HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev and Ribeiro speak about Gainey

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Kovalev and Ribeiro speak about Gainey

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...444/CPSPORTS01

Mike Ribeiro dit avoir apprécié l'entraînement même s'il paraissait parfois à bout de souffle. «C'était intense après une bonne partie. Ça nous a permis de maintenir le rythme.»

Ribeiro a aimé la façon dont Gainey donne ses directives. «Il parle de façon constructive, de façon intelligente. Il ne lance pas de paroles en l'air.»

Alex Kovalev a noté un changement depuis l'arrivée de Gainey derrière le banc. «L'équipe semble différente. Pour réussir, un entraîneur doit faire partie de l'équipe. Bob a cette facilité. On dirait qu'on nous a enlevé des menottes. Les joueurs sont plus confiants, moins tendus, moins craintifs de commettre des erreurs.»

Kovalev apprécie surtout le système proposé par Gainey. «Il veut qu'on dirige la rondelle toujours vers l'avant, jamais vers l'arrière.»

Kovalev compare Gainey à Mike Keenan. Celui-ci était l'entraîneur de Kovalev quand les Rangers de New York ont remporté la coupe Stanley en 1994. «Keenan sait comment les joueurs se sentent. Il sait comment ils réagissent. Gainey est pareil. Tout ce qu'il nous a dit samedi s'est passé comme il l'avait prévu. Cela a donné confiance aux joueurs. On le voyait dans leurs yeux.»

---

The handcuffs comment says a lot imo. That's definitely a shot at CJ, it definitely looks like Kovalev was tired of the CJ system. Kudos to Bob for trying to get the speed back into our gameplan.

Old
01-15-2006, 06:25 PM
felixd

vCash: 500
Very positive comments from both Kovalev and public enemy number 1.

With the insane amount of bashing Ribeiro has received lately, I wonder how his bashers will turn this one against him.

Old
01-15-2006, 06:28 PM
SharkGirl27

Send a message via AIM to SharkGirl27
anyone care to translate to english? of give the basic concept in english...thanks in advance

Old
01-15-2006, 06:32 PM
Portishead

Handcuffs..

It might only be me, but I thought that Kovalev, after Ottawa's game played like someone who weren't allowed or shouldn't take chances.. It might only be me, and it is not an attempt at bashing Julien.

But, if your team is not winning, maybe you become more afraid of Kovalev's type of play that can either helps you win or sink a game fast.
If Kovalev's saying that it is like there is not handcuff, well that says alot to me... He'll rack the points 'til the end of this season.

Old
01-15-2006, 06:34 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Great move by Gainey.

He will get this team back on track and the players playing as they should.

Then we can see if the underachivers (Jose, Souray, Ribs, etc.) were because of the coach or because they don't want to play here anymore.

Quick translation:

Kovalev said (whats in bold): "Gainey wants us to move the puck up ice, never backwards."

Ribs said (whats in bold): "Its as if we had handcuffs removed. Players have regained confidance, are less stressed out, have less tension and are less scared of making a mistake."

Old
01-15-2006, 06:34 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSoluteDMB11
anyone care to translate to english? of give the basic concept in english...thanks in advance
Sure thing

Mike Ribeiro apreciated the rhythm of the practice even if he seemed out of breath sometimes. «It was intense after a good game. It let us maintain the rhythm.»

Ribeiro liked the way Gainey gave instructions. «He's a very constructive, intelligent speaker. When he says things, he means them.»

Alex Kovalev has noticed a change sine Bob Gainey's arrival behind the bench.. «The team seems different. In order to have success, a coach has to be part of the team. It's easy for Bob. It's like he took the handcuffs off our hands.The players are more confident, less stressed, less afraid of making mistakes.»

Kovalev really appreciates Gainey's system. «He wants us to move the puck foward, not back.»

