HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Erik Karlsson Thread

View Poll Results: Does karlsson break the senators points record for a defenseman?
Yes 180 93.26%
No 13 6.74%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-14-2012, 10:46 AM
HSF

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Why should they pay him more now? His willingness to sign or not is no big deal. As a RFA the ball will not be in his court. What other option does he have? What could he do if he didn't sign the 1, 2 or 3 year offer from the Sens. Sit out like Turris did? I don't think so!

There is no reason that the Sens should overpay him to sign a 3 year contract since he's not giving up anything and he has no real bargaining power. They'll make a fair offer because they recognize his value to the team and they are a class act but it's not because they have to.
pretty hard to "overpay" a 70 pt defensemen. At this point he is easily worth 5+ mill.

HSF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:47 AM
N Bahn Ahden

Generally I don't like the monster contracts (6-7+ years), but if there was ever a guy I'd give one to, it's Karlsson. If you get him for three years, be prepared for that next contract to be absolutely massive.

N Bahn Ahden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 10:54 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

"Intriguing" as in expensive?

What's so intriguing about it?

It's still early days.

I'm not a huge fan of extremely long contracts.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:01 AM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
How about: 300 years, 3 million per.
I like it, keep him motivated for the big UFA pay day.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Evgeni Giroux

Sabres fan here,

first off Karlsson is an unbelievable talent and is with what he will be making.

I would say he will be making no less than Myers money 5.5m and no more than Doughty 7.5m

My guess would be 6 years @ 6 million per

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Rumcajs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
3 years 300 million, get it done.
Isn't that backwards? 300 years for 3 million.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:49 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Intriguing that it would probably cost us more to ink him for 3 yrs than 4. All that though presumes ufa ages etc dont change. This is a tough summer perhaps for long term planning and commitments.

If we were to sign him for his 4 years of rfa and then say another 4-6 years of ufa, what would his average salary be expected as, i guess $7-8 mil a year? That being primarily his ufa value?

If we are to sign him as an rfa for 3 years, i guess its completely arbitration determinant. Not that he will necessarily want to go, or the team will want to take him, but the idea of what would an arbitrator offer him at this stage of development will guide his value.

So i would hope 3 years at $6.5 is too much; that is more approaching ufa values.

On the other hand, a long term life time contract, with 4 cheap rfa years up front, and as daring a tail years as we are allowed to get away with, and considering everyone wants him for life anyway, why not take advantage of the benefit that risk can provide?

A properly structured long term contract could sign him to a great cap value for life, kinda like Hossa's, maybe a little more money. Wouldnt that be worth it? Can always buy him out at one third value until 26 yrs old. Can always overcome his injury by remaining a cap team and spending his money on someone else while insurance covers his. Its not that big a risk and its got a huge benefit. Why not go for it now before they potentially change our ability to take that kind of advantage in the next cba?

A 30 year old alfie was forced to sign a cheap rfa one year contract btw.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:16 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

I don't get the point of signing him to a 3 year contract at a higher cost than a long term at a lower cost.

Unless they somehow agree that they would completely overload this contract while we have cap space during the rebuild (ie. $8M+ per), in order to sign him long term after those 3 years at a much lower cap hit in order to have a competitive team.

Basically like front-loading the first contract in order to get him cheaper on the second one once we're an elite team.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 02:28 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
I'm sure he'll get Yandle type of salary

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:48 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

I'd guess we go for $5.5M x 3 Yrs

Then he gets his payday on his next contract.

02-14-2012, 03:54 PM
kellmuff96

If Murray can pull of a 3 year deal for Karlsson it will literally be the best move any GM has made with an RFA in the last 10 years

kellmuff96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
I don't get the point of signing him to a 3 year contract at a higher cost than a long term at a lower cost.

Unless they somehow agree that they would completely overload this contract while we have cap space during the rebuild (ie. $8M+ per), in order to sign him long term after those 3 years at a much lower cap hit in order to have a competitive team.

Basically like front-loading the first contract in order to get him cheaper on the second one once we're an elite team.
If it's longer term, the cost would probably be higher. Like 8 years vs 3 years. 8 years covers his prime years, so it would likely have to be more or at least the same as a 3 year deal.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Give EK whatever the kid wants... As long as it's 5+ years...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Give EK whatever the kid wants... As long as it's 5+ years...
The point is to make sure he's an RFA at the next contract, meaning he has less leverage.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 08:19 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundraman View Post
Why should they pay him more now? His willingness to sign or not is no big deal. As a RFA the ball will not be in his court. What other option does he have? What could he do if he didn't sign the 1, 2 or 3 year offer from the Sens. Sit out like Turris did? I don't think so!

