HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Purpose Alexander Radulov Thread v1.0 (UPD: Does not have to clear waivers)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
  #126
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Eberle, Benn, Giroux, Kopitar, Neal, Stasny, Carter, Brown, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Eriksson, Bergeron, Backes, Semin, Hemsky, Pominville, Sharp, Frolov, Williams, Havlat, Zetterberg, Tanguay, Gagne, Gomez, Cheechoo, Ribiero, Richards, Horcoff, and Pavel Dasyuk all wave hello.

That's about 1 per team. Odds are Poile should have gotten at least one by now, but nonetheless, Poile's defenders still cling to the argument that we don't draft high enough to get top-line offensive talent.

I Will Son is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
  #127
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Yet Poile has drafted a Vezina finalist goalie in a late round and a Norris trophy finalist in the second round yet that goes unnoticed. He also found a 30 goal scorer with the last pick of the draft. It also goes unnoticed that 8 of the 12 forwards that have been main cogs in our lineup were drafted by Poile. That 5 of the 6 defensemen that have played the last 20 games or so were drafted by Poile and both our goalies on the roster were drafted by Poile. This is also on a team that is 5th in the West and has been pretty competitive as of late. While the last few games haven't been great, the team has been one of the hottest since December. But hey, the GM is useless at building a team.

Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  #128
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
  #129
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yet Poile has drafted a Vezina finalist goalie in a late round and a Norris trophy finalist in the second round yet that goes unnoticed. He also found a 30 goal scorer with the last pick of the draft. It also goes unnoticed that 8 of the 12 forwards that have been main cogs in our lineup were drafted by Poile. That 5 of the 6 defensemen that have played the last 20 games or so were drafted by Poile and both our goalies on the roster were drafted by Poile. This is also on a team that is 5th in the West and has been pretty competitive as of late. While the last few games haven't been great, the team has been one of the hottest since December. But hey, the GM is useless at building a team.

Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.
No one ever said he hasnt drafted well. He just hasnt drafted any dynamic forwards outside Radulov. Radulov is arguably the most dynamic forward he has ever drafted including WSH.

Other than that, Poile has done an A++ job on drafting this team. He really has, but its obvious that he has a lack of drafting high end forwards. Which by some coincidence seems to be what we have been lacking since the fire-sale and the bolting of Rads himself.

I Will Son is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
  #130
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,938
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?
It would be nice. Of course, fans on other teams are saying it would be nice to have one of Weber, Suter, Rinne, Josi, Ellis, Blum, Wilson, or Smith and they all play on the same team

TMI is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
  #131
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,526
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I think that's obvious by the mention of the Preds uni.
Don't talk in absolutes, might get you in trouble some day

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  #132
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Those guys are at best 2nd liners. Wilson has potential to be 1st line material and Erat has always had the tools to be, but has never been consistent until the last year. And Spaling? Why did you list him? He will probably never even see 45 points



Radulov is the only true game changing forward Poile has drafted. While Wilson and Smith have potential to be, I dont see either reaching Rads status. And Rad is in that group with the Vaneks, Benns, Girouxs. No one else Poile has ever drafted is.
A year ago, Spaling would be nothing more than Smithson 2.0 ... now he's nothing more than a 3rd liner who will never see 45 points. I wonder what next year brings for him.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
  #133
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?
It would be great. No doubt about it. It would be interesting to see how other GM's have done in what they've drafted over the years. Poile gets good two way forwards, great D and goalies. He does lack in drafting top end forwards. Do other GM's have a weakness like this? Too late to look but it would be interesting to find out.

glenngineer is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
  #134
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?
We did have one, but he went to Russia. And let's not write off Wilson or Smith just yet. In another system, some of the guys Poile picked may have developed more scoring ability. Trotz requires his players to be defensively responsible or they don't see ice time early in their careers. Don't blame this all on Poile. It's a system that values an all around style of play at the expense of risk taking, creative offense. The system, the Predator Way we hear so much about isn't conducive to developing snipers.

WartracePred is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
  #135
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yet Poile has drafted a Vezina finalist goalie in a late round and a Norris trophy finalist in the second round yet that goes unnoticed. He also found a 30 goal scorer with the last pick of the draft. It also goes unnoticed that 8 of the 12 forwards that have been main cogs in our lineup were drafted by Poile. That 5 of the 6 defensemen that have played the last 20 games or so were drafted by Poile and both our goalies on the roster were drafted by Poile. This is also on a team that is 5th in the West and has been pretty competitive as of late. While the last few games haven't been great, the team has been one of the hottest since December. But hey, the GM is useless at building a team.

Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.
that is all good, but I want to give my left nut to have zetterburg's 11 or 12 goals this year.

token grinder is offline  
Old
02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
  #136
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
that is all good, but I want to give my left nut to have zetterburg's 11 or 12 goals this year.
you could probably get Cheechoo, Gomez, and a couple of the other names on that list for a lot less than a nut....

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:24 AM
  #137
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Read the article. Poile isn't counting on his return.
Read the article. Radulov is refinancing his house in Nashville to accept a lesser paycheck.

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
  #138
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.
Yes, we are better than Columbus.

There are a million excuses as to why Poile doesn't have a good draft record drafting scoring line forwards, but it's after 27 years in the league, it's enough of a sample size to judge trends. It's certainly not his strong suit. Either is trading for them...

dulzhok is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 05:59 AM
  #139
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 50
the likelihood of Radulov's return will almost certainly guide Poile's move at the deadline. If he needs 5 million for the next few years for a Rads extension its gonna be mighty difficult to acquire a contract like Nash's or Carter's.

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 07:34 AM
  #140
lstcyr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yes, we are better than Columbus.

