HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What if the New CBA allows an Amnesty?

View Poll Results: If the new CBA allows one Amnesty over the next few seasons I like it to be:
Pronger 16 34.04%
Bryzgalov 21 44.68%
Another Player (Please name) 2 4.26%
Nobody; hold onto option for a later season 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
We should erase this pipedream from our minds before we're all extremely disappointed.
Yeah, I don't think this even happens unless they do something that affects cap structure.

02-13-2012, 06:07 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I wouldn't use it at all right now.

02-13-2012, 06:15 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Depending on how the Amnesty works (If this great, golden dream ever even happens)...perhaps we could buy out Pronger, use the amnesty on his buyout, and then keep him in the wings. If he gets better, sign him for 1 year contracts.

Bryz though...yuck. 8 more years of that contract with a NMC is insanity. A goalie with a high cap hit who performs badly can be much more of a detriment than an underperforming forward, who can usually at least contribute in some way. If Briere's offense drops off the map though, he suddenly becomes just as detrimental.

This isn't an easy choice.
Does amnesty mean canceling the contract so the team no longer even has to pay it or just not having it count against the cap? I was thinking it meant the latter.

I'd hold off on using it unless due to some magic another unlikely thing happens and we have a real crack at Suter and can't afford him without using it. There is the small chance Pronger comes back, so I think it would be appropriate to at least wait through over 2/3 of next season before a decision is made on that front. Bryzgalov may improve this season or the next so we might as well wait.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 02-13-2012 at 06:21 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Does amnesty mean canceling the contract or just not having it count against the cap? I was thinking it meant the latter.
I can't see any way the NHLPA would allow a contract to be nixed, I imagine it's only cap related. Player likely gets paid what is owed. I don't remember how the last amnesty worked.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Does amnesty mean canceling the contract or just not having it count against the cap? I was thinking it meant the latter.
It would have to be the 2nd. The NHL doesn't have the legal right to void a contract between two entities. It can, however, change the way that contract is treated against the salary cap.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'd say see how Bryz does for the rest of this season and the next and possibly the next before the amnesty should be thought of for him. Since Pronger is on LTIR, it doesn't matter when he's out and if he can play again, then that's even better news for us. For right now, there is no one I want the amnesty for.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:30 PM
dawkins121

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If they don't have to use it right away, then don't use it right away.
Yeah this definitely if it's an option. If they can wait another year like the NBA allowed to see how Bryz is panning out and what the deal with Pronger is and what Danny looks like after next season the decision would be much easier I think. I forgot that the NHL lockout had a "buyout period" while the NBA amnesty clause has a longer time limit. Don't know which one they would go with if something like this did happen.

dawkins121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bryzgalovsky*

you think the flyers organization has that much money sitting around to pay bryzgalov off?

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SolidSnakeUS

Basically fix the defense problems we have this coming off-season and see where it takes us.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:31 PM
iamcanadian23

Bryzgalov, little to do with his play - but largely due to the contract. Didn't like it in the first place, and have always hated Pronger's. This team needs to be protected from themselves with these long contracts that will keep players way past their prime, hope the amnesty clause comes true and we see limited contract length too.

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Does amnesty mean canceling the contract so the team no longer even has to pay it or just not having it count against the cap? I was thinking it meant the latter.

I'd hold off on using it unless due to some magic another unlikely thing happens and we have a real crack at Suter and can't afford him without using it. There is the small chance Pronger comes back, so I think it would be appropriate to at least wait through over 2/3 of next season before a decision is made on that front. Bryzgalov may improve this season or the next so we might as well wait.
Quote:
I can't see any way the NHLPA would allow a contract to be nixed, I imagine it's only cap related. Player likely gets paid what is owed. I don't remember how the last amnesty worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
It would have to be the 2nd. The NHL doesn't have the legal right to void a contract between two entities. It can, however, change the way that contract is treated against the salary cap.
The way I understand it is that the money is still paid out but he is no longer tied to the team in any other way... so the Cap is no longer effected... This of course is a big cash hit. I would imagine it can be a write-off on their corporate taxes... An Organization would have to really think before casting off such a large Cap hit on Bryz... but on Pronger, they aren't getting anything anyway and only gaining the ability to spend more while on LTIR. Losing Bryz would mean he has to be replaced; Pronger will be replaced anyway... as long as he cannot play.

