HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Player that's been a disappointment

Old
02-11-2012, 08:54 AM
BobbyNystromOwnsYou*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Remember to take into account that we had the 5th overall pick and because we touted Bailey so much we dropped down to take him. So that adds to peoples disappointment.
The best part about you complaining about that pick, is how good the rest of that draft is turning out. Nobody ever wants to talk about that though. They just want to complain about getting Bailey. That draft is going to go down as one of the best drafts in Isles history.

BobbyNystromOwnsYou* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:38 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
OK, so Couture has only MAYBE been as good as Bailey? (or MAYBE an inch or two better?)

And Hodgson doesn't really impress you that much this year after all he went through with his back injuries the past two seasons?

And Setoguchi really hasn't done as well - not to mention better - than Bailey in your opinion?
Congrats costanza, those are the players I alluded to being better than bailey.

And hodgson's emergence has been nice to see, he was my favorite player that draft year, after the first two players.

Bottom line, of you are disappointed with bailey so far, great. I think fans ned to adjust their expectations regarding first rounders and understand that they don't all become stars.

also, stats are a huge function of context and linemates. I learned that from 56 goal scorer jonathan cheechoo, more recently from sam gagner who started getting points after moving from the 3rd line to playing with Hall and Eberle.

Bailey has never been in a position to put up points.

Not being an apologist for bailey, because he's become a very useful, effective nhl player and contributes even when he isn't scoring. and I do expect more from him offensively because he has the skill.

Isles have enough players that contribute zero, especially when the puck isn't going in - like Grabner, even Moulson at times.

We love to dump on this team for all decisions, but the draft is not one of them, in my opinion.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Islander Prophet

Well well, Grabner must have read this topic, he scored a goal!!

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 12:47 PM
MTK

I am more disappointed in management and ownership each year. Staios, Pandolfo, Reasoner. Carting DP on the ice. IF DP didn't have his season ended it would of been worse Expecting this team to be a playoff team is a smack in the face to the fans. The only thing about being at the NHL .500 is that Wang is going to raise ticket prices. Most teams raise prices if the team makes the playoffs the year before.

Grabner has not performed up to what everyone thought he was going to do this year but I kind of expected Grabner to have slump since teams are now aware of his speed and breakaways. He now needs to find open spots...which he will. He is young and this is his second NHL season

Streit, has not played in an entire year, which I expected him to get better as the year goes on which he has.

Bailey, I want to resign him. I think he brings a lot to this team. He has played well this year. Many expect him to be a 30 goal scorer he is not . The guy plays a complete game..and was thrown to the wolves.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I am more disappointed in management and ownership each year. Staios, Pandolfo, Reasoner. Carting DP on the ice. IF DP didn't have his season ended it would of been worse Expecting this team to be a playoff team is a smack in the face to the fans. The only thing about being at the NHL .500 is that Wang is going to raise ticket prices. Most teams raise prices if the team makes the playoffs the year before.
Staios - would have been Ok if we had a solid top 4 and he, Eaton, Reese and Jurcina were the bottom 4.
Pandolfo - didn't really understand this move. He's done a lot of 'unveteran' things this season that I didn't expect. Ironically, I've felt pretty good about him as a 4th liner center the past few weeks. Effort is there.
Reasoner - huge disappointment. The signing looked to be a very clever and workable one. 3rd/4th line guy who chips in 25 points and plays smart at all times. Definately NOT what we got.

But these aren't the moves to pick on... it's the moves that WEREN'T made that have to be picked on.

Dunno how you let Hillen and Martinek walk so as to upgrade on them - and then don't even replace them, much less upgrade on them.

Quote:
Grabner has not performed up to what everyone thought he was going to do this year but I kind of expected Grabner to have slump since teams are now aware of his speed and breakaways. He now needs to find open spots...which he will. He is young and this is his second NHL season.
I expected 25-15-40 and with that, a drop-off. The fact that he simply doesn't do anything on most occasions when he's not using his speed and getting the puck fed to him is what is so terriblyyyyy disappointing.

Quote:
Streit, has not played in an entire year, which I expected him to get better as the year goes on which he has.
Agreed. Feel the same.

Quote:
Bailey, I want to resign him. I think he brings a lot to this team. He has played well this year. Many expect him to be a 30 goal scorer he is not . The guy plays a complete game..and was thrown to the wolves.
I love the Bailey we're seeing now. It's taken a while and some real shoddy play (even in the first 20 games this season), but the kid we're seeing now is playing like a man. It's the way he carries himself. It's the way he wins pucks. It's the way he encounters opponents with his shoulder. It's his confidence with the puck.

