HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10,000 seats arena confirmed in Laval, QC. Future AHL affiliate?

Old
02-13-2012, 04:22 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
10,000 seats arena confirmed in Laval, QC. Future AHL affiliate?

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/335185.html

Would be sweet to have the Bulldogs just on the north shore.

10,000 seats arena that will be called Place Bell.

Another 2 rinks as well for practices and community events.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
llamateizer

isn't already confirmed that the bulldogs will move to Laval?

cause in my head it is

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryHabs View Post
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/335185.html

Would be sweet to have the Bulldogs just on the north shore.

10,000 seats arena that will be called Place Bell.

Another 2 rinks as well for practices and community events.

It's looking good for a future AHL team. (Dogs relocation)

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
isn't already confirmed that the bulldogs will move to Laval?

cause in my head it is
Bulldogs owner denied it but he's been running around in circles. Considering he owns a share in the Habs, I am sure he won't mind the team moving to Laval.

Old
02-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

I love it, this province is building **** again!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
I love it, this province is building **** again!
Yeah with your money...my money...public money...the new Champlain bridge will be a toll bridge...fun times...and the new Quebec Arena circumvented the law to allow Quebecor first dibs on the Arena...

I like your enthusiasm but economically Quebec is fast becoming the poorest province in Canada...source...HEC professor...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ncome-gap.html

but hey I am all for keynesianism to save the Quebec economy AND invest in hockey both pro and amateur...goodness knows we would like to see Quebec talent develop and excel...

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
LyricalLyricist

Didn't read all but correct me if im wrong:

Evenko will own arena=Evenko is formerly gillette entertainment group=GEG was sold to Molson and changed name.

The arena will be named Place Bell.
The canadiens play at... Centre Bell.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:47 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
Evenko will own arena=Evenko is formerly gillette entertainment group=GEG was sold to Molson and changed name.

The arena will be named Place Bell.
The canadiens play at...the Centre Bell.
It will be a joint partnership between evenko and bell, with assistance from all three levels of government...the second rink and parts will be managed by the city of laval, as part of their municipal services.

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
It will be a joint partnership between evenko and bell.
I was more attempting to link it to potential habs affiliate than discuss the partnership.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:51 PM
MoonlightGraham

It seems it's pretty much guaranteed to me our AHL affiliate will play there. Evenko (owned by the Molson family) are funding the construction of the arena, and 10 000 seats would be too big for a junior team. On top of that, they wouldn't want to add a junior team so close to the Boisbriand Armada (their arena is around 20 minutes away from the future Place Bell, right off the 15 in Boisbriand, whereas the new Place Bell will be at the intersection of the 15 and the 440). Of course Evenko will have shows there as well, but they can't be building a 10 000 seats arena only for shows.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:52 PM
overlords
Hfboards

I just wish Bell would implode already and get it's hands off my team.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:00 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

And the owner of the Bulldogs also only part of the Habs so I see the Dogs moving there.

This could be a good thing/bad thing.

Our young players will get a feel for the city from a younger age but at the same time, while getting a feel for the city at such a young age might not be the best thing.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Bulldogs owner denied it but he's been running around in circles. Considering he owns a share in the Habs, I am sure he won't mind the team moving to Laval.
A few problems

1) There is federal funding involved in the arena. The Federal Government has made it very clear, if an AHL team is put in the arena, then the arena no longer qualifies for funding, and their portion of the cost must be paid back to them.

However a QMJHL team would be considered amateur sport, and would not run a foul of the Federal Government's no pro sports funding mandate. As such is it worth it to buy out the Feds and put in an AHL team, when you could put a QMJHL team there instead and not have to worry about buying out the Federal Government?

2) Michael Andaleur has also made it clear, the Bulldogs are not leaving Hamilton. If the Habs want there AHL affiliate in Laval, they will have to find another AHL team to move their and switch affiliations. He's not leaving Hamilton, and the Bulldogs will remain there, whether they are the Habs affiliate or they need to look for another NHL affiliation. Here is a guy who just made a **** load of cash on the outdoor game.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
A few problems

1) There is federal funding involved in the arena. The Federal Government has made it very clear, if an AHL team is put in the arena, then the arena no longer qualifies for funding, and their portion of the cost must be paid back to them.

However a QMJHL team would be considered amateur sport, and would not run a foul of the Federal Government's no pro sports funding mandate. As such is it worth it to buy out the Feds and put in an AHL team, when you could put a QMJHL team there instead and not have to worry about buying out the Federal Government?

2) Michael Andaleur has also made it clear, the Bulldogs are not leaving Hamilton. If the Habs want there AHL affiliate in Laval, they will have to find another AHL team to move their and switch affiliations. He's not leaving Hamilton, and the Bulldogs will remain there, whether they are the Habs affiliate or they need to look for another NHL affiliation. Here is a guy who just made a **** load of cash on the outdoor game.
The arena is going to be built without federal funding. The cost is 120M$: 46M$ from Quebec government, 42M$ from Laval and 32M$ from Evenko/Bell.

And as you said the Canadiens can always find another AHL team and move it to Laval if the Bulldogs are staying in Hamilton.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:22 PM

Laval Chiefs?

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:26 PM
wjhl2009fan

Does the community support this project or is there some push back?

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:41 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Does the community support this project or is there some push back?
It's a go.

No federal government funding.

Old
02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Yeah with your money...my money...public money...the new Champlain bridge will be a toll bridge...fun times...and the new Quebec Arena circumvented the law to allow Quebecor first dibs on the Arena...