There are a million excuses as to why Poile doesn't have a good draft record drafting scoring line forwards, but it's after 27 years in the league, it's enough of a sample size to judge trends. It's certainly not his strong suit. Either is trading for them...
Can we count Hartnell?

lstcyr is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 07:46 AM
  #141
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the likelihood of Radulov's return will almost certainly guide Poile's move at the deadline. If he needs 5 million for the next few years for a Rads extension its gonna be mighty difficult to acquire a contract like Nash's or Carter's.
I disagree Voldy for several reasons.

First, Radulov won't (can't?) come over until the KHL season is over for him- definitely after the trade deadline. Secondly, Radulov could bolt again after fulfilling the last year of his ELC. There's no way I'd trust him that far.

Poile should, and according to Boclair's great story- he will, move forward as if Radulov is not an option this season. That means that if the right player who may have a larger contract comes available at the right price, he has to make that move.

If Radulov comes over in early to mid-March- great. It will help the push for the Cup this year even more. At the end of the season, Poile then has the option to make whatever trades (or signings, or non-signings) are necessary to become cap compliant.

There's any number of ways that Poile could do that.

David Singleton is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
  #142
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,405
vCash: 500
Some good discussion in here, finally.
In critiques of the organization's drafting, I wonder if we should consider that sniper draft picks tend to be more hit or miss. Whereas high character, sound 2 way players are a safer and easier to predict player profile. We all know in most years the difference between the first 5-6 picks and the bottom 24-25 is usually pretty significant. With the generally lower draft picks the team had to work with, are they just taking the lower risk players available? Because, really, the depth of the players drafted by this org is considered very high by most scouts, with the exception of top 3 scorers and snipers. Does anyone here dispute that???

darth5 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
  #143
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I disagree Voldy for several reasons.

First, Radulov won't (can't?) come over until the KHL season is over for him- definitely after the trade deadline. Secondly, Radulov could bolt again after fulfilling the last year of his ELC. There's no way I'd trust him that far.

Poile should, and according to Boclair's great story- he will, move forward as if Radulov is not an option this season. That means that if the right player who may have a larger contract comes available at the right price, he has to make that move.

If Radulov comes over in early to mid-March- great. It will help the push for the Cup this year even more. At the end of the season, Poile then has the option to make whatever trades (or signings, or non-signings) are necessary to become cap compliant.

There's any number of ways that Poile could do that.
you missed my inference that in my hypothetical Poile actually knows Rads is going to come back and has an idea of what it will take to extend him. If that is in fact the case(and it certainly may NOT be the case) then poile probably cant add nash or carter, if they are even available.

But I do agree, unless poile is absolutely certain Radulov is coming back and that he is going to stay, he needs to proceed as if he is not going to return...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
  #144
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Some good discussion in here, finally.
In critiques of the organization's drafting, I wonder if we should consider that sniper draft picks tend to be more hit or miss. Whereas high character, sound 2 way players are a safer and easier to predict player profile. We all know in most years the difference between the first 5-6 picks and the bottom 24-25 is usually pretty significant. With the generally lower draft picks the team had to work with, are they just taking the lower risk players available? Because, really, the depth of the players drafted by this org is considered very high by most scouts, with the exception of top 3 scorers and snipers. Does anyone here dispute that???
I think thats exactly what has happened.

we havent had the multiple high picks to get a sure fire sniper or two.

we lucked into radulov due to what turned out to be well founded concerns about him being a headcase

Poile could have shot the moon with off the board picks, and if he had hit a winner we'd all be pleased but if he had drafted a couple of Zherdev/Filatov types, we'd be in even worse shape than we are...

the only time it appears Poile consistently craps the bed drafting is picking goalies in the first round...

PredsV82 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
  #145
David Singleton
HFB Partner
 
David Singleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Dickson, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you missed my inference that in my hypothetical Poile actually knows Rads is going to come back and has an idea of what it will take to extend him. If that is in fact the case(and it certainly may NOT be the case) then poile probably cant add nash or carter, if they are even available.

But I do agree, unless poile is absolutely certain Radulov is coming back and that he is going to stay, he needs to proceed as if he is not going to return...
No, I didn't miss your inference. What I was saying was that even if Poile was 100% sure he was returning and wanted to stay, I wouldn't trust him. I'd say "that's great and if he signs a new contract, I'll make it work at that time".

David Singleton is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
  #146
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Read the article. Radulov is refinancing his house in Nashville to accept a lesser paycheck.
sorry the article just says "according to a real estate source".... nothing from rad, just a real estate "source"...

baloney, the interest rates are lower than they have been in years.....why not refinance?

predfan98 is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
  #147
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
sorry the article just says "according to a real estate source".... nothing from rad, just a real estate "source"...

baloney, the interest rates are lower than they have been in years.....why not refinance?
On the flip side it shows he plans on keeping the house. You don't pay closing cost on a refi if you plan on selling the house, it's pointless.


Last edited by triggrman: 02-14-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: lol, bankers funny...
triggrman is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
  #148
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Even if Rads says he is coming back, Poile shouldn't trust him to honor that.

Roman Yoshi is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
  #149
SavageSteve
Registered User
 
SavageSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Like with any part of this saga... I'll believe it when I see him back in a Pred's sweater on the ice at the Bridge. Till then, Poile needs to focus on what he can add to this year's team to win the Cup w/out sacrificing the future. Two weeks to go...

SavageSteve is offline  
Old
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
  #150
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,049
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Read the article. Radulov is refinancing his house in Nashville to accept a lesser paycheck.
Nothing to do whatsoever with much lower interest rates. This tidbit from the article was a stretch.

WartracePred is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.