HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Empathizing with Ales Hemsky

Old
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Klaus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He's hardly "being thrown under the bus". He's still well liked in Edmonton...
Well would you look at that....

The past few months the sentiment about this player from the, to steal a phrase from Replacement, "frothing at the mouth" armchair GM's and psychologists has been nothing but.

But it's not surprising, as Little Fury has stated. The fickle fan-base in this city turns on players on a dime and has a proven track record of running numerous people out of town.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live4Dogs View Post

The past few months the sentiment about this player from the, to steal a phrase from Replacement, "frothing at the mouth" armchair GM's and psychologists has been nothing but.

But it's not surprising, as Little Fury has stated. The fickle fan-base in this city turns on players on a dime and has a proven track record of running numerous people out of town.
*Cue Narnia's rant*

Actually, she finally has a point haha

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:30 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2700
Quote:

People have been against Hemsky for more than just this year. This isn't something that just happened last week.

I've heard for years wait until Hemsky is healthy, wait until he has players to play with. Where exactly has that taken us this year? Or should I wait another 15 years until it takes his shoulders to be completely healed?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Klaus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Nilsson View Post
*Cue Narnia's rant*

Actually, she finally has a point haha
Who are you talking to? And what in the world does this have to do with Chronicles of Narnia?

Good job on completely losing me.

Klaus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

Again I don't buy this at all.

Just because a few posters have a differing opinion on a message board doesn't mean that the litmus test for the entire fanbase.

By and large, go talk to Oiler fans at any Oiler game. People love Hemsky, especially a lot of the younger kids because he's their tie to the 2006 run. When/if he is traded I think there's going to be a lot of upset and sad fans, not so much the "thank goodness that bum is gone".

Just because some people are disappointed un his play this year doesn't mean he's hated in Edmonton or being run out of town. Ales himself should be disappointed. He hasn't played well.

Logically even I feel he should be traded just because of asset management, but every time he has a great shift, my heart skips a beat (lol). I think a lot of the Oilers fan base is in this same boat.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Little Fury

Quote:
Again I don't buy this at all.

Just because a few posters have a differing opinion on a message board doesn't mean that the litmus test for the entire fanbase.

By and large, go talk to Oiler fans at any Oiler game. People love Hemsky, especially a lot of the younger kids because he's their tie to the 2006 run. When/if he is traded I think there's going to be a lot of upset and sad fans, not so much the "thank goodness that bum is gone".

Just because some people are disappointed un his play this year doesn't mean he's hated in Edmonton or being run out of town. Ales himself should be disappointed. He hasn't played well.

Logically even I feel he should be traded just because of asset management, but every time he has a great shift, my heart skips a beat (lol). I think a lot of the Oilers fan base is in this same boat.
Not speaking to the fanbase as a whole, but there have been a spate of MSM pieces of late where guys like Spector, Stauffer, Matheson have tied the can to Hemmer. he's lazy, he's an injury waiting to happen, he's -gasp!- bad in interviews!

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
Not speaking to the fanbase as a whole, but there have been a spate of MSM pieces of late where guys like Spector, Stauffer, Matheson have tied the can to Hemmer. he's lazy, he's an injury waiting to happen, he's -gasp!- bad in interviews!
Being questioned while playing poorly by a few media members is hardly "being run out of town".

Even when our media is "critical" it's laughably softball. The media here is not hard on the players at all. Even in Calgary they were far harder on Phaneuf, in Ottawa they were all over Spezza. Luongo gets it constantly in Vancouver when ever he plays bad. Evander Kane is getting heat for off-ice issues in Winnipeg already. Montreal? Well ... nuff said.

All Ales has to do to get those same media members frothing at the mouth is put together 2 good games in a row really. Edmonton is not bad anymore at all honestly. The media is a mouthpiece for the franchise itself, Dustin Penner likely wishes he was back here, where aside from a few bad months with Mac T (who was promptly fired after the season), he was generally coddled here.

