Notices

Who Should Have Atlanta Taken in '99?

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 01:02 PM
Heater15

vCash: 500
Who Should Have Atlanta Taken in '99?

I think the majority of us are in agreeance when we say the best player was not taken 1st overll in 99. Akthough Stefan is no write off, his defenseive play is really picking up, who would you like to see in Stefan's place instead today? There were some good players available.

Daniel Sedin
Henrik Sedin
Taylor Pyatt
Jamie Lundmark
Jani Rita
Jeff Jillson
David Tanabe
Barrett Jackman
Nick Boynton
Martin Havlat
Jordan Leopold

Back then I would have probably went with Jamie Lundmark.
Right now its a toss up with Martin Havlat, Barrett Jackman, and Jordan Leopold. The edge goes to the d-men. Jackman and Exelby as a defensive pairing would be crazy ass scary. On the other hand Leopold would look really good on the PP and become the offensive d-man we dont have. I've watched him play a few games live and he was the best d-man out there (Ohlund, Jovo, Brewer, Smith were other d-men playing)

Who would you guys pick back at draft day and right now?

Old
10-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Dr Love

Jackman or Havlat. The Sedins aren't really an option because they were only going to one team together and the Thrashers didn't have the resources to make a deal to get a pick to take them.

Old
10-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Voynich

At the time Stefan was the correct pick. Everyone forgets that at the time he was being compared to a young Jagr. I would have made the same pick at the time.

Who would I have chose with hindsight, Havlat.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voynich
At the time Stefan was the correct pick. Everyone forgets that at the time he was being compared to a young Jagr. I would have made the same pick at the time.

Who would I have chose with hindsight, Havlat.
I disagree. At the time all the hype (I believe) was that Pavel Brendl was going to go number 1. What they said about Stefan is that he was a very good prospect but he would be a risky pick for teams given the concussions he had IHL. Even in '99 scouts were very sceptic about Stefan and his upside as in scouting reports they commented on his strengths (size, speed, etc) but not neccessary on his offensive capabilities so it was hard to really picture what type of player he will become. I remember one scout said that he would most likely develop into a player that gets 20 goals and maybe 40 assists so I don't know why they would compare him to Jagr. However what they did say that he was the most ready prospect for the NHL given his IHL experience so that might have been looked highly by Waddell.

At the time, I was slightly disappointment at the selection as I believed Brendl, Sedins, Lundmark, Beech, Pyatt were a better pick. Obviously Jackman, Havlat, Leopold, Boynton and Comrie have become very good players from the same draft but none of them were ever touted as a number 1 pick so you can't say that I would of chosen Havlat or Jackman back then. In hindsight Stefan, at the start of the season, had become an on par or better player than Brendl, Sedins, Lundmark, Beech, Connolly, Pyatt (all of which could of gone number 1). However since the season started the Sedins and Pyatt have gone past him due to their good start and improved play while Stefan has sort of regressed after an encouraging season in 2002/2003.

I still believe Stefan can reach his 20 goal 40 assist potential but time is running out fast and he better pick up his game quick smart or his gone. I got this feeling that if we trade him it will shake him up and he will start producing for his new team. Confidence is the major flaw is Stefan's game without a doubt.

Old
10-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Voynich

At one point in time I had saved a fairly good selection of Thrashers clippings from back then around the expansion but I've no idea where they are now. I did have some reports, albeit from the Atlanta media, with statements of how Stefan was going to be the cornerstone of the franchise with Jagr-like upside. I'm not saying those reports were anywhere near being accurate, but thats what I remember. For some reason I think it was either put out there as "what the organization/DW thinks" or "what the experts think".

Hell, it was 5 years ago, I barely remember what I did yesterday.

Old
10-28-2003, 04:34 PM
Blatny Spears

Actually, Stefan was considered by most to be the best prospect in the draft (assuming the concussions weren't an issue) believe it or not. Brendl and the Sedins were expected to make up the top four, which is eventually what happened.

I still have my Red Line Report draft guide and they say Patrik was hands down the #1 player and ready to step in to the league right away. Brendl had a better shot, but Patrik had everything else.

In hindsight, I have no problems with the selection when you look at the players who were considered realistic candidates for the pick. Of course, when you factor in the entire draft, guys like Havlat, Comrie, Zetterberg and others look much better, but I think it's kind of silly to blame DW and company for not picking one of those players instead. If Brendl had turned out to be a stud, I could understand taking DW to task over the Stefan selection.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Stefan in the next few months. Much has been made of the work Hartley has done to improve Kovalchuk's game. It's no secret he's turned his attention to Patty in the past week. Let's hope he can work wonders there. Patty's shown he has some good skills; it's is head that's holding him back - and concussions have nothing to do with it, ironically enough. It's all confidence and intensity.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Here's some articles I found about Stefan and the 99 draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...trydraft_main/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...raft_capsules/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...iew/index.html

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?sid=4637

http://members.tripod.com/~Mr_Shark/cbs/jun-sep.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Buffal...e/627?source=1

It seems the consensus was Stefan was the number one choice for first pick at the time.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

I believe THN had Brendl rated as their top prospect that year. I was very wary back then of Stefan not only as a high first rounder, let alone the top overall pick, but a guy to start a franchise around because of the concussion issues. Of course Brendl was the guy I really liked back then. As I recall, the feeling was that there was Stefan, Brendl, the Sedins, and then picks 5 through whatever. That is to say, the players in the top 4 were clearly defined and the first pick wouldn't have been from outside that group. In retrospect, Pyatt looks like he would've been a nice fit. My two cents, for what it's worth.