An interesting question is would contract clauses be able to be overridden legally... although a player would have to be a fool to not take the full remaining salary and still be able to get additional salary over the same time period he would have made it originally... I don't see any player fighting for the clause to be upheld. LOL

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

It's undefined because it doesn't exist yet. We're just calling an amnesty clause because that's what the NBA did.

The NHL had a similar period coming out of the last lockout, where you could buy out players no strings attached, just no one just put a name on it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

if nothing changes, Pronger w/o question

who do you guys want to replace Bryz with? Bob? ya, he's definitely better.....

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
iamcanadian23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
who do you guys want to replace Bryz with? Bob? ya, he's definitely better.....
You could replace average with average, and save a ton of money.
He might not be better, but why pay someone ridiculous cash to do the same job?

iamcanadian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Hmm. I wonder if any other team fantasizes about an amnesty clause as much as the Flyers fanbase?
Hummm, Gomez???

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Le Oranje

It's a shame we can only pick one because both Bryz and Briere need to be.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:20 AM
dats81

Buyout Bryz? Insane money spent for 1 ****** season.
Can't wait to see him sign with the Debbies or Bolts winning a Vezina right after being kicked by the Flyers

If Pronger is really done a buyout would seal this chapter - no more speculation about him returning at some point. A chance to pick a new C.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:36 AM
John Flyers Fan

No reason to buy Pronger out, LTIR fixes that issue.

It comes down to Briere or Bryz.

I would see if their is a possible deal out there for Briere this summer.

If not, I would use it on him. We need to get bigger, and that $6.5 million over three years would really help to add in pieces we need.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:57 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post

If not, I would use it on him. We need to get bigger, and that $6.5 million over three years would really help to add in pieces we need.
So why do we need a 5.6M goalie for next 8 years that cannot stop the puck?

Briere may retire 2 years from now. He might be very well opened to trade a year from now.. His contract is basically paid off.

At least he can still play in playoffs once in a while..

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:00 AM
facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
you think the flyers organization has that much money sitting around to pay bryzgalov off?
Mr. Snider has that at home.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
McNasty

Quote:

It's also fair to speculate there might be changes made to players not retiring but staying on LTIR because it's a better deal for them and the team. Ultimately Pronger bring uncertainty, if (and I don't think there is a high chance of it) Pronger attempts a comeback and gets medically cleared he's back on the books and that throws a huge wrench into the cap situation.

Bryzgalov, despite the fact that I think he can rebound, is at least cap certainty. If we were assured Pronger is never going to play again, and the league isn't going to challenge him sitting on IR for 5 years then it's a tougher decision.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:

not true. having him on LTIR still means he takes up a contract spot, hurts us when it comes ot acquiring a player at the deadline, and also hurts us in the off season (10% rule)

Old
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
FlyersFan61290

Pronger on LTIR, if nothing changes in the new CBA regarding injury reserve, can take care of that problem. I know there is still the matter of the 10% overage allowance in the offseason that he would count against but 10% of 64.3 mil (current cap ceiling) is obviously 6.43 mil which is enough to cover Pronger's cap hit plus a little extra. And I know he still takes up a contract but you can always free one up if need be (getting rid of some younger guy who is never gonna make it anyway). As far as Bryz goes i'm confident that with a few tweaks in personnel and maybe our system, Bryz will return to being a top 10 goalie in the league. Which brings me to my final point, Briere's 6.5 mil could almost completely pay for Suter if he's available this off-season (I'm thinking he gets around 7.5 per). With all the depth up front I think this is the best option.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Pronger on LTIR, if nothing changes in the new CBA regarding injury reserve, can take care of that problem. I know there is still the matter of the 10% overage allowance in the offseason that he would count against but 10% of 64.3 mil (current cap ceiling) is obviously 6.43 mil which is enough to cover Pronger's cap hit plus a little extra. And I know he still takes up a contract but you can always free one up if need be (getting rid of some younger guy who is never gonna make it anyway). As far as Bryz goes i'm confident that with a few tweaks in personnel and maybe our system, Bryz will return to being a top 10 goalie in the league. Which brings me to my final point, Briere's 6.5 mil could almost completely pay for Suter if he's available this off-season (I'm thinking he gets around 7.5 per). With all the depth up front I think this is the best option.
If Suter gets $7.5m I say **** that. He isnt worth more than Timonen IMO

Old
02-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
If Suter gets $7.5m I say **** that. He isnt worth more than Timonen IMO
Kimmo has not been very good lately. He has taken a huge step back the past two years. Suter would be a godsend for this team.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote