HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shoulder Impingement - Slap Shot!

Old
02-14-2012, 02:33 AM
BHDefensiveForward

vCash: 500
Shoulder Impingement - Slap Shot!

I've been plagued with shoulder impingement in both shoulders sadly for a few years now, and I'm finding after a few games of slap shots, they get inflamed pretty quick. Has anyone else had this same issue? My doctor claims it's because of the vibration from hitting the stick hard on the ice.

If I only use wrist shots, I never feel pain, so I know this must be due to the slap shots. Any advice on how to cope with this issue? Should I just stick to wrist, and snap shots? Sadly I'm using slap shots on the run as my main shot, with wrist shots only when I'm closer to the net and I cannot lift my stick up due to traffic.

I play forward with a shorter stick which has a high flex because of my height. (Had to cut the sucker down!)

BHDefensiveForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:01 AM
drivesrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDefensiveForward View Post
I've been plagued with shoulder impingement in both shoulders sadly for a few years now, and I'm finding after a few games of slap shots, they get inflamed pretty quick. Has anyone else had this same issue? My doctor claims it's because of the vibration from hitting the stick hard on the ice.

If I only use wrist shots, I never feel pain, so I know this must be due to the slap shots. Any advice on how to cope with this issue? Should I just stick to wrist, and snap shots? Sadly I'm using slap shots on the run as my main shot, with wrist shots only when I'm closer to the net and I cannot lift my stick up due to traffic.

I play forward with a shorter stick which has a high flex because of my height. (Had to cut the sucker down!)
Just out of curiosity as a forward why is the slapshot your main shot, when a wrist shot is much more accurate?

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:29 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
Have you ever had a shoulder problem before? If so, what caused it?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Aftcomet*

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
Have you ever had a shoulder problem before? If so, what caused it?
Well he said that he's "been plagued with shoulder impingement in both shoulders sadly for a few years now"....

Aftcomet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
AIREAYE

I'm no doctor, but based on what you're saying about using a high flex for your stick, that might be the problem. Using a stick that is too stiff results in you not being able to transfer your energy and torque (from a slapper) into the stick. As a result, the responding force, shock and vibrations are directed instead to your elbows and shoulders.

I would suggest going down in flex and see if that works.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Definitely try that lower flex. You want to transfer the energy from your movement through your muscles via your joints and into the stick. If the stick is too stiff the energy gets wasted into the joints robbing you of power and causing injuries.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:58 AM
michaelshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
Well he said that he's "been plagued with shoulder impingement in both shoulders sadly for a few years now"....
right.. right.. my bad.. just curious if it's really from slapshots or something else.
because i once had a similar problem and turns out it was related to my back injury somehow.. was gonna suggest checking his back to a doctor or chiropractor.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
BHDefensiveForward

The shoulder issue was prior to hockey. I pretty much cannot lift high amounts of weight over head, or too far from my body. I've done wrist shots for weeks with no issue, the second I use the slap shot, I get a bad flare up the next day. I use the slap shot as my main shot because I've been able to excute the shot quickly, and on the go without missing the net, and hitting my target. I can flex a stick which is 100 flex just with arm strength a tad, not body weight. Sadly I'm too short, so once I cut my stick down to my collar bone, the flex is pretty high even on 70... I could go back to a longer stick, and just use wrist shots.

Old
02-14-2012, 01:51 PM
drivesrf

Quote:
I use the slap shot as my main shot because I've been able to excute the shot quickly, and on the go without missing the net, and hitting my target.

Sounds like a snap shot, no?

drivesrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
michaelshu

Quote:
The shoulder issue was prior to hockey. I pretty much cannot lift high amounts of weight over head, or too far from my body. I've done wrist shots for weeks with no issue, the second I use the slap shot, I get a bad flare up the next day. I use the slap shot as my main shot because I've been able to excute the shot quickly, and on the go without missing the net, and hitting my target. I can flex a stick which is 100 flex just with arm strength a tad, not body weight. Sadly I'm too short, so once I cut my stick down to my collar bone, the flex is pretty high even on 70... I could go back to a longer stick, and just use wrist shots.
You definitely need to have those checked.. I suffered similar pain for 6 years, my right shoulder would flare after every game no matter what kind of shot i took.. it also hurts when i try to lift heavy weights, and sometimes just by sitting too long.