I'm with Redbull all the way here - one day he's gonna just start being a 50-60 point man and not look back! The skills are just there - the maturing apparently now as well.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 07:59 AM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Staios - would have been Ok if we had a solid top 4 and he, Eaton, Reese and Jurcina were the bottom 4.
Pandolfo - didn't really understand this move. He's done a lot of 'unveteran' things this season that I didn't expect. Ironically, I've felt pretty good about him as a 4th liner center the past few weeks. Effort is there.
Reasoner - huge disappointment. The signing looked to be a very clever and workable one. 3rd/4th line guy who chips in 25 points and plays smart at all times. Definately NOT what we got.

But these aren't the moves to pick on... it's the moves that WEREN'T made that have to be picked on.
The moves that weren't are the biggest issue, I posted in another thread about that.

Staios, I agree as well I would have no problem with as a 6th/7th as he played well this year and would be better with less minutes. The problem is he is Top 4.

Pandolfo, is only good for the PK IMO and we need players that can play in all situations. Reasoner, has been a huge disappointment. The #16 has been a curse

All in all we needed to make moves and we didn't. I am disappointed in NYI each and every year.

Snow decided to bring in aging veterans who didn't even play in the league last year. That is a joke

Snow fails at his job and still gets to keep it. NYI do not operate in the real world

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Islanders4Cups

Islander fans have been the biggest disappointment this season.

Islanders4Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:20 AM
aemoreira1981

Gonna say Grabner...he has been in a sort of sophomore slump in terms of goal scoring AND his defensive play (remember that he was +13 last season). I didn't expect much from Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, and similar, and they have played even worse, but most of them are probably in their final NHL days.)

A close second might be Mark Streit. Blake Comeau would have been tops, but he got waived goodbye.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:41 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Bailey
MacD
Grabner
Comeau
KO
Juice

Not even going to mention scrubs like Rolston and Reasoner. What a waste of roster spaces these two are.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
Top 3

1. Grabner- I was expecting him to match or improve from last season. Right now he looks like a fringe NHLer like Tambo
2. Comeau- I was expecting 15-20 goals, I still don't agree with the waiving as it forced one of Nino or Wallace into regular duty while they are clearly inferior to Comeau
3.Nino- Just terrible this year, thought he may be able to contribute slightly but he has flat out sucked

HM Streit, Bailey (was not expecting too much), Okposo, Reasoner

Surprises

1. JT-He is the real deal, did not think he would be this good so quick
2. Hamonic- See above
3. Nabokov- Playing like a top10/15 goalie after last years BS

HM PAP, Martin
first of Niederreiter's playing on thew 4th line. Of course he's not gonna put playing with scrubs. If he was playing with a playmaker he might show a bit more. But no we got him playing with hacks like Pandolfo and another hack like Rolston playing ahead of him.

I'd a agree with one Grabner- the guys been a let down this year. But then again opposing teams know of his speed- there gonna cheat as much with the risk of a breakaway now that they know what he can do.

Never expected much out of reasoner- just another signing to hit the cap floor.

Tavares has shown way too much individual play lately. Someone needs to set him straight

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streit Power View Post
I had a feeling we shoulda traded Grabner at the end of last season, when he was worth a fortune....
imagine the bounty we prob could have gotten. Grabner+ our 2011 1st, for EDM 2011 1st at the draft. i think that could have happened, but i digress, grabner has been disapointing. Bailey has been disappointing on the score sheet, but he has been playing pretty well, esp lately. Okposo is not looking great, he seemed like he was really ready to break out during the 09-10 season and was arguably our best all around player.

im not going to say anything about nino bc, hes young,on the 4th line, and overmatched.

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
Tavares has shown way too much individual play lately. Someone needs to set him straight
Glad you mention this.

That's so true! He has not been making use of his linemates lately, often making that extra deke or taking a bad angle shot rather than setting up the better positioned teammate.

Maybe this is his way of 'pressing'. After scoring in 12 straight, he has like one point in 6 games.

Old
02-13-2012, 01:42 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Glad you mention this.

That's so true! He has not been making use of his linemates lately, often making that extra deke or taking a bad angle shot rather than setting up the better positioned teammate.

Maybe this is his way of 'pressing'. After scoring in 12 straight, he has like one point in 6 games.
I've also noticed this, he definitely does seem to be pressing. I can't say I blame him since his will to win seems virtually unmatched on this team. He's just trying to do too much, but who else is going to do it?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Islander Prophet

True, Tavares doesn't seem like himself as of late...

wonder if something is going on...??

