HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Purpose Alexander Radulov Thread v1.0 (UPD: Does not have to clear waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Eberle, Benn, Giroux, Kopitar, Neal, Stasny, Carter, Brown, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Eriksson, Bergeron, Backes, Semin, Hemsky, Pominville, Sharp, Frolov, Williams, Havlat, Zetterberg, Tanguay, Gagne, Gomez, Cheechoo, Ribiero, Richards, Horcoff, and Pavel Dasyuk all wave hello.

That's about 1 per team. Odds are Poile should have gotten at least one by now, but nonetheless, Poile's defenders still cling to the argument that we don't draft high enough to get top-line offensive talent.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
glenngineer

Yet Poile has drafted a Vezina finalist goalie in a late round and a Norris trophy finalist in the second round yet that goes unnoticed. He also found a 30 goal scorer with the last pick of the draft. It also goes unnoticed that 8 of the 12 forwards that have been main cogs in our lineup were drafted by Poile. That 5 of the 6 defensemen that have played the last 20 games or so were drafted by Poile and both our goalies on the roster were drafted by Poile. This is also on a team that is 5th in the West and has been pretty competitive as of late. While the last few games haven't been great, the team has been one of the hottest since December. But hey, the GM is useless at building a team.

Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?

Old
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yet Poile has drafted a Vezina finalist goalie in a late round and a Norris trophy finalist in the second round yet that goes unnoticed. He also found a 30 goal scorer with the last pick of the draft. It also goes unnoticed that 8 of the 12 forwards that have been main cogs in our lineup were drafted by Poile. That 5 of the 6 defensemen that have played the last 20 games or so were drafted by Poile and both our goalies on the roster were drafted by Poile. This is also on a team that is 5th in the West and has been pretty competitive as of late. While the last few games haven't been great, the team has been one of the hottest since December. But hey, the GM is useless at building a team.

Having a game breaker(Nash) is great but I'd rather have a quality team than a stud up front and nothing else. I'd rather have a well built franchise than a team that is built around one player and have no success.
No one ever said he hasnt drafted well. He just hasnt drafted any dynamic forwards outside Radulov. Radulov is arguably the most dynamic forward he has ever drafted including WSH.

Other than that, Poile has done an A++ job on drafting this team. He really has, but its obvious that he has a lack of drafting high end forwards. Which by some coincidence seems to be what we have been lacking since the fire-sale and the bolting of Rads himself.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
But you have to agree it would have been nice to have just one of the above mentioned players in our system sometime during their career........no?
It would be nice. Of course, fans on other teams are saying it would be nice to have one of Weber, Suter, Rinne, Josi, Ellis, Blum, Wilson, or Smith and they all play on the same team

Old
02-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
I think that's obvious by the mention of the Preds uni.
Don't talk in absolutes, might get you in trouble some day

Old
02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Those guys are at best 2nd liners. Wilson has potential to be 1st line material and Erat has always had the tools to be, but has never been consistent until the last year. And Spaling? Why did you list him? He will probably never even see 45 points

Radulov is the only true game changing forward Poile has drafted. While Wilson and Smith have potential to be, I dont see either reaching Rads status. And Rad is in that group with the Vaneks, Benns, Girouxs. No one else Poile has ever drafted is.
A year ago, Spaling would be nothing more than Smithson 2.0 ... now he's nothing more than a 3rd liner who will never see 45 points. I wonder what next year brings for him.

Old
02-13-2012, 09:10 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
It would be great. No doubt about it. It would be interesting to see how other GM's have done in what they've drafted over the years. Poile gets good two way forwards, great D and goalies. He does lack in drafting top end forwards. Do other GM's have a weakness like this? Too late to look but it would be interesting to find out.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:03 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
We did have one, but he went to Russia. And let's not write off Wilson or Smith just yet. In another system, some of the guys Poile picked may have developed more scoring ability. Trotz requires his players to be defensively responsible or they don't see ice time early in their careers. Don't blame this all on Poile. It's a system that values an all around style of play at the expense of risk taking, creative offense. The system, the Predator Way we hear so much about isn't conducive to developing snipers.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:41 PM
token grinder

Quote:

that is all good, but I want to give my left nut to have zetterburg's 11 or 12 goals this year.

Old
02-13-2012, 11:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
that is all good, but I want to give my left nut to have zetterburg's 11 or 12 goals this year.
you could probably get Cheechoo, Gomez, and a couple of the other names on that list for a lot less than a nut....

Old
02-14-2012, 12:24 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Read the article. Poile isn't counting on his return.
Read the article. Radulov is refinancing his house in Nashville to accept a lesser paycheck.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:41 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Yes, we are better than Columbus.

There are a million excuses as to why Poile doesn't have a good draft record drafting scoring line forwards, but it's after 27 years in the league, it's enough of a sample size to judge trends. It's certainly not his strong suit. Either is trading for them...

Old
02-14-2012, 05:59 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

the likelihood of Radulov's return will almost certainly guide Poile's move at the deadline. If he needs 5 million for the next few years for a Rads extension its gonna be mighty difficult to acquire a contract like Nash's or Carter's.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:34 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Yes, we are better than Columbus.