Been through many kinds of shoulder treatments, but only about 2 years ago a friend advised me to go see a chiropractor. And voila, turns out it was from my twisted lower back.. not saying you're the same with me.. I just think you should not ignore it for too long

Old
02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
BHDefensiveForward

My MRI that was done three years showed my bone structure has a very small space for the tendent to move, which also means if that area gets inflammed, it wouldn't leave a lot of room.

Old
02-14-2012, 03:13 PM
BHDefensiveForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivesrf View Post
Sounds like a snap shot, no?
Unless a snap shot requires a back swing. No... I rarely use snap shots.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

Quote:
My MRI that was done three years showed my bone structure has a very small space for the tendent to move, which also means if that area gets inflammed, it wouldn't leave a lot of room.
I had this same problem in my right shoulder. I got it all cleaned up at the end of November and I have been back on the ice for a month now feeling amazing. I had the same problem with slapshots killing me, so I just stopped taking them and went wrist shots only. I also dropped the flex of my stick and it took a lot of the stress off my shoulder.

Last edited by Wildturkey12: 02-14-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
BHDefensiveForward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildturkey12 View Post
I had this same problem in my right shoulder. I got it all cleaned up at the end of November and I have been back on the ice for a month now feeling amazing. I had the same problem with slapshots killing me, so I just stopped taking them and went wrist shots only. I also dropped the flex of my stick and it took a lot of the stress of my shoulder.
Thanks for the replies, guess I wasn't the only one!

The good thing is I might go back to using a longer stick then because I had great wrist shots, and good poke check ability. Only reason I used a short stick was for quick slap shots, and my longer stick caused some issues for me doing the shot.

Glad this worked out anyways! Thanks! I'll take my sticks, long and short today and test out wrist shots to determine if I will move back to my old style of play. Speedy short player, with a longer stick for poke checks and wrist shots.

Old
02-17-2012, 01:42 AM
dbargaehr

Same problem here. I've been playing with a torn labrum in my right shoulder for three years now. If I take too many slap shots, even just a few in practice, I'll feel it pretty quickly after I'm off the rink.

Part of what helped me (and helped me with my shot, too) was to give my shot a little more forward motion. Not skating forward, but to bring my stick less down at the puck and more forward. I know it sounds stupid, but you watch some people take slap shots and you wonder if they're trying to dig a hole for ice fishing...bottom line, it's beene easier on my shoulder the last season or so. One day, surgery. For now, hockey

dbargaehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2012, 02:19 AM
BHDefensiveForward

Yea, I did a few slap shots today, maybe 8 or so with a longer stick, ripped them like bullets! But the odd thing is I shoot left but more pain is in my right shoulder than left... This sucks a lot for ball hockey, not so much ice hockey because I can just wrist/snap shot by loading the stick and produce a fast shot.

Hopefully snap shots don't effect my shoulders as well.

My issue is when I cut down the stick to my collar bone, it was 85 to begin with, but is like 120+ because I'm 5ft 6". I can flex a 100 flex stick not cut, but it's all arms, I have to push down on it very hard, anything over 100 I can barely flex more than half an inch. My arms are pretty soar after though because leaning doesn't put a lot of weight into the shot because I'm not even 150lb... I just worked out a lot with my arms in the gym this past year.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:22 AM
michaelshu

If you can.. get an intermediate stick. I'm 5'6 too and about 160 lbs, i use an int. 67 flex cut down to 77 - 80 to my chin though i rarely take slappers.

Old
02-17-2012, 04:31 AM
BHDefensiveForward

Yea, if I go for a longer stick as I enjoy playing with anyways, I'm going to get more whip with an int. 65ish as I use Easton's sticks only.