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
I'm wondering if he's burning out a bit after leading this team's offense for nearly 65% of the season. We all know how much the guy puts pressure on himself.

I've noticed that he doesn't have that extra gear in his stride, or extra stamina to win puck battles.

Bottom line, management didn't support him enough and didn't set the conditions for this team to make the PO's; and yeah, if you couldn't tell by my numerous posts here...that pisses me off!

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:00 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
a solid 3rd line center on the Isles = healthy scratch on a good team.

Bailey sucks.
That is a very dumb post, anyway biggest disappointment for me has to be Marty Reasoner, I didn't expect him to replicate his point total from last year, but I expected quite a bit more than what he gave us when he was healthy.

ledzep1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:13 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Glad you mention this.

I'll disagree with you on this. By not competeing, Kyle Okposo limits JT's options.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:14 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
That is a very dumb post, anyway biggest disappointment for me has to be Marty Reasoner, I didn't expect him to replicate his point total from last year, but I expected quite a bit more than what he gave us when he was healthy.
He didn't even resemble an NHL player. Weird.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan1IslesFan View Post
first of Niederreiter's playing on thew 4th line. Of course he's not gonna put playing with scrubs. If he was playing with a playmaker he might show a bit more. But no we got him playing with hacks like Pandolfo and another hack like Rolston playing ahead of him.
There is good reason Nino is on the 4th line, he sucks. He is a long way from being a bust but he is NOT an NHL player today and does not belong here. Capuano is forced to play him due to the owner and GM being clueless so he plugs him in with two other useless guys.

Hip Of Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:14 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
I'll disagree with you on this. By not competeing, Kyle Okposo limits JT's options.
Hmmmm... Don't get it. Okposo may not have been very effective the past few games, but he is moving and working hard in the corners.

JT's recent 'puckhogging' is certainly not a result of 'being limited' by Okposo. In fact, there have been several times games where JT could have attempted a quick pass to an open and well-positioned Okposo, but instead waited too long and then tried to do it all alone. There are also plenty of times in recent games where JT has entered the defensive zone and attempted to deke out two or three opponents rather than drop off the easy pass to one of Okposo or Moulson who had skated with him and were in a 'safe' position to obtain the puck. It's like JT has just simply been selfish - wants to do it all alone... That's only Ok if a guy is truly coming through on 50% of his opportunities.

Instead, JT has been hitting a wall and opponents seem to KNOW that he's gonna try going it on his own.

Now's the time to start involving his linemates more. The balance between doing things alone and passing at opportune times is what makes the big difference in the efficiency department.

Old
02-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
There is good reason Nino is on the 4th line, he sucks. He is a long way from being a bust but he is NOT an NHL player today and does not belong here. Capuano is forced to play him due to the owner and GM being clueless so he plugs him in with two other useless guys.
Don't necessarily agree with that, but I do wish the team would reactivate Reasoner soon or call up Haley/Rakhshani/Ullstrom and get Nino to Portland for their playoff rush.

At this point, there's no doubt in my mind that some playoff time there, then some playoff time in BPort and then a WC in Scandinavia with Switzerland would be MUCH better for him and his development than 4th line duty on a non-playoff team.

He needs important minutes that require him to keep his skills sharp while improving them and carrying responsibility.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:29 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Gonna say Grabner...he has been in a sort of sophomore slump in terms of goal scoring AND his defensive play (remember that he was +13 last season). I didn't expect much from Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, and similar, and they have played even worse, but most of them are probably in their final NHL days.)

A close second might be Mark Streit. Blake Comeau would have been tops, but he got waived goodbye.
i dont think grabs d is worse this year, he still practically never gets scored on while pking. His +/- is just a reflection of how many more goals he scored last season. He has also only scored 1 shortie this year...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfindl View Post
i dont think grabs d is worse this year, he still practically never gets scored on while pking. His +/- is just a reflection of how many more goals he scored last season. He has also only scored 1 shortie this year...
Whewwwww, I think the difference between this and last year is like night and day.

We hardly EVER see him blow by defenses like he did last season.

This lack of offensive threat and proficiency exposes his incredible lack of NHL ability in other areas even more.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:55 AM
luki here

Quote:
Whewwwww, I think the difference between this and last year is like night and day.

We hardly EVER see him blow by defenses like he did last season.

This lack of offensive threat and proficiency exposes his incredible lack of NHL ability in other areas even more.
but I was only talking about his d. especially on the pk...his offense stinks this year.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote