HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Offseason? You want to talk about the offseason?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2012, 02:10 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Well, potentially there's Parise and Suter. So that's 2 of the 5 positions filled. Granlund will hopefully develop so that could be another. And then there's Brodin, so, looks like we might actually get some holes filled this offseason.
Suter is going to be heavily recruited along with Parise. I'm iffy if they will come to Minnesota.

Granlund is going to be more of a winger, so yeah...but he might take time to develop.

Brodin I can see getting top 4 minutes but will be like Scandella to some extent. Good games, bad games.

I'm just hoping Phillips turns out to be a first line center.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:57 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Suter is going to be heavily recruited along with Parise. I'm iffy if they will come to Minnesota.

Granlund is going to be more of a winger, so yeah...but he might take time to develop.

Brodin I can see getting top 4 minutes but will be like Scandella to some extent. Good games, bad games.

I'm just hoping Phillips turns out to be a first line center.
Well, I did say 'potentially'.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:31 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
That is a fallacy. We brought in Lundin and that was it. Scandella had the opportunity to outplay Lundin or any of the other defensemen and secure some time with the Wild, it's just that it might have been better if he had started out in Houston. He did have a try out with the Wild last year and didn't look out of place. But to say he should have been in Houston is not true. He was given the chance to secure a position and he did.
Except that's not either what I said or what happened.

Fletcher went on record a couple times about how Scandella was supposed to start the year in Houston, but his play forced Fletcher to keep him with the big team. CF quite explicitly noted that the plan was always for Scandella to be the first injury call-up, getting big minutes in Houston. He, like a large portion of this forum, had a "top 4 or AHL" mentality about it, and Scandella forced his way into the lineup.

So yes, Scandella was supposed to start the season in Houston. If he had not played a single minute in St. Paul this season, all the people "worried about his future" would be ranting about his potential, and rightfully so. He's been recalled after doing well in Houston, so we'll see whether he's regained his early season form.

Old
02-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm only worried because he's had two concussions in two years.

Old
02-13-2012, 02:47 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm only worried because he's had two concussions in two years.
That too. Not to mention, he could suffer from the Burns' syndrome.

Old
02-13-2012, 03:36 PM
nickschultzfan

We need to assume Bouchard is done. Move Cullen to wing. He's no Bouchard, but he's all we got to replace Bouchard. Granlund as the top-6 center. Cullen has proven that he can't be a productive 2nd line center.

Latendresse should be signed to a 1-year, small deal. Probably won't qualify him. I could also see Fletcher letting him go and signing Ruutu - although that would be just as risky and more expensive.

X-Koivu-Heatley
Lats-Granlund-Setoguchi
Cullen-Brodziak-Clutterbuck

Old
02-13-2012, 04:57 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
We need to assume Bouchard is done. Move Cullen to wing. He's no Bouchard, but he's all we got to replace Bouchard. Granlund as the top-6 center. Cullen has proven that he can't be a productive 2nd line center.

Latendresse should be signed to a 1-year, small deal. Probably won't qualify him. I could also see Fletcher letting him go and signing Ruutu - although that would be just as risky and more expensive.

X-Koivu-Heatley
Lats-Granlund-Setoguchi
100% agree with this. Only thing is that I think Heatley would be better on the left side.

Old
02-14-2012, 07:39 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

X-Koivu-Heatley
Lats-Granlund-Setoguchi
Cullen will likely be used to ease Granlund in. It's highly likely he'll start at wing and be moved to center.

As for Lats, I believe we've been over this far too many times, you're not going to get him signed for less than his QO, so there's no reason to pursue such a path.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:35 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Cullen will likely be used to ease Granlund in. It's highly likely he'll start at wing and be moved to center.

As for Lats, I believe we've been over this far too many times, you're not going to get him signed for less than his QO, so there's no reason to pursue such a path.
Probably, but I'm calling the switch once Cullen tails off after 10 games and Granlund gets the hang of the NHL.

Old
02-14-2012, 08:38 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Probably, but I'm calling the switch once Cullen tails off after 10 games and Granlund gets the hang of the NHL.
Yeah, I think Cullen will end the season on the wing with Granlund at center. It's just a question of how long that takes.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I always thought Granlund would play wing, being 5'9 and all.

Old
02-14-2012, 09:18 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Yeah, i just don't see Granlund at center.

Coyle, yes. Larsson, yes. Granlund, no.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I've seen him listed 5'8", 5'10", and even 5'11" once or twice. Does anyone know what his actual height is?

Old
02-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Not scientific, but I saw him at the draft and he couldn't have been taller than 5'10 in dress shoes. I'm guessing an honest 5'9.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:08 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'm expecting the lines for next year to look something like this:

Heater - Koivu - Seto
Lats (hopefully) - Granlund - Clutter
Cullen - Brodziak - Johnson
? - Powe - ?

Schultz - Zids (****)
Scandy - Spurgy
Falk - ?
?

Backstrom
?

I doubt Fletcher gets any Free Agents worth mentioning at all and it will be a repeat of this year with the usual significant injuries and crap performances.

