HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2012, 09:01 AM
Schooner Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Montreal needs serious help on the offence along with some bruising defencemen like Jack Johnson(LA)with experience.Giving up on the ghost that is Markov and bring on the real team one that has players that show up to play and don't expect five or six players to continually carry the team.Serious muscle to match the talent on the backend is a start.Then go after the best available 20 year old players undrafted of which there are many.Give all of these players tryout contracts at the end of this season,then they realize their will be contracts for the ones that earn them.Make every camp a dog eat dog no holds pulled for those precious few openings there are.Add to that the players drafted this year and last to compete against one another.Leave no stone unturned in the pursuit of players with offensive or two way play that has the desire to be a Hab. The habs need the whole team from President,GM,Coach and everyone involved with the team to put in %100 all year round to be successful.This isn't rocket science it's hockey put the best minds together with players that want to win and go out and do it!
What in the world does this have to do with this CHL/NCAA/Euro prospect thread?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Don't we already have threads about the 2012 draft and our actual prospects, playing junior hockey and AHL/ECHL ?!

Old
02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Don't we already have threads about the 2012 draft and our actual prospects, playing junior hockey and AHL/ECHL ?!
This isn't about the draft. It's about the quality of our current prospects and what scouts think their potential is.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation

Old
02-14-2012, 09:34 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
What's our biggest organizational need? Who are the players that we should be targeting at the draft? Who's realistic? Who may be flying under the radar?

We have a lot of prospects but where do they measure up? We have Berger, Archambault, Fortier, Pribyl, Avtsin, Holland, Berger, Trunev, Dietz, Ellis and Stejskal. What is their potential.
We have nothing as far as goalie prospects are concerned. I like what i've seen from Delmas but it's not nearly enough starts yet to have any sort of feel for what he could be. Granted if they lock Price up longterm, it's not a big deal but either way we likely have the worst goalie prospects in the NHL.

We also lack top notch scoring talent among the forwards. Leblanc, Gallagher and Kristo are our best bets imo but it's hard to say what sort of impact Gallagher will have against bigger stronger players and Kristo needs to be more consistent.

Berger- has struggled mightly in the AHL, should be in the ECHL imo

Archambault- looks to be skilled offensively but needs to round out his game and is likely a long ways away since he'll be in juniors next year and then would likely need a few years in the AHL.

Fortier- has been good in Hamilton this year when healthy, good on the PK and chips in offensively. His speed really helps him cover ground and he works hard. No clue what his NHL upside is. He'll have to clear waivers to play in the AHL next year but that shouldn't be a problem.

Pribyl- more of an unknown for me, looks like he has nice hands but slow feet, since he's under contract in the Czech league next year, i'm assuming we won't see him in North America till the following season (2013-2014) I'd say he's one to keep an eye out for as he's got a big frame and if he can improve his mobility perhaps he can be something of interest.

Avtsin- Has not adjusted well to the AHL imo, shows flashes of offensive skill from time to time but is very raw. He's interesting because he's got the tall frame, good speed/skating and hands but other times he's hard to notice out there or just not very effective. Hard to say what his future holds as far as the NHL goes, until he can become an effective AHLer I don't have much hope for him in the NHL but you never know as he is under contract for 2 more seasons beyond this one so we'll see how much he can progress.

Holland- I haven't seen him yet but I should see a lot of him next year once he turns pro. Sounds like a solid two way player that is a great skater.

Trunev- He hit a career high in points this year with 9 so far and his contract in the KHL is up but who knows if he ever comes over.

Dietz- Is having a good year from the looks of it, next year he'll be back in the WHL and then we'll see how it goes for him in the AHL after a couple of seasons.

Ellis- What a year he's having offensively, can't wait to see him in Hamilton next year, clearly we have solid depth among our D prospects as imo it's our biggest strength with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett and Ellis at the top.

Stejskal- Has struggled at times this year, but he'll have a couple years to round out his game and get more comfortable out there. With the depth we have on D among our prospects, he will be hard pressed to get ice time.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
We have nothing as far as goalie prospects are concerned. I like what i've seen from Delmas but it's not nearly enough starts yet to have any sort of feel for what he could be. Granted if they lock Price up longterm, it's not a big deal but either way we likely have the worst goalie prospects in the NHL.

