire at the time for many of the reasons mentioned here, and I stick by that. He has changed the game for the Caps. Now its the roster that is the eyesore. Always has been.

George McPhee will ride this season out, and then hopefully get replaced. He doesnt have the marbles to fix what ails this team.

Once he's fired, he will join a floundering club ASAP (think Columbus), and will build them through the draft, and will do a good job of righting that ship. He will hoard his nuts and add a lot of young talent.

His strengths as a GM have reached the nadir for this team. He is good/great at stockpiling talent and maximizing values....but he has *NEVER* built a quality locker room, never created a dynamic chemistry, and never tried to go for the brass ring. He doesnt know how, and thats why we need a new steward.

I know this is crazy, but I would love to have Brian Burke with this roster. With all of our pieces, he'd create something that would be built to win, and now.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

More CBJ connections:

Aportzline: Told that #CBJ asst. GM Chris MacFarland and pro scout Pete Dineen are in Washington for tonight's #SJSharks vs. #Caps

Old
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Caps recall Wrecker and Holtby. Guessing Vokoun is still sick.

Closed Thread