HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev not scoring enough?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 01:17 PM
KOVALEV10*

vCash: 500
Kovalev not scoring enough?

8 Goals in 29 games for a former 44 goal scorer in the dead puck era. He hasn't scored in 10 games. In the last 8 games he has totalled only 10 shots. That's only 1.25 shots per game. What's wrong? A guy like him shouldn't have slumps that last that long.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:25 PM
KingJarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
8 Goals in 29 games for a former 44 goal scorer in the dead puck era. He hasn't scored in 10 games. In the last 8 games he has totalled only 10 shots. That's only 1.25 shots per game. What's wrong? A guy like him shouldn't have slumps that last that long.
Well, the whole team fell apart the last ten games. I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Besides, he got two points yesterday... didn't he? I think he'll be just fine.

Besides, he's a point a game player and has only been held off the scoresheet in 10 games. He really makes things happen out there, and on top of that he played the first part of the season on a bum knee. Plus, he came back a week or so early from that same injury.

Kingjarl

Old
01-15-2006, 01:28 PM
CLEGHORN

Quote:
He's not the only one.Ryder and Koivu no point's on the top line.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:29 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarl
Well, the whole team fell apart the last ten games. I wouldn't put too much stock into that. Besides, he got two points yesterday... didn't he? I think he'll be just fine.

Kingjarl
Great players score no matter if the team is playing well... at least more then nothing in 10 games.

Old
01-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
The seasons he had a lot of goals were the seasons he was playing for a wide open team that had no chance of winning anything. He would probably just float around until he got the puck. All I gotta say now, is bravo to the habs coaches for making him a two way forward.

Old
01-15-2006, 04:33 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
The seasons he had a lot of goals were the seasons he was playing for a wide open team that had no chance of winning anything. He would probably just float around until he got the puck. All I gotta say now, is bravo to the habs coaches for making him a two way forward.

Well Kovy is playing very well defensivly, he backs checks and always wins the battles by the boards.. But I agree, Kovy must socre more.

Old
01-15-2006, 04:58 PM
x-bob

I agree that Kovalev should score a lot more but I guess he is not taking enough shots. He is always looking for the pass first or the shots that he is taking are going wide. I beleive that he can still improve for us this season and playlike he did during the beggining of the season.

Old
01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
TroyM

Considering he's on pace for less than 20 goals this season, you bet your *** he has to score more. He's playing well, but for a superstar calibre player earning 4.5 million, 19 goals is not going to leave a pleasant taste in my mouth. He certainly is fun to watch, and he has had some amazing games but he needs to put the puck in the back of the net way more often, here's hoping last night was no fluke and this team can start scoring in bunches a few more times, and then I'm confident he'll see his total rising.

Old
01-15-2006, 05:04 PM
KLu

Send a message via MSN to KLu
Is it me or he doesn't seem to have completely regain all his speed. He skated fluidly but he doesn't seem to have acceleration at all ? Once or twice a game he gets easily beat by a defensemen when he tries to outpass him...

Old
01-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLu
Is it me or he doesn't seem to have completely regain all his speed. He skated fluidly but he doesn't seem to have acceleration at all ? Once or twice a game he gets easily beat by a defensemen when he tries to outpass him...

kovy has been ruffed up pretty good the last few games. like against ottawa he got nailed a few times real solidly(open ice hits) and against the sharks he got rocked again pretty big ( open ice hits)

now as i keep repeating myself we need a guy who will take down numbers and make sure who ever drills kovy thinks twice next time . he is taking alot of abuse latley only will be a matter of time before he is out again if it continues .other team seem to be focusing on kovy which is a good stratgey with a weak team who has not alot of ruff guys

Old
01-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
his 44 goal, 95 pt season was when the pens went to the conference finals. i wouldn't call that "no chance of winning anything".

from the games i've seen, it looks like he's lost a little speed from years past.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
8 Goals in 29 games
Or 29 points in 29 games.
Case closed, move over.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:17 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned
Well Kovy is playing very well defensivly, he backs checks and always wins the battles by the boards.. But I agree, Kovy must socre more.
Even if it is important for players to back check... I think its more important for Kovalev to score goals. Hopefully the Gainey system will resolve this problem as well as others with other players.

"Move the puck up ice, not backwards!!" -Gainey

Old
01-15-2006, 08:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Watch the games and you'll see that Kovalev always gets special attention when he's on the ice. I can almost hear the opposing coaches tell their players to hit him or salow him up at every opportunity.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:00 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Or 29 points in 29 games.
Case closed, move over.
We didn't need someone who could rack up assists when we got Kovy, we needed someone who could put the puck in the back of the net. Unfortunetely, he hasn't filled that role yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time (or at least I hope).

Old
01-15-2006, 09:29 PM
marvelousmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
We didn't need someone who could rack up assists when we got Kovy, we needed someone who could put the puck in the back of the net. Unfortunetely, he hasn't filled that role yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time (or at least I hope).
His role has been different. If you guys haven't noticed, he's always the one on his line battling for the puck in corners. Nobody really passes him the puck when he is near the crease. He often gets the puck when he is either behind the net or near the corners so he can't really get good shots at the goalie. That's one of the reasons why he's racking up a lot more assists than goals.

Also, he's always the one carrying the puck into the offensive zone so he's making the first pass. Unfortunately for him, he rarely gets it back for different reasons; either opponents are paying special attention to him or he just does not get it back playing with players like Zednik and Ryder that are known for shooting a lot.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:31 PM
KOVALEV10*

It would be 7 goals if Belfour hadn't given the puck away and let an empty net for Kovalev.. 7 in 29 sounds even worse. Even Ribs and Begin have more goals.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:57 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inf4mous_1
His role has been different. If you guys haven't noticed, he's always the one on his line battling for the puck in corners. Nobody really passes him the puck when he is near the crease. He often gets the puck when he is either behind the net or near the corners so he can't really get good shots at the goalie. That's one of the reasons why he's racking up a lot more assists than goals.

Also, he's always the one carrying the puck into the offensive zone so he's making the first pass. Unfortunately for him, he rarely gets it back for different reasons; either opponents are paying special attention to him or he just does not get it back playing with players like Zednik and Ryder that are known for shooting a lot.
The problem that I'm having with Kovy is that he tried too many inaffective plays such as deking 3 defenceman to get into the zone and such. I've noticed that although he's supposed to be a winger he ALWAYS goes through the middle of their zone when he's carrying the puck. He plays on a line with Koivu, so it's not like every player he's on with is selfish, it just seems that he'd rather make flashy moves (and lose the puck 90% of the time) than take a shot.

Closed Thread