There is no reason that the Sens should overpay him to sign a 3 year contract since he's not giving up anything and he has no real bargaining power. They'll make a fair offer because they recognize his value to the team and they are a class act but it's not because they have to.
I'm not arguing for or against it, just relaying what was actually posted by Yost.

Personally, I think that Karlsson is indeed a guy that you want to give a life time contract to. He's a "franchise player".

Ottawa is a good place to be. We had no trouble keeping Alfie for his whole career, we could have had Hossa if Muckler wasn't such a moron. Redden went through several contracts as did Fisher, etc...

The money is there. It's not like the old days.

Keeping Karlsson on a short term, yet rewarding him for his amazing production is a good business sense and fair for the player.

Contracts that run well past the shelf life of the current CBA are not good from a purely business stand point.

In my not so humble opinion at least.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

It'll probably be one of the few contracts that no one will complain about.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
It'll probably be one of the few contracts that no one will complain about.
You know some people have either adapted or are programmed to ***** about the un*****able, right?

Old
02-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Step
GO SENS GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
Sabres fan here,

first off Karlsson is an unbelievable talent and is with what he will be making.

I would say he will be making no less than Myers money 5.5m and no more than Doughty 7.5m

My guess would be 6 years @ 6 million per
I still think 6 @ 6 would be a bit risky, especially considering his RFA status. I'd be comfy with 3 years @ 5.5m.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:47 AM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

Why do any of us care how much Karlsson makes in the first place?

Where does a fan's "comfort level" fit in to the equation?

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Dionysus

Let me know when its all signed. This shouldn't be a hard deal to get done. 3 years, 5-6 million. Gives both sides flexibility, as right now Karlsson's future looks really bright, but where he is in 3 years is a huge mystery.

Dionysus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

Kid's unreal.

Leads D-men in assists (42, next best Campbell 35).
4th in goals (10, Garrison has 13, Kronwall 12, Weber 11)
30th in +/- with a +10, +16 is good for 10th. Bos & NYR flood this stat.

Only Norris knock will be he SH TOI which is 0:36 a game. Weber 2:33, Chara 3:01, Lidstrom 1:56.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:33 AM
Northern Neighbour

I would be surprised if Karlsson accepted a three-year deal. I think he'll either want a long-term deal (i.e., 6 or 7 years) to give him security or a four-year deal that takes him right to UFA. A three-year deal doesn't work in his favour at all - less security and he'll be a RFA when the contract expires.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I would be surprised if Karlsson accepted a three-year deal. I think he'll either want a long-term deal (i.e., 6 or 7 years) to give him security or a four-year deal that takes him right to UFA. A three-year deal doesn't work in his favour at all - less security and he'll be a RFA when the contract expires.
It works in his favour if the Sens overpay to keep him there and that is the give and take that is being suggested.

We may find out just how much Karlsson cares about himself as opposed to the team...no one's suggesting he takes less years without getting anything extra in return.

Karlsson: Alfie, what do you think about all this?

Alfie: Well Erik, ultimately it's your life and your earnings but in the past I took less in order to stay here and help the franchise when it's future was in question and I could have went elsewhere for more money. I'm very happy with how things worked out; I wouldn't change a thing.

Old
02-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Northern Neighbour

Not everyone is Alfredsson, who is the exception and not the norm when it comes to contracts.

Karlsson's agent will get him the best value. A three-year deal has huge risks for the Sens as well, as Karlsson's agent could ask for $7M+, citing that a lot of players have front-loaded contracts that average around $7M annually in the first few years and he wants a similar arrangement for his client. He could also argue that a three-year deal doesn't give Karlsson any long-term security, so a higher monetary value is required to sign him on a short-term deal.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 11:58 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Not everyone is Alfredsson, who is the exception and not the norm when it comes to contracts.
Didn't suggest he was...but it is his mentor.

This discussion started because of a claim Karlsson's camp is looking favourably at a shorter deal where he is compensated more than otherwise in order to make sure he's an RFA after his next deal. Whether that's true or not, I don't know.

You suggested he's not going to take less years just to be nice and get nothing in return, that's very likely true....but no one's suggesting he isn't compensated extra if he were to do that.