HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 10 Worst Montreal Canadiens Players In Recent History

Old
02-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Slashers98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
If they're going back to the last Cup win, the runaway winner of this contest is Pierre Sevigny. Once went 32 games over two seasons without even registering a point, despite some time on a line with Kirk Muller. Couldn't skate at all. Couldn't pass, shoot or hit either.

Their honourable mentions are quite brutal. Valeri Bure had a 20 goal season and he's on the list for worst Habs players? Perezhogin? Gomez?

Actual terrible hockey players that should be honourable mentions:

Yves Sarault (just missed the 25 game cut off, 1 point in 22 games for the Habs)
Mark Lamb - all that was left from Carbonneau after a series of bad trades; 1 pt in 39 games.
Donald Brashear - had an okay career elsewhere but terrible with the CH, the only thing he did of value was shoot a puck at his coach in practice.
Mick Vukota - worst player to ever lace up the skates for the Habs, but only 22 games
Scott Lachance - awful awful awful
Sylvain Blouin - 22 games seems to be the max for useless enforcers. Montreal acquired this guy twice.
Andrei Bashkirov - brought in to help the offence, 0 goals in 30 games.
Trent McCleary - feel bad for the guy's injury but he was absolutely terrible. Given a sympathy contract for 1999-2000.
Jim Cummins - a disgrace to the # 29
Reid Simpson - actually worse than Todd Simpson
Greg Stewart - proof that enforcers only hurt the team, not help
Ben Maxwell - played 20 games and did absolutely nothing. People were actually upset when he got traded.
Nice list with explanations!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Roxor

Send a message via MSN to Roxor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
So all those Gordie Howe records were only myths, damn you canadian media propaganda !

no love for Johan Witehall ?
Funny, i thought the same.

I always thought Witehall was clearly the worst player to play for the habs in recent history. The guy was BRUTAL in every aspect of the game. He didn't bring ANYTHING useful.

Roxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashers98 View Post
Nice list with explanations!
Some real beauties! Mick Vukota! Sylvain Blouin!

But if you walk to talk truly talentless, look no further than...Normand Baron.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuck View Post
in 41 games ? hahahaha
I'm pretty sure that's a hyperbole.

At least, I hope so...

Otherwise, there's a very special place in history for this man.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Andros777

I don't think Kyle Chipchura should be on the list. If his skating had just been a bit better (AT injury) he would have been an awesome bottom six guy.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 09:31 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
The obvious answer is Georges Laraque. An embarrassment to the franchise.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
As much as people hate Gomez around here, I don't think he should be on the list or an "honorable mention".

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Clipitar

I'm still looking for Karl Dykhuis...

I know he wasn't Patrick-Traverse-bad, but not that far from it. Thinking of his name brings back hurtful memories.

Dykhuis was barely NHL-caliber, at least during his late-career stint with the Habs. He deserves HM if not top-10.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Mike8

Pretty bad list, I think. And to call Juha Lind slow is peculiar; he was probably the fastest player on the team.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
I'm still looking for Karl Dykhuis...

I know he wasn't Patrick-Traverse-bad, but not that far from it. Thinking of his name brings back hurtful memories.

Dykhuis was barely NHL-caliber, at least during his late-career stint with the Habs. He deserves HM if not top-10.
Yeah, he was bad. But when acquired, he did come with 40 games of playoff experience... which is worth something, I guess. I'll always remember him as one of the last examples (I believe) of players being straight up traded for cash. Must have popped on Montreal's radar when they saw Tampa Bay trade him for Svoboda the year before, haha.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Slashers98

Wow, so much love for Gomez, I'm shell-shocked!

Old
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Pretty bad list, I think. And to call Juha Lind slow is peculiar; he was probably the fastest player on the team.
Instead of complaining, give us your top 10!

Old
02-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yeah, he was bad. But when acquired, he did come with 40 games of playoff experience... which is worth something, I guess. I'll always remember him as one of the last examples (I believe) of players being straight up traded for cash. Must have popped on Montreal's radar when they saw Tampa Bay trade him for Svoboda the year before, haha.
Yes Dykhuis played 288 games for the Habs, scoring 21 goals and 32 assists for 53 points and +15 rating. I really don't think he was a good player, but he's certainly not among the worst.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, he did have some NHL skating history prior to joining the Habs. Maybe it were these 40 games of playoff experience, but the coaching staff sure thought he was worthy of top-4 minutes for a good while during his Habs tenure.

I guess when you have a guy like Traverse for your bottom-pairing it kinda makes sense to have Dykhuis as your #4...

But this thread brings to my attention players who used to play a prominent role on the Habs. I know there are tons of bottom-sixers, bottom-pairers, NHL/AHL tweeners, 1st-rounder busts we can think of (lots of them have mentioned so far), but the real ones that make me cringe now that I'm recalling this highly depressive era are ones who were playing quality minutes yet had no business being there in the first place.