Kovalev compares Gainey to Mike Keenan. Keenan was Kovalev's coach when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. «Keenan knows how the players feel. He knows how they react. Gainey is the same. Everything went like he said it would on Saturday. That put confidence in the players. We could see it in their eyes.»

Old
01-15-2006, 06:38 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
YESSSS i am so happy, THANK YOU GAINEY... you see Julien was a conservative!!! and didnt let Kovalev play the way he wanted to.... and thats why we never had players like MARKOV and SOURAY and STREIT jump into the play.

Old
01-15-2006, 06:42 PM
SharkGirl27

Send a message via AIM to SharkGirl27
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
Sure thing

Mike Ribeiro apreciated the rhythm of the practice even if he seemed out of breath sometimes. «It was intense after a good game. It let us maintain the rhythm.»

Ribeiro liked the way Gainey gave instructions. «He's a very constructive, intelligent speaker. When he says things, he means them.»

Alex Kovalev has noticed a change sine Bob Gainey's arrival behind the bench.. «The team seems different. In order to have success, a coach has to be part of the team. It's easy for Bob. It's like he took the handcuffs off our hands.The players are more confident, less stressed, less afraid of making mistakes.»

Kovalev really appreciates Gainey's system. «He wants us to move the puck foward, not back.»

Kovalev compares Gainey to Mike Keenan. Keenan was Kovalev's coach when the Rangers won the Stanley Cup. «Keenan knows how the players feel. He knows how they react. Gainey is the same. Everything went like he said it would on Saturday. That put confidence in the players. We could see it in their eyes.»
thank you...much appreciated

Old
01-15-2006, 07:08 PM
larue*

Dont read too much into this.....Lets just be glad that we have confindence behind the bench.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:19 PM
AH

I still don't understand why CJ completely did a 180 on strategy on strategy.

The puck going backwards comment by Kovalev is accurate. I saw a lot of that the last 25 games, something I didn't see all of 2003-2004 and the first 1/4 of this season.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:58 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd
With the insane amount of bashing Ribeiro has received lately, I wonder how his bashers will turn this one against him.
They'll wait until he doesn't deliver on the ice, then they will say, and rightfully so, that he's full of ****.

Old
01-15-2006, 08:21 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
I still don't understand why CJ completely did a 180 on strategy on strategy.

The puck going backwards comment by Kovalev is accurate. I saw a lot of that the last 25 games, something I didn't see all of 2003-2004 and the first 1/4 of this season.
Back then CJ used to play rookies too. He gave chances to the guys that could bring this team farther at the time (ie Dagenais, Ribeiro, Ryder). This season he had that same chance with some very good rookies and he didn't.

I don't know what changed with Julien but he wasn't doing things the same way and Gainey who's a very patient man, who's almost never fired coaches, felt he had to do so this time.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:11 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH²
Back then CJ used to play rookies too. He gave chances to the guys that could bring this team farther at the time (ie Dagenais, Ribeiro, Ryder). This season he had that same chance with some very good rookies and he didn't.

I don't know what changed with Julien but he wasn't doing things the same way and Gainey who's a very patient man, who's almost never fired coaches, felt he had to do so this time.
There were two very suprising and dissapointing things about Jullien's coaching style.

Our defensemen couldn't jump into the play, we put we close to the very bottom in points by defenseman as a team in the NHL.

The second was that Jullien who had coached so many of these kids lost confidence in the kids that he brought up to the team!

They played so well in the first month of the season were part of the reason that the team started so well.

I said it in my FIRE JULLIEN post a month ago.... he's a good XOXO coach, but a lousy motivator.. watch guys like Komo and Higgins shine under the guidance of Carbo and Gainey!!!

Old
01-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Rise from the Ashes
Price defies corsi

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
after when Gainey leaves the job to Carbo maybe Julien can be an assistant if Robinson doesnt that that job.