Old
10-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Proffessor G DIDDY

That had to be one of the worst draft classes ever. I think lack of talent in 97,98 and 99 pool are a big reason for a lack talent in the league. But the 2001, 03 draft were both extremely good, I think the 2004 draft class and 05 class are very good as well. 5 years down the road, there' will be more talented youngster in the NHL than today.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:30 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffessor G DIDDY
That had to be one of the worst draft classes ever. I think lack of talent in 97,98 and 99 pool are a big reason for a lack talent in the league.

1997 is on par with 2001 at THE VERY LEAST. The tops of the class are downright scary. Joe Thornton is one of the two potentially dominant force in the middle. He's already great and still not in his prime.

Ever heard of Roberto Luongo. Again, a guy who is just great as a 24 years old doing great on a crappy team in Florida.

Samsonov, Marian Hossa and Brenden Morrow are three young forwards already doing well in this league. "Doing well" in the case of Marian Hossa is probably the understatement of the year. The guy is a future all-star and one of the best forwards in the game.

Jokinen ain't Gretzky but he has bursted unto the scene and is a player.

Brewer and Marleau have shown good things and I would say they are solid picks. Nick Boynton is progressing very nicely and is an integral part of Boston's future.

Paul Mara took his time but he may end up being the best defenseman of all those I mentioned so far after a slow progression. He is doing an amazing job this year.

Picked later in the drafts were players like Huselius, Tallinder, Afinogenov. Some of them showing pretty nice things!

What more do you want exactly? Taking in consideration that defensemen and goalies take longer to develop, I'd say 1997 is on schedule to be one of the better drafts of the last 10 years!

1998 had the only young center who can probably rival with Thornton: Vinny Lecavalier.

Legwang is doing well, although he ain't a favorite of mine.

Brad Stuart is just amazing. He's had a string of bad lucks and injuries. He's just the complete package as far as offense, defense and physical play goes.

Alex Tanguay, Simon Gagne and Brad Richards are three Q forwards who have already enjoyed impressive success. They came in the league in short order and established themselves as key players on the scoring lines.

Jiri Fischer made the deep Wings right away and is a beast. Scott Gomez came right away and was great with the deep Devils. Skoula established himself early with the Avs. All three players have been very good and already are cup winners!

Vishnevski, Allen, Regehr, Kalinin, Van Ryn, Vaananen are all young defensemen who have shown various degrees of abilities but should o well in this league.

Antropov, Arkhipov, Ribeiro, Berglund... lots of good players.

Drafted in the 6th round of 1998: Pavel Datsyuk and Andrei Markov, two of the smartest young players at their respective positions.

The bottom line is 1998 is one of the better drafts I have EVER witnessed. It has very good top talents and insane *quality* depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proffessor G DIDDY
But the 2001, 03 draft were both extremely good, I think the 2004 draft class and 05 class are very good as well. 5 years down the road, there' will be more talented youngster in the NHL than today.
What the HELL are you talking about? What makes you think 1997/1998 are such poor quality compared to 01/03? Can I have some of what you're on?

I noticed you skipped 2000 as well and went directly to 01/03, which makes me think you're one of the numerous HF youth-obsessed clowns who are always thinking the young guys will turn into the next Lemieux/Orr/Gretzky.

In a few years, you're probably going to tell us how crappy 01/03 were and have a hard on for 2009.

99 was definitly an off year. The irony is that "experts" were saying 99 was one of the deepest and most promising drafts. They were also already saying 2000 would be weaker and that 2001 would be a nice one. They were right about 2001 but wrong about 99 and 00, it seems. It happens, I guess.

The mere fact you think those draft years (from 97 to 99) have anything to do with the lower skill level also indicates you have a poor understanding of the NHL. The players who are supposed to rule this league should be in their prime, and not mere babies.

It is guys like Yashin, Lindros, Daigle, etc. who should be scoring on a consistent basis in this league right now, not young kids still learning.

1997 and 1998 are some of the better drafts in a long time. I don't know what more you could want, especially after a bad 1996.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Wabs

they should of trade the pick
for an good nhl player!!!!

Old
11-02-2003, 09:33 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Havlat, he can work in the centre and could've been the solution between Ilya and Dany. Another really interesting option would've been taking Rita. If he'd gotten icetime on the Thrashers he could've been an established player by now.

Old
11-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

HA! 1997 was a great draft. The worst draft in recent years is surely 1996.

Should have taken Havlat for sure. Taylor Pyatt is having a breakout season however.

Old
11-02-2003, 01:37 PM
TelperiŽn

Martin Havlat

Just about everyone from picks 1-25 wish they had picked him instead of <insert unknown name>.

Old
11-04-2003, 03:49 PM
weissfan9

Then Brendl now Havlat.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:48 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Havlat and Boynton are the only players from that list that have shown that they can have an impact. Alot of people are looking over Boynton. He's developed into a very good d-man.

Old
11-11-2003, 12:05 AM
Blane Youngblood

I know I may be biased because I'm a Canucks fan but if you wanted a center for Kovy and Dany, H. Sedin would be your man. He is defensively aware, has great vision, and makes tape to tape passes. I think that at this point Havlat has clearly shown more then either Sedin but as a partner for Dany and Kovy, Henrik would probably be the best option.

Old
11-11-2003, 04:38 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin
I know I may be biased because I'm a Canucks fan but if you wanted a center for Kovy and Dany, H. Sedin would be your man. He is defensively aware, has great vision, and makes tape to tape passes. I think that at this point Havlat has clearly shown more then either Sedin but as a partner for Dany and Kovy, Henrik would probably be the best option.
But the Sedins were only going to go to one team, they weren't going to be split up. Atlanta didn't have the resources to aquire another top pick to get Daniel, so the Sedins were out of the question.

Closed Thread