If Dykhuis had been Montreal's #7 D in the early 2000's, I probably wouldn't be thinking of him right now...

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:21 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Andre Racicot /thread

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHMB Prez View Post
Andre Racicot /thread
"Red Light"... 'nuff said.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Dharvey33

Garth Murray should be in the top 5 talk about a guy that does nothing he don't fight he don't grind he don't go in the corner he don't score. He was useless.

Jonas Hoglund that's a funny one he was a piece of crap in mtl and then when traded to the maple leafs became a 20 goals scorer.

Jan Bulis should be on the list also talk about a huge bust except his 4 goals night he sucked hard.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Dirk also got penalties on his first two shifts with us.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Garth Murray should be in the top 5 talk about a guy that does nothing he don't fight he don't grind he don't go in the corner he don't score. He was useless.

Jonas Hoglund that's a funny one he was a piece of crap in mtl and then when traded to the maple leafs became a 20 goals scorer.

Jan Bulis should be on the list also talk about a huge bust except his 4 goals night he sucked hard.
Garth Murray wasn't great, but I remember him working hard and fighting. No idea who you're thinking about.

And while we all expected more from Bulis offensively, he was a good two way player that scored 20 goals one season. By no means is he close to being the worst.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Dharvey33

Haha i remember sylvain blouin and Scott Lachance this is bringing back some painfull memories.

Campoli is this year's worst habs by a mile what a useless piece of ****.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Greg Stewart - proof that enforcers only hurt the team, not help
What a moronic statement. It doesn't prove anything. How about this? David Aebischer-Proof that goalies only hurt the team not help.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Garth Murray wasn't great, but I remember him working hard and fighting. No idea who you're thinking about.

And while we all expected more from Bulis offensively, he was a good two way player that scored 20 goals one season. By no means is he close to being the worst.
Bulis was far from the worst but was the most frustrating to watch because we all tought he could be great instead he was a third line grinder. In let down player he is in the top.

Maybe i'm mistaking Murray with Aaron Downey i know one of the two was the worst player a team could have.

Old
02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Dirk also got penalties on his first two shifts with us.
And was seriously injured on the third. Perhaps the injury curse can have it's beginnings traced to Dirk.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Mad Habber

Some of these guys definately donít belong on here. Perezoghin, Gomez unless you are only counting the last year which you shouldnít otherwise youíd have to include Gorges when he first came in after the Rivet trade until he got a regular spot the following year. Others mentioned though, I agree and Iíll add a few names to the growing list:

Miloslav Guren - played 36 games 1 goal 3 assist. Offensive D. A deer caught in the headlights every time I saw him on the ice.

Eric Houde - 30-2-3-5. Small, worked hard enough, just didnít have it.

Eric Chouinard - 13-1-3-4. Took him all period to get from one end o the ice to the other. Picked over Gagne.

Marcel Hossa - Already mentioned 59-10-9-19. Looked like a future superstar in his first week, when called up. Looked like Kostitsyn last night after. But at least he got us that great Garth.

Garth Murray - the Great Garth - 80-7-2-9. Couldnít fight, couldnít pass, couldnít shoot. But that hair. I guess that was worth the contract.

Martti Jarventie - only played 1 game, but another one of those vet Euro to bring in offense. Just another undersized D that couldnít contain even small opposing forwards.

Marko Kiprusoff - 24-0-4-4. The Forgotten Finnish Flash. Came in at the same time as Koivu.

David Wilkie - 91-8-14-22. Just a bad D. For someone known for his shot, he didnít use it nearly enough.

Darryl Shannon - 7-0-0-0. Only 7 games of suck for us, but memorable ones.

Francis Belanger - 10-0-0-0. I guess he was a goon, but not much of one.

Barry Richter - 25-0-2-2. A good stay at home physical defenseman. Thatís what Houle said. He was thinking of Dave Richter from a decade before.

Eric Landry - 53-4-8-12. A good worker. A bit undersized, just not good enough.
And others like Jim Montgomery (Guy Carbonneau Jr), Gerry Fleming, Brad Brown, Francois Groleau, Les Kuntar, Frederic Chabot, David (Missing) Ling, Benoit Gratton,

And then, we had the borderliners. Like Jim Campbell, Patrick Poulin, Xavier Delisle, Jason Dawe, Zarley Zalapski, Jassen Cullimore, Bryan Fogarty, Murray Baron,

Iím adding Tom Kotsopoulosí name here. Couldnít shoot, couldnít pass. Couldnít fight. Only in the NHL because of his work habits.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:22 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Bulis was far from the worst but was the most frustrating to watch because we all tought he could be great instead he was a third line grinder. In let down player he is in the top.

Maybe i'm mistaking Murray with Aaron Downey i know one of the two was the worst player a team could have.
I agree with Bulis as a let down. I always felt he could have done more.

You must be thinking of Downey. He did nothing but lose fights. Murray at least played hard.

Anyone remember Gordie Dwyer? Worst. Enforcer. Ever.