We also lack top notch scoring talent among the forwards. Leblanc, Gallagher and Kristo are our best bets imo but it's hard to say what sort of impact Gallagher will have against bigger stronger players and Kristo needs to be more consistent.

Berger- has struggled mightly in the AHL, should be in the ECHL imo

Archambault- looks to be skilled offensively but needs to round out his game and is likely a long ways away since he'll be in juniors next year and then would likely need a few years in the AHL.

Fortier- has been good in Hamilton this year when healthy, good on the PK and chips in offensively. His speed really helps him cover ground and he works hard. No clue what his NHL upside is. He'll have to clear waivers to play in the AHL next year but that shouldn't be a problem.

Pribyl- more of an unknown for me, looks like he has nice hands but slow feet, since he's under contract in the Czech league next year, i'm assuming we won't see him in North America till the following season (2013-2014) I'd say he's one to keep an eye out for as he's got a big frame and if he can improve his mobility perhaps he can be something of interest.

Avtsin- Has not adjusted well to the AHL imo, shows flashes of offensive skill from time to time but is very raw. He's interesting because he's got the tall frame, good speed/skating and hands but other times he's hard to notice out there or just not very effective. Hard to say what his future holds as far as the NHL goes, until he can become an effective AHLer I don't have much hope for him in the NHL but you never know as he is under contract for 2 more seasons beyond this one so we'll see how much he can progress.

Holland- I haven't seen him yet but I should see a lot of him next year once he turns pro. Sounds like a solid two way player that is a great skater.

Trunev- He hit a career high in points this year with 9 so far and his contract in the KHL is up but who knows if he ever comes over.

Dietz- Is having a good year from the looks of it, next year he'll be back in the WHL and then we'll see how it goes for him in the AHL after a couple of seasons.

Ellis- What a year he's having offensively, can't wait to see him in Hamilton next year, clearly we have solid depth among our D prospects as imo it's our biggest strength with Beaulieu, Tinordi, Bennett and Ellis at the top.

Stejskal- Has struggled at times this year, but he'll have a couple years to round out his game and get more comfortable out there. With the depth we have on D among our prospects, he will be hard pressed to get ice time.
Thanks for the insight. Any insight on what we should be targeting up front given the qualities of these players?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
I wanted to talk to the scouts that frequent these boards about the depth of our prospect pool. The more this season goes on, the more our team is relying on youth. This year, for all of its up and downs, is a great learning experience for our young players and we have an opportunity to really stack up on young talent with a number of expiring contracts this year.

If we look at our prospect pool under 25, I see:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Leblanc - Eller - Kristo
MacMillan - Bournival - Palushaj
Schultz - White - Blunden

Emelin - Subban
Tinordi - Beaulieu
Bennett - Weber

Price
x

What's our biggest organizational need? Who are the players that we should be targeting at the draft? Who's realistic? Who may be flying under the radar?

We have a lot of prospects but where do they measure up? We have Berger, Archambault, Fortier, Pribyl, Avtsin, Holland, Berger, Trunev, Dietz, Ellis and Stejskal. What is their potential?

I think with our transition this year to youth, a lot of fans, who would otherwise not pay much attention to the draft, may take a lot more interest this year.

Let's start a discussion on the draft. A lot of you have some great insight into prospects and it would be great to hear it.
Keeps going back to a #1 center. They are hard to acquire but a necessary for a Cup.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Any insight on what we should be targeting up front given the qualities of these players?
yes, better players.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:43 AM
Ginu

Quote:
yes, better players.
Haha better centers or wingers? How does our depth compare?

Old
02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Haha better centers or wingers? How does our depth compare?
nothing much down the middle. I would go hard after JT Brown an undrafted FA, reminds me a little of Pacioretty, but more physical less offense.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Protest the Hero

Two highly offensive players is what we're lacking in the under 25 department, centre or not imo.

Old
02-14-2012, 12:10 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Two highly offensive players is what we're lacking in the under 25 department, centre or not imo.
I know Gomez is over 25 but I find the quality of his play highly offensive . . .

Old
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

Brendan Gallagher: Best of the West

As per a Tri-City Herald Survey.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2012/02...y-contributor/

Lots of praise from Gallagher towards his goalie Adam Morrison, shows the kind of character he has.