I like your enthusiasm but economically Quebec is fast becoming the poorest province in Canada...source...HEC professor...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ncome-gap.html

but hey I am all for keynesianism to save the Quebec economy AND invest in hockey both pro and amateur...goodness knows we would like to see Quebec talent develop and excel...
My GAWD... why is it that people systematically refuse to factor in the cost of living?

There is not one place in North America where your dollar brings you more than in Quebec. A 400K house in Montreal would cost 1,2M$ in New York and 750K$ in Toronto. A lot of people who used to live in Ottawa are currently buying houses in Hull for that reason.

Each nation/society's goals and objectives are different. Let me give you an example: there is a lot of fossil resources in Quebec (Saint-Laurent valley) but we, as a society, decided not to exploit it until we find an intelligent way (not harmful to public health and environment) to do it. In Alberta, they decided to do it differently and strangely most economic studies do not consider the social costs associated with their decision. Refusing to internalize ALL the costs associated with a project is an old habit from the past century.

That being mentioned, Montreal, roughly 50% of the population of Quebec, needs to step up: they badly need a new leadership.

----------------------

Back to the OP...

Evenko and Bell are behind the project and both organisations have strong links with the Montreal Canadiens so I also expect the Dogs to be moved soon to Laval. From a hockey perspective (easier to follow the prospects, emergency call ups...) it would make sense.

Quote:
A few problems

(...)
As mentioned by Seymour Skinner (the poster!), there is NO federal funding involved in the arena.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-13-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Aeneas

Being a little biased here but...

Bulldogs affiliation ends with the Habs after next season, the arena in laval will be ready in 2014, cant see any city ( including hamilton) signing an affliation for only 1 or 2 year deal with the habs, so for my sake i hope they stay in hamilton, but in any city it would likely be a 5 year deal, in all likelihood habs affiliation will probably end up in laval, but i dont think it will be right when the arena is done

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Being a little biased here but...

Bulldogs affiliation ends with the Habs after next season, the arena in laval will be ready in 2014, cant see any city ( including hamilton) signing an affliation for only 1 or 2 year deal with the habs, so for my sake i hope they stay in hamilton, but in any city it would likely be a 5 year deal, in all likelihood habs affiliation will probably end up in laval, but i dont think it will be right when the arena is done
I am sure the Habs will be able to find a place for them for 1 season (2013-2014) before the arena is ready.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Aeneas

Quote:
I am sure the Habs will be able to find a place for them for 1 season (2013-2014) before the arena is ready.
I spoke with someone i know who works for the dogs when the rumors about laval surfaced and his feeling was no city would want an affiliation for just one season, however i have no information on if that has ever happened in the past

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Beakermania*

There were major problems with attendance for the Montreal Junior in Verdun... why do people assume Laval would draw?

Remember that the reason the AHL affiliate is in Hamilton to begin with is because a QMJHL team worked better in Quebec City than an AHL one did.

This is common throughout Canada. OHL, QMJHL, WHL teams have always drawn bigger attendance than AHL teams.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
There were major problems with attendance for the Montreal Junior in Verdun... why do people assume Laval would draw?

Remember that the reason the AHL affiliate is in Hamilton to begin with is because a QMJHL team worked better in Quebec City than an AHL one did.

This is common throughout Canada. OHL, QMJHL, WHL teams have always drawn bigger attendance than AHL teams.
Strictly because Quebec city (one of the wealthiest city in North America during the last 10 years) does not want to be the farm city of Montreal. In the Montreal region, the AHL farm would draw a lot of interest imo.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Strictly because Quebec city (one of the wealthiest city in North America during the last 10 years) does not want to be the farm city of Montreal. In the Montreal region, the AHL farm would draw a lot of interest imo.
Hard to say...

Oilers AHL team failed in Edmonton.

Crowds for the Marlies in Toronto suck, and are generally worse than what Mississauga draws in the OHL.

The CHL teams have an advantage.

Its a heck of a lot easier to create a rivalry between say Laval and the Armada, or with Drummondville, or with a number of teams in Quebec, then it would be to create a rivalry between Laval and the Albany River Rats of Upstate New York. Geography reasons for that.

Plus a QMJHL team will get the opportunity to see guys like Crosby when he's a 16-17 year old, or MacKinnon or Grigorenko. AHL players may be guys like Louis Leblanc, but the true superstars like Sidney and MacKinnon will bypass the AHL and go straight to the NHL.

The Bulldogs draw great as a novelty twice a year in the Bell Centre, but I'm not sure they'll draw for 40+ games a year in a rink that is a lot farther away from downtown Montreal.

Old
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Hard to say...

Oilers AHL team failed in Edmonton.

Crowds for the Marlies in Toronto suck, and are generally worse than what Mississauga draws in the OHL.

The CHL teams have an advantage.

Its a heck of a lot easier to create a rivalry between say Laval and the Armada, then it would be to create a rivalry between Laval and the Albany River Rats of Upstate New York. Geography reasons for that.

Plus a QMJHL team will get the opportunity to see guys like Crosby when he's a 16-17 year old, or MacKinnon or Grigorenko. AHL players may be guys like Louis Leblanc, but the true superstars like Sidney and MacKinnon will bypass the AHL and go straight to the NHL.

The Bulldogs draw great as a novelty twice a year in the Bell Centre, but I'm not sure they'll draw for 40+ games a year in a rink that is a lot farther away from downtown Montreal.
Maybe you are right (especially regarding the rivalries) but Evenko, Bell and the city of Laval seem to think it would draw. We will see.

Btw, are things going well in terms of attendance in Hamilton?