Old
02-14-2012, 10:44 PM
Doobz89

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post

Heater - Koivu - Seto
? - Powe - ?

Schultz - Zids (****)
Scandy - Spurgy
Falk - ?
?

Backstrom
?

I doubt Fletcher gets any Free Agents worth mentioning at all and it will be a repeat of this year with the usual significant injuries and crap performances.
Brutal, if those are the lines next year

Old
02-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
I've seen him listed 5'8", 5'10", and even 5'11" once or twice. Does anyone know what his actual height is?
It's 179cm, (which is roughly 5' 10.5") according to himself, sm-liiga.fi and hifk.fi. I highly doubt that he'd be lying about his height..

Old
02-15-2012, 07:59 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post

Heater - Koivu - Seto
? - Powe - ?

Schultz - Zids (****)
Scandy - Spurgy
Falk - ?
?

Backstrom
?

There's only two scenarios I can imagine Bulmer not making the team: We sign a free agent over him, or a different rookie (like Larsson) beats him out in camp. With the losing streak, if Brodziak's not re-signed by the deadline (Russo has reported Fletcher having discussions about that with him) I think he's going to be moved.

Old
02-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Personally I'd like to see as many guys from this team gone as possible. The more the merrier. Go ahead and "rush" some prospects up here. We can't be the only team in the NHL who can't occasionally have an 18- or 19-year old contribute.

We need to find a #1 center in the draft as well as a #1 defenseman. We've got the goalie. Granlund, Zucker, and Phillips have potential to be great wingers for the team. Coyle can be a #2a center along with Koivu. But I think we're missing that gamebreaking center. And obviously on D there's a bunch of mediocrity and then Brodin. A big defenseman who can log minutes and has some hockey smarts and hands is key.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I think as soon as Granlund is actually signed, we might see this organization change the way it lets Koivu run the damned show.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Personally I'd like to see as many guys from this team gone as possible. The more the merrier. Go ahead and "rush" some prospects up here. We can't be the only team in the NHL who can't occasionally have an 18- or 19-year old contribute.

We need to find a #1 center in the draft as well as a #1 defenseman. We've got the goalie. Granlund, Zucker, and Phillips have potential to be great wingers for the team. Coyle can be a #2a center along with Koivu. But I think we're missing that gamebreaking center. And obviously on D there's a bunch of mediocrity and then Brodin. A big defenseman who can log minutes and has some hockey smarts and hands is key.
We could follow the Edmonton model, but have you watched an Edmonton game lately? I don't even like the team and it hurts to watch what happens to all the young players who just need some more veteran support. I don't mind having those younger players make an impact on the team, but looking at our options for next year, I really don't think Phillips is ready for the NHL. Another year of CHL probably harmed him, and he'll need a year in Houston to undo that "playing against lesser talent" mentality. Bulmer would have stayed with the team this year if we hadn't grabbed Johnson. I'd like to go into camp with a couple spots for rookies to win, but I don't think we should just sell off everyone to make room for them. At this point we should have an open spot for Granlund, a open spot on D, and one other forward spot open for Bulmer, Larsson, and any other takers to try fight for.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What about Philly? Or Chicago? There are teams that had success post lockout that had kids in the lineup. The problem with Edmonton was they had ONLY kids and no defense.

Yeo seems to do better with younger players than vets. So give him some young talent.

Frankly I'd like to see something done about Koivu. He's not acting like a captain in the media, not playing as well as he did two years ago, and the locker room is a complete disaster. That needs to be addressed.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
What about Philly? Or Chicago? There are teams that had success post lockout that had kids in the lineup. The problem with Edmonton was they had ONLY kids and no defense.
The latter sounds much more like this team than the former...

Saying blow the entire team up is a bit of a tired exercise, don't you think? I'd rather just contemplate more realistic scenarios.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:

Yeo seems to do better with younger players than vets. So give him some young talent.

Frankly I'd like to see something done about Koivu. He's not acting like a captain in the media, not playing as well as he did two years ago, and the locker room is a complete disaster. That needs to be addressed.
The key is along the lines with what you're saying though, they had kids in the lineup rather than had a lineup made of kids. Don't forget that those prominent Chicago kids were 1st and 3rd overall draft picks. Leave some spots open for kids to try earn, but don't put them in the lineup for the sake of putting them in the lineup.

Old
02-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's not really blowing up the team though. It's replacing the UFA's with younger players.

Heatley, Koivu, Cullen, Schultz, Backstrom, Setoguchi, Bouchard, Latendresse, Clutterbuck, Powe would still be in the lineup more likely than not.

And a thought occurred to me that, despite ripping on him for his productivity, Cullen was brought in to be a good locker room vet after some issues a couple years back (Nolan?). Clearly there's been issues with Havlat and Zidlicky, and with guys like Koivu and Zanon refusing to talk to the media after losses (especially Koivu, who's supposed to be the captain)...Cullen might actually be doing some good.

Yeo needs to stand up and be a voice to rally around here. A "with us or there's the door" speech might be in order. To assert himself going forward and set the tone for next year and the youth that comes up.

Closed Thread