Old
01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Live Forever

Idealy, Robinson should be a coach for our defensemen if his health permits him to

Old
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

Not to defend Julien, but how many times early in the season did the Habs D pinch, get caught on an odd man rush only to see Theo let it in? Confidence inspires confidence and CJ had lost his confidence in the keeper. If he thought Theo would have been able to bail his team out, they could take more chances. It was if he was coaching not to lose as opposed to win.

Old
01-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
Not to defend Julien, but how many times early in the season did the Habs D pinch, get caught on an odd man rush only to see Theo let it in? Confidence inspires confidence and CJ had lost his confidence in the keeper. If he thought Theo would have been able to bail his team out, they could take more chances. It was if he was coaching not to lose as opposed to win.
A lot of people said this many times.

And for the first part, losing confidence in Theo. That only compounded the problem because Theodore is a keeper who will let in one softie/game. It's like he fells compelled to let in a softy. But he can also make miracles at times (altough we haven't been seeing that this season). Theo's always been better with a lot of shots and action. We had problems scoring goals and Theo wasn't making the clutch saves. Julien should have let the boys loose on O.

Old
01-15-2006, 11:35 PM
RedArmyMontreal*

I'm not sure but I believe it was Dandenault after the 4-1 win over Ottowa was asked by a media why the team had so much success during the game. He said Julien asked the defenseman to help out the fowards, and that was not the usual game plan, because according to him, the D plan was to stay back all the time.

Julien almost lost us the season, hopefully it's not too late..

Old
01-16-2006, 12:35 AM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94
I wasn't following these boards much in Dec , so perhaps this has been posted alot: that Julien had to pullback the D and play safe since Oct.... bec Theo couldn't be counted on to bail them out when mistakes were made...... but it sure makes sense doesn't it. A team is only as good as its goalie is (generally speaking) and Theos play certainly tied Jul's hands in large part....thus leading away from the attacking style shown in October. And CJ had every reason to lose his confidence in Theo!

Old
01-16-2006, 12:56 AM
Azalichio

Send a message via MSN to Azalichio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsurd
I wasn't following these boards much in Dec , so perhaps this has been posted alot: that Julien had to pullback the D and play safe since Oct.... bec Theo couldn't be counted on to bail them out when mistakes were made...... but it sure makes sense doesn't it. A team is only as good as its goalie is (generally speaking) and Theos play certainly tied Jul's hands in large part....thus leading away from the attacking style shown in October. And CJ had every reason to lose his confidence in Theo!
False, a team, especially one like the habs, are as good as their defense is. I don't buy the "teams had to be better defensively because Theo had trouble". The high amount of shots in the past few weeks and especially the amount of scoring chances shows this team can't play that type of game. I've seen too many players taking clean shot or rebound without any D interfering.

Julien wanted to play the trap thinking our D could do the job and he was wrong. This defense is mobile and good at carrying the puck out of the zone. Let them do it and we'll win. We've seen it against the Sens and we've seen it again on saturday.

Old
01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
henson16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azalichio
False, a team, especially one like the habs, are as good as their defense is. I don't buy the "teams had to be better defensively because Theo had trouble". The high amount of shots in the past few weeks and especially the amount of scoring chances shows this team can't play that type of game. I've seen too many players taking clean shot or rebound without any D interfering.

Julien wanted to play the trap thinking our D could do the job and he was wrong. This defense is mobile and good at carrying the puck out of the zone. Let them do it and we'll win. We've seen it against the Sens and we've seen it again on saturday.

Aye. Because of injuries and Theo not making saves, Julien decided to play a more conservative style and it didn't suit this team. Like someone said in another post, he over-adapted.

Old
01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I don't see anything wrong with what Kovalev or Ribeiro said. Are they not allowed to comment on their departed coach? And if so then why does it have to be positive? Maybe they didn't like him...not everyone in life is going to get a long.

Gainey > Julien. Gainey was a MUCH better hockey player than Julien and can no doubt pass on more knowledge to the players IMO.

Closed Thread