There are a million excuses as to why Poile doesn't have a good draft record drafting scoring line forwards, but it's after 27 years in the league, it's enough of a sample size to judge trends. It's certainly not his strong suit. Either is trading for them...
Can we count Hartnell?

Old
02-14-2012, 07:46 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the likelihood of Radulov's return will almost certainly guide Poile's move at the deadline. If he needs 5 million for the next few years for a Rads extension its gonna be mighty difficult to acquire a contract like Nash's or Carter's.
I disagree Voldy for several reasons.

First, Radulov won't (can't?) come over until the KHL season is over for him- definitely after the trade deadline. Secondly, Radulov could bolt again after fulfilling the last year of his ELC. There's no way I'd trust him that far.

Poile should, and according to Boclair's great story- he will, move forward as if Radulov is not an option this season. That means that if the right player who may have a larger contract comes available at the right price, he has to make that move.

If Radulov comes over in early to mid-March- great. It will help the push for the Cup this year even more. At the end of the season, Poile then has the option to make whatever trades (or signings, or non-signings) are necessary to become cap compliant.

There's any number of ways that Poile could do that.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:57 AM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Some good discussion in here, finally.
In critiques of the organization's drafting, I wonder if we should consider that sniper draft picks tend to be more hit or miss. Whereas high character, sound 2 way players are a safer and easier to predict player profile. We all know in most years the difference between the first 5-6 picks and the bottom 24-25 is usually pretty significant. With the generally lower draft picks the team had to work with, are they just taking the lower risk players available? Because, really, the depth of the players drafted by this org is considered very high by most scouts, with the exception of top 3 scorers and snipers. Does anyone here dispute that???

Old
02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
I disagree Voldy for several reasons.

First, Radulov won't (can't?) come over until the KHL season is over for him- definitely after the trade deadline. Secondly, Radulov could bolt again after fulfilling the last year of his ELC. There's no way I'd trust him that far.

Poile should, and according to Boclair's great story- he will, move forward as if Radulov is not an option this season. That means that if the right player who may have a larger contract comes available at the right price, he has to make that move.

If Radulov comes over in early to mid-March- great. It will help the push for the Cup this year even more. At the end of the season, Poile then has the option to make whatever trades (or signings, or non-signings) are necessary to become cap compliant.

There's any number of ways that Poile could do that.
you missed my inference that in my hypothetical Poile actually knows Rads is going to come back and has an idea of what it will take to extend him. If that is in fact the case(and it certainly may NOT be the case) then poile probably cant add nash or carter, if they are even available.

But I do agree, unless poile is absolutely certain Radulov is coming back and that he is going to stay, he needs to proceed as if he is not going to return...

Old
02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by darth5 View Post
Some good discussion in here, finally.
In critiques of the organization's drafting, I wonder if we should consider that sniper draft picks tend to be more hit or miss. Whereas high character, sound 2 way players are a safer and easier to predict player profile. We all know in most years the difference between the first 5-6 picks and the bottom 24-25 is usually pretty significant. With the generally lower draft picks the team had to work with, are they just taking the lower risk players available? Because, really, the depth of the players drafted by this org is considered very high by most scouts, with the exception of top 3 scorers and snipers. Does anyone here dispute that???
I think thats exactly what has happened.

we havent had the multiple high picks to get a sure fire sniper or two.

we lucked into radulov due to what turned out to be well founded concerns about him being a headcase

Poile could have shot the moon with off the board picks, and if he had hit a winner we'd all be pleased but if he had drafted a couple of Zherdev/Filatov types, we'd be in even worse shape than we are...

the only time it appears Poile consistently craps the bed drafting is picking goalies in the first round...

Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you missed my inference that in my hypothetical Poile actually knows Rads is going to come back and has an idea of what it will take to extend him. If that is in fact the case(and it certainly may NOT be the case) then poile probably cant add nash or carter, if they are even available.

But I do agree, unless poile is absolutely certain Radulov is coming back and that he is going to stay, he needs to proceed as if he is not going to return...
No, I didn't miss your inference. What I was saying was that even if Poile was 100% sure he was returning and wanted to stay, I wouldn't trust him. I'd say "that's great and if he signs a new contract, I'll make it work at that time".

Old
02-14-2012, 09:14 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Read the article. Radulov is refinancing his house in Nashville to accept a lesser paycheck.
sorry the article just says "according to a real estate source".... nothing from rad, just a real estate "source"...

baloney, the interest rates are lower than they have been in years.....why not refinance?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
sorry the article just says "according to a real estate source".... nothing from rad, just a real estate "source"...

baloney, the interest rates are lower than they have been in years.....why not refinance?
On the flip side it shows he plans on keeping the house. You don't pay closing cost on a refi if you plan on selling the house, it's pointless.

Last edited by triggrman: 02-14-2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: lol, bankers funny...
Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Even if Rads says he is coming back, Poile shouldn't trust him to honor that.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
SavageSteve

Like with any part of this saga... I'll believe it when I see him back in a Pred's sweater on the ice at the Bridge. Till then, Poile needs to focus on what he can add to this year's team to win the Cup w/out sacrificing the future. Two weeks to go...

Old
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Nothing to do whatsoever with much lower interest rates. This tidbit from the article was a stretch.

Closed Thread