Old
02-14-2012, 04:41 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Claude Lemieux's son Brendan Lemieux has committed to North Dakota. North Dakota is also getting an outdoor game next season against UNO (good news for MacMillan for sure, Kristo if he goes back for his senior year).

Old
02-14-2012, 10:31 PM
NWT Habs Fan

Gallagher with a goal tonight against Tri-City and Patrick Holland. That now gives him sole possession of the Vancouver Giants all time goal scoring record. He is also inching closer to the all time points record as well, and the all time assist record is a little bit off but also within reach.

Congrats.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:38 PM
badfish
Habs fan in SK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWT Habs Fan View Post
Gallagher with a goal tonight against Tri-City and Patrick Holland. That now gives him sole possession of the Vancouver Giants all time goal scoring record. He is also inching closer to the all time points record as well, and the all time assist record is a little bit off but also within reach.

Congrats.
Hey I am from the NWT too. Is there a channel you are watching this on?

Old
02-14-2012, 11:52 PM
patsbury

Hat trick for Gallagher, 129 career goals, set a franchise record for Giants; he also scored in SO. Holland with 2 assists.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
...I would go hard after JT Brown an undrafted FA, reminds me a little of Pacioretty, but more physical less offense.
A more physical Pacioretty? At 5'10" and 170 lbs? Unless I am mistaken, you want to go hard after this guy:

JT BROWN

Maybe...but can you explain the comparison to Pacioretty?

Old
02-15-2012, 08:49 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
A more physical Pacioretty? At 5'10" and 170 lbs? Unless I am mistaken, you want to go hard after this guy:

JT BROWN

I believe he said that Brown "reminds him a little of Pacioretty" but more physical but less offense. I don't think he's comparing Brown's size to Pacioretty as much as his style of play. Just my 2 cents.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

JT BROWN

I would like to see us agressive in possibly getting 2-3 good NCAA free agents, especially a goalie(Rawlings or Dell?) and a couple high upside forwards. We can promise them a few NHL games to get to RFA sooner if needed.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I would like to see us agressive in possibly getting 2-3 good NCAA free agents, especially a goalie(Rawlings or Dell?) and a couple high upside forwards. We can promise them a few NHL games to get to RFA sooner if needed.
These NCAA signings are almost always garbage. You certainly aren't going to find any high upside forwards.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:07 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
These NCAA signings are almost always garbage. You certainly aren't going to find any high upside forwards.
Guys like Kunitz Penner Bozak Read have worked out well, Butler Dacosta and others look pretty good...and that's just off the top of my head.

We have to be constantly scouring for FA's in the CHL, NCAA and Europe. Desharnais and Diaz have been two recent solid signings.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
50 contracts max. and all these players coming in next year:

Gallagher
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis
Bournival
Pateryn
Holland

maybe Kristo
maybe Bennett

That leaves very little space to sign anyone or to be aggressive towards any UFA.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
50 contracts max. and all these players coming in next year:

Gallagher
Beaulieu
Tinordi
Ellis
Bournival
Pateryn
Holland

maybe Kristo
maybe Bennett

That leaves very little space to sign anyone or to be aggressive towards any UFA.
I think at 22(next summer) Kristo is pretty much a lock to go pro.

We are at 49 and guys like Moen AK Gill Campoli Darche are NHL UFA's.

In the AHL guys like Stafford Willsie Nash Fortier Bishop Mitera Masse Lawson Callahan Conboy Henry Engqvist St Denis all have expiring contracts.

That leaves 31 signed players and NHL RFA's. Guys like St.Denis Mitera Nokelainen and Plaushaj could be traded as they have to pass waivers. Lots of flexibility if we can get 2-3 good FA's(CHL EURO or NCAA).

Old
02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2012/02/j...ben-blood.html

here's his hit on Ben Blood. I know that just about every NHL team has scouted him this year and he's one of the top undrafted FA's. He leads his team in goals and plays a solid physical game, has a thick compact frame and moves well.

I don't use hockeydb for up to date size.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2012/02/j...ben-blood.html

here's his hit on Ben Blood. I know that just about every NHL team has scouted him this year and he's one of the top undrafted FA's. He leads his team in goals and plays a solid physical game, has a thick compact frame and moves well.

I don't use hockeydb for up to date size.
In this video he kind of looks like Lucic lol

Closed Thread