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-13-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old
02-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Being questioned while playing poorly by a few media members is hardly "being run out of town".

Even when our media is "critical" it's laughably softball. The media here is not hard on the players at all. Even in Calgary they were far harder on Phaneuf, in Ottawa they were all over Spezza. Luongo gets it constantly in Vancouver when ever he plays bad. Evander Kane is getting heat for off-ice issues in Winnipeg already. Montreal? Well ... nuff said.

All Ales has to do to get those same media members frothing at the mouth is put together 2 good games in a row really. Edmonton is not bad anymore at all honestly. The media is a mouthpiece for the franchise itself, Dustin Penner likely wishes he was back here, where aside from a few bad months with Mac T (who was promptly fired after the season), he was generally coddled here.
The media is laughably softball with management, not the players on their way out. Important distinction.

Jek McPorkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Baby Nilsson

Quote:
Who are you talking to? And what in the world does this have to do with Chronicles of Narnia?

Good job on completely losing me.
Sorry I was sort of agreeing with you.. Narnia is a poster here. If you haven't heard of her you haven't been here very long..

Baby Nilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
The media is laughably softball with management, not the players on their way out. Important distinction.
Really? Like who in the last five, six years have they given a hard time to?

Half the media was still joking around with Souray even after he publicly demanded a trade out. Penner's media sessions were like stand up comedy routines with the reporters lapping it up.

Edmonton is probably the softest market in Canada these days for media pressure.

Calgary (Phaneuf, even Iginla gets his share of cat calls ... in Edmonton you'd get hung for that if he was an Oiler), Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, even probably Winnipeg are harder on players in general.

In Edmonton basically as long as you don't bad mouth the city and show up at the rink on time, you're already in most people's good books, especially after the Pronger debacle. And even there, when Pronger came back, the media was polite and let him off the hook with the "family issues" thing relatively easy.

Old
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Really? Like who in the last five, six years have they given a hard time to?

Half the media was still joking around with Souray even after he publicly demanded a trade out. Penner's media sessions were like stand up comedy routines with the reporters lapping it up.

Edmonton is probably the softest market in Canada these days for media pressure.

Calgary (Phaneuf, even Iginla gets his share of cat calls ... in Edmonton you'd get hung for that if he was an Oiler), Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, even probably Winnipeg are harder on players in general.

In Edmonton basically as long as you don't bad mouth the city and show up at the rink on time, you're already in most people's good books, especially after the Pronger debacle. And even there, when Pronger came back, the media was polite and let him off the hook with the "family issues" thing relatively easy.

Totally agree. Edmonton has to have the softest media of all Canadian cities. Fans may rag on players, management or coaches may rag on them, but if you want the closest thing to a free ride, play in Edmonton.

And for the record, just because some people desire to move a player because of their perception of his injuries or performance, does not necessarily translate into a hatred of the player. I'm tired of hearing the crying from some people that there is nothing but a hate on for this player. While that may be true for some (and we all may be guilty of not liking any particular player for various reasons), please don't paint the rest of us with your silly little brushes. I've never met Hemsky, so I have no fair comment on whether he's a good guy or bad guy. From what little I've seen and read, he appears quiet and a decent person. That does not change the fact I'd like them to move him due to his injury history and the possiblity of getting stuck with a big long contract with nothing to show for it. We already have one or those.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 12257
I'm okay with trading Hemsky because:

Tambi most likely wants a short term contract. 1 year $5.5M.

Hemsky most likely wants a 4+ year deal @ minimum $5.5M/per.

Neither will get what he wants and so Tambi is on the clock. His hand is forced and must trade the asset before the deadline.

Hemsky is in no hurry, he can test the FA waters in July and either get his deal (or better) or sign a short term deal with any team he wants to try out for.

Tambi can't win unless Hemsky wants to try out for